Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Are Gas Prices Affecting You?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Are Gas Prices Affecting You? Next Topic
Page: of 8

cathy needle
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Cathy
Newnan GA
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2005 :  7:41:22 PM  Show Profile
My daughter and her boyfriend made the trek down from Atlanta to Newnan to visit us and her grandparents. Apparently some folks in Atlanta (probably elsewhere too) are working on turning old oil from fast food restaurants into fuel. Anyone know anything about that?

I agree those of us with land have more of a chance to if the economy goes south, if we can hold onto the land. To garden, I would have to get some pine trees dropped though--now my 1/2 acre lot has no place where it gets 6 hours of sun except the driveway. I'm right now a farmgirl wannabe--I miss my little organic garden with the Ruth Stout mulch. It's amazing really how little land it takes to feed a family with smart farming methods.

Hang in there, Alicia. I'm in that one step forward 2 steps back too. My DH hasn't worked consistently in over a year now, so we're hanging on by our teeth. I get some comfort from a book DH and I bought right when we married in 1973--How To Live On Nothing by Joan Ranson Shortney. Although a lot of the info on mortgages and the like is dated, there's still some good quality data for frugal living. I'll pick it up 2 or 3 times a year when I feel pinched, and somehow hearing how to get a suit from a riding habit, or how to make dandelion wine, or how they cleared the chimney by firing a shotgun up it makes me feel better. The pages are brown and the cover's coming off--I guess someday I need to search Amazon for one in better shape. I've not had the funds yet to pick up Mary Jane's book, but it's on my acquire list. I sat down with it the last time I was at Barnes & Noble quite a while back, and had a hard time putting it back on the shelf.

When you have reached your own room, be kind to those who have chosen different doors and to those who are still in the hall. If they are wrong they need your prayers all the more; and if they are your enemies, then you are under orders to pray for them. That is one of the rules common to the whole house. C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2005 :  8:32:04 PM  Show Profile
Cathy..you sound like such a wise gal! I love your tagline quote too!!!
I used to have a really special pen pal in Newnan and we lost touch. Do you know a Deb Phillips? She had two sons and two daughters who would all be grown by now and we wrote to each other for many years while our kids (my older ones) were growing up. She would be about 46.
I love the Ruth Stout mulch method and am trying to get there, although it is an argument with my husband..he dosn't understand. But I try. I will have to look for the book you mentioned..that is one of the few "back to the land" type books from the 70's that I don't have!!
I am glad you are here!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2005 :  8:48:33 PM  Show Profile
Here's a little encouragement girls: I was watching our local news channel and the gas station I was at that raised it's price by a dollar after I had filled up was fined for price gouging! Some government agency was asking that anyone who was experiencing this "phenomenon" please contact them with the location it was occuring. Although I was outraged, it never occurred to me that they were breaking the law!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

cathy needle
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Cathy
Newnan GA
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2005 :  06:39:29 AM  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by Aunt Jenny

I love the Ruth Stout mulch method and am trying to get there, although it is an argument with my husband..he dosn't understand. But I try.

Thanks for the sweet comments, Jenny. I loved Ruth Stout's method, although some gardeners don't agree with it because she used green mulch too. One of my brothers at church is convinced it robs the nitrogen from the soil. I didn't have that problem, because I used the green the green mulch always went on top or slightly below, never next to the dirt. When I lived in town when I started my postage stamp garden 20 years ago, all I had to do was push my wheelbarrow through the neighborhood and pick up the grass clippings deposited on the curb. I didn't have to worry about pesticides, because these were not picky people--they didn't spray their lawns for anything. Any weeds that sprouted just got plucked out, and over time the added mulch kept the area pretty clean. The only problem I had were slugs, but you just keep a 6-pack of cheap beer in the fridge and pour a little in a couple of bowls sunk in the ground, and you had a lot of dead but happy slugs the next morning.

Jenny, I am not wise--I was fortunate to have parents, and especially a grandmother--who were simple people and valued common sense and responsibility. If I were really wise, I'd have found somebody to drop those pine trees without costing me an arm and a leg so I could get to gardening again!

When you have reached your own room, be kind to those who have chosen different doors and to those who are still in the hall. If they are wrong they need your prayers all the more; and if they are your enemies, then you are under orders to pray for them. That is one of the rules common to the whole house. C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2005 :  10:00:43 AM  Show Profile
What bugs me the most is that we are dependent on nations that hate the US (and are run by dictators)for our fuel . What is wrong with this picture?

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2005 :  11:23:00 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Julia

What bugs me the most is that we are dependent on nations that hate the US (and are run by dictators)for our fuel . What is wrong with this picture?

A lot.
I wish instead of going to war, instead of diverting our funds overseas, we had added scholarships and incentives to kids to develop alternative fuels, and tax breaks and incentives to our car companies to build working models of those cars. We could have been seen as the greenest, most forward-looking nation in the world.
But we blew it over black gold.

Cathy, I find your story inspiring. I want to find a copy of that book! We have had some horribly tight times in the past and a book that mentions things like that - would be so helpful and uplifting at the same time. Sometimes you feel so alone in your efforts to survive on a small budget. Friends want to go out, or come for dinner and you hate to offer them spaghetti! It's harder when you don't know anybody else trying to conserve, to stretch a dollar as far as it can go. My mother has expressed admiration for my ability to stretch a dollar further than she ever thought one could go - but there is something depressing about it too.
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2005 :  12:07:06 PM  Show Profile
I too am trying to drive less, combining errands and such. But no matter how high the gas gets, I won't complanin much because I know any of those hurricane victims would gladly trade places with me! It will get worse befoe it gets better, so we just have to hang in there and do our part. I always told my kids, the hard times make us stronger, we have to be!

I'm not 40 something, I'm 39.95 plus shipping and handling!
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  2:53:01 PM  Show Profile
Haven't been out the last three days, but I noticed today that gas had dropped 10 cents. (3.29 to 3.19) I hope it keeps going that way. My sister in MI says gas has started dropping there too. Did you hear on the news that they're trying to make gas out of pond scum? Hey, whatever works.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  4:32:56 PM  Show Profile
I have heard on the news today crude is coming down alot in price and gas is too...European countries have even offered us their oil reserves! Maybe all this will bring countries of the world closer together and more willing to talk. The world is still dependent on a strong US economy. I hope that it can ease the pressures on the American people's budgets. This is all so strange!

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  9:30:32 PM  Show Profile
Ours hasn't gone up more...still at $2.97 for the cheapest I saw today...may even be down a couple cents.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  10:08:17 PM  Show Profile
The lastest for me is today my oldest daughter said with gas prices that we probably wouldn't see her and her hubby till Thanksgiving. They usually come every other month. Haven't seen them since July. My heart is sad.

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni
Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  03:46:08 AM  Show Profile
I know the gas prices are effecting alot many many people but I have a hard time taking gas from Europe. They have been paying, in there own countries, much more than we have and they are much more conservative of there gas. A mercedes made for a german has much better gas mileage than the ones shipped here and less bell and whistles. We are like spoiled children asking for more candy from children who saved theirs and were'nt gluttens. Most of my relatives still live in Germany, I am 3rd generation American. My grandparents came over in the 1920's when their families were starving after WW1.
I know I am not addressing most of the people on this website but If you look at the US as a whole, are we being greedy?
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  04:40:54 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Marianne - when I look at all the Hummers, Suburbans, F-350 Supercabs, etc. - I have to say Americans ARE greedy. The only folks that need a big vehicle are those that have to move animals or plants or large objects around! Groceries and 2.5 kids don't need all that!

Julia, I haven't broken the news to my own family yet - we were planning on going to see both our folks around the 16th. Now I'm thinking we may not go until Thanksgiving. :(
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  07:18:08 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I feel the US as a whole is greedy. We use 25% of the world's fuel supply. I was at the gas station the other day and this guy comes pulling in driving an F350 extended cab diesel pickup. The thing must have been a block long! It was just him and his son inside. Where I used to work the guys would drive these big Dodge Ram pickups and brag about who had the biggest truck. And most people are still driving like nothing has changed. Everyday when I take my daughter to school I see parents in Tahoes or Suburbans dropping off 1 child. Why does anyone need a vehicle that large if they only have 1 child? Okay -- I'm done now.

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  07:53:37 AM  Show Profile
My hubby has decided to sell his car (still paying on it) and to see how we can do with only one vehicle, I am a stay at home mom. It will be strange as we have been a two car fam for so long.
Lynn, I'll be thinking of you as you break the news to your family. I know it was hard for my daughter to do. I guess we can look at it like the old covered wagon days where you just knew it would be long periods of time between visits. Maybe we should go back to horse and buggy :)

Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  08:30:19 AM  Show Profile
I remember when I was little my mom quit her teaching job to stay home with 4 kids and we only had one car. It is even hard to imagine now. We were all in athletics, 4-H, girlscouts, religion classes etc. How they did it seems foreign this day in age.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  11:20:00 AM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!

I agree that Americans are very greedy in terms of consumption.

I think that the quote that I have sent out in my recent mail art says it all "Let us live simply that others may simply live."

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  11:25:35 AM  Show Profile
I'm with you Connie, we got to learn to live more simply before were ALL trying to just live.....

I'm not 40 something, I'm 39.95 plus shipping and handling!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  1:53:11 PM  Show Profile
When my youngest was about 2 I decided to quit my job to be home with her full-time. We sold one car and just had our van. It was hard because we lived in a condo that really wasn't close to anything and didn't have bus service. If I wanted to do something that involved driving I had to take my hubby to work. But we did it and managed just fine. Hubby brought up the one car thing the other day and I told him no. Both of our cars are paid for and I only average about 3 miles a day on my car. But I want the car available if I need it. Guess I'm getting selfish in my old age!

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  1:56:44 PM  Show Profile
I don't like the word greedy...We are large consumers of resources. To many that is greed; But America is also the most generous nation on the planet, in my belief. We rebuilt Europe twice after 2 world wars, helped Japan rebuild after WW2. We give untold amounts of dollars in aid to poor and developing countries. This latest disaster will be very humbling for us. And a wake up call!

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre

Edited by - MeadowLark on Sep 07 2005 3:52:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

cathy needle
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Cathy
Newnan GA
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  06:35:28 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Meadowlark, that's a good point. I get so focused in my own way of thinking what is right that I forget there are indeed good things too. Look at the awesome response of Americans to the tragedy and the opening of homes, pocketbooks, wallets, churches, stadiums, etc. Way over here in Sargent, GA, less than 5 miles from me, about 20 kids from New Orleans started elementary school this week. A member of our church who teaches there said their moms and dads were worried sick about it, a new place, knowing no one. Our church youth group is getting together school supplies for these kids, who literally have nothing. How can I be depressed about the price of gas when I see these random acts of kindness right in my own neighborhood?

Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  06:17:12 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Great find Claire! Got a chuckle out of it - wish I had a horse!
Go to Top of Page

Kris
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Kris
Bremerton WA
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  5:08:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Kris an AOL message
I'd like to add my .02 here, which, in today's economy isn't worth much! Lol

My man is a manager at an auto parts store (and has been in the bus. for 25 yrs), and there are 2 important things he says the public should know. #1 The auto manufacturers currently have the technology (and have had it for 15 yrs now) and the know-how to make cars get better gas mileage. They choose not to utilize this technology because the oil companies give them kick-backs. By better gas mileage, I'm talking 50 - 60 mpg.

#2 Those cute lil hybrids that are all the rage, and the gov't says they want you to drive? They are a HUGE rip-off. The cost to replace these parts is outrageous! And now, you have 2 systems that have to be repaired rather then just one. When people purchase new cars, they never think of the cost of repairs. It used to be we had "common" cars, so replacement parts were cheaper to manufacture. In addition, these common parts were interchangable between cars. (A starter for a Ford truck was the same for ALL Ford trucks, in ALL years) Today, this is not so. This years Ford truck uses a different starter than LAST years Ford truck. To take that further, a 2000 Ford F-150 uses a different starter than a 2000 Ford F-250. This drives up the price of parts. Today, there are so many car manufacturers that put out so many different kinds of cars, and none of them are interchangeable. Hope I'm not complicating this, or putting anyone to sleep. LOL This goes down to even the simple oil filter which used to be a few bucks, and can now go as high as $100.

I could give you page after page of examples, but you get the picture.

"Remember to play after every storm." Mattie Stepanek
Go to Top of Page

OkieSunflower
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

OK
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2005 :  07:14:05 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Kris. Being married to a mechanic AND a farmer for 26 years--we know the technology is there, but we don't have access to it.

Not only has gas gone up, but have you priced FARM FUEL lately? It was .92 last year when we were planting wheat. It's now over $2.20--yes it's cheaper than road diesel because of the road-taxes. AND...do you think the cost of wheat has gone up..NO! We are making less for a bushel of wheat now than we did in 1979. Also the price of machinery has doubled! Don't even get me started on fertilizer $$$$....

Is there an answer? I don't know what it is, but it's got to stop somewhere.

Signature:
"Nothing is impossible. Some things are just less likely than others." Jonathan Winters
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2005 :  08:16:37 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Okie, that is some scary news for all farmers. Something has to be done.
Wages have not gone up either - for my profession, not in over a decade (which is why I'm self-employed!). Now with gas prices chiming in, it is harder for everyone to make it.

All we can do is keep trying.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Are Gas Prices Affecting You? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page