Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Are Gas Prices Affecting You?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Are Gas Prices Affecting You? Next Topic
Page: of 8

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  1:44:01 PM  Show Profile
I HAD to get gas today...after not driving anywhere at all for two days in my minivan. The cheapest gas I found (in the next town where gas is cheaper, and I had to go anyway) was $2.85. It was $2.32 a week ago. I "only" got $20 worth to last me until payday. About 2 years ago $20 would fill my tank..now it only fills it halfway. I am trying really hard to think about gas usage every time I get in the van to drive now. Luckily we don't have any real gas hog type vehicles. My husband's pickup is a 6 cylinder. Not what he wants to drive for sure..he wants more power..but let me tell ya..he is thankful for it THIS week!
I talked to my son in Calif and their gas (at a beach town on the central coast) was $3.29 yesterday. My husband said that when he got gas this morning the guy told him that the price will be going up 17 cents more this afternoon when the truck comes in to fill their tanks. Crazy!! The station I went to had a big sign up saying that they were not profiteering ...uh...then why did they have to TELL us that?
I have decided to do alot more walking. We have an old 4-wheeler for quick little trips right here in town too...everyone rides them here if you stay off main street. One advantage to a small town for sure.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  2:31:11 PM  Show Profile
Greyghost, I know what you mean. It's just so hard when money is hard to come by these days. I kept the faith the last time stocks went bad and tried to ride it out and I lost $16,000. that I've never made back. You just don't know anymore what to do. I'm sure we'll all get through this eventually. Hopefully with not too many battle scars. Keep the faith!
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  6:22:17 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
MeadowLark - I'm with ya - a pony sounds great to me! I always wanted a horse anyways...
Latest predictions now say that by Spring 06 gas will be $5/gallon. For our little 12 gallon tank in the Celica (manual tranny too) that's $60!!! I don't want to think about the truck (86 Ford F150, with dual tanks).
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  7:34:00 PM  Show Profile
I went to fill up my car tonight and gas went up 10 cents a gallon since 8:30 this AM. It is now $2.79 a gallon. I stopped in the station after taking Steph to school and saw the tanker there with a shipment of fuel. When I went inside I asked the clerk if the gas was going up since they got a delivery. She said she didn't know. Well I had my answer tonight. I would've filled up this AM but had to wait for hubby to get home with some cash. I have been watching the news and one place in GA (I think)gas was over $5 a gallon. Now the media is saying there are shortages of fuel in different area of the country (besides the hurricane affected areas). MeadowLark -- a pony and a cart sound like a good idea. I need to get my 53 year old knees in shape and get out my bicycle!

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  8:01:12 PM  Show Profile
I would have to do a goat cart...this time of year it would be a stinky trip!!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

cathy needle
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Cathy
Newnan GA
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  9:02:20 PM  Show Profile
I'm a new subscriber, y'all are neat folks. As a medical transcriber working at home, I find I'm getting a raise every time the gas prices rise! Which I need since a lot of the work I do is now outsourced overseas. I'm not really driving any differently--the last 2 years I've only gone to town an average of once every week and a half. We've had the big suburbia build-up since our county is part of metro Atlanta, and I usually have to force myself to go to town for necessities.

The last 30 years I've sadly watched our country feed at the trough of short-term thinking. I'm guilty too.

We sure do need home-grown fuel. If I could get ethanol I'd use it. I read MJ's doings on this with interest. It's probably going to take many small folks doing many small things to make big changes. Sometimes crises lead to better things--the 1973 embargo did lead to better gas mileage and some interest in alternative fuels, some of which we still benefit from. I choose to hope.

When you have reached your own room, be kind to those who have chosen different doors and to those who are still in the hall. If they are wrong they need your prayers all the more; and if they are your enemies, then you are under orders to pray for them. That is one of the rules common to the whole house. C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  9:03:23 PM  Show Profile
It has been calculated that if everyone in New Zealand did not purchase a
drop of petrol for one day at all the same time the oil companies could
possibly choke on their stockpiles.

At the same time it would hit the entire industry with a net loss at the
current prices of $1.50 per litre (30 litres for a full tank) $45.00 x a
conservative estimate of 2,000,000 vehicles in NZ that would equate to $90
million dollar loss (one day) to the oil companies and hit their profit
margins.

Therefore September 5th has been informally declared "Stick it up their
butts day".

Motorists of New Zealand should not buy a single drop for that day!

This is being sent to everyone's emails in NZ to get word around. It would be great if it came off.
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2005 :  05:44:48 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Hey Cathy! Welcome to the forum! I had a college roomie years ago from Newnan, and drove through it about 5 years ago. Cute town! At least it was if it had the same build-up as Cartersville has seen in the past couple of years from Atlanta's expansion. (sigh)I don't think any town on the outskirts of Atlanta is safe.

DH is talking about making our own alcohol and changing the vehicles to run off of that. He wants me to do the research so long as I am still stuck mostly flat on my back with a herniated disk. Anybody looked into it?

Hey Helen - I think the US needs to join in on "stick it up their butts" day. Maybe we could get Europe to participate. Imagine the impact :D Even though - they'll make all that money back the next day when people fill up. If we could all go a week without buying gas I think that might make a better statement, but would be difficult to coordinate.
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2005 :  08:24:20 AM  Show Profile
Last night we walked to the grocery store with my little John Deere wagon that I use to haul my gardening stuff around. We felt a little self concious about it but we thought we should get used to this stuff now. We used it instead of a shopping cart and had a nice walk home with the groceries. We were surprised at the number of people who stopped us and told us what a great idea they thought it was. Several expressed dismay that they live too far from the store to do the same.

I this have the "Great American Lawn" in front of my house. I mow it with a reel mower, always have. It's nice not to have to buy gasoline for something as silly as landscaping.

We are buying and insert for our fireplace this weekend so that we can heat the house with wood as much as possible this winter.

I feel like we have been conserving all along and I wonder how much more we can do.

Anyone else have ideas?

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Go to Top of Page

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2005 :  10:46:50 AM  Show Profile
For the first time in a long time I have been able to post more regularly.My hubby and I both work two jobs and we raise all of our meat and have a huge garden.Needless to say we work mega hours and I am tired but we have to to afford our house with our land.The sacrafices we have made to keep everythoing and to spend the least possible has been hard.We have a f250 superduty diese with 4wheel drive.We have to have to haul the cows to the butcher.Someone said to me the other day I had no right to complain about gas prices because we bought such a big truck.But It isn't like we bought it for show.We also travel alot to poultry shows and we haul our chickens plus my Uncle in laws.We will have to cut down on our show because we just can't afford to go.Which is sad.
I drive a little neon.It get 28 city and 33 highway but I travel and 1/2 hour each way to work because we live so far out.I piad 3.18 for regular unleaded yesterday.I am not going anywhere on my days off so I can cut down.I am rearranging my grocery day so that I go on my way home form work.

I feel like I have no idea what to do anymore.I work very hard to try to get ahead and nothing seems to help.We cut 6 cords of wood for this winter.I am canning and freezing all the veggies I can.We have a steer in the freezer,I have broilers growing for this years chicken.I don't buy fancy clothes.I just want once to be able to not worry if something breaks down.I fear we are never gonna get there.
Sorry I am feeling overwhelmed to day.
Alicia

Follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2005 :  11:27:52 AM  Show Profile

My sisters and friends
My husband and I have been planning a trip to Wisconsin for a year now to visit our daughter, son in law and 1 year old grandson. At the same time our oldest son is also planning to drive from Iowa to wisconsin with his lady friend and her two boys this next week. We are hoping to spend 10 days with them and on the road for this visit. We have not seen our son in 5 years! Yesterday our daughter called in tears asking if our plans would change because of the gas price? I had not even considered postponing our trip but was caught up short by the possibility of the gas not being available.I told her the price was still relatively affordable for us if I compared it to what it was going to cost to fly out there. The cheapest I could find advanced tickets was $1200. each and we have to board our pets and get someone to care for our live stock so the cost will be substantial. I told her a gallon of gas was still cheaper than the latte at the local latte stand and less than the cost of a fast food meal and less per gallon than most soft drinks and bottled water. We don't buy any of these things but I know a lot of people who do that are worried about the cost to fill up their car. I can see a lot of fast food and latte stands going out of business before people in this country stop driving. In our area even the whole bean coffee at the supermarket is up to over $15.00 a pound due to the supply loss from the sunami. I have to look at these things in order to see that I can get to Wisconsin to see my children. I am asking for your prayers that we are able to get the gas we need to get there and home.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2005 :  11:40:27 AM  Show Profile
Alicia, You are echoing what most Americans are feeling in their hearts right now. It is overwhelming. Do you remember the '73 gas lines and the energy crisis that followed? We adapted and adjusted. How soon our country forgot that time only 32 years ago. Most of us weren't born yet... I am trying to think something positive and good will result from the wake up call...CONSERVATION. I am hoping it will make us rethink every consumer decision we make 3 times before we purchase. That we will educate ourselves on recycling, reusing, insist our legislators put moneys into alternate energy sources, go back to ways of our ancestors and plant gardens, preserving, mending, ect., expend more of our own energy walking, riding bikes, using public transportation, turning off our lights, turning back our AC or heat, on and on. The living frugally and off the grid movement in the 70's was an ideal...now it will be a necessity!

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre

Edited by - MeadowLark on Sep 02 2005 11:42:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2005 :  11:56:52 AM  Show Profile
Well I guess I am one of those people who drive around by myself in a big Suburban, I didn't want it in the first place but the hubby insisted we were safer in it after our car being totalled by a drunk driver last year. There is no getting rid of it now so we are just going to buy a car that is more gas efficient, I live in the boonies 22 miles to work and wish I could just retire, really ironic thing is I could except for the payment on this gas guzzler!!! A tank of gas in this thing costs me well over $100.00 and lasts 2 weeks. I only work 3 days a week and 10 days a week at home canning and freezing the garden.
My family, us and 5 kids with 10 grands are looking into a large piece of property out of California where we all could live (and have our own commune lol.) Seriously it is time to think about things like this, back to the simple ways of life where families took care of each other. I work in a nursing home and have for 30+ years and still can't believe that people just dump their loved ones on us to care for. I have to tell myself daily that not everyone had the parents I had.Ok sorry about the soapbox

I was Country before Country was COOL!!!!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2005 :  2:36:49 PM  Show Profile
My sister in IL called me today and said she paid $3.59 a gallon for gas today. My $2.79 a gallon doesn't sound so bad now!

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2005 :  3:15:54 PM  Show Profile
Yesterday my Dh gave the official word to think before I drive. No more "quick trips" to get one thing from the grocery store, ect...
The one thing that makes me saddest is that for a community project for our daughter, (we home school) was to be going to shut-ins and having tea with them. For now it has been nixed. We are to go to my daughters for thanksgiving with all my family, the first thanksgiving we will all be together for at least 10 years, don't know if that will happen. It sounds whinny with all that is going on in the south to complain about gas prices, but it is what is in my little world and it does bother me. At least with the extra walking I will loss some weight.

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2005 :  3:47:23 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!

Alicia I feel just like you do and also share Meadowlark's sentiments.

I have managed to cut $1,000 per month from my budget by following the rule that I will spend if it is a "need" but not if it is a "want". And the interesting thing is that I don't feel particularly deprived!!!

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2005 :  6:17:55 PM  Show Profile
Good on ya, Connie!

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni
Go to Top of Page

Ahodge
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Anne
334 SW Well, Fort White FL
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2005 :  7:53:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Ahodge a Yahoo! Message
Day before yesterday gas was 2.63 reg. that morning it jumped up to 2.69, the following morning it went to 2.99, today the gas pumps were closed. It's geing bad.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2005 :  8:01:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow- Gas is 3.10 a gallon here! I spent $44 to fill up my little sunfire :( I feel horrible for everyone down south and I know this is all interconnected-

I just hope the world gets back on track soon! The sunamii, Iraqii War, and now Katrina- lots of things have been going on lately, eh?

Ciao

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2005 :  8:32:53 PM  Show Profile
over $3 here now too!!! I am going to have to make the $20 worth I put in a couple days ago last as long as possible...dang it is nuts!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2005 :  07:10:06 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
This pinch is badbadbad for us, girls.
However, if the recession that economists are starting to predict hits, those of us with land may be in the best shape to weather the storm. We can grow or raise some or most of our own food, we can, we preserve - the effects of gas on shipping food won't hurt us. Hardest part is getting to work and back.
All the articles I have read in the past week predict gas to continue to rise to $4/gallon by Christmas. Then to $5 by Spring. Sigh.

All we can do is tighten our belts and maybe buy a horse!
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2005 :  08:44:24 AM  Show Profile
It IS difficult isn't it . . . and discouraging. But, I just can't help but think that some good things can come out of this. Perhaps all those wonderful ideas that have been sitting "on the back burner" will now come to light. People are going to be looking for, demanding even, alternatives to gasoline and we may just get them. As long as fossil fuels are easy to get and relatively inexpensive there is little reason to move to something different . . . now either things will change or we'll adapt. I have a lot of hope for the future . . . we just need to "think outside of the box" as my hubby says. And when people start thinking outside of the box, there's no telling what amazing ideas will emerge!! I'm going to be looking forward to see what happens and in the mean time, I'll definately be less wasteful and cutting back.
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2005 :  09:29:10 AM  Show Profile
Gas is $3.39 here in Southern IN.
I have walked everywhere I needed to go so far this weekend. I am going to push my bike to my dads to see if he can fix it for me, today or tomorrow.
We do have to make trips to town (about 12 miles) to get alot of our supplies, and I also have to make that trip to get to work. I ahve been trying to get what I need when I go to work. So I don't have to make any extra trips.
I may splurge in a little while, I am debating on taking my Niece & great nephew to a historic train ride that has a "hold-up" on Labor Day weekend. Plus this year all the "hold-up" money goes to Katrina victims. It is about 12 miles from our house. We'll see..... I'm not sure.. My great-nephew is only 4 1/2 I worry that the fake "hold-up" might scare him.
Ok, well I sure rambled on!! I was just going to post our current gas prices!
Go to Top of Page

showmemom
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

karen
carthage mo
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2005 :  10:24:30 AM  Show Profile
ours are $2.99 as of last pm-haven't been out today at all. we're trying to conserve but i drive about 30 miles (one way) to school 2 days a week and teach 2 days a week 60 miles away-so gas is a big part of our budget. i just don't think people realize that for those of us who are rural, there are few alternatives to driving-no subway, no bus, no taxi!

be safe-karen

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

fiddlegirl
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Deborah
Clymer PA
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2005 :  7:36:47 PM  Show Profile
Yes, we here in rural PA also have no public transportation, but we are beginning to make calls to each other in our rural neighborhood. We have decided that if we have a doctor's appt, or something unchangable, we will call each other and see if anything in needed in town. Also, shopping online if looking like a better option for somethings since we don't have to make a ride to the mall 1 hour away. My dh is also looking to carpool to work to his job 40 miles away (that is close I am sure compared to some of you). Good things can come out of all this, less running, more support of local businesses, friendlier neighborhoods. We can hope... Deb
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Are Gas Prices Affecting You? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page