Julie
MaryJane's Farmgirl

60 Posts

Julie
Moscow ID
USA
60 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  09:36:44 AM  Show Profile
Sue Baby, I took a listen to Rosalie Sorrels on Amazon. WOW, for a moment I thought I was rounding the mountain on a big brown horse with Rosalie beside me singing our way back home to the farm... Can’t wait to meet you in New York.

Food Stylin' & Fancy Free
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  11:19:24 AM  Show Profile
For all you bib overall farmgirls.........
upon dusting off my folkie cassettes last night,
(and I do mean DUST )
I remembered that Utah Phillips and Rosalie Sorrels did a recording together called "Long Memory" and on it a song called
"Bury me in my Overalls!!!"
So there ARE others among us.

"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  11:21:56 AM  Show Profile

oh, and Julie.........
Iza countin' the days
Happy trails until then.

BEB

"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

Kathy A.
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Kathy
Utah
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  2:08:22 PM  Show Profile
Blueeggbabe!!! I have been going to post about Rosalie Sorrels for the longest time. She is Great! her songs and stories are so real, real humor, real sorrow, real Joy. She has been described as writing songs so close to the bone you can get nervous just listening to them, one of the original outlaw cowgirl queens, one of the best women in american folk music. and I didn't know about the Utah Phillips connection. I hope to find that recording.
Have a Great time on your trip, Meadowlarks fantasy scenario of you on your trip to NYC. cheered me up more than I can say!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Lacy
True Blue Farmgirl

114 Posts

Lacy
Dallas Texas
114 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  2:53:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Lacy an AOL message
This is so great! I'm only 25, so I was actually introduced to Utah Phillips by an album he did with Ani DiFranco... haha! But I did a little listening to Rosalie Sorrels on iTunes and LOVED it... will have to be my treat to myself before I make my big road trip to Texas! Thanks for the suggestion, Susan!
On another note, has anyone been listening to LeAnn Womack's new CD? It's very old timey country and great!
Go to Top of Page

Julie
MaryJane's Farmgirl

60 Posts

Julie
Moscow ID
USA
60 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  3:16:16 PM  Show Profile
LeAnn Womack is one of the best in country music today. I don't have her new CD yet, but did see her in concert on CMT a few months ago and have heard many of her new tunes on the radio. She has a southern, old country voice.
I only dream of having a voice like hers. She sticks to traditional music, not the bubble gum type. I'm with you on this one Lacy. Safe travel to Texas.

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  3:20:36 PM  Show Profile
Oh BlueEgg I have got to find that recording ( the overall one)! Are the Rosalie and Utah recordings old? What is the best place to order music and FIND music like this? I used to order from the NPR music place but it has been ages ago.... I also need to get Joalie Hollands stuff. Then I will be set for a long cold winter by the fire. I listened to Hollands recordings and they were bliss on Amazon. She took me places...starfilled prairies cold nights and old dust on shoes. Mmmmmmmm.

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  3:26:38 PM  Show Profile
just checked,
AMAZON has one copy!!!
But more are coming and you can hear a clip of "Bury Me...Its about 10 years old I think.
OOOH Gotta run...late for hockey practice!
Boy in truck honking horn!!!
Tomorrow, girls!

J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

Julie
MaryJane's Farmgirl

60 Posts

Julie
Moscow ID
USA
60 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  3:28:21 PM  Show Profile
Hey Meadowlark,Amazon.com is a great place to get all the music. Bring out the wool blanket and hot tea, it’s time for some down time and dreaming.
jb

Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  3:32:46 PM  Show Profile
Our ladies group sponsored a concert by Rosalie, she packed the house, and gave a great performance. She is so representative of lots of the country women, tough and tender. But as for other music, I like country with a Western twist, think Michel Martin Murphy and Bob Wills. I also like Celtic, without Celtic, there would have been no country. Fiddles and bagpipes make me cry. I play piano at church, so that is a big influence. I used to listen to music on the radio on the way to church, but then everything I played would sound like whatever I had just listened to. When all the songs sounded like "Boogey Woogey Choo Choo Train", I stopped listening to the radio.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2005 :  1:16:33 PM  Show Profile
Clare, the song "Bless the Broken Road" by Rascal Flatts was written by Jeff Hanna of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. If you like their version, check out Melodie Crittenden's version, which is, in my opinion, better.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2005 :  1:20:47 PM  Show Profile
Country with a western twist..that is my taste too. And I love to do my housework to bluegrass. It drives my husband crazy for some reason..but I love it.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2005 :  2:14:51 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Amanda! Wow! my list of music to check out is reaching huge porportions! I'm thinking I may have to get all these as my "winter stock", to tide me over and through the long dark days to come here shortly, while I spend my evenings sewing aprons!

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2005 :  2:47:08 PM  Show Profile
How about Alison Krauss??? We LOVE her!
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  11:41:06 PM  Show Profile
Yeah Alison is inspiring. Have you heard songcatchers?
*Wind And Rain* with Gillian Welch is on this, it's from the soundtrack to the movie Songcatchers?

I'm a fan of cindy bullens too.
http://www.cindybullens.com
I met her in 1999....when *as long as you love* came out on Somewhere between Heaven and Earth.

I've been locked in my room, the last 4 hours, doing my muscle memory finger dance, learnt *dance of spring* http://www.jessecook.com/home.html
( pull down the audio and click on the song #4)

Julie I ran away in 1971 to myrtle beach to shag and be a beach bum.Do you miss the beach music?
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  12:45:00 PM  Show Profile
I know some people consider John Denver a joke, but I've just always liked listening to him. In Aspen, at the top of Aspen Mountain, there's a restaurant type place and when we've been there in the summers for hiking, two guys play guitar and sing and do a great job with John Denver's music. Am I the only one?
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  12:50:27 PM  Show Profile
NO! You are not alone! Buried within these pages are lots of us who LOVE John Denver's music. I have a whole collection of JD music, Cd's as well as several old (and cherished) LP's. I've been known to have an afternoon long concert of JD music at my home pretty regularly. You are in good company!

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  12:57:20 PM  Show Profile
Know what you mean about cherished LPs! My husband and I have kept all ours that we merged over 20 years ago - some of his kind of scared me! I've got old John Denver there as well.
Go to Top of Page

Julie
MaryJane's Farmgirl

60 Posts

Julie
Moscow ID
USA
60 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  09:37:29 AM  Show Profile
ByHzGrace, miss the beach music? Do I ever!!!! I spent all my summers camping at Myrtle Beach and moved there in 1984 for 3 years. Sand between my toes, boys everywhere!, pin pals, the Magic Attic and the Pavilion. I knew every inch of the place. I was there 2 years ago for a visit and could not believe how much it has grown. On those cold nights in Idaho, I love to put on my CD of "Beach Music" and listen to 'Carolina Girls’,’ Under the Board Walk', and glide around my apartment dancing the shag (not to be confused with the British version). If you girls are not familiar with the dance, rent the movie "Shag" and you will understand.

I can feel the sea breeze blowing through my hair right now!!!!

Edited by - Julie on Oct 10 2005 12:17:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  2:43:40 PM  Show Profile
I found some eye-candy (Chris Botti) for Julie Bell! Enjoy dear!

Go to Top of Page

Julie
MaryJane's Farmgirl

60 Posts

Julie
Moscow ID
USA
60 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  2:54:23 PM  Show Profile
Woo Hoo Baby!!!!!!!!!

Did that ever make my day or what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks Clare

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  2:54:33 PM  Show Profile
And beings how I'm an equal opportunity gal, here's our nostalgic favorite: John Denver

Edited by - Clare on Oct 10 2005 2:55:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Julie
MaryJane's Farmgirl

60 Posts

Julie
Moscow ID
USA
60 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  3:07:44 PM  Show Profile
Now isn't he just the sweetest*********

Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  3:32:43 PM  Show Profile
I love JD too, he was my fav.
I have most of his music tooo.
shirley
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  3:52:51 PM  Show Profile
....AND.... for Erik, aka goalieboy... didn't forget you! Jolie Holland

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Reading Room: Previous Topic Music Room Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page