Previous Page | Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Music Room Next Topic
Page: of 13

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  4:27:24 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Clare - thanks for that John Denver picture - he's a comfort!
Go to Top of Page

Birdcat
MaryJane's Farmboy

51 Posts

erik

51 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  5:23:16 PM  Show Profile
Ouu la la. Spank you berry mulch, Ms Clare. And fer the Mermaid's Chair, tooski.

--birdcat a.k.a. goalieboy
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  11:53:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Interesting new name choice Erik..hmmmm....Well, you aren't a boy anymore,'cept in spirit,& I guess birdcat is better than bird dog...
Go to Top of Page

Birdcat
MaryJane's Farmboy

51 Posts

erik

51 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  09:21:41 AM  Show Profile
Welllllll, i'm not a goalie, i play defense. Why i picked it is not worth going in to, other than to say that it makes little sense to me in retrospect. And it bugged me. I loved that it opened up a conversation and artwork deluge from the Blue Egg Wonder, though.

Oh yeah, and we were having trouble with my login settings and the only way to fix it was to kill the little tender and pick a new handle.

Birdcat is 'cause my cat's name is Birdy. He's a big boned fuzzy monkey with opposable thumbs like his Da. We're both farmgirls at heart. Me with a hoe, him with a litterbox. Someday we'll be True Blue, like you, Ms Monkeysocks.
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  10:37:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Hubby says it's "True Blue with little else to do"...he lives to mock me & I love it...but perhaps it's a moniker you DON"T want.Ha.
What's new at the Farm now the whirlwind has subsided a bit?
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  11:54:07 AM  Show Profile

Erik-hey-thought-you-was-a-goalie-Birdcat,
No lie..I have a cat named Birdy,too!!!It's short-morphed for Birch, grey and white beauty she is. That's so funny.
I believe a little birdy showed me a picture of you dressed up as a Birdcat for Halloween once....

BEB

www.feedsackfarmgirls.blogspot.com
"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

Birdcat
MaryJane's Farmboy

51 Posts

erik

51 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  12:13:57 PM  Show Profile
Freaky, Ms Blue. In a good way.

Yes. i used to make my costumes out of paper and scotch tape. Wings taped to arms. Whiskers taped to a mask. Tail tucked in my back pocket. I would jump from the fireplace and demand everyone acknowledge i was flying. I was SuperBirdCat. Just last week Dad said i was getting majorly more air than usual...

Ms Fabulous: It's cold here. Today is grey. I have a to do photo list as long as my arm for the new Stitching Room book. There's still some flowers: Hollyhocks, & Blackeyed Susans. The roses are fading fast. We just harvested all the melons. The corn is whithered and dry (oh lord i miss fresh corn already!). Gabe just harvested bushels of plums and dried a boatload of them. It's winter. Time for a new coat and heavy boots. But the creative whirlwind never stops.

Hope this finds you well and warm and snuggling close with your snarky hubby.

Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  9:13:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Snarky hubby awaiting spinal surgery and grumpy from chronic pain and worry and loss of profession..think the dog and I will be the only ones snuggling, but thanks for the good thought.

I'd rather take photographs than weed anytime, how 'bout you?I have bushels of apples to deal with myself. Not an a'peeling thought...
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  10:18:09 PM  Show Profile
Erik..when I saw birdcat I instantly thought "cat bird" as...in the cat bird seat..hmmmmmmmm

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  10:34:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
PS My mom's dog's name is Miss Kitty...
Go to Top of Page

Birdcat
MaryJane's Farmboy

51 Posts

erik

51 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  08:45:34 AM  Show Profile
I think i have the catbird seat at this forum.

Ms Kitty? How fun.

My sympathies to your hubby. How incredibly frustrating.

Well, i have the best of both worlds. As i'm finding shots i'm also pulling weeds. It's a compulsion. I think it makes for better pictures, certainly prettier ones. And sometimes i ask MJ, "can i just weed today?" It's a catharsis.

Did any of you see Neil Young's performace of "When God Made Me" at the Hurricane relief concert? I remember from earlier posts that there are some Neil Young fans here. That was one of the most touching performances i've ever heard. What a beauty that song is.

Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  09:32:03 AM  Show Profile
erikbird,
I did unfortunately miss that concert. The only thing that ever gets between Neil and me in this house is...yep, hockey.
But it was a tough call. I KNEW I was missing it.
I ran out and picked up his new CD "Prarie Wind" the day it was released and adore that cut "When God made me".
I especially get the shivers with the lines....

did He give me the gift of voice so that some could silence me??
did He give me the gift of vision not knowing what I might see??

I recently heard an interview with a post-aneurism Neil that
convinced me that he is better than ever. I am immensely relieved.
I feared the worst...a loss of a BIG conscious voice. Not so.
He is still my hero.

oops..forgot to mention that included in the Prarie Wind recording is a separate DVD with Neil in his recording studio with all the cronies and wife Peggy and old pal Emmy Lou Harris singing backup.
Those aging guys and gals just rock on every level.

"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien

Edited by - BlueEggBabe on Oct 12 2005 09:43:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

Birdcat
MaryJane's Farmboy

51 Posts

erik

51 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  12:30:51 PM  Show Profile
Yes, shivers. I get that, too. I heard that interview. It was remarkable. I enjoyed when he told the story of writing the "When God Made Me" song. He said that that song was channeling through him but he didn't know why. It was too different, from wayyy left field. When he expressed his consternation to the sound engineer the fellow said "watch this." and he was able to mechanically crank open the baffled ceiling and reveal a cathedral ceiling with stained glass windows. They were recording in an old church that had been converted into a recording studio.

That song expresses everything i wish the evangelical right would consider when they try to ram their Holy Wars down our throats.

Did you know that Neil's dad, Scott, was a famous hockey journalist? He wrote several of my favorite books. My brother Paul just finished the bio book about Neil by his dad. He said it was really good. Very loving. Very proud.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  12:43:34 PM  Show Profile
Ok kids, I must've been living under a rock. Time to dig into Neil Young music for sure. Sometimes I amaze myself at how ... can't even think of the right word... out of it, maybe... that I am. Way past time to git with it!

Just for you, BEB,and BC:

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing

Edited by - Clare on Oct 12 2005 12:44:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  3:23:49 PM  Show Profile

ooooh clare,you found it!
that picture says it all.
Thanks for the shivers,sister.

Erik, I knew about Scott Young's career as a sports writer and I read "Neil and Me" two summers ago at the beach. Ate it up, actually.
While I was absorbed by his personal stories about Neil growing up (suffering through polio and then epileptic seizures for years)and seeing his life through his Dad's eyes, I really got a deeper and different perspective reading the book entitled "Shakey" written by James McDonough.
It described more of the early bands,juicy inner goings-on with CSN&Y, ideas behind songs,life with long time wife Peggy,their severely handicapped son and yes, the drug culture of the times and its influence on all of the above.
I mean,I ask you, how much does a Dad really know about a kid's life, anyway?? I was totally intrigued reading both...just more to know about a very complex and interesting guy.
Did you know that Neil refers to himself on everything he does as "Bernard Shakey"?...I think it is a reference to his epileptic
self.
And girls, he gets my vote as an official farmboy at heart cause on this new CD cover features a sepia image of a farmgirl hangin' a sheet on a washline.check it out on his website www.neilyoung.com ...its so cool.

J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  3:25:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
I missed that performance, Darn! One of the down sides to trying to live without the boob tube is you miss the occasional GOOD stuff.

Love Neil Young, haven't bought anything of his in years, couldn't tell you why though.Will have to find this on CD.Songs like that bring comfort when the world seems once again, or still, or even yet, torn apart in the name of religion.

His web sight also says that Jonathan Demme was filming at his August concerts in Nashville for an upcoming docu/movie about him..yahoo!

Edited by - Fabulous Farm Femmes on Oct 12 2005 3:30:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  5:55:06 PM  Show Profile
Oh MY goodness, BlueEggBabe, and Birdcat.... I'm at a loss for words. Am listening to Neil Young's Prairie Wind right now. I'm dancing and swaying and lost in the 70's. I'm having a magical, mystical, spiritual and emotional experience, especially When God Made Me played. Major shivers. I'm at a loss for words. Thank you is not sufficient. ((((group hug))))

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing

Edited by - Clare on Oct 13 2005 09:18:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  6:19:40 PM  Show Profile
I am making a "beeline" for the music store tommorow...Just checked the website....heck that image of the clothesline and the sound of the prairie wind gave me the goosebumples!!!! You guys are so cooool.... Thank you! Clare, I'll be dancin with ya tommorow. Sue, I'll hang my sheets on my windy clothesline in your honor!!!

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

Julie
MaryJane's Farmgirl

60 Posts

Julie
Moscow ID
USA
60 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  10:04:52 AM  Show Profile
BlueEggBaby, Clare Sweetheart and you lovely little Meadowlark, Neil is singing to me too, right now. His voice reminds me of freshly tilled soil with the wheat stubble sticking up to the sky. Neil's voice is so grounding.

Cindylou, Sunny, and I cooked dinner together last night and danced to Robert Palmer’s, ‘Addicted to Love’ and Al Jarreau’s, ‘Try a Little Tenderness’, he sings, ‘Ask your baby, if you want me to draw you a hot tub….., maybe put some smell good in….., maybe even be room for me in there…’, we all dropped to the floor. Ouch…..Who cares how long it takes to finish cooking when you are having so much fun dancing in the kitchen!!!!!

Thanks BEB for the web site. Love the image of that sheet blowing in the wind. I love standing under a line full of sheets and to play like I am flying through the clouds. Such freedom, ‘Falling off the Face of the Earth’ just finished playing and all I hear is the wind. I’m under the clothesline. Come fly away with me girls.

Food Stylin' & Fancy Free
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  10:14:55 AM  Show Profile
I'm listening now too Julie!! Brought it to work cause I wanted to be "there" all day, ya know what I mean? Everyone is full of such good recommendations... I'm going to have to create a music budget!!!

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  3:58:26 PM  Show Profile
Hey, BirdCat, aka Erik... Just heard your Ani DiFranco on the radio singing Shy... that's quite a groove she's got going there. Nice.

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  4:18:09 PM  Show Profile
People this Prairie Wind brings tears to my eyes! It carves you out and puts you in a place all by yourself...Powerful is all I can think of .It is the essence of prairie, of loneliness, longing, wandering and finding home again, vastness of the soul and heart. Separation and sweet sweet reunion! Mmmmmmmm.

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

Birdcat
MaryJane's Farmboy

51 Posts

erik

51 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  4:28:12 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Lord. Ani...sigh. How could anyone be more attractive? I love a woman with fire in her heart and angels in her voice. She's a dreamboat with moonbeams for sails.

i've got no illusions about you
and guess what?
i never did
when i said
when i said i'll take it
i meant,
i meant as is...

cuz when i look around
i think this, this is good enough
and i try to laugh
at whatever life brings
cuz when i look down
i just miss all the good stuff
and when i look up
i just trip over things.

i've got
no illusions about you...

Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  4:47:52 PM  Show Profile
Clare,
yes,you must! I have always had a music budget.
I can make do with less and sacrifice more in other ways but some extra hard-earned scratch for books and music?? It is a "must-do for the soul" expense, in my book.I hope your new found mystical moments with Neil will give you permission to go for it!!It's a sign,Love!

J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  5:24:09 PM  Show Profile
Meadowlark,
I just adore your description of Prarie Wind. You completely got it.
Goosebumples

Erik,
Circa 1992-94, I was sittin' on a rain soaked- mud slide of a PA
farmer's field(Philadelphia Folk Festival)feelin' a bit on the miserable side after a night in a wet tent..(don't ask!) I was watching,local boy John Gorka (my angel dreamboat troubadour) on a small side stage along with a few dozen other people, At some point, he asked a friend from the crowd to come up on the stage and sing with him.
Sitting to my left a few folks down was your doll,Ani. I had never heard of her, but looking back, this must have been pretty early in her career. I was astounded by the fire that fueled her voice in that little performance.She just made my day! Haven't followed her too closely in the last ten years but I imagine she's probably still kickin' butt somewhere.
...and dear JulieBelle,
Who could even remotely stand still to "Addicted to Love", I ask you??? That is one music video that I will never tire of watching. I love the thought of you all singin' dancin' and cooking.
Just read my tagline, below, Gals....words to live by.
Yep, words to live by.

Eggs-a-Blue,
Your True Blue Sue

J.J.R.Tolkien

Edited by - BlueEggBabe on Oct 13 2005 5:28:23 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Reading Room: Previous Topic Music Room Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page