Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Something Wicked This Way Comes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Something Wicked This Way Comes Next Topic  

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2005 :  6:13:25 PM  Show Profile
Was there a book by this name? Or a movie? I think it is about a stranger that comes to a peaceful village and turns it upside down. Maybe it was Ray Bradberry that wrote it...Connie the librarian may know!It is the kind of book to read on a cold and windy fall night in November as the leaves blow about. Don't forget the spiced cider and a warm throw!

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2005 :  9:21:04 PM  Show Profile
Hey, cutie. It was Ray Bradbury, one of my all time favs. "By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes." It was a novella that was turned into a movie and it concerned one of Bradbury's favorite themes, young boy, dark carnival comes to town, lives are changed. Faboo book!

Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2005 :  9:55:56 PM  Show Profile
Back atcha Utahfarmgirl P. "dark carnival comes to town" can be a metaphor for so many "dark" things can't it? And this carnival arrives on a dark and stormy autumn midnight...the clash of innocence and Mr. Dark...hmmmmm.

Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2005 :  12:31:59 PM  Show Profile
If you want something dark, that totally sucks you in but isn't quite horror, try the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. It was torture to read this series for me because I got SO sucked into it, but he was still working on it so I had to wait several years between the 1st and last book.. it was in fact 3 or 4 years between the 4th and 5th book so it was pretty frustrating to get through, but now that he has written them all it's in my opinion the greatest series of all time.. it gives Tolkin and JK Rowling a serious run for their money.. and in my opinion it comes out ahead of both.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2005 :  4:01:39 PM  Show Profile
Cool suggestions Bobbi....don't ya just love those stories where a creepy stranger shows up to disrupt and destroy a town or village and then the "natives" are able to overcome and conquer the evil that lurks? I just LOVE good yarns like that!

Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2005 :  11:14:37 PM  Show Profile
It's not really like that .. I mean there is an evil to overcome which is cool but this is so much more than that.. this series has some of the weirdest plot twists I have ever encountered, and I am one of those people who eats books.. I go through a lot of books in a short amount of time, but I haven't come up with anything nearly as intriguing as that series.. he actually finds ways to tie that series in one way or another to EVERYTHING he has ever written in his whole career.. it's a real treat for regular King fans, but even to a first time King reader, the amount of thought that went into coordinating everything is almost mind blowing!

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

Birdcat
MaryJane's Farmboy

51 Posts

erik

51 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2005 :  10:11:04 AM  Show Profile
I love this movie. The book, too. What i think is interesting is how the forces of evil are perpetuated by the town's own personal paranoia and is eventually saved by a father reestablishing his link with kindness and compassion, which dissolves the whole situation and tranquility is restored to the town.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2005 :  10:38:57 AM  Show Profile
Dang birdcat...nothin against father figures, but it shoulda been a sweet mother goddess in that story, replete with apron and mighty rolling pin and long braid down her back...yeah

Edited by - MeadowLark on Nov 17 2005 6:39:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Birdcat
MaryJane's Farmboy

51 Posts

erik

51 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2005 :  09:21:32 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, that would be cool. Riding in on a white cow, "Hey pardner, is them there orgainic oats?"
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2005 :  6:09:25 PM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
Whose read Needful Things by Uncle Stephen (as he is so fondly called here) - its where we got the name of our catering business - whatever you want, we got it! Same theme in the book...but as always be careful what you wish for.

Susan
Proprietress of Dahlem's Soapworks http://www.thesoapmaven.com

Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2005 :  7:18:37 PM  Show Profile
I read it.. I have it... I sort of collect his novels, so I have read everything he has done and own nearly all of it...

(Hal calls him my other man)

Edited by - Whimsy_girl on Nov 24 2005 1:50:12 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Something Wicked This Way Comes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page