Author Reading Room: Previous Topic The Moon Watcher's Companion Next Topic
Page: of 4

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2005 :  09:41:14 AM  Show Profile
Did any of you notice the full Snow moon last night? For all of you moon watchers here is a book that looks fascinating...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1569244669/ref=sib_dp_pt/002-2592236-1305600#reader-link

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2005 :  09:50:48 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the link, Meadowlark! I added it to my wish list! I did see the full moon last night. Actually it was about 3:45am this morning when I awoke. It was glowing so nicely I stepped outside in my jammies and had a look. Pretty nippy out at that hour so I didn't linger, but it was beautiful. I am also intrigued by the moon and its phases. Isn't the universe amazing?
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2005 :  1:52:50 PM  Show Profile
I also saw the beautiful snow moon! Usually it is very overcast or raining this time of year here and getting to see the full moon is a challenge but this year has been so very dry and so clear that I have been able to view a lot of wonderful things in the sky. I have a great lunar calendar that shows each day of the lunar month by its phase of the moon. It is really beautiful.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2005 :  2:44:19 PM  Show Profile
We had snow (again...) yesterday but it started to let up around 8:00pm and within the hour the moon was out shining with it's golden halo! We all went out to clear walks, cars,etc so the am wouldn't be too overwhelming and it was such a tranquil and peaceful time to be out in a new snow fall. With the crisp clear sky, the brilliant moon and the stars out in all their glory, it seemed positively magical.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2005 :  05:37:27 AM  Show Profile
I saw it yesterday and early this morning. It's quite a site.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2005 :  05:56:25 AM  Show Profile
It is so reassuring somehow to know wherever we are, we are all looking at the same moon! :) I awoke the last two nights to see light streaming in around the shades. I got up and stepped onto my porch, and I could see every tree in detail. It made me think of native American stories I have heard - the Indians would travel through the woods at night silently, but able to see clearly by moonlight.

Bramble, I loved the visual I got about your family clearing the snow by moonlight.

Question: why is it called a snow moon?
jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2005 :  07:00:51 AM  Show Profile
JPBluesky, In answer to your question...Since the heaviest snowfall usually falls during this month, native Americans of the north and east often called February's full moon the Full Snow Moon. Some tribes also referred to this moon as the Full Hunger Moon and Hard Times to Build A Fire Moon, since hunting and preparing cooking fires were difficult in the harsh weather.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2005 :  07:26:24 AM  Show Profile
I love all the visuals you are all giving of moon watching! Clare in her jammies, awake in the chilly night air, Eileen in her lovely wooded place, Kim on the farm plains of Illinois, Bramble clearing the snow in golden light, and jp gazing at pieces of moonlight through windows, all soaking up the power of the moon. It is something we can all share, it is free, and so sacred!

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2005 :  09:47:22 AM  Show Profile
You are so right MeadowLark and it unites us all.

farmgirl@heart

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2005 :  06:07:24 AM  Show Profile
Meadowlark, Thank you for the explanation of Snow Moon! Maybe that is why I got the flash of native Americans walking through the moonlight when I read the first few posts.

The moon and stars do unite us all, and the fact that so many of us take the time to notice and soak up the beauty is wonderful!

jpbluesky
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2005 :  5:42:38 PM  Show Profile
Hello all! The moon--one of my favorite topics. I am just "jumping in" on this because February was a challenging month in regard to my health. I spent the first half of the month being ill with bronchitis and asthma and the second half in the hospital with a blood clot in my right leg (was bitten on my foot by an insect of some sort, my leg became badly infected and I developed a blood clot in my thigh.) I am 53 years old, and this was the only time that I had ever been in the hospital. Hopefully, it will be the last.

Anyway---back to the moon. I regard it as "my guiding light". Whenever I move into a new home, I always watch the moon at night. I am especially happy when I can see it from my bed. It is such a calming influence. I was recently thinking about moving to another room at the other side of my house but decided against it because I did not want to loose my beautiful view of the moon over the pasture.

I also love to go out at night to feed my barn cats and just stand and gaze at the moon. It is especially pleasant when the weather is chilly (30-50 degrees in Texas).

When my niece was a toddler, she and my brother, who is her dad, would drive around the neighborhood in his convertible when the moon was full. They would shout out, "Hello Mr Moon"!!!!!!

I am certain that you can tell how much I love the moon from my long dissertation. Glad to be back. I have missed reading all of your entries even when I am not responding.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2005 :  5:56:02 PM  Show Profile
Connio- Hope you continue to grow strong. I am so sorry you have had such a struggle! Good to see your post and read that you are well enough to enjoy beauty again. Sometimes when we get so ill, that is a very hard thing to do.

Born on the 4th of July, I am a moonchild, and love to enjoy moonlight too. I guess everyone does! And when you think of the poems and songs that have been written about moonlight it is easy to see how many have gotten out of touch with the beauty of it. It casts a spell for sure, and I love to sit on my porch in the middle of the night and look out at the trees bathed in that soft glow. What a wonderful world we live in if we take the time to see and to even situate our bedroooms in order to love the moonlight!

jpbluesky
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2005 :  06:09:47 AM  Show Profile
Connio--- Welcome back and glad to hear you are on your way to healing. When things take us by surprise and our lives take directions we hadn't anticipated it's always good to turn to the people and things that give us comfort. Your peace and healing are found there so ...grow strong, be well. Good wishes are sent your way!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2005 :  06:29:59 AM  Show Profile
Connie, Sending you many healing and peaceful thoughts as you transform from this latest detour in the journey of life. Be well.

P.S. I also love to have the moonlight shining in my bedroom. It is quite soothing and reassuring.

Edited by - Clare on Mar 04 2005 06:31:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2005 :  06:38:03 AM  Show Profile
Welcome back Connio and fellow Moon Watcher! Sorry to hear of your health problems... Hope that your healing and recovering will be strong and positive! The moon certainly is a "guiding light" as you said. And I have found in troubled times a comfort and a companion as I bathe in it's beautiful light. I recall when I was very ill with preeclampsia with my first child I sought out the moon and sat in my rocker and gazed as it grew full and fat with the October Hunter moon. That night of the full moon I gave birth to my daughter. I remember gaining strengh from the moon for the task of childbirth... Stay well and look forward to your posts! Jenny

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2005 :  10:15:17 AM  Show Profile
Another welcome back Connio,
I too was bitten by an insect a couple of years ago that made me very ill, it took a full 6 weeks before I felt like my old self, so I too am sending you happy healing thoughts and a protective angel to cover you as you mend. The moon delights me! Our bedroom is a 20 foot yurt and the moon light shines in through the canvas to create a warm golden glow at night. On full moon nights it is absolutely sacred in there. Until last year when I had to sew a replacement roof because the old one began to leak around the skylight plastic , I had a skylight that allowed the full moon to flow into the yurt all night. I loved it but this time did not put the skylight in because it weakened the roof. Now I just get the glow but still It is wonderful.
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2005 :  11:43:49 AM  Show Profile
Hello all. I am so touched by all of your kind comments and good wishes. I do not have a computer at home so I just printed out your remarks so that I can carry them with me when I leave the library where I work. Also, I really go by Connie. Connio is just a name that I use when I am being especially silly--guess that I was feeling that way when I signed up for the chat room.

I do believe in silliness as a great way to relieve stress!! Thanks again for your kind remarks.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2005 :  5:10:27 PM  Show Profile
Connie - I read that you have 12 dogs! Tell us about them. I must admit I cannot imagine having 12 dogs! I have had as many as 4 at a time, briefly, and it was madness.
jpbluesky
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2005 :  8:17:08 PM  Show Profile
I am so excited for this Sunday...the full Pink moon! DH and I and daughter are going on a "Full Moon Tour" on the prairie near Hays, Ks. It used to be an old Army Calvary Fort in 1800's where Gen. Custer was stationed... Old wagon rides, frontier bar-b-que, good company, and watching the full moon rise over the desolate pristine hills! Can hardly wait! Hope you can celebrate this moon and have a beautiful view!

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2005 :  07:23:27 AM  Show Profile
Pink moon?!?!?! What's that?

Connie I am so glad you are feeling better. It sounds almost like you have been bitten by a recluse spider.

farmgirl@heart

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2005 :  09:50:37 AM  Show Profile
This months full moon that we see Sunday night actually is at its fullest at 10 am Sunday morning and is also a lunar eclipse. They call this type of eclipse an invisible eclipse or penumbral. Pink moon is another of the folk names for this full moon as are Grass moon and Egg moon.
Some great websites for moon stuff and info are,
www.celestialproducts.com
www.mooncalendar.com
www.ilovethemoon.com
I got this beautiful moon calendar that I have taped up on my fridge that shows me all the phases of the moon for each day all year long by month. It is so lovely. It came with a sheet that is full of great information about the phases of the moon.
Eileen

Edited by - Eileen on Apr 23 2005 5:10:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2005 :  10:26:12 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the great info Eileen. You are such a wonderful resource of info and ideas!

farmgirl@heart

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2005 :  10:38:50 AM  Show Profile
Ditto! I will have to get one of those moon posters for my fridge! Thanks! The Indian tribes had rich and beautiful names for the full moons. The Omaha, which is now known as Nebraska, called this months moon "Moon In Which Nothing Happens", Mays moon is "Moon In Which They Plant" and Junes' moon is " Moon In Which the Buffalo Bulls Hunt the Cows". They were hunters, and focused primarily on animals.

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2005 :  11:54:47 AM  Show Profile
When the moon was so full on Sunday night, I was at the beach in Daytona. The tides were higher than I have seen them in the entire 18 years I have been going there. The sea came all the way up to the seawall, and Daytona usually has great wide beaches that people drive on going both ways.

I slept like a log (I always do at the fullest of the moon phase). The sky was so beautiful over the ocean, and the moonlight came in the big windows. Beautiful!
jpbluesky

"Keep us here, all simply in the springing of the year." From A Prayer in Spring by Robert Frost

Edited by - jpbluesky on Apr 23 2005 11:56:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2005 :  5:19:29 PM  Show Profile
The extra high tides come with the distance earth is away from the moon at any given time.When the moon is at Perigee or its closest to the earth the tides resulting can be exceptionally high or low.Add in the extra gravitational pull of the alignment of sun and moon at full moon or new moon you get the tides that can be disastrous if a storm is also present. We will be once again at perigee on the 29th of this month less than a week following this months full moon. This affects us here if the tides are extreem because some of the ferry schedules have to be dropped as a result.
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2005 :  01:40:59 AM  Show Profile
Well, as you can see by the hour of this post, I cannot sleep. The moon is so full and bright as the broken clouds pass over it tonight. And when the moon is obscured by the clouds, they are erily backlit. It is beautiful. I guess that's why I couldn't sleep... I was supposed to get up and soak all of this beauty in.

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Reading Room: Previous Topic The Moon Watcher's Companion Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page