Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Music Room Next Topic
Page: of 13

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  5:58:21 PM  Show Profile
I'll sing that to my Dexters. Only I will switch oats for corn, cause they like oats better!

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  7:13:33 PM  Show Profile
I'll just add this name to your "watch lists", if you enjoy music in the style of Bing, Dean, Frank and Tony. His name is Michael Buble, (pronounced boo-blay)- a cutey-pattoie, twenty-something Canadian, and my-0h-my has he perfected the crooning technique. I saw an interview that he gave about how he got started. He grew up spending alot of time on his grandparents fishing boat. They always listened to the afore mentioned crooners on the boat, playing 33 LPs. (That had to have been tricky on a boat!) He tried for several years to get noticed in the music world, and just as he was ready to quit and go to professional fishing, David Foster (famed producer) "found him". Check him out at Amazon.
A very pleasant listening experience.

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

Julie
MaryJane's Farmgirl

60 Posts

Julie
Moscow ID
USA
60 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  09:48:00 AM  Show Profile
Clare, I LOVE crooners. My daughter (Kattie, 21) told me about Michael Buble and bought me a CD from Starbucks. She knew I would fall in love with his voice and she was oh so correct…. Check out Chris Botti, trumpet blower for sure…I have always loved Miles Davis, but Chris has a much smoother and romantic style. You may remember him from the Caroline Rhea Show. What a beautiful farm boy he would be. His CD “a thousand kisses deep” will melt your heart and make your knees weak…also rediscovered Lyle Lovett again. I had forgotten how beautiful his voice is, deep and true, not the studio type.

Bye, Bye girls, got to get back to the kitchen. Think I’ll put on little Lyle to help me stir with attitude.

Food Stylin' & Fancy Free
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  10:00:11 AM  Show Profile
"A thousand kisses deep"??? Julie!!!! Well, that certainly takes care of a description and what an easy sell! I may have to go to the music store on my way home tonight!!! Love soulful trumpet!! I also really enjoy Lyle Lovett. I think because he is so true to his musical roots. He's a sweetheart too.

Julie, I think we may be musical soul-sista's!!!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  11:22:40 AM  Show Profile
Actually, I'm awaitin' for bramble's new cd!!!! LOL!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

The Handmaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Kim
Shreveport Louisiana
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  1:28:51 PM  Show Profile
Clare, I think you and I had the same response to "a thousand kisses deep"...bury me please!
Say no more, i'm on my way to the music store!

"Faith shall finish all that Hope begins."

joan walsh anglund
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  1:35:40 PM  Show Profile
Kim, glad I'm not the only one susceptable to that imagery!

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  1:56:12 PM  Show Profile
I am a James Taylor girl too, as well as Carol King, Carly Simon. I actually have a wide variety of music thans to my Mom. Classical, show tunes, Big band, Nora Jones, sarah Maclachlan, James Galway, Chieftains... I am learning to play the Mandolin. Teaching an old dog a new trick ain't easy. My girls listen to a wide variesty of music as well, mostly classical, Celtic and very little rock. We all love to sing and with piano playing, gutiar and violin playing as well, the house is alway filled with music. It is good for the soul! Julia

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  2:08:40 PM  Show Profile
Julia, I love all those artists you mentioned, especially Carly Simon! I just think she gets more beautiful and gifted the older she gets! I have heard she has an album out of old American standards from the 30's-40's. I miss having my daughter home because she plays the piano and violin. It is always a joy to hear her music when she is home. Youngest is now discovering the Black Eyed Peas...she is almost 13.

Go to Top of Page

AuntieJen
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Jenny
Tacoma WA
9 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  3:10:40 PM  Show Profile
I have gone through a few music phases in my life but the favorites that have stuck with me are classic rock - Heart, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac......oh, and Sheryl Crow! I also love Loreena McKennitt, I feel like I'm in another age when I listen to her. I am chagrined to say (and feel like an impostor farmgirl!) that I cannot get excited about country music. It's nice but I only own 1 country cd, Rascal Flatts. My hubby bought it for me but I never listen to it. I'm learning to play guitar and mostly I'm learning rock songs. Or trying to!
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  5:21:28 PM  Show Profile
Julie, Julie, Julie: Thank you, thank you, thank you! At this very moment "a thousand kisses deep" is smoothing out my rough edges and bringing me back to myself. Great recommendation!

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  5:34:00 PM  Show Profile
Two Farmgirl thumbs up on Chris Botti? Now I HAVE to get the CD!

Go to Top of Page

Julie
MaryJane's Farmgirl

60 Posts

Julie
Moscow ID
USA
60 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  5:47:15 PM  Show Profile
Are Your Knees Weak Clare? How cute are you.

I'm spellbound lisnening to Patty Griffin, the cd is also called "1000 Kisses". An acoustic guitar is all Patty needs. Her pop,folk,twang-shaded voice is beautiful. There is a song called 'Making Pies', sounds like the theme song for the Bunkhouse Kitchen, wouldn't you say? Her music is so orginial and so easy to become a part of.

Sweet Kisses gals, have a fabulous night

Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  6:13:25 PM  Show Profile
I am very ecclectic in my music taste. When I'm in the car I listen to the contemporary christien station. I LOVE the sound of Celtic music and folk style music is fun. On more of a classical side, I enjoy George Winston. He has beautiful piano music. Two of my favorite CD's to listen are a Carole King greatest hits put together by various artists. It's called Tapestry Revisited. You can't help but dance around in your living room and sing to that one!! And I also love Natalie Cole's CD of her father's greatest hits.

Have a blessed day!

Missy

"Show me you're garden and I shall tell you what you are."
-Alfred Austin 1905
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  9:31:57 PM  Show Profile
My younger 2 daughters love Frank Sinatra. They know more of his songs than I do. I justa asked them if they have heard of Michael Buble, my 13year old said, with great enthusiasm, "I Love him!" Guess I'm out of the loop.
I also like Nat King Cole. Very smooth!

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  08:27:06 AM  Show Profile
It may have been mentioned here before, but I've heard both songs recently and they always strike a chord deep within me:

Eric Clapton: Tears in Heaven and Change the World (Wy does a good version of this one too)

Go to Top of Page

goalieboy
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

erik
moscow id
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2005 :  3:17:46 PM  Show Profile
Hello, Grrl Geniuses.

We just made a cookbook and it's spectacular. It won't actually be published 'til the spring but we're pretty much done with it (famous last words...). In the meantime, everyone here in design is blissed out on the aftermath of it all and we're playing the perfect soundtrack, Jolie Holland's "Catalpa." Jolie recorded it in her living room and only meant it as a demo so there's ambient noises to go along with songs about birds, cows and lotsa waltzes, but it's perfect as is. It's spare, it sighs alot, whistles a bit, and sometimes barely crawls along at a bovine pace. Right now it's as lovely as it gets. A real farmgrrl genius gem.

Edited by - goalieboy on Sep 21 2005 3:18:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lacy
True Blue Farmgirl

114 Posts

Lacy
Dallas Texas
114 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2005 :  4:06:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Lacy an AOL message
I have a huge, undying passion for Lyle Lovett-- even through my foray into "indie rock" and rock of all other sorts, I have remained... Now, since I've realized that my true calling is "farmgirl" I have started to really enjoy country music... and I've always loved folk music, Townes Van Zandt and Harry Chapin and Utah Phillips. Really I just love all music that tells a story! Especially if that story is about my dream life... a country life!
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2005 :  4:09:26 PM  Show Profile
Erik and all the Farmgirls: Congrats on your blissful afternoon! Can't wait to see the final production! Just had a listen to Joanie over at amazon and it's very nice. I'll have to consider adding this to my collection.

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2005 :  9:02:09 PM  Show Profile
I could listen to Harry Chapin all day long. Jim Croce too.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2005 :  1:51:48 PM  Show Profile
Back to Chris Botti - I bought his CD for my husband for Christmas last year. For crooners, I love all the usuals, but LOVE Steve Tyrell. He's a Houston boy and has great gravel in his voice.
Go to Top of Page

Julie
MaryJane's Farmgirl

60 Posts

Julie
Moscow ID
USA
60 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  10:07:09 AM  Show Profile
KJD, I too like Steve Tyrell's voice. 'A New Standard', love the way he sings 'I've Got The World on a String' sittin’ on a rainbow.....got a sting around my finger......la la la
The CD 'Standard Time' has 'Ain't Misbehavin' (and I never misbehave). I'm a Tom Waits fan; Steve's voice reminds me of Tom's only with much sexier mood. The first time I heard Steve sing was in a shop in Coeur d'Alene, I didn't want to leave, just had to ask the store clerk who it was. My friend and I were dancing around the store and singing along.
Take a listen to Madeleine Peyroux, ‘careless love’, beautiful smokey jazz voice. Every track is my favorite, it’s hard to say that about a CD, but it’s true. Repeat, repeat, repeat

Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  2:45:22 PM  Show Profile
Julie, thanks for the recommendation of Madeleine Peyroux - haven't heard of her. Have a little store nearby that is in an old building and has the most beautiful rustic, elegant home decor and the music they play, and sell is always the best. I'll see if they have it. I was suddenly reminded of all Rod Stewart's standards - love those, and I've been a Rod Stewart fan since the pink satin jumpsuit days...
For those who said they love Celtic music, have you heard the group, Cherish the Ladies. We saw them at the symphony and bought a CD - they have several - it has been a family favorite for a few years now!
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  3:03:45 PM  Show Profile
Lacy,
a few days back you mentioned Utah Phillips who puts me in mind of Rosalie Sorrels...a folkie cronie of Utah's from way back.
I saw them perform together once a lifetime ago but had the pleasure of seeing Rosalie on many occaison when I booked music for a folkie coffeehouse here in the early 90's. Ah yes, another life, I say!
Rosalie and I have a mutual friend who lives in this area and whenever she would visit,she graced our little stage with her gutsy voice and her amazing stories.She is the consumate Idaho farmgirl with her own rugged, individualistic style.Thanks for reminding me of her and making me blow the dust off of her recordings. They really are so incredible.
I don't believe she is touring anymore because she is 70ish and had some health issues but her recorded music and spoken word will make you weep with farmgirl understanding.
Her website is www.wayoutinidaho.com

"If more of us valued good food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world place."
J.J.R.Tolkien

Edited by - BlueEggBabe on Sep 27 2005 03:25:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  3:10:40 PM  Show Profile
I love these recommendations...My whole musical universe has expanded because of this forum...actually my entire universe has expanded from my little piece of dirt here in Kansas. Thanks from the bottom of my little pea pickin heart!!!

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Reading Room: Previous Topic Music Room Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page