jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2005 :  8:07:53 PM  Show Profile
Wow - it is fun coming back to read these posts! What a great group of music we have pulled together.

Christian music fans - find Margaret Becker and Kelly Minter. I listen to both of them over and over.

Country fans -Trisha Yearwood's versions of "The Bus to ST. Paul" and "Baby you can sleep while I drive" (that one written by Etheridge) are great to listen to.

But my heart has recently been reopened to the Eagles. They take me back to road trip days, when my hair was almost as long as MJ's, and in my leather sandals I tasted the sweetness of freedom. The Eagles recently had a Reunion Tour and it was on TV one night and my hubby and I watched it all the way through.

Have any of you got the CD called Common Threads? It is all country singers doing renditions of the Eagles songs. It is great.

jpbluesky
Heartland girl

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jul 07 2005 8:09:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2005 :  8:56:08 PM  Show Profile
Jeannie, I watched a portion of that Eagles special, too. I kept waiting for Desperado to be sung, but I must've missed it. It was nice. I like their narrative too.

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2005 :  9:18:39 PM  Show Profile
We watched it too..how funny..all us farmgirls watching the Eagles special at the same time.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2005 :  9:21:15 PM  Show Profile
What songs make you cry every time. It is easier than it used to be to make me cry...hormones I guess...but if I EVER hear Kathy Mattea's "Where've you been?" I lose it. Also I used to always cry when I heard a song called "Feed Jake" about a dog. My oldest boys teased me something terrible about that when it was popular and they were about Jr. High age. I haven't heard it in years.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2005 :  9:41:28 PM  Show Profile
I agree Aunt Jenny, both of those songs are tear-jeakers. Rodney Crowell recorded a song about his Dad that he sang at his Dad's funeral. It was so appropriate that we played it at our Dad's funeral as well. Just him and his guitar, and the most honest lyric I'd heard in a while...it was just an album cut... not a hit.

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2005 :  05:52:44 AM  Show Profile
I cry when I hear "How can I teach you to say good-bye", also by Kathy Mattea I think.

Clare-the Eagles sang Desperado last. One of my all time favorite songs. Aunt Jenny, I think it is neat that so many farmgirls were watching at the same time, too!

I also like a song by Kathy Mattea that has the line "standing knee deep in the river and dyin' of thirst". Remember that one?

jpbluesky
Heartland girl

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jul 08 2005 06:03:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2005 :  05:57:10 AM  Show Profile
The two songs that make me cry all the time are "Tears in Heaven" by Eric Clapton..written for his 4yo son Conner who died by falling out a window...as a mother that song rips me to pieces; and "You Raise Me Up" by the Christian group, Selah, their voices are so incredible.

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the Aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain" ~Emily Dickinson

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2005 :  06:08:09 AM  Show Profile
Desperado is one of my all-time favorites too! Desperado..why don't you come to your senses...you've been out ridin' fences for so long now...

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the Aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain" ~Emily Dickinson

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2005 :  08:23:15 AM  Show Profile
Just had to add this fav... I woke this morning to my clock radio playing Melissa Etheridge's "I'm the Only One". Wow! What a good sing -a-long song!!!! Although I'm not in those moods, I can really wail along with her. I think my rockin' alter-ego comes out then! Who knew, quiet ol' me could effuse so loudly (altho just NOT upon waking... but in the car with the radio cranked up and the windows down... lookout! )
!! haha

Edited by - Clare on Jul 11 2005 12:57:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2005 :  12:56:16 PM  Show Profile
For the ladies who love female singers you should ckeck out Norah Jones. Great voice and fun lyrics, broken hearts, living in the country all the good stuff. She sings a great one with Dolly Parton on the album "Feels Like Home". I gotta ckeck out Nina Simon, I keep hearing good things about her. And love Paul Simon too.

Blessed Be

www.sqrlbee.com
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2005 :  1:39:27 PM  Show Profile
Melissa, I love Norah Jones, she has such a beautiful voice, and yes, definitely check out Nina Simone, you will be hooked!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2005 :  08:16:40 AM  Show Profile
I just found some fabulous music while browsing the internet, the group is called "Fiddlesticks" they are from New Zealand, here is their website.. http://www.fiddlesticks.co.nz/. I'm trying to figure out how to get their cd, they are incredible and seem like something a lot of you FarmGirls and Erik too would enjoy. Check them out!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2005 :  08:16:59 AM  Show Profile
I love Norah Jones too! And Melissa Etheridge

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2005 :  08:17:46 AM  Show Profile
Here's a link to a couple of their songs you can listen to and download for free:

http://www.peoplesound.com/artist/fiddlesticks/

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2005 :  08:33:13 AM  Show Profile
I was just looking on Amazon, and apparently there is another group called "Fiddlesticks" as well, not to be confused with the ones I just mentioned. The ones I mentioned have 2 sons, and the others apparently have 2 daughters! Interesting...

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

Go to Top of Page

CelticCoyote
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Heather
Illinois
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  10:31:16 AM  Show Profile
Would it be too spammy to suggest that y'all check out my husband's bands website? www.goldcoastrefuse.com is the site. My darling husband is the drummer, and I must say, he's a darn good one. Gold Coast Refuse plays original roots rock, and all bias aside, it's really quite good. You can listen to a couple songs for free, to get an idea of their sound, or you can buy the cd direct from the website.

Okay, I'll hush up now...but I had to brag on my sweetie.
Go to Top of Page

CelticCoyote
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Heather
Illinois
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  10:33:11 AM  Show Profile
Crud, I double posted...sorry 'bout that.

Edited by - CelticCoyote on Jul 28 2005 10:34:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  1:56:54 PM  Show Profile
Heather, they are good! Your hubby is very talented!!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  2:03:19 PM  Show Profile
Cool site Heather! It's great to see local bands!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

CelticCoyote
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Heather
Illinois
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  3:32:55 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Kim & Molly! I'm awfully proud of my sweetie. He's been playing drums for 22 years now, and teaching for about 8 or 9. Kim, they mostly play in the city & suburbs, but next time they have a gig in our town, I'll let you know...we'd love to have you come & see them play!
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  07:50:11 AM  Show Profile
Hi all!

Yesterday I bought a brand new violin at a garage sale for $75.00. Nothing at this sale had a price tag on it and it was obviously in fabulous shape as was the case, which did not really have the impression of the violin worn into the velvet yet. I was really afraid to ask what she wanted for it. Instead I asked, "So, did you buy a new, better one or did you just get bored with it?" The woman replied that it was her teenaged daughter's. She said that they had just traded in her 3/4 size and bought this one only to have her daughter confide that she really hated violin and since she was last chair, she really did not want to continue. I mentioned that she could probably take it to one of the professional e-bay sellers in the city and at least get some of her investment back. She laughed and said that she really didn't want to bother, she just wanted $75.00 out of it. I whipped out the checkbook!

I have always wanted to learn to play violin. I started piano lessons when I was three and continued with them until I graduated from high school. I have also played flute, trumpet, and drums at various times. I went to a small school so I played whatever the band director asked me to play! I miss the piano but can't afford to buy one in the forseeable future. Besides, the piano is not very portable.

Now I'm wondering if I should hire a teacher or just try to teach myself since I already read music. I picked up a violin primer at a thrift store at the end of the day and have been working on the fingerings.

Are there any violinists here? What do you think?

I noticed that Aunt Jenny mentioned wanting to learn too. Have you started yet, Jenny? I would love to hear about your experience.

Lucinda

P.S. My Dad, who is a very fine jazz trumpet player and plays country and Irish music on a saw, is green with envy. I guess he's been looking for a good fiddle for some time. So I'll probably share and if it doesn't work out, I can give it to him.

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Go to Top of Page

CelticCoyote
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Heather
Illinois
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  11:33:37 AM  Show Profile
Lucinda, my husband has a very good friend who teaches violin for a living (also plays in two bands with my sweetie...and this guy is GOOD), and I forwarded your question on to him for ya. I figure he'll likely have some advice for you, or maybe some good books or videos to look for that'll help you learn. I gotta tell ya, I am SO envious of that find!! What a fabulous deal!!! Good on you for wanting to learn! I've always wished I knew, but never could get myself to invest in it enough to teach myself.
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  11:27:23 PM  Show Profile
I'm one of the younger ones in the group but I'll throw my 2 cents in anyway. I'm into alternitive style music for the most part, but I grew up loving the Beatles. My current favorite artists include Ben Folds, Smashing Pumpkins, Tonya Donnelly and Natalie Merchant.

There are some lyrics to a Tonya Donnelly Song all you goat mommies would probably appriciate it's called "Goat Girl"

See my child my past
Hoping yours is a blast
I parked my heart in your driveway now i'm healing hell
I wanted a lion but i ended up with a man who wanted a gazelle
But i am a goat girl i am a goat girl i am a goat girl
And i do my brutish best
See my child my past
Hoping yours will last
I parked my heart in your driveway now i'm healing hell
I wanted a lion but i ended up with a man who wanted a gazelle
But I am a goat girl i am a goat girl i am goat girl i am a goat girl
Thinking goatish thoughts
Dreaming goatish dreams
Digging up tin cans
Chewing on your sleeve
And i do my brutish best

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive. James Stewart in the movie HARVEY
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  11:08:38 AM  Show Profile
JPBluesky, "How Can I Help You To Say Goodbye" is a Patty Loveless song.

"Standing Knee Deep in a River" is my favorite song of all time. It's written by Bob McDill, who wrote a lot of stuff for Nashville back in the '70s and early '80s. I play "River" and also "Never Miss A Real Good Thing" (also Bob McDill, recorded by Crystal Gayle) on guitar.
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  11:13:24 AM  Show Profile
Hi Heather, I'm anxious to here what your husband's friend has to say. I did put out some feelers to see if there is a grad student in the music program here at UNO who would be interested in teaching me.

Lucinda

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Reading Room: Previous Topic Music Room Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page