CelticCoyote
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Heather
Illinois
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  1:57:56 PM  Show Profile
Lordy, I nearly forgot to post his reply! Here ya go...

The best way, especially for such an instrument where you can't simply put
your finger down on a key or fret and get the right now, is definitely to
get a teacher. For a $75 dollar violin, its either something decent that the
seller was too dumb to realize they could get more for it...or it could have
just been a P.O.S.

I'm betting they just didn't realize the value of what they had, and YAY for that (for you!). I'm sure you'll be able to fish up a student to teach you. What a fun new adventure for you!
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  2:02:48 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Heather!

The seller knew exactly what she had, she just didn't want to be bothered with it. Her daughter had decided she wasn't going to play violin anymore - even though they had just purchased the newer, nicer model for her with the thought that she would take it to college with her. I think she felt that the sooner she could get rid of it, the less she'd be annoyed with her teenager

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Go to Top of Page

CelticCoyote
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Heather
Illinois
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  3:24:31 PM  Show Profile
Woohoo!! Heck of a deal for you!
Go to Top of Page

The Handmaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Kim
Shreveport Louisiana
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2005 :  10:08:56 AM  Show Profile
Okay, well i can see this farmgirl connection is going to be an addiction problem for me if i don't practice some self-control and balance. Everyday i'm checking things out and the next thing i know it's hours later and my "to do" list might as well be in the trash. i was late to work(just 5 minutes) twice this week, (something i never do) because i just had to jump on for a quick fix. my mind is reeling with ideas for mail art, and now that i've discovered the music and reading rooms you should see my list for movies to rent, books to read and websites to visit. thankfully, farmgirls are masters at managing and juggling and trying hard to fit it all in.

here's my 2 cents worth in the music department:

- Aunt jenny, thanks for the memories of singing in the car with the kids. those are sweet ones! during schooldays it felt like we lived in the car and one must be entertained! thank goodness for radios, cassette tapes and cd's and i know some of you remember the good 'ol 8 track tape...we've come a long way babie!

- mollymae, i adore Selah! they put me to sleep at night. josh groban also sings a great version of "you lift me up".

- erik, i'm sending you a surprise to the farm. it's something you HAVE to have to sing to the girls at work. are you a solo act or do you have any back up on occasion?

as for me, i love all the artist mentioned and all kinds of music depending on my mood of the moment. JT and JD are all time favorites. does anyone else know about JT's brother, Livingston Taylor. I have to admit to adoring his lyrics and have seen him in concert 3 times. James Taylor's son is also singing now and if you close your eyes you'd swear it was his father.

ok, i really am going to try to get something done now. (operative word there is "try"). thanks for a fun morning everyone.

"Faith shall finish all that Hope begins."

joan walsh anglund

Edited by - The Handmaiden on Aug 07 2005 10:11:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2005 :  10:50:15 AM  Show Profile
I've seen Livingston Taylor a few times and really enjoyed him. He sounds like James, but like himself too. Took me by surprise when I heard him singing on a commercial not too long ago but there was no mistaking it was him. I love when he plays the banjo!
Got lucky and heard Ben when he visited World Cafe and don't forget about JT and Carly's daughter Lucy; she's a performer too and quite good but very different from the other family members!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

goalieboy
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

erik
moscow id
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  10:28:58 AM  Show Profile
Where's my surprise, Handy? I NEED it. So i await...

Carol and i watched Cover Girl the other night now i'm trying to learn the words to "Put Me to the Test" so i can sing them to MJ one day when she tells me to jump.

Put me to the test
And I'll climb you the highest mountain
Or swim you radio city fountain.
Put me to the test
And I'll get you a queen's tiara
Or a pyramid from the hot Sahara.
You can dress in sables
At nightclub front tables--
If that is what my lady adores...
Put me to the test, lady
Just make your request
And anything that you desire is yours
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  10:45:14 AM  Show Profile
Erik, you are so funny! Consider yourself "booked" to perform this for all the farmgirls when we converge next July 4th holiday at the farm! Git to practicn'

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

goalieboy
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

erik
moscow id
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  1:27:05 PM  Show Profile
You better get here well before the 4th Ms Clare 'cause you and me are doing the Heavenly Music number from Summer Stock. Only we're gonna use chickens and a cow instead of dogs and Lucinda's gonna play the fiddle while we tap our big feets.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  2:10:27 PM  Show Profile
You are a gambler, Erik! That will certainly be a sight, won't it?? I looked online to find the lyrics to Heavenly Music, and they don't seem to be published. Other songs from Summer Stock are, but not that one. Guess I'll have to rent it again and see what I'm in for! haha. Earplugs, girls, earplugs!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Go to Top of Page

goalieboy
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

erik
moscow id
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  8:55:01 PM  Show Profile
You'll be great since grrl geniuses always are. I'll even let you play the Gene Kelly part—i'll be Phil Silvers. Anna says she'll make us the funky pants that drop to our knees when we pull the cord, along with the polka-dot boxers. I don't know where we'll get the big feet... but, we'll work it out, i just know we will. When those fat-cat hollywood producers see us, they'll wanna remake the movie! We're gonna be bigger than Elvis! Or, at least the chickens will.
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  10:43:53 PM  Show Profile
ROFL you guys make me laugh!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet."~Rumi

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2005 :  6:15:42 PM  Show Profile
Hey Erik, beings how I've only seen Summer Stock one time, I vaguely remember the scene that you're describing. Sounds like comedy at its best! And, if there's a possiblity that we'd be taking this show on the road, ya better send me the script so I can git to practin' m'self!!

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2005 :  7:19:10 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Amanda for refreshing me about Patty Loveless' song! It makes me cry every time I hear it. Saying goodbye has always been the hardest thing for me to do, in any circumstance (except for maybe on the phone, and even then there have been exceptions).

Lookin' forward to that musical number between Erik and Clare. You know, just today I saw, once again, the move Dirty Dancing.....talk about summer stock! Can you guys compare? I think so!
jpbluesky

Edited by - jpbluesky on Aug 20 2005 7:20:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2005 :  9:11:04 PM  Show Profile
ROFL, jpbluesky!!! We could probably do a pretty good adult imitation, sans the overhead lifts and the slide throughs! <egads!>...since I'm pretty darn sure neither one of us is ever seein' 20 again! Oh no... that means I'm going to have to wear my dancin' shoes, too. Don't know if my chickn' feet will survive!

Edited by - Clare on Aug 20 2005 9:12:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

The Handmaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Kim
Shreveport Louisiana
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2005 :  9:33:17 PM  Show Profile
All this talk of singin' and dancin' is makin' me miss all the great musicals. Remember, The Sound of Music, Oliver, Mary Poppins, Camelot,just to name a very few. oh and goalieboy, somehow I can just see you performing If I were a Rich Man, from "Fiddler on the Roof"....

If I were a rich man,
Ya ha deedle deedle, bubba bubba deedle deedle dum.
All day long I'd biddy biddy bum.
If I were a wealthy man.
I wouldn't have to work hard.
If I were a biddy biddy rich,
Yidle-diddle-didle-didle man.

I'd build a big tall house with rooms by the dozen,
Right in the middle of the town.
A fine tin roof with real wooden floors below.
There would be one long staircase just going up,
And one even longer coming down,
And one more leading nowhere, just for show.

I'd fill my yard with chicks and turkeys and geese and ducks
For the town to see and hear.
And each loud "cheep" and "swaqwk" and "honk" and "quack"
Would land like a trumpet on the ear,
As if to say "Here lives a wealthy man."

If I were a rich man,
All day long I'd biddy biddy bum.
If I were a wealthy man.
I wouldn't have to work hard.
If I were a biddy biddy rich,
Yidle-diddle-didle-didle man.

joan walsh anglund
Go to Top of Page

goalieboy
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

erik
moscow id
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  1:12:27 PM  Show Profile
If i were a rich man...

hmmm...

I'd buy my own piece of British Columbia and share it with my bobcat and aussie shephard. We would raise bumblebees and a clan of lemurs. My girlfriend would come visit and sing me to sleep, then depart to her cabin across the creek to write love poems and paint her toes or whatever blossums her spirit.

For philanthropy i would build an icerink nearby, actually 7 of them layed out like the spokes of a wheel and surrounded by bikepaths and skateboard parks. In the center would be a radio station that played great music of every genre and spread the gospel of hockey and figure skating. We'd broadcast flowercoverd barbs aimed at the warmongers challenging them to live up to their proclaimed faith and encouraging all nations to engage in art, sport, wholistic invention and space travel. And everynight my lover would come and sing me to sleep. Yidle-diddle-didle-didle...

Oh yeah, and i'd give a big chunk to MJ so that FarmGrrl Fever would transform this incredibly gifted country into a FarmGrrl Nation.

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  1:32:37 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like a worthy dream to me!

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  1:45:34 PM  Show Profile
Erik - you are an old soul. And you would have been right at home in the late 60's.

Clare - you, too.

jpbluesky
heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  1:52:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Erik..in the tradition of Fiddler on the Roof..I have 2 beautiful daughters..will you please marry one of them?? I like your spirit, Goalie Boy.
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  1:53:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
they Both sing...
Go to Top of Page

goalieboy
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

erik
moscow id
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  2:15:43 PM  Show Profile
uhhh...

*thud* gb's head hits the floor and he dreams of FarmFemme Goddesses dropping grapes in his mouth and fawning over him with feathers, lotions & lullaby's...
Go to Top of Page

The Handmaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Kim
Shreveport Louisiana
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  2:37:53 PM  Show Profile
Gotta love those visuals goalieboy and the dreams! And so it is...You are rich indeed!

Now since you have a girlfriend and a lover and FFF's daughters i just want to know if you have a brother?

p.s. farm surprise is finally on it's way...work and postal hours do not mix. sorry for the delay.

joan walsh anglund
Go to Top of Page

goalieboy
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

erik
moscow id
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  4:27:58 PM  Show Profile
Can't wait for it, Handmaiden. Kept bugging the mail gatherer's here for it and whining when they said they had no idea.

You grrls are very kind to this old man: Compliments, mail art gifts and daughters... My hubris this week will be insufferable! Better go pull some weeds to deflate a little.

No, no brothers, all sisters. No girlfriend, either, just dreams. And since this is a music thread, let me say that some of those dreams are about famous musical women: Ginger Rogers, Ani Difranco, Joanna Newsome, The Lunachicks...

Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  10:23:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Well Erik, September may be the month of wine and roses...one of the lovely & fair singing daughters is coming with me to Moscow mid month to farewell her cousin to Pullman...she is an organic loving, vegetarian,Americorp volunteer,swing dancer, and beautiful to boot. Mary Jane is her personal hero..what more could you ask for?
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  10:48:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Ohhhhhh, were just kiddding......
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Reading Room: Previous Topic Music Room Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page