goalieboy
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

erik
moscow id
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2005 :  4:11:02 PM  Show Profile
Jolie Holland. i've played a mix of her cd's for a year solid. I absolutely love driving up to MJ's farm at 5am playing her music and singing along. It puts me totally in the mood for farmlife when i step out of my car.

"I love you so dearly,
I love you so fearlessly,
I wake you up in the morning so early just to tell you:
I've got the wandering blues, I've got the wander-ing blues
and I don't want to leave you I love you through and through...

I left my baby on a pretty blue train
and I sang my songs to the cold and the rain.
and I had those wandering blues,
I sang those wandering blues
and I'm gonna quit these rambling ways
one of these days soon. Ohhh...

And I sing:
the littlest birds sing the prettiest songs,
the littlest birds sing the prettiest songs.
the littlest birds sing the prettiest songs...

I don't care if the sun don't shine
and I don't care if nothing is mine
and I don't care if I'm nervous with you--
I'll do my loving in the wintertime...

Edited by - goalieboy on Jun 22 2005 5:14:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mollie
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

88 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2005 :  5:14:43 PM  Show Profile
Gotta be my favorite album is Neil Young and Harvest Moon. I guess you all know that Neil recently was in the hospital and had a brain aneurysm and is now recovering. I could play "Harvest Moon" over and over. It must be the "flower power" child in me. Mollie
Go to Top of Page

Julie
MaryJane's Farmgirl

60 Posts

Julie
Moscow ID
USA
60 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2005 :  5:18:27 PM  Show Profile
My ex-husband used to tell me to "be quiet" when I would sing...one morning Toby Keith woke me up from the radio with "Who's your Daddy". I sang every word at the top of my lungs!!!!!! It felt so good. He just looked at me and said what was that? I said, " Hope you enjoyed it".....Now I have found my voice again and I don't care if anyone likes it or not, I have the right to sing.

Erik does sing around here a lot to us gurls and we love him for it. Just puts us all in a good mood. If you have not heard Jolie Holland, check her out. Erik has made all of us fall in love with her voice.

jpbluesky, I too love the music of the Great Smokey Mountains. I spent most of my summers camping on the parkway and at Maggie's Valley with the music of the dulcimer or at Myrtle Beach with the Drifters and shagging (the dance of course) at the Magic Attic.
I love Tony Bennet, Etta James, Billie Holliday, Nancy Griffith (cute bobbie socks), Nina Simone, Ray Charles, on and on and on.....all music

One of my favorites is Diana Krall's "Garden in the Rain" from the CD Love Scenes. It is the last track and I always have to play it 3 times....

Twas just a garden in the rain
Close to a little leafy lane
A touch of color ‘neath sky’s of gray
The raindrops kissed the flowerbeds
The blossoms raised their thirsty heads
A perfumed thank you
They seemed to say

Surely here was charm beyond
Compare to view
Maybe it was just that I was there with you

Twas just a garden in the rain
But then the sun came out again
And sent us happily on our way

My daughter always says "“If you’ve only found happiness in the sunshine, then you’ve never danced in the rain.”

Julie

Food Stylin' & Fancy Free
Go to Top of Page

Mollie
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

88 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2005 :  7:16:15 PM  Show Profile
"Harvest Moon"

Come a little bit closer
Hear what I have to say
Just like children sleepin'
We could dream this night away.

But there's a full moon risin'
Let's go dancin' in the light
We know where the music's playin'
Let's go out and feel the night.

Because I'm still in love with you
I want to see you dance again
On this harvest moon.

When we were strangers
I watched you from afar
When we were lovers
I loved you with all my heart.

But now it's gettin' late
And the moon is climbin' high
I want to celebrate
See it shinin' in your eye.

On this harvest moon.
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2005 :  8:31:42 PM  Show Profile
Julie, Nina Simone is one of my all-time favorites!!! I love women singers...my favorites (to name a few) are Nina, of course, Billie Holiday, Annie Lennox, Enya, Lisa Gerrard, Sarah MacLaughlin, Alison Krauss, Loreena McKennitt, Patsy Cline....I love to sing to all their music!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." --Henry David Thoreau

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**

Edited by - mollymae on Jun 24 2005 8:32:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2005 :  8:36:19 PM  Show Profile
"Heart of Gold" Neil Young, nuf said.... " Keep me searchin for a heart of gold...

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2005 :  8:47:28 PM  Show Profile
Diamonds and Rust, Joan Baez.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

goalieboy
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

erik
moscow id
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2005 :  07:07:16 AM  Show Profile
On this harvest moon

what a pretty song. My sister loves to make fun of Neil Young. She thins out her voice 'til it just one reed thick and croaks, "hepless, hepless, heeeelllllpleess." and then snickers and pokes her hubby Paul with an elbow. For his birthday I bought paul a bio of Neil written by Neil's dad, Scott Young.

All you farmgurls like mellowed out female crooners. along those lines i like Joanna Newsome. She's a female crooner who plays a huge harp in an african style and has a voice like a nine year old gurl. Except she also sounds as if she is a 90 year old appalacian crone. Her style is VERY different but i find her addicting. she's spectacular to look at, too.

Svetlana sucks lemons across from me,
And I am progressing abominably.
And I do not know my own way to the sea...
But the saltiest sea knows its own way to me...

Julie always has a crooner going in her kitchen. She plays boy crooners, too. Lots of sinatra and bennett to go along with billie and ella and ms Krall. Taylor and Carol like all kinds of stuff, for awhile it was Louis Prima and Joni Mitchell. Lately it's been Jolie. We all like Willie Nelson.

gb

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2005 :  07:34:24 AM  Show Profile
I do enjoy Willie Nelson, too! He's great to sing along with if you can get his phrasing down. I especially like artists who sing of something other than love on occassion. Ever notice how other cultures sing of many other things?... Like the Irish sing of their land alot, etc. I guess that's why I've enjoyed John Denver all these years is that he mixes love with the land and the ocean and the environment. And I'll add that I really like Native American flute music, especially when it's not surrounded by alot of synthesier and strings, etc. I have a CD that I picked up at Target's little booth called World Flutes, which encompasses Native American, Irish, Chinese, Norwegian, African, South American, and Inidan (east) flute styles. Now that just transports me... which I think all good music does in its' own way. Ahhh, me thinks it's going to me a very music day here at my place... must go sort through my collection

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2005 :  08:21:25 AM  Show Profile
I listen almost exclusively to Christian music. I've been a fan of Michael W Smith's for 15 years. Christian music is the only genre where I can find comfort in the words. Spiritual music speaks to me. I'm actually going to go see a Christian rock band, The David Crowder Band, tonight in concert. I occassionally listen to R&B/Hip Hop because my fiance is African-American and he's introduced me tot he Soul channel on the radio. I can't get him to listen to my music yet...he calls it wimpy! Oh, and CDs with sounds of nature in the background are also wonderful. My favorite is called "The Sounds of Yosemite". It's just piano arrangements with nature recordings from Yosemite. It's awesome!
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2005 :  3:03:48 PM  Show Profile
Along the lines of Christian music, that's what I listen to a lot in the car, and I *love* the Newsboys, even my 11 yo can pick their songs out now

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." --Henry David Thoreau

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**
Go to Top of Page

goalieboy
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

erik
moscow id
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2005 :  12:28:09 AM  Show Profile
Everyone here in the design studio agree's that Paul Simon is an international treasure.

Kory put together a home movie of our workcrew to the soundtrack to Mr Denver's "This Old Farm" It's really good. The boy is talented and the song is perfect. I'd forgotten how much i like John Denver.

Emil's been bellowing old Elton John songs. Megan and Lucas got him started on it and have got me humming Goodbye Yellow Brick Road:

When are you gonna come down?
When are you going to land?
I should have stayed on the farm
I should have listened to my old woman

You know you can't hold me forever
I didn't sign up with you
I'm not a present for your friends to open
This farmgirls's too young to be singing the blues

So goodbye yellow brick road
Where the dogs of society howl
You can't plant me in your penthouse
I'm going back to my plough

Back to the howling old owl in the woods
Hunting the horny back toad...
Oh I've finally decided my future lies
Beyond the yellow brick road...

MJ and Carol and i are on a Gene Kelly kick. I think Julie Bell likes him, too. We think he's S'wonderful.

gb
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2005 :  04:04:27 AM  Show Profile
I am also a Harvest Moon/ Neil fan and play any number of his CDs while I am working around the kitchen or open the window to sing along in the garden.
Recently picked up another Neil CD that I have totally fallen for now....Silver and Gold. Not one of his better known but later (from 1998)recordings.Laid back acoustic that I adore.
I LOVE his voice...get's me every time!
Gotta hear the title track....a real "brain-sticker"..

Workin' hard, everyday
Never notice how the time slips away
People come...seasons go
Be we got somethin' that'll never grow old

I don't care if the sun don't shine
and the rain comes pourin' down
on me and mine
'Cause our kind of love never seems to get old
It's better than silver and gold....

I used to have a treasure chest
Got so heavy that I had to rest
I let it slip away from me...
Didn't need it anyway
So I let it slip away

Heard recently that Neil did his first performance since the aneurysm
this past weekend at the Live 8 concert in Toronto. Anyone hear about him there?

Sue
PS Thanks to all for turning me onto some great stuff that I have never heard before.It's great

"If more of us valued good food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2005 :  06:48:56 AM  Show Profile
John Denver's song This Old Farm is sooo special to me. It's a ballad, a love song, and a prayer all rolled into one. Kory chose the perfect song for his video of the farm, Erik! Wish I could see it! Maybe you can get Carol to upload it to the website for viewing, eh?

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

Go to Top of Page

countrymamma
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Rural Manitoba
Canada
78 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2005 :  07:02:56 AM  Show Profile
I listen to Christian contempary music mostly.

However one of my favorite all time singers is Nana Mouskouri. Another favorite is Rita McNeil.

~Carol
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2005 :  07:42:18 AM  Show Profile
RachelLeigh-- Michael W. Smith's parents used to (maybe still...) live down the road from my best friends parents. I didn't know his music but went to a local fundraising concert he played at and really enjoyed him quite a few years ago. Haven't kept up but I remember he had an excellent voice and was a great songwriter.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2005 :  09:28:45 AM  Show Profile
I'd like to introduce a band most probably haven't heard of. Their called "Hem" and the album I have is called " Rabbit Songs". They are wonderful musicans, a cross between classical, folk and bluegrass. I found them by accident, My brother-in-law used to work for Universal Music and he used to bring home boxes of random CDs. So we would all go through and listen to as much as possible 'cause you never knew what you would find. So I found this cd. And I love it and still play it over and over a few years later. This music makes me feel like I'm remebering things that I don't yet have memories for, a strange felling but I like it.

I also love spanish guitar like Andrés Segovia

Also Cuba jass - like Buena Vista Social Club

I love the Swingle Singers and Stevie Wonder, he's so groovie. Ella fitzgerald, Miles Davis' Album - Kind of Blue is the quintessential jass album, Duke Ellington and of course Louie Armsrtong. Well I could go on and on but alas I must get to work.

Blessed Be

www.sqrlbee.com
Go to Top of Page

goalieboy
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

erik
moscow id
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2005 :  09:43:43 AM  Show Profile
Yes, we should upload it, Clare. It's long, so it'll be a big file, and it's completely goofy. Kory also put one together of a movie of us skating on the pond last winter and called it, "On Frozen Pond," to go along with a Perry Como "Magic Moments" soundtrack. Unfortunately our best skater, CindyLou, was in Hawaii at the time so it's mostly clips of the brave falling down and the not-so-brave sipping tea. It's great fun, and again, completely dorky. Well put together, though. I sure hope we get around to utilizing Kory's editing talent soon, but we're struggling so much with $$ we've really got to put our back into the plough and get these next two supplimental books done. MJ just challenged us to an impossible timeframe but we're gonna do it. And we're gonna sing while we do it, by gum.

"Hey, i know how to save the farm, lets put on a show!"

Any of you farmchickies ever see the farm/show movie "Summer Stock" ? It's one of MJ's "pickmeup" movies. Me, too. We renamed one of our cows "Esme" after the gun toting aunt in that movie. Right after MJ and Nick watched it they stood on MJ's balcony and practiced calling her with that name. MJ's got a real farm voice she uses to cut through everything. Sometimes i'll be doing something 'round the farm and i'll hear "Errrrrrrriikkkkkkkk!", and come running to her like she has a handful of sweetcorn or something (well, her smile and sparkling eyes works the same for me). Works good, i think.

gb
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2005 :  09:49:42 AM  Show Profile
Just had a memory come popping back.... whenver I hear this song (like I just did).... my daughter was in junior high, getting ready for school in the morning, and listening to the radio..."Mom, come quick! You HAVE to hear this song, you will love it!!" So I did, and have loved it since. At that time I was listening to only country music, and she was listening to pop. The song was Billy Joel's RIVER OF DREAMS . Whenever I hear this now, this fond memory comes back and I do sing along at the top of my lungs.... this one I am uninhibited about! I do like Billy Joel. I remember in the mid-80's (the middle of when I was stuck in only country music)... I went to New Zealand and kept hearing this song "An Innocent Man" on the radio in stores there... so I finally had to ask who it was! I've enjoyed his music since that time. (I think I led a very culturally sheltered life back then! So glad I've grown and expanded my horizons!)

Edited by - Clare on Jul 07 2005 09:52:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2005 :  09:53:35 AM  Show Profile
Oh Clare...I have sweet memories of River of Dreams also! The summer the song came out my youngest would sit in her highchair and boogey to it while I fed her her peas and carrots! I LOVED singing that song to her! We heard it on the radio in the car a few days ago and she remembered it too!

Go to Top of Page

crazymoose
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Caryn
Auburn WA
38 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2005 :  3:17:05 PM  Show Profile
I guess I listen to alot of types of music, though I do not like Rap. My favorites would have to be 80's, celtic, bluegrass (my sister got me a banjo for my birthday a couple years back, someone's homemade version, still haven't figured out how to play it), I like some country, mostly the old stuff and some new. I collect and listen to lots of music in other languages, I love languages.

I grew up listening to Oldies,mostly 50's, 60's, and 70's and musicals, that is all mom would allow us to listen to, I didn't know there was other music out there until we moved, when I was 10.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2005 :  4:43:34 PM  Show Profile
Billy Joel..don't get me started! I went through a whole Huey Lewis phase too, lets see..about 18 years ago..I would drive my kids to school singing with a cassette, come home and pop in another and the kids and I knew all the words to every song. I still love his music. I remember a neighbor in the last apt. I ever have (or will) lived in told me once that she could tell I was home when she heard Huey Lewis. ..grin...I think she probably heard me more than him since I always sing along.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2005 :  6:21:04 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, It was the 80's and I liked Huey too. I liked "Hip to be Square" YIKES!!!

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2005 :  6:32:15 PM  Show Profile
Theme song from "Tammy and the Bachelor" sung by Debbie Reynolds in 1958...

I hear the Cottonwood whispering above...Tammy, Tammy, Tammy's in love.. The old hooty owl, hooty hoots to the dove, Tammy, Tammy, Tammy
's in Love.
Does my lover feel, what I feel, when he comes near? My heart beats so joyfully, if only he could hear!
Wish I knew, if he knew, what I'm dreamin' of... Tammy, Tammy, Tammy's in love....

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2005 :  7:05:11 PM  Show Profile
My cousin Tami had that song played at her wedding..for the first dance with her dad...it was so touching. I guess he sang that song to her all the time when she was little.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Reading Room: Previous Topic Music Room Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page