jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2005 :  6:28:06 PM  Show Profile
I like the word comfort you use in regard to John Denver, and James Taylor does that for me, also. We have comfort food, why not comfort music? When I hear James Taylor's voice, I immediately feel calmer. I recently saw him on TV, and he still looks good, too, even without much hair. :)
jpbluesky
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2005 :  11:15:00 AM  Show Profile
My husband and I just bought the new George Winston CD from the Public Radio Music Source (http://www.prms.org). It's called "Montana - A Love Story" and is more of the amazing and original piano music that is George Winston. Since the two of us met on a train headed to Glacier National Park in Montana, we thought it fitting that we support our local public radio station by buying this appropriately named CD. And we highly recommend it! Perfect for quiet nights of knitting on the couch with a sleeping cat on your lap.

Enjoy!

Catherine

* knitter * gardener * proud wife of dan * owned by lucy the cat *
Go to Top of Page

celticlady
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Dar
Davenport WA
38 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2005 :  9:13:05 PM  Show Profile
I went to a James Taylor concert in Aspen when I was a teenager. It was really great! I also went to see Paul McCartney and my favorite was Sting at Redrocks in Boulder. It was gorgeous!
I love Sarah Brightman and so does my 9 year old daughter. We listen to all kinds of music. There's an old cowboy singer,Don Edwards, that we love to dance and sing along with. I like the old country songs but not so much the new stuff.

There are bluegrass festivals all over the place out here and I've thought about going but never seemed to have the time. I think we'll plan on going this summer.

I've always wanted to learn to play the native american flute. I actually have a native american friend who carves his own. he has a few albums out of music he plays.
Have any of you ever been to a pow-wow? The music and dancing are great and so powerful. It always reaches a place deep inside my heart.

What a dull place the world would be without music!

P.S. Does anyone remember Victor Borge?

"live each day as if it were your last".

Edited by - celticlady on Jan 12 2005 9:16:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2005 :  05:20:41 AM  Show Profile
I remember Victor Borge. I even saw him once when he came to our artist series. He is the pianist who was also very funny, right? A very charming man.
jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2005 :  06:56:34 AM  Show Profile
Dar, HI and Welcome to this wonderful group! I do remember Victor Borge! My mother was a big fan of his and she went to Kansas City with my Dad and another couple in the mid 1960's to see him perform in a "concert under the stars". He could make my mother giggle with his humor. And he could play that concert grand so beautifully! I remember I had to stay home with my sister and a babysitter because his concert was "for adults and not children" my mom told me. You are so fortunate to see JT in Aspen of all places! How glorious! I also love Paul and Sting and Sarah...have not heard of Don Edwards...is he the guy that sang American Pie in the 70's? Memory is fading some, yikes! Anyway ,whoever the guy is that sang American Pie and Vincent I have always loved. I love this thread I could go on and on! Jenny in Kansas

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2005 :  08:43:20 AM  Show Profile
Jenny, That would be Don McLean... and yes, that's a terrific song too! Don Edwards is a western/cowboy singer... keeping the old trail songs alive. Baxter Black is a former vet, turned terrific cowboy poet. Love his stuff too! I'm not listening to country music much anymore either, too anal sometimes... but I LOVE the old cowboy songs. Michael Martin Murphy has switched to this genre and he's always good, along with someone you may not know... He's from our neck of the woods, Darla, named "Wylie and the Wild West Show"... Wylie lives on the Palouse on a ranch and sings wonderfully. He's the voice of YAHOO! at Yahoo.com.... and boy can he yodel! His music is at Amazon if anyone is curious!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2005 :  1:51:53 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Clare...got another question. Michael Martin Murphy...did he have a song out around 1975 called "Wildfire"? It was about an old Indian legend in Nebraska of a black stallion and the ghost of a young woman riding the plains in a blizzard. Very haunting and beautiful for its day.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2005 :  2:25:29 PM  Show Profile
That's the one Jenny!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2005 :  7:01:02 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone ever listened to the music of Italian singer Andrea Bocelli? He is totally blind, but this man sings like an angel... Or a young man called Josh Groban? He sings alot of Spanish and Italian pieces and these men really "send me"...

Go to Top of Page

endine
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Elizabeth
Birkenfeld Oregon
7 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2005 :  11:30:39 AM  Show Profile
I love folk music too - John Denver; Peter, Paul and Mary; Joni Mitchell; James Taylor. I guess some of that could be termed folk-rock. I grew up in the 60's and never got into heavy metal or hard rock. I still have some of the old vinyl albums, but have gotten some CD's of the old folk groups.
I also love celtic music and classical (mainly baroque). I play the violin and so spend a lot of time with Bach, Handel and Vivaldi. Those are probably the most soothing types of music for me.
Has anyone heard of Michael Hoppe and Tim Wheater? They perform some really interesting alternative music with a cello and alto flute. Very relaxing and haunting.

endine
birkenfeld, or
Go to Top of Page

KJAMES
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

KAREN
SC
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2005 :  2:27:29 PM  Show Profile
I REALLY LIKE OTTMAR LEIBERT. DISCOVERED HIM ABOUT 15 YEARS AGO FROM MY SISTER IN LAW IN WEST VIRGINIA. I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A FAN OF JAMES TAYLOR. ALSO IF YOU HAVEN'T LISTENED TO THE SOUNDTRACK FROM "DANCES WITH WOLVES" (ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVORITE MOVIES)GIVE IT A TRY. SOME OF THE MOST BEAUTIFUL MUSIC I HAVE EVER HEARD.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2005 :  5:04:34 PM  Show Profile
Love, love, love "Dances With Wolves"! The music, the visual of the film and the story. I do not have the CD but I think I will order it if you give it good reviews. It is on my list of top five best movies ever. Talk about wide spaces, open skies and infinite beauty.

jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jan 18 2005 5:05:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

14 Posts

Susan
New Port Richey FL
14 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2005 :  03:53:22 AM  Show Profile
Is anyone keeping up with American Idol? There are lots of talented young people out there that can go a long way with their music!
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2005 :  3:59:35 PM  Show Profile
Hello from your friendly librarian/farmgirl. Hundreds of new titles are being released in April for summer reading interest. If you are looking for anything in particular, please let me know.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - May 27 2005 :  5:52:28 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by celticlady

There are bluegrass festivals all over the place out here and I've thought about going but never seemed to have the time. I think we'll plan on going this summer.

I love bluegrass music, and I love Alison Krauss, her voice is so heavenly.

I love Enya, Loreena McKennitt, Kate Price (she does lots of hammered dulcimer). My favorite artist by far is Lisa Gerrard, right now she does a lot of soundtracks for movies (Gladiator, The Insider, Ali, etc.) so some of you may have heard her angelic voice through those. She was part of the duo Dead Can Dance through the 80's and most of the 90's, and does solo and compilation work now. Check her out, if you have never heard of her, http://www.lisagerrard.com !!!

I have a hammered dulcimer, but haven't learned to play it yet (one of the strings broke the day after I got it and I haven't gotten it fixed yet...lol) That is my favorite instrument!

Molly

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." --Henry David Thoreau

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 27 2005 :  6:30:55 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Alison Krauss is one of my favorites. Her voice is spectacular!!!!
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2005 :  04:55:33 AM  Show Profile
I heard the soundtrack for Lavender Ladies (Judi Dench, Maggie Smith) this past weekend and thought it was quite nice. If you like sweeping, hauntingly beautiful violin arrangements(by Joshua Bell) then this might be for you. I would also like to see the movie, you rarely go wrong if those women are in a movie!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2005 :  07:27:55 AM  Show Profile
OOOps! The movie ( and soundtrack) is called 'Ladies in Lavender'.
I can't log in or edit for some weird reason!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2005 :  08:33:15 AM  Show Profile
Oh, a new movie with Judi Dench! Must go find it.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2005 :  10:40:39 AM  Show Profile
I also am a "fan" of Enya and Alison Krause (such a wide range there) - there's very little I won't listen to (mostly hard rock, rap and that sort of "noise" which I refuse to call music). A movie with Judi Dench - great! Is this a new movie or something old on tape or dvd?

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2005 :  7:17:53 PM  Show Profile
Cecelia-- The soundtrack has a 2004 date and I don't recall having seen this released yet but I could be wrong. Will let you know when I find out!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2005 :  10:07:59 PM  Show Profile
I looked online at Amazon and found the soundtrack only. It was a U.K. release in 2004, so maybe it takes more time to be released in the U.S. I'll look forward to seeing it! If you do a google search for Ladies in Lavendar, you'll see some reviews published in the U.K. It sounds like my kind of movie... (they kind of label it an "older persons" movie... heck, just sounds like good entertainment to me!)

Go to Top of Page

JanaM
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Jana
Miller Bay/Indianola WA
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2005 :  2:27:18 PM  Show Profile
It's interesting how close we are in our musical tastes! I haven't seen anything yet that made me say "Eew!"

I'd like to recommend Sarah Harmer - she's a folksy Canadian singer/songwriter and is fantastic. She has three albums out, my favorite being her first "You Were Here" which I can listen to over and over again and not grow tired of it. She also does a great folksy album that she recorded at her farmhouse outside of Toronto, called "Songs for Clem". It's great to sing along to.

I also like 70's music, John Denver, George Harrison, Earth Wind and Fire, Dave Matthews, Sarah McLachlan...
Go to Top of Page

KJAMES
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

KAREN
SC
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2005 :  06:46:34 AM  Show Profile
OTTMAR LIEBERT. SPANISH GUITAR, WONDERFUL LISTENING MUSIC

Trust in the Lord with all your heart
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2005 :  07:06:29 AM  Show Profile
Jana- My station (WXPN) plays Sarah Harmer and if I'm not mistaken she might be coming to the Singer/Songwriter weekend they sponser. It's always huge and alot of fun, I'll look forward to seeing her live. (They are calling it this year "It's all about the Music" and I can't wait!
Hey! Anyone out there like John Gorka or Jeb Loy Nichols? Amazingly unique voices all their own and none too shabby in the songwriting departments either! Give them a listen!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Reading Room: Previous Topic Music Room Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page