Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Music Room Next Topic
Page: of 13

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2004 :  6:09:13 PM  Show Profile
Dearest Jeannie, Eileen, Cecelia, Maybe it's our age ( baby boomers) but your posts made me smile and I felt the warmth of kinship! Jeannie, your post of singing last month to Peter, Paul and Mary struck my heart strings because over the years when my husband and I would be working together on a project I would sing " If I Had a Hammer, I'd hammer out a warnin'..." I loved the message even as a kid...and it still rings true today in these uncertain times! Eileen, your memories of the song about India ( opera to boot!) made me smile...A 3 or 4 year old so into a certain piece of music! Wow!!I remember loving Debbie Reynold's "Tammy" at the age of 2, and playing it over and over on a little phonograph my foks bought me for my 2nd birthday in 1958. Cecelia, Gordon Lightfoots songs could make me weep they were so beautiful.

Time Flies
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2004 :  6:33:46 PM  Show Profile
I loved Gordon Lightfoot too. My husband was especially fond of "Big Blue" wasn"t that a gordon Lightfoot tune?
Eileen

songbird
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2004 :  6:42:30 PM  Show Profile
Eileen, Sometimes my memory is not as sharp as I would like it to be! I can't remember Big Blue? It sounds familiar though. I remember If You Could Read My Mind, and what was known as The Wedding Song... There is Love... He was great!

Time Flies
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2004 :  6:49:15 PM  Show Profile
Jenny I think that "If you could read my mind" was "Big Blue" if not it was on the same album we had. I think it got melted along with all of my Helen Reddy and a couple of the kids Albums when we had baseboard heat and the kids were small. They did not know that they could not put the records against the heaters.
I sang "There is Love for two weddings. I loved that one also.
Eileen
Eileen

songbird
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

64 Posts

Dave
Vestal NY
64 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2004 :  2:51:29 PM  Show Profile
Hi Bramble, yes, Wellsboro is close to where my fiance lives and is not far from Binghamton. The Blues on the Bridge happened the second week of September this year. (did I mention it was free?). My favorite song from Diana Krall is "Dancing in the Dark".....(mischievous smile here)...
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2004 :  6:49:12 PM  Show Profile
I think I liked Gordon Lightfoot (still do) because he's from just north of here...last year and the year before I took harmonica lessons (blues harp), and still like to play that when I have time - the class was in 4 consecutive parts of 10 week sessions, we even got to play with a band for practice. The nice thing was we didn't have to be pro's, just doing it for fun. Now I have a Native American flute I've been fooling around with, for a different sound. It's nice to listen but even more fun when you can play along, or make the music yourself.

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2004 :  12:43:55 PM  Show Profile
Cecelia,
Where did you get your flute? I love how they sound, so mellow and peaceful. I have a number of cds by native flutists and listen to them when I need to relax. Sometimes I play my deer hide drum along with them. I have been tempted to purchase a native flute several times but never had the money when there was one I especially liked. I guess when mine comes along the money will be available.
Eileen

songbird
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2004 :  8:17:36 PM  Show Profile
Hi Eileen,

I got my flute via the Internet, the website is www.HighSpirit.com Odell Borg is the originator of these flutes; they are reasonably priced, mine is walnut. I bought from this site because my brother had already ordered from it, and he was pleased with what he bought. I haven't had time to really "get into it" but hopefully now that Fall is here, things are slowing down and I'll find the time to play more. You're right, the sound is very relaxing, not like anything else.

Cecelia

ce's farm

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2004 :  07:03:45 AM  Show Profile
I played the flute all through school and picked up the recorder and penny whistle from time to time. (Carlos Nakki performed here last spring and he was just unbelievable!)I would really like to take piano lessons one of these days because I'm sure what I've taught myself is all wrong! My son has been drumming now for three years and shows no sign of stopping ( and he was so good on the violin!). Our local hospital has an interesting program called "Bedside Harp" that you learn to play a modified "autoharp" and some of the groups perform for patients who request it. So many things to learn and I feel like I've just begun! Bramble

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2004 :  07:32:41 AM  Show Profile
Just listened to some pieces by Enya on NPR last night. I have some of her cds and she is so spiritually refreshing. I also enjoy Sarah Brightman.

Time Flies
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2004 :  07:40:20 AM  Show Profile
Bramble, I remember seeing a tv special on a woman who gives harp lessons and started a hospice program using her harp music to help the terminally ill. It was so inspiring and the patients pain and anxiety was relieved by the music this woman played for them. You could see the look of peace on their faces.

Time Flies
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2004 :  10:18:54 AM  Show Profile
Often when we travel via ferry to Whidbey island we get a wonderful free concert by a local harpist. So nice! He uses this venue to introduce people to this wonderful and relaxing form of music as well as to market his lovely cds.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2004 :  10:31:35 AM  Show Profile
Jenny-- I think that might be the same woman who started this program
and it is now spreading nationally. The gift of music is so special to someone who appreciates it. When I was in the hospital longer than expected a friend brought me a walkman w/ some music she had put together she thought I would like. What a thoughtful and welcome gift. I put those headphones on when it was noisy, when I did my PT and at night to fall asleep to. The music transported me far from the situation I was in and to something much better. Music really does heal and comfort.
I like Enya and her sister is in a band Clannad that I like as well.
Saw Sarah Brightman in NYC many years ago, very good! NPR is the best and my husband is addicted! He's a builder and he always has it on at the job site.One the younger sub contractors said to him "Dude, don't you know? There's supposed to be MUSIC on the radio?" Oh well ...he's young(and we're not THAT old!) Bramble

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

jamie
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

jamie

33 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2005 :  6:02:37 PM  Show Profile
I recently ran across quite a gem while surfing the internet. For anyone that enjoys folk music you must check out www.folkalley.com
It is free to sign up and you can get folk music 24 hours a day.

check it out,
Jamie
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2005 :  05:06:42 AM  Show Profile
I bookmarked folkalley. It is really totally free? Thanks for the link.
jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2005 :  07:18:23 AM  Show Profile
Jamie-- Thanks for the info , it seems like a very cool site! Happy New Year!(my sister in law went to Kent State and always said she missed the station, now I know why! She sends thanks too!)

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2005 :  08:43:49 AM  Show Profile
Jamie, Thank You, Thank You! Bookmarked this also! I love folk music! Maybe I will share this with my 12 year old daughter and hope she will like some of it. I know this is wishfull thinking Jenny

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2005 :  08:22:08 AM  Show Profile
I just finished watching a fairly new movie.
"De Lovely" It is the Cole Porter story. I was so touched! Going back into my childhood memories and those dance parties that my parents hosted as well as the memories I have shared on other threads here, of sitting inside the cover doors of my parents record player with my ears between the speakers, I can hear so much of this music as memories in my head. I was amazed at how many of these songs I still remember all the words and music. If you have not seen this film I recommend it to any music lover here!
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2005 :  5:46:21 PM  Show Profile
Eileen nice to see you buzzing in!I love to watch the old movies from that time with Cole Porter's music. I wish I could get my husband to learn to dance like they did back then. Fred and Ginger we aren't!
Sadly, we are products of the 70's where dancing was primarily jumping around (pre disco!) It was something getting him to learn to waltz for our wedding!
Did anyone get the James Taylor Holiday cd Hallmark stores had this year? A friend gave it to me for my birthday and I was surprised and pleased. A new twist on some favorites and some nice songs new to me.
I would like JT if he sang the phone book so I guess I'm a little biased!
My son gave me George Winston's Montana :A Love Story and I am loving it! Very tranquil and soaring , just beautiful.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2005 :  8:50:05 PM  Show Profile
One of the radio stations I listen to (a soft rock variety) played Christmas music continously from Thanksgiving to Christmas. It was amazing the variety that they came up with-- traditional stuff, even Bing Crosby up to new people I'd never heard of and lots of wonderful instrumentals. Quite good actually. One of the features was James Taylor's new holiday album. I enjoyed his songs, which kind of had a soft jazzy flavor to them. I was still playing John Denver's live Christmas concert album long past the holiday. The more I hear his music, the more comforting it is.

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2005 :  6:46:41 PM  Show Profile
I have a lot of JT on records (guess they call them "vinyl" now) - have to dig them out and listen again; haven't heard the Hallmark cd though. Have some Enya also, does anyone like Yanni? Guess you have to like that kind of stuff! My son calls him "Yoda" - doesn't like it at all, but he's a teenager so what can you expect? I am playing harmonica again; didn't find the time with all the holiday stuff going on, but am planning to play more this year. Does anyone else play their own music (or along with other music?) Eileen - did you get a native Amer. flute yet? or check out any of the websites?

Cecelia

ce's farm

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2005 :  07:50:23 AM  Show Profile
Hi Cecelia,
No flute yet. Must save up $$$ for a while yet then I will get serious about it again.Still have my old silver flute though and get it out every so often.
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2005 :  4:32:17 PM  Show Profile
I have a silver flute my hubby bought me as a birthday gift a few years ago; I took a few lessons but never had time to really get into it. I took it out this Christmas and couldn't get a note out of it. Had to laugh...just took out my harmonicas and started playing. Simple is best sometimes.

Cecelia

ce's farm

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2005 :  10:50:31 AM  Show Profile
Just went through my cd collectiopn and discovered a cd I havent listened to for a long time. It is a "Bob Seger" greatest hits. Just listened to it and it took me back. I found myself dancing around the living room with my teddy bear. Hubbys not at home today. Forgot how much I loved his mellow voice.
I also have several Yanni that I havent listened to for a while. Today I am going for the old folk and rock and roll music.
It is snowing like crazy here today but it is 34 degrees so it is really wet snow. To wet for a snowman or Id be out making one.
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2005 :  2:49:09 PM  Show Profile
We got 18 inches of new snow here yesterday, Eileen. I've spent all morning dealing with it... clearing my car and the driveway, and the back roof, shed roof, shaking it off the arbrivate shrubs, etc... I'm pooped and rather sore. Maybe pulling out my old cd's for listening will revive me! Good idea! Thanks.

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Reading Room: Previous Topic Music Room Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page