Page: of 13

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2005 :  8:44:40 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Singin', dancin' farmgirls. I just checked out this thread for the first time. Someone mentioned Al Jarreau. My daughter was his massage therapist in L.A. We met him by accident in the supermarket of all places. (Supermarkets, the SAG credit union, this is where you meet celebs in L.A. They don't go near Hollywood.) I walked up to him and said, "Do you know you look just like Al Jarreau?" He smiled a little and said, "Um-hm." And from there, we went into a 45 minute conversation amongst the organic veggies.

Chrissy was so excited I thought she was going to pee. She grew up on his music as he has always been one of my favorites. She told him that and rattled off some other jazz greats that most people never heard of and that was it. They became best friends. He asked her her name and called her, "little Italian girl". (She's 30 now and looks 16. This was a couple of years ago.") He asked her what she did for a living and she told him she was a massage therapist and he almost fell over. he said, "I woke up thinking I need to find a really good massage therapist!" She touched his shoulder/back and said, "Yes, you're getting a lot of pain here." He was shocked. "How do you know?" "I'm good at what I do." (actually, she later shared she's a healer and only got her massage certificate so she could legally lay hands on people.) he said, "Can you work on me today?" She said "Sure." Then the three of us sang our favorite Al Jarreau songs right there among the broccoli. It was one of the best times I ever had. From then on until we left, he was a regular customer.

He is one of the most beautiful, spiritual, kind, aware people I have ever known. Last year he finally had to have shoulder/back surgery because shaking a percussion instrument all those years messed it up. But he always said, when Chrissy came, he was pain free.

Personally, I'm a John Denver woman myself. Wouldn't he fit in with us farmgirls? Sure miss his energy on the planet.

Thanks for letting me ramble.

Hugs,
Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Kathy A.
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Kathy
Utah
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  01:51:39 AM  Show Profile
Patricia, Thanks for sharing this story I love it! This is what life is all about a surprise meeting, chatting and singing among the organic veggies, I could just picture it, to fun, it's the little things isn't it, I'm sure that was way better than going to a concert. I'm not familiar with Al but your story has sparked my curiosity I'll have to check out his music. ~Kathy
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  09:13:36 AM  Show Profile
I love all these music choices...I am jumpin the gun here but may I suggest an alternative to your standard "muzack" Christmas/Holidays fare...The Squirrel Nut Zippers, Christmas Caravan...It is a hoot and you will be dancin to it while your doing holiday baking and decorating. I especially love "Indian Giver and Hot Christmas"

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  09:15:29 AM  Show Profile
Kathy, I think if you get Al's greatest hits CD (I think it's "The Best of Al Jarreau" and you can probably get it at half.com for peanuts) you'll find that you're familiar with most of the songs. Hm. I'm old. What people mostly know Al for is the theme from "Moonlighting", and songs like "Mornin'", "We're in this love together", and "After All". I'll bet you'll recognize them when you hear them. I hope you enjoy them. Like John Denver, he sings from his heart.

I also love John Lennon, the new "Popera" stuff like Josh Groban, The Opera Band, Il Divo, and James Taylor and Linda Rondstadt, especially her standards albums. I love the old standards, but not the way Rod Stewart tries to sing them.

Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  12:14:25 PM  Show Profile
Okay ladies (and our gentleman Erik), I was reading through these and found a home within Rosalie Sorrels music, I had never heard of her, and I checked her out on Amazon and I am completely blown away by her voice. Also listening to Neil Young on his website right now as I type...love it! Thanks for the recommendations! I love expanding my musical repetoire!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet."~Rumi

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2005 :  5:23:32 PM  Show Profile
Julie-bella sweetheart! Guess who's serenading me right now?

Steve Tyrell and A New Standard! Thank you for this recommendation! Hmmm, wonder how I get a personal crooning like this on a regular basis? And it's great to sing along too.... <sigh, sigh>

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2005 :  5:27:21 PM  Show Profile
Steve Tyrell is MY boyfriend!!!
Go to Top of Page

Julie
MaryJane's Farmgirl

60 Posts

Julie
Moscow ID
USA
60 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2005 :  10:37:25 AM  Show Profile
Why Clare! Maybe Steve will show up at your door with a little box of chocolates!!!!! I won't fight you on this one; I need one a little younger. He's all yours, but sounds like you may have a fight on your hands with KJD. To the center of the ring girls..... Good luck.
Nickel Creek is serenading to me. Just the smooth sound I need today. My daughter left this AM, my heart is traveling with her today back to Missoula.

Food Stylin' & Fancy Free
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2005 :  10:57:40 AM  Show Profile
No fighting for me, thanks. Just wishful thinking.... I don't think age matters much, and especially when it comes to crooning... probably only gets better with age, actually!

Know how you feel, Julie, about the kids going. I visited mine (kids and grandkids) this weekend and it's just hard to leave those cute little buggers!

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2005 :  11:19:56 AM  Show Profile
Clare and KJD, Your Steve has a nice smile and eyes...and probably a nicer voice. What kind of songs does he croon? Young or old if a man can sing he is sexy to me!

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2005 :  11:23:26 AM  Show Profile
Meadowlark, here's the link to Amazon, where you can see the cuts on the CD, as well as have a listening sample. I've been rotating him and Neil this morning... ahhhhh... nice!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00001QEOK/qid=1130178276/sr=8-2/ref=pd_bbs_2/002-3699751-7340835?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2005 :  11:45:24 AM  Show Profile
Okay, you peaked my interest....
just had to go to Amazon to listen:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00001QEOK/qid=1130178946/sr=2-2/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/103-9378667-4208635?v=glance&s=music
Wow, not the voice I was expecting!! Even better! He reminded me of an early Tom Waits, who I really liked before his gravel voice turned to slurring mountain boulders!!Steve is much better looking, too!
The standards are great, too. I especially like
"the way you look tonight" and "smile". Apparently, many of these songs were featured on the movie "Father of the Bride"...was that a Steve Martin flick??

www.feedsackfarmgirls.blogspot.com
"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2005 :  12:04:13 PM  Show Profile
Girls!!! Gonna dig into my cookie jar and buy some Steve today!!! Ohhhhhhh and Ahhhhhhh he's FINE!

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2005 :  12:12:52 PM  Show Profile
Yep, fine is a very good description!

Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2005 :  1:54:17 PM  Show Profile
I have the 3 CDs of standards and a Christmas CD of Steve Tyrell. He's from one of Houston's poorest neighborhoods and is related to a couple of Italian restaurant families here - Carrabba and Mandola. Don't know if y'all know of those names outside of Houston. His wife died a couple of years ago from cancer and he has a couple of kids. Trivia from Father of the Bride - he's the singer at the reception, and he must be a personal friend of Diane Keaton, because in the movie, when they're trying to cut down the guest list, she mentions Steve and Stephanie Tyrell. He also sings in other movies of hers - Something's Gotta Give for example.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2005 :  1:03:49 PM  Show Profile
Girls I'm a mess today...a wreck...I was listening to Neil Youngs Prairie Wind, and the cut This Old Guitar and just broke down and sobbed...I had dreams of being a guitar player in a band at the age of 11 in 1967...Mom bought me a very fine 6 string and signed me up for lessons with a talented young man that I kept at for a year...then horses grabbed my adolescent attention. I sold my beautiful guitar to a guy at the age of 19 cause I needed the money...Neil's song brought it all back...and my heart is bleedin all over the floors I have been scrubbing today! Neil is NOT the guy to listen to when you are hormonal!

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2005 :  1:11:13 PM  Show Profile
Meadowlark, Maybe what's being whispered in your ear is that it's time to re-invest in a guitar? I enjoy that song too, especially like the line about the guitar doing the driving... And I love that Elvis song, the beat and the fun that they have with it and then it's juxtaposition right before the When God Made Me song just blows me away all the time.... Give it some thought, maybe you'll be accompanying BirdCat and me next FarmFair as we do our Summer Stock bit! haha.. that would be a hoot, wouldn't it?

"I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live up to what light I have." - Abraham Lincoln.... http://farmstyle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2005 :  1:13:13 PM  Show Profile
I know I want to see it!
Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2005 :  1:19:55 PM  Show Profile
Sigh...Maybe so Clare...Menopause...ain't it a trip? Wish these mood swings would blow away on that prairie wind!

Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2005 :  1:27:09 PM  Show Profile
Wow....are we a connected bunch or what???
I have been listening to Prairie Wind all afternoon and I was weeping not to the words but to the pedal steel guitar and harmonica on "Here for You". Such sweet yanking of the heartstrings.Whew..sniffle. This Old Guitar is made even more sweet by the whipers of Emmy Lou Harris singing backup.
Meadowlark, Neil is exactlythe guy to listen to when you are hormonal or hurting or blue.......just let 'er rip, woman!!
It's worked for me for many many years...
and I like to hang on.
Pick up a guitar soon...know anyone that would let you hold their's?

BEB

"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2005 :  1:40:46 PM  Show Profile
Sistahs!!! If I hear Old Man or Heart of Gold or Harvest Moon I is gonna lose it...ebay music store hear I come! Neil as HRT!!! Gotta love it!

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2005 :  2:00:22 PM  Show Profile
BEB, I too love the harmonica especially. I wonder why it's not more prevelant in popular type music because it is beauuuuuutiful. I do like Emmylou's voice... it just completes that song, doesn't it? Heck, I just love the whole thing.... been listening to it in "heavy rotation" (haha ) today.... I really like to listen to it at home and crank the volume up and just get lost... of course, can't do that here and now, but later, the windows will be vibrating to the soul of Neil's music!

"I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live up to what light I have." - Abraham Lincoln.... http://farmstyle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2005 :  2:54:28 PM  Show Profile
True Confessions/Guilty Pleasure time:
I have every single recording Neil ever made,in album and CD...(except a few there in the early 80's when he went Rockabilly in defiance of his record company!)
Everyday of my life there is a Neil recording in the mix of music I listen to.Every day. I don't admit that too many people ... His music has soothed many ruffled feathers and broken hearts.I never ever get tired of him.

J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2005 :  3:34:45 PM  Show Profile
Neil is powerful medicine Sue. He was for me at sweet 16, and he is at 49. And he will be at 99!

Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2005 :  08:22:10 AM  Show Profile
always been a neil young fan, and I get the hormonal thing on why you got the willies for the male voice, we danced in honor of duane allman last night at the hootenanny's bonfire being as the anniversay of skydogs death was yesterday.

wondering outloud why a girl tribe doesn't hang out on a woman's voice?
Ten Women with something to say: http://www.cmt.com/artists/news/1495308/01042005/patty_griffin.jhtml

patty griffen video long ride home
http://www.cmt.com/artists/az/patty_griffin/videos.jhtml
sun sinks like a stone is a good phrase.

meadowlark buy that old 6string guitar and I'll road trip westward ho, rounding up yer groupies, and we'll circle the chuckwagon around yer chili pit to bring ya one on one lessons exclusively divined with farmgal dancers and back up singers!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Reading Room: Previous Topic Music Room Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page