mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  2:49:09 PM  Show Profile
Erik, I heard some folk song on the radio the other day that reminded me of you, I assume it was called "Chicken Man", it cracked me up!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet."~Rumi

Go to Top of Page

Birdcat
MaryJane's Farmboy

51 Posts

erik

51 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  4:01:35 PM  Show Profile
can ya cluck a couple verses, Molly?
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  6:17:06 PM  Show Profile
Fellow Steve Tyrell fans - I see in the paper today, he has a new CD - "Quite Frank" - Songs of Sinatra. Yay!!! My husband has something to get me for Christmas!
Go to Top of Page

Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  9:32:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
I just need to break in here, ladies. Because tonight...I saw Dar Williams in concert. Afterwards, I went to the VIP lounge at the venue. There I learned that she was at another part of the venue signing autographs. I waited, in order to not be a crazy fan....and I missed my opportunity. I'm SO sad! She was standing right in front of me. I have been a fan for years and years. It's not a big deal. i know i'll have other opportunities..but I'm just a little dissapointed in myself that I didn't just say hello. She was amazing in concert, as usual. I don't know what held me back! I was sure she wasn't actually "leaving" and that I'd have another chance. Anyhow, just wondering if there are other Dar fans out there.
J
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2005 :  03:27:43 AM  Show Profile
Judes,
Back in the early nineties,I managed a local coffeehouse and had the great pleasure of booking the music as one of my responsibilities.
Once we got on the coffeehouse "circuit" we were contacted by many traveling singer songwriters as a stop on their way to Philadelphia.
Dar Williams was a relatively unknown singer at that time, and we welcomed her to our place... sometimes singing to a mere audience of 30 appreciative fans.We knew she was destined to make it big!!
She was gracious and sweet and just gave all she had to our little venue. Also, because we were next door to a health food store we were included in her book "Tofu Tollbooth" that she came up with so that she ( and others) are able to locate good natural food stores and healthy places to eat on the road.
It is available from Amazon....
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/188610106X/103-9378667-4208635?v=glance&n=283155&v=glance

I noticed the other day that she has a new CD out...I'll have to give it a listen!!

www.feedsackfarmgirls.blogspot.com
"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2005 :  04:27:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
Most of the songs she played last night are from her new album, which I don't have yet. But now I want it more! Of course, she played a few older songs as well...I don't have kids yet, but I always get all choked up at the song "The one who knows" because it makes me think of the love a parent has for a child. Turns out she wrote that song before she had kids, for a couple she was friends with who had that kind of endless well of love for their child. She played it last night and I lost it. Ecspecially after she explained why she wrote it. She is also one of the funniest, wittiest people I've ever seen. I saw her last year at a small theatre with Mary Chapin Carpenter, Shawn Colvin & Patti Griffin. They performed in a round-robin fashion, and every single time...when she had finished her turn, the other 3 just sat there in awe for a bit. That was my favorite show so far in this life. How lucky you are to have met and heard her play so early! She certainly has grown as an artist, but I love her early & new work. I like how she brings a sense of humor to some of the bigger issues she tackles in her writing (politics, religion etc) Anyhow, thanks for the information about her book! I'll add it to my amazon wish list! I think she also has a new children's book. Ah...here it is!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0439395631/qid=1131539031/sr=8-9/ref=pd_bbs_9/104-9370770-3060707?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
Ps I love your blog. Just checked it out!
Judes
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2005 :  07:43:56 AM  Show Profile
HA! Erik, I wish I could cluck a couple for ya, but that was the only time ever hearing the song, maybe I'll have to do a google search and get back to ya...

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet."~Rumi

Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2005 :  10:16:26 AM  Show Profile

I am not a particular fan of "Best of.." compilations but a few nights ago I picked up the new "The Very Best of Emmy Lou Harris--
Heartaches & Highways" and sidled up to one of those listening stations at B&N.
I am not fond of listening stations hogs either..but I became one while listening to Emmy Lou do many good ole time songs from the early 70's and 80's with a few reaching to current time.I knew I was gonna bring it home when I was about three songs deep, but I just couldnt stop listening. It's great.And she is SUCH a beauty!1

Anyway, I'd like to also pass along a hard-learned lesson, too..
If you ever have those headphones on,DO NOT try to talk to anybody nearby...You have NO idea how loud you're talkin' until you see a bunch of people turn to see who the shouting goofball wearin' the headphones is....
DUH! I don't get out much...'cept to them shoutin' hockey places.
I'm welcome there.......

www.feedsackfarmgirls.blogspot.com
www.farmatcoventry.com
"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2005 :  10:03:35 PM  Show Profile
Judes- Oh you lucky girl! Dar, Patty and Shawn? That would have been a favorite of mine too! I'll have to give a listen to the new cd. I got to see her when she performed at WXPN's singer/songwriter weekend.

Dear BLUE EGGS- Was that you I saw dancing and talking REAL loud in the music dept?! I was the one SINGING real loud!(Much to the dismay of my son who slunk off to a corner where he could not be associated with me! He was probably commiserating with your kids!)

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2005 :  10:08:00 PM  Show Profile
Bramble and BlueEggbabe Farmgirl Hooten-nanny...That would have been a sight and sound extravaganza!!! I think there some divas about to be launched!!!

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2005 :  3:28:10 PM  Show Profile
Have any of you ladies (or Erik :) heard of Nick Drake? Oh my what a voice. He was Cambridge educated, from the UK, died young and underappreciated during the early 70's and had the most soothing smooth voice I think I've ever heard. Do an Amazon search for his music, you won't be disappointed. His song, "Northern Sky" was featured in the movie "Serendipity" and is undeniably (in my opinion) one of the most beautiful love songs.

Molly
http://mollymaequilts.tripod.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Reading Room: Previous Topic Music Room Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page