mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2007 :  11:55:30 AM  Show Profile
Cindy don't give up. I agree with Alee...drink lots of water sure does help!!

"learn to watch snails" SARK
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2007 :  12:41:07 PM  Show Profile
I would like to join in.. I have a lot to lose (135 lbs!) but I am trying to take it 10 lbs at a time so I don't get overwhelmed..I have 6 children to chase after.. I have been this overweight for sometime now and it is finally catching up with me- joints hurt, tired, and I am just miserable..

Blessings, Debra
Psalms 23:1 "The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want."
http://myvintagehome.com
http://debbieknits.net
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2007 :  2:29:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Debra-

I know you can do it! 10lbs at a time is a great goal! Drinking water really helps me, and the fitness experts are now saying that even if you have to break up your "positive activity" time then it still counts! 3 ten minute sessions count as 30 minutes! :D That's always good news for busy moms!

And even doing something simple like doing some arm raises with the jugs of milk as you carry in the groceries can make you stronger. (I know all my neighbors must be wondering what I am doing flapping milk jugs all over while I walk to my apartment! LOL)

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2007 :  3:08:16 PM  Show Profile
thanks for the encouragement Alee.
I am trying to be more active.. and drinking lots of water.
Good news about being able to split up exercise.. very good news for mama's..

Blessings, Debra
Go to Top of Page

shawna
True Blue Farmgirl

241 Posts

missouri (north)
241 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2007 :  3:44:41 PM  Show Profile
Debra-good thinking on breaking things up.This is going to make catching those kids much easier!

boy the day is almost over and i,ve got nothing to speak of done. i did wade through the water to get the mail! i'm having a hard time getting baby to stay asleep, so the mail will just have to go down as walking. monday will be better--oh well does getting all the kids to the chiro. office count as workout- sure feels like it

xoxo s.r.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2007 :  4:28:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Shawna- Do you have a sling or snugli for you wee one? That really helped me with Nora and she is so happy and independent now.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2007 :  5:43:04 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Debra and yes....one step at a time will get you there. YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2007 :  3:13:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Whoops! I forgot to weigh myself this morning, so I will do it tomorrow. I try to weigh myself first thing so it is relatively consitent for each weigh in. :D

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2007 :  5:03:21 PM  Show Profile
Hello guys, I just finished writing you all the most witty and inspiring post but was snooping around at some of the old posts on this thread and lost all of my wonderful words of wisdom. Now, I know I can't top what I had to say so I'm not going to try. I am just going to tell you all that I am so happy that you all are in this with me and I am glad to call you friends. Cindy
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2007 :  10:16:04 PM  Show Profile
Awww Cindy, well ain't you sweet? And sweet is better than witty any day! And what you DID write was pretty dern inspiring! I too am really happy to share this adventure with farmgirls-the best girls in the world!

Also, I wanted to welcome you Debra! I "joined up" a bit late too...but am already finding these friends to be so encouraging and supportive. I think setting goals in 10 pound increments is very wise. It's easy to get discouraged when we look at the big picture, but setting goals like "I want to fit back into that certain pair of jeans" etc. works better for me. I bet this will help you too!

I nearly fainted when I got on the scale this morning...I am down SEVEN pounds now! I admit I was pretty lazy about exercise today. Does pressing down on the sewing machine pedal count? I pressed HARD. Ahem...

Rhonda

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2007 :  12:53:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yay Rhonda! Keep up the great work! 7 pounds is great work!

Cindy- you are sweet and wonderful and I am so glad everyone is here too!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2007 :  3:04:58 PM  Show Profile
Rhonda!!!!! Seven pounds, what I wouldn't give to be able to say that!!! I never knew that sewing was a form of exercise! Good to know!

Debra, I agree with everyone here, 10 lbs at a time will seem much easier than looking only at the end result. I have a lot to go too so I'm breaking it down into small goals as well. I hit my first goal a couple weeks ago and now I have my next one set for Christmas. It would be WAY to discouraging to think of the whole thing stretched out in front of me! I still would LOVE to meet you! I go to Carson City weekly for work, maybe we could meet for lunch (low calorie of course!) Email me if you would like to do that.

Well, I'm off to meet my daughter at the gym. Maybe I will see some action on the scales this week! Keeping my fingers crossed!
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  09:26:52 AM  Show Profile
Good morning ladies, I'm doing the happy dance here this fine autumn morning...I'm down TEN pounds!!!! How fun it is to actually look forward to getting on the scale for a change!

I knew I'd been behavin' all week and was hopeful...

I'm wondering if anyone might be interested in sharing good recipes using fresh ingredients? I know there are lots out there, but it's always nice to have a recommendation. Don't want to highjack this thread...but the cooking forum doesn't seem like the right place. Maybe a new thread under the health topic?

I am doing good with drinking lots of water...not so good on STRUCTURED exercise. I do move around a lot doing chores & such, and the dog is looking forward to his walk this afternoon. I am considering dusting off one of those little used cardio-fit type things that is in a lonely corner of the basement. I have always been the artist, not the athlete...Can you SEE a pattern here?

Still no TOPS for me...I emailed the regional person but have gotten no response.

Anyhoo...HOW and WHAT is everyone else doing? Hope you are all having a great Monday!

Blessings,
Rhonda

Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  10:28:58 AM  Show Profile
I am down 4 lbs. Several days ago I started a low carb diet. Not induction as I am breastfeeding but I am eating lots of greens (salads and sneaking them in any chance I can get to other foods as well- ex.. a low carb spagetti sauce- I blended 1 lb of spinach into the sauce- you couldn't tell, and I am making meatballs today minus the breadcrumbs- will add spinach to those as well) and chicken, some beef and seeds..
I just came to the point where I am starting to feel this extra weight I am carrying.. As I get older I feel it more.
Blessings,debra

Blessings, Debra
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  9:22:58 PM  Show Profile
A great start Debra! Four pounds is awesome! I think just deciding to DO something is what's important. I admit I was just being lazy for too long about what I ate. I am doing a sort of modified South Beach thing, sounds similar to your "plan". I find I LIKE eating this way & feel more energy too!

Good for you Debra & stick with it-you won't be feeling that extra weight for long!
Blessings,
Rhonda

Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  04:50:06 AM  Show Profile
Rhonda and Debra....You guys are doing great! I'm thrilled that you both had a good week, sounds like you are on fire!

I went to W.W. on friday and had only lost a pound. That is disappointing to say the least but I can feel it in my clothes and the way they fit so I just have to keep pluggin' along. I'm feeling good like you so I just have to be happy with the blessing of good health at this point, and I know the pounds will eventually come off!

If life gives you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  07:24:06 AM  Show Profile
WOW ladies you are all doing so good. I went to TOPS last night and only lost 1/2 a pound. WAsn't really expecting much more than that as I had been indulging all week. Hey, I figure a loss is better than a gain.
Rhonda....Sorry that you can't find a TOPS near you. Keep trying.

Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2007 :  9:33:25 PM  Show Profile
Amen to that Melanie! We'll be WAY down next week!
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2007 :  6:07:06 PM  Show Profile
Well, I'm not WAY down like I had hoped but I lost 1.5 lbs this week. It is slow going but I really am OK with it. I feel great and have been on top of the world for weeks! It's a good place to be!! How are you all doing?
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2007 :  07:07:26 AM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
I've decided to put myself "out-there" and join in on this forum. I'm really impressed & encouraged by the posts I've read.
I went from a sz 8, 133lbs in 1997 to a sz 12, 164lbs in the 9 yrs. up to 2006. I've had many health issues in the interrum...peri-meno/menopause, wheat & gluten intollerance, lactose intollerence, lead/cadmium poisoning that has wreaked havoc on my endocrine system, to name a few. Those coupled with a less-active lifestyle & the associated depression & I'm a bit of a "train-smash" as my naturopath says.
I've done WW's, The Sonoma Diet, Atkins, The French Diet, The Cabbage Soup diet...my list is endless. The best tasting food choices were The Sonoma Diet & I still use the recipes. Because of the lead/cadmium poisoning, I'm on a restricted diet. No nuts, dairy, cruciferous vegetables, sweets (that goes w/o saying) proteins are limited to specific types, and so on. So, you'd think I'd be slim & trim with all those limitations; not so...I'm @ 158 right now, thanks in part to Brenda Watson's Fiber35 Diet & some of her guidelines, but no where near my healthy weight of 130-135 for my age and frame.
I have had some results with Brenda Watson's Fiber35 Diet. Fiber & water are the two keys to any of my weight-loss success. I've found that fiber keeps me feeling full/satisfied longer. I get the fiber using McCann's Steel Cut Oatmeal, or an apple/raisin/walnut salad for breakfast, plus others. I'm not supposed to have the nuts, but naturopath says it's okay if they're soaked overnight 1st. Sometimes I use Brenda's FitSmart shake in the a.m. It's the only one that doesn't cause any peaks or crashes in my blood-sugar. The sweetener is Xylitol...as good or better than stevia. The fiber is acacia...not harsh like psyllium or some of the other fibers. Anyway...the other thing I'm starting to do is a good protein or high-fiber/low GI carb breakfast, a heavier lunch and a lighter supper. Now, my husband is 6'6" and can eat 24/7, so I have to be careful not to have him on my "diet"...that's why I liked Sonoma...it was food for everyone, but portion control for me, I just make sure he has larger portions when we do the "light" supper. Light is something from the Sonoma Diet or similar. It's how I've dropped the 7 lbs so far.
Anyway...I have a goal of 140 for now...little-by-little, small changes in my lifestyle seem to have the longest lasting effect. I have a ton of exercise equipment that I use sporadically...that's a change I must focus on, exercising more consistently.
Do any of you want to be an accountability buddie? Record the exercise and the frequency and be accountable to each other daily? Doesn't have to be the same exercise, just an activity, & then check in w/ each other, oh, it could be daily or even weekly?

She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
Proverbs 31:16

Edited by - MasterGardener on Oct 27 2007 07:19:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2007 :  09:17:55 AM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
G'mornin',
I got on the scale this a.m.,...157 lbs

She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.

Edited by - MasterGardener on Oct 29 2007 7:37:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2007 :  5:54:30 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone! Welcome Chandra! Well...it's Monday, I am down 2 pounds, a total of 12. I am really SEEING it now in the way I look. This feels SO wonderful! I am entirely happy with a small loss each week, slow and steady, as you both pointed out Cindy & Chandra. Small steps. I really appreciate all of you working here alongside me. I hope everyone will share how they are doing, even if (especially if) you are struggling! I want to encourage you, as you all have encouraged me!

Chandra, lots of good information in your post. I will check into the sweeteners this weekend when I get to a bigger shopping area. Is the Xylitol a natural sweetener? I'm also going to look up the Sonoma recipes-any tasty healthy recipe is much appreciated!

My biggest struggle is with exercise. I can't afford a gym, and live 20 minutes from the closest (small) town. Lots of room out here for walking though!

DH is joining me in trimming down. He only has 10 pounds or so to lose. He just returned from his annual backpacking trip and was disappointed to feel "winded" going up the steeper hills. Anyway, I'm excited he is joining me in eating better!

Hope everyone is having a great week so far!
Blessings,
Rhonda

Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2007 :  6:22:10 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
In the a.m. Will post info on Xylitol and share some of the recipes from The Sonoma Diet...hope that doesn't get me in trouble...it'll be our little secret :)
Congratulations on the 2 lbs/ 12 lbs Rhonda...they do add up! Slow and steady...the lbs tend to stay off that way...and most of the time it means we're learning new/healthier habits & making better lifestyle choices.

Chandra

Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2007 :  6:29:52 PM  Show Profile
Oh Chandra Hun! Please don't post recipes if it will cause a problem for you. I am unfamiliar with the diet and thought I would look into it. I had no idea the recpies were not available to the public. I've never heard of Xylitol, but would appreciate any info on it though.

Agreed that REAL change is the way to better long term weight control. Thanks for the encouragement!

Blessings,
Rhonda

Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2007 :  7:29:41 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Hi Rhonda,
The recipes are available to the public...in the cookbook and on the membership site...so, yes, they're public...I was just thinking about copyright laws. My husband says I'm just not to mention where it came from...

I couldn't find my print-out about xylitol, but found this link: http://xylitol.org/faqs.asp
Caution: Xylitol can be deadly for animals, but IS safe for humans. http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/xylitol.asp

Will post a recipe in the kitchen section in the a.m.

Goodnight farmgirls,
Chandra

Edited by - MasterGardener on Oct 29 2007 7:40:47 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Monday Morning Weigh-In Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page