Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 feet and ankles swelling
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic feet and ankles swelling Next Topic  

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  9:14:49 PM  Show Profile
Okay...the past few days it is driving me crazy to have my feet and ankles swell up and look weird every day!! I never have had this problem EVER..even during pregnancy..which was a LONG time ago..so I guess it dosn't count. Granted I AM overweight..but that is nothing new. Any hints? I am not able to take diuretics ...the doc tried to add that to my high blood pressure medicine to help it work last summer and I was faint all the time..not a good thing!! So she switched me to a whole different type of BP meds. It has been really hot here..but it is every year...just hate this sort of thing!! I don't have time for it!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  10:30:13 PM  Show Profile
Jenny:
Try to keep your feet lifted whenever you sit to watch TV or chat. Cold compresses may work. I wish I knew some old trick to tell you, but I don't. I will pray that your feet unswell. Keep us posted. I'll check tomorrow on your condition. Hopefully all the swellen will be gone down. My husband's ankles swell, and he puts aspergreme on them. He also pats them with alcohol. Take care Jenny. Have a great and happy day.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  03:44:01 AM  Show Profile
Hey gals! Good advice from Marly; and I wonder, since it is very hot there, are you drinking enough water? Dehydration causes the body to retain whatever water it has. So, contrary to what I would think, flooding yourself with water actually brings down swelling as opposed to compounding the problem. Or too much salt in the diet lately perhaps.... Also, since we know you are a go go go gal, your body is perhaps not horizontal long enough. I have this problem of swollen ankles occasionally when we are flying back and forth from France to Virginia.......too many hours upright. Take it easy, put your feet up and sit a spell with a big glass of ice water with lemon for that extra vitamin C kick! Hugs, Nance
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  05:35:43 AM  Show Profile
Jenny, Ive been having the same trouble over the last week, I just thought it was because I had been standing on my feet all day. I very rarely eat salt, but havent been drinking as much water Ill have to try drinking more. Oh and the weight thing well my feet swole even when I was little, But that could have been because I stood working 12hr shifts, but Im going to stick with the weight thing(te-he)! Hope you swelling goes down soon. Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10 http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  07:24:07 AM  Show Profile
Good advice by all....I was going to ask about the salt intake since it makes you retain water and it can add to any bp problem you might have. You need to drink lots but you also need to get rid of it so you don't swell. Dehydration can be a bad thing this time of year and elevating those limbs is great too...I know....if you're like most of us you're on your feet all day! I've learned...finally...after several illnesses to try and not abuse my body and to treat it with the respect and care that it deserves after all these lo many years! LOL! Take care of yourself as good if not better than those you take care of! Love ya!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  8:08:31 PM  Show Profile
Ok ladies, time for "windy" 'ol me to chime in here--- are there any heart problems in the family? You might want to tell your doc about the swelling. It COULD be as simple as the ladies all suggested above, but it could also be some change in your general health. When patients with heart conditions (or suspected heart conditions) came in to our office, my doc INSISTED that I weigh the patient (kicking and SCREAMING if need be!! LOL) to see how much weight difference there was from one visit to the next (water retention is a BIG warning sign). Anyway, just mention it to your doctor. If the swelling continues even after trying all that's already been suggested it might need furthur investigation. It might be nothing, it might be something. You never know. Our body is VERY good at giving us warning signs, we just need to listen. And do what Sandra says! Take care of YOURSELF!!!! Hugs~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  05:37:20 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jenny,

How's the feet and ankles? Another cause for this could be a medication that you're taking. I had that happen to me with an anti-imflamitory drug called Mobic. Check your meds.

Tina

You can tell your dog all of your secrets and they'll never say a word!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  07:40:46 AM  Show Profile
Jenny, I have had that happen before in hot weather especially after long car rides or plane rides, but my feet would be their least swollen when I woke up in the morning and most swollen at night after being on them all day. I found a correlation between the high-salt "travel food" and sitting with my legs in a dependent position for so long and not drinking my usual 8 glasses of water a day and the edema. Elevating my legs did help but mostly the return to my normal diet and fluid intake would resolve it. I too hate it when it happens. How is it going now?

Jami in WA

Okay, so now I have a blog. http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  10:16:34 AM  Show Profile
IT is much better now..not any cooler really here...but it is better. There are still some days..when I have to drive a long way or walk a long way and it is hot out..that they swell some, but not nearly as bad as for awhile there.
I am on a high blood pressure med that I wasn't on this time last year...so I wonder if that makes a difference. The only other med I am taking is thyroid stuff that is newer than the swelling..haha. Mine are better in the morning and worst in the evening too..when they swell.
I loved that you all had such great suggestions..and I have been following them all. Thanks so much!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic feet and ankles swelling Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page