mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2007 :  5:38:56 PM  Show Profile
Good job everyone. Me...well I joined TOPS (take off pounds sensibly) instead of Weight Watchers. TOPS is only $30.00 to join and $2.00 each meeting. We encourage each other and help each other out with great recipes and great ideas. I get weighed every Monday (in a closed room with one lady that is sworn to secrecy about your weight:)) I like that I am accountable to someone it sure does help. By the way...still 174 I will loose weight this week. I know I can, I know I can!!

"learn to watch snails" SARK
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  08:08:54 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
OKAY...here you go!

162 - YIKES!

That's on my scale at home...which probably is about 8 pounds off so I would say closer to 170. I very well might buy a better scale today while in the city.

Susan
http://www.thesoapmaven.com
http://notquitejunecleaver.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  10:31:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Okay here it goes! 152 and I am in my clothes! Yay! I am not doing too badly then! My goal is to be down to 145 by the end of my vacation. I need to start walking every morning and evening and watching what I eat! I tried on some wedding dresses and was mortified at what I looked like and what I couldn't even get into! Yikes!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  10:36:47 AM  Show Profile
Good morning! Well, last week I was a baaaaad JudyBlueEyes! I gained a pound. What happened was we had 2 birthdays at work and I was asked to get the cake. Well, since it was for TWO birthdays, it had to be special, right? So I ordered this very delicious, but EVIL "white chocolate raspberry torte" from the bakery...OMG, is it ever good. So I had two pieces on the birthday party day (one in the morning and one in the afternoon) and another piece the next day! But now I am back to the strict part of the South Beach diet as I would just love it if I could lose another 8-10 pounds in the next two weeks before I go home for a long weekend to San Diego. So that's my story. Down 12, up 1.

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  5:18:21 PM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
By the way I am not really over weight...I am just VERY under tall.

Susan
http://www.thesoapmaven.com
http://notquitejunecleaver.com
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  7:34:05 PM  Show Profile
OH, Susan me too. If I was 5'9 I'd have to go eat something...ROLF. We don't want to be "go eat a sandwich, please" thin! Not very practical for all we have to get done in a day...we'd have no energy.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  8:50:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yeah, some of those movie stars just give me the willies when I see pictures of their shoulder blades sticking out and knoby wrists and arms with no muscle tone. Yuck! Give me strong and healthy any day- even if the means having a little extra tub!

Hey- people always want babies to gain weight and cheer them on...maybe I just listened really well as a baby!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Sarah Blue
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Sierra Mountains California
USA
172 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2007 :  09:58:14 AM  Show Profile
My WW weigh in was yesterday and I met my goal of losing 1.2 lbs for the week, making my new total 10 lbs! I've gone from 177 to 167 in 7 weeks and every day is difficult but I feel on track. The hardest part is when I feel hungry in the late afternoon and have to resist eating lots of snacks, especially right when I get home from work. My favorite healthy afternoon fillers include things like instant miso soup - 1 pt., instant seaweed soup - 0 pts., 100 cal. kettle corn - 1 pt., 1 cup berries - 1 pt., WW sweet & salty bar - 2pts. Let's motivate each other to stick with it, because it's really easy to give up, especially when your progress is slow. I've lost enough now that my current pants are feeling loose, but not enough to fit into the next size down. That's a bit discouraging. It's very demoralizing trying to put on clothes and seeing your skin hanging over the edges and not being able to get the buttons to meet...

"i believe in god, only i spell it nature." - frank lloyd wright
http://www.myspace.com/svgrrrl
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2007 :  09:23:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am still about 152. My mom's scale is basically just a good guesstimate. We have been eating out a lot and really rich food, so I am suprised that I haven't gained!

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2007 :  09:48:21 AM  Show Profile
I am down two pounds since I first weighed in. 186. I've kicked the soda pretty much so my biggest issue now is getting hungry at 10 o'clock at night and eating something. I have been trying to eat things like apples and grapes but they still leave my tummy growling. Anyone have any suggestions?

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com

Edited by - willowtreecreek on Jun 18 2007 09:49:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2007 :  12:29:40 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I need to do this just to have the encouragment. Yes, I want to lose weight but most of all I really want to have a healthier life style. It took me all these years to get here it will take me a while to get it off. I weigh 204. I had to start taking medications to ward off the migraines, then something new for the IBS. When I started these I gained major weight. I have weighed 169 for over 10 years, walked every day. Then we moved to Spokane and took care of DH parents. I ended up not taking care of myself. So here i sit 7 years later, and I need to deal. Here have been my baby steps. Eating breakfast. I all my life have fought with it. Mom always told me it was the most important meal. Now the doctors can prove it. So far for the last 4 weeks I have had breakfast every morning. That is a major accomplishment for me. Next, drinking more water. I also figure if I walk 3 times a week that that is a goal I can accomplish. You gals are encouraging. My weakness is wanting a soda. Have switched to drinking ice tea and water. Every once in awhile a soda. Baby steps is where I am at.
Carol Sue

Life is short, enjoy every moment.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2007 :  5:15:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Carol Sue-

If you go off Soda completely you will stop craving them by and by. I had to stop drinking soda because we can't really afford it and it isn't so great for Nora to get caffiene through breastmilk. And I like the caffinated sodas best! But now don't think about it and I hardly ever crave a soda!

It sounds like you are doing a great job! Keep up the good work! You will start noticing changes soon if you keep walking!

Alee

Go to Top of Page

gateway girl
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Shari
Missouri
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2007 :  7:18:27 PM  Show Profile
I'm going to really try to lose weight this time. I weighed myself today. I am 157 pounds. 10 years ago I weighed 98 pounds,( I know...way to skinny ), had my thyroid go out on me and in 3 weeks went up to 135. Five years ago I met my soulmate and we got married 4 years ago and I've gone from 135 to 157. I need to reverse this and fast. I can actually feel this weight on my chest. Sounds weird but I can feel it. Much harder to breathe right and I've started to snore! Poor DH will have to get earplugs if I don't get this weight off. I'm glad you girls are here. I'm glad to have a support system!

Gateway Girl

Guardian Angels surround me and keep all enemies from me!
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2007 :  8:28:35 PM  Show Profile
Alee,
Thanks for the encouragement. Guess what I ended up drinking this evening, you guessed it a soda. Can only afford to buy when on sale and have stopped doing that. Took short walk earlier, need to do longer. But doing something is better than doing nothing. That's what I keep reminding myself.
Later, Carol Sue

Go to Top of Page

Sarah Blue
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

USA
172 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2007 :  9:05:16 PM  Show Profile
I really feel a kinship with anyone else who is wanting to/trying to take these steps. It can be so discouraging when we have such a long way to go. Remember that it's a journey and you have to give yourself credit just for being on it. Here are some tips that I personally have found helpful:

1) Replace old habits with new ones and over time they will start to stick. For example, instead of snacking after work, go for a walk. Instead of eating while you watch TV, crochet. Instead of snacking at 10pm, write a journal entry.

2) Prepare your plate with very small amounts of the high calorie foods and pile on the veggies. Don't try to deprive yourself completely of the things you love if it's too difficult at first.

3) Get your temptations out of the house. If you can't get them out of the house for some reason. Put them somewhere difficult to reach and difficult to see.

4) When ordering food in a restaurant ask for the to go box before the meal even arrives. When the food comes, pack away at least half of it.

5) Buy your favorite fruits, cut them up and put them in the fridge. When you want a snack have some ice cold fruit chunks. Yum.

6) If the rest of your family is having delicious tri tip, fish, pork or chicken, cut yours up and put it on a giant salad instead of having it with starchy side dishes. (Remember that a serving of meat is really only about the size of a deck of cards!) Add things like garbanzo beans, steamed broccoli, green beans, or cut corn and the salad will be more filling. There are some very good low fat and fat free salad dressings out there now. Use them!

7) If you find a healthy snack you like, for example mini rice cakes, measure out individual servings in ziploc bags ahead of time. This can prevent the "oops, I can't believe I ate the whole bag" syndrome.

8) For encouragement, food tips, and recipes try websites like http://www.hungry-girl.com or http://www.dwlz.com

9) Don't give up if you have a setback. It's easier to quit than to stick with it, but if you really didn't care, you wouldn't have started trying in the first place. Keep a journal of your feelings toward dieting, exercise and weight loss.

10) Here is a delicious 2 pt. dessert that substitutes for an ice cream sandwich. Place fat free whipped topping and thinly sliced strawberries between two sheets of low fat graham cracker and freeze. Even my boyfriend loves these!

I hope some of these are helpful. I'm having a pretty bad week myself. Not sure if I can pull it together in time for weigh in on Thursday. These tips are reminders for myself too.

Sarah

Go to Top of Page

newheart
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Margie
Owings Mills Maryland
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  05:01:25 AM  Show Profile
Oh My Goodness, I have been on MJF site for a year and don't recall seeing this site before...

I have tried every diet in the world and some I made up myself..I fiqure I have loss and gained roughly 1,684 lbs give or take a oz or 2.. LOL..

I just joined TOPS recently (in May) and really like it..in fact so much that some friends and I started a new chapter of TOPS here in Owings Mills..I was driving 50 miles round trip to meetings and thought we could do one here..6 ladies signed up and we meet at our Dr.s office on Thursday mornings...I absolutely love it..Hopefully we will all slim down and feel better..

Margie

Chocolate makes my Heart 'sing"...
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  09:07:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Margie and Shari-

I am so glad to have you ladies joining in on this thread in particular! I love how we are all being so supportive of each other! I know it really makes a difference when I know I can come on here and spill about a bad day and then get encouraged to pick up and try again!

Alee

Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  09:27:06 AM  Show Profile
I too have joined TOPS!! It is a great outlet to help you loose weight, get support and meet people all at the same time. I joined 3 weeks ago and have lost 1 1/2 pounds. BAby steps will get me there!!

"learn to watch snails" SARK
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  12:29:52 PM  Show Profile
Hi, FarmGirls! Well, I am still down 10, but that means I'm up 1 from last week...I'm trying to psyche myself up for being good, but I'm going home for 4 days on Saturday, and you know how the family and friends love to wine & dine you...I will be strong! Good luck to all, and Good Job, Melanie!

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  12:46:26 PM  Show Profile
Ok. I haven't posted in a while because it was the same old story...139. Well, yesterday, I hopped on the scale and it said 135. So, I'm totally psyched, except when I stepped on it this am, it said 139.

What gives? Can you seriously gain 3 lbs in a day? I had one taco last night for dinner, and a southbeach diet breakfast bar. Give me a break!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  1:52:39 PM  Show Profile
Guess who got on her bike and rode 3 miles. I haven't been on my bike for 3 years and it was so much fun. My legs are having a cow right now, but who cares. The wind blowing in my short hair was way way cool.
I have found when I want that crunch that eating sugar snap peas is helping. Maybe I just like the sound, who knows!!!!
Thanks for the encouragment Alee, actually for all you ladies for being honest about where you are at.
Carol Sue

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  2:37:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jonni- I know that if you don't drink enough water, we tend to retain more water in response so yes, I have gained 3lbs in a day. I call it Camel Syndrome. When I don't drink enough water, my body thinks it has to hold on to every molocule of it so I turn into a giant camel. Then when I start drinking water- I end up running to the potty every half hour because my body flushes itself.

So Ladies! I am offering a challenge! Lets keep track of how much water we drink and (if you want) how many potty stops we have to make! I bet after a couple of days our potty stops go down and we all lose at least a pound! Or if you don't want to count potty stops, just count glasses (ounces) of water and how much weight we lose! I will start right now!

Another thing I do to make sure I am drinking enough is to drink a glass of water after every time I have to make a potty stop.

Carol Sue- You make me want to go get my bike out of my storage closet back home! I think I will as soon as this trip is over! Maybe I can find a baby carriage to attach on when I get back! Whoo hoo! The most I ever lost was when I was biking everywhere- so why did I ever stop?! All I can say is if you are going to bike a lot- get a good seat! I bought a $15 gel seat an it is amazing!

Alee

Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  3:03:00 PM  Show Profile
Oh man I so agreee on needing a gel seat. It was a bit of a challenge!!! but so fun.
Carol Sue

Go to Top of Page

gateway girl
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Shari
Missouri
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  7:41:17 PM  Show Profile
Ok I think I might need a new scale. The needle hasn't moved. I'm still 157 but I've been drinking water, which BTW I can't stand, not this city water anyway. I've also been walking 2 miles everyday. Something has to be happening!! Why no results at all? I know it's only been 5 days but even a 1/2 pound would tell me I'm doing something right. I know I eat healthy. My DH had a heart attack 10 years ago when he was 42. He has been on a heart healthy diet since and I have learned to eat the same things. Fish, Chicken and Turkey are the only meats, and all other food is low cal and low carb, zero cholesterol. Why do I weigh so much? I just don't get it.

Guardian Angels surround me and keep all enemies from me!
Go to Top of Page

Sarah Blue
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

USA
172 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  09:50:02 AM  Show Profile
Hang in there, Shari. It sounds like you're doing a terrific job. Five days isn't very long to see measurable results. Maybe wait a week or so before weighting yourself, and be sure to do it in the morning :) In the meantime, I bet your body is thanking you for all that exercise and healthy eating. (I agree. City water = yuck)

At my weigh in yesterday, I stayed the same - 167. I'm very happy with that since I had a lot of splurges during the week and didn't exercise AT ALL. This week I'll try to do better. I've noticed that I tend to follow a really good week with a bad one. I'll start by "rewarding" myself for a job well done and then one thing just leads to another! For me, weekends are the hardest.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Monday Morning Weigh-In Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page