TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2020 :  10:41:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My right hand is swelling because a yellow jacket stung me while ago. Ice and anti itch cream...but it hurts...three days of swelling ahead.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1276 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1276 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2020 :  12:01:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have any antihistamines like Benadryl around you can take?

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2020 :  12:54:17 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I'm sure Miss Ditzy New Realtor (by the way, she is a typical blonde) would not be doing cleanup. The other thing is that she and her husband are not going to live at the house - their young 20s son is. The husband is a contractor (of some kind), the house was put in his (or one of his) business names, he told his son to "tell Joe (one of his employees) what you want him to do in the dining room." He is a musician of some kind, and I hope he is not going to have jam sessions that will bother my neighbors - one has horses, one has a 4-YO, one has cows, and the other elderly neighbor has a dog. They also asked to have the horses stay there - I gave him the owner's phone number, but don't know if he has called yet. Oh, well - not my problem; but I liked my neighbors and hope they aren't bothered. I'm going to ask one of them to keep me posted on goings on. LOL! My older neighbor said she is staying home, like everyone else, and knows everything going on around her, so she will be nosy and keep tabs. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2020 :  1:17:07 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good news, Marlee - good luck with your new knee when it happens.

Winnie - Hugs and prayers for a quick recovery for your toe. I haven't ever broken a toe, but have kicked several pieces of furniture over the years.

So - Before Ed left today the new owners showed up and said they wanted us to bring back the clothesline, which is a $40 umbrella style clothesline. It wasn't permanently in the ground (it was held in with a t-post attached to a pvc pipe with zip ties). There was not even a hole in the ground except for the t-post!!! I told Ed that was fine - if they use it their clothes will be filthy, because the line was so dirty that I was going to change the clothesline out to new. I sure hope this is not going to be an ongoing ordeal.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2020 :  2:10:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, Once you've gone to closing you're done and done. Don't let them bring all this to stress you.
BTW, "typical" blondes don't act that way. She is just an inexperienced realtor and I use the term realtor loosely in her case. I hope you can get on with things and enjoy your new home. I also hope they will be good neighbors to your neighbors.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2020 :  2:11:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, antihistamines will help tremendously with the pain and swelling if you can take them.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2020 :  3:23:32 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My realtor has been so great - she was a blessing. I would hated to have gone through this without her.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2020 :  3:35:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, I'm glad you got a real good realtor. That is important because some of them really try to get them sold for you and they know how to handle people. We have had a couple that were not that way so when our contract was up we found a new one.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2020 :  4:14:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes last summer we could very loud band music coming from a new home over on the highway...two miles away! Thank goodness they stopped the madness at midnight. I can not type left handed.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Jun 27 2020 10:30:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2020 :  09:38:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, we didn't work on the shed and now it's just too hot. We did however get some long needed painting in the house done. Little by little.
We purchased a new bed on Friday to be delivered Friday. Gave me the motivation I needed to go through things in the bedroom to declutter. There was still a box of dad's that I kept putting off. Finally went through it and got things straightened out. So now the clutter is gone they can set it up with ease. I may endeavor to get the carpet cleaned before Friday.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2020 :  09:50:38 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I hope you have better luck with your bed delivery than we did and are having. We ordered a complete 7 piece bedroom set, and the 2 largest pieces - triple dresser and mens chest - came damaged - 3 times so far. 4th and last delivery is now July 28 (it needs to arrive from overseas). The third delivery the chest was finally okay, but not the dresser. If this dresser is not perfect, then all is going back for a refund.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2020 :  10:42:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda,
So sorry you've had so much trouble. I know it can be so frustrating. We bought our bedroom set from a Mennonite company in Lancaster and I was worried something would be damaged. But it made it and there wasn't so much as a scratch. The bed is a sleep number. My chiropractor recommended it and we finally decided to take the plunge. They were having a good sale and the one we got has great reviews for helping sciatica issues. Something I have been dealing with everyday for a few years now. I hope your set comes quickly together and undamaged.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2020 :  10:57:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, my son and his family have Amish/Mennonite furniture. They ordered it and had to wait several months for it to be built. Their new home was ready Dec 1...16 years ago. But it was one week before Christmas when the
Mennonite men arrived with a truck filled with their order. Each and every piece was wrapped in moving quilts, tied on. Quality! I was impressed.

Linda how large is your bedroom? I'm wondering how you can get 7 pieces of furniture in there.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2020 :  12:59:02 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It is pretty large, but - LOL! - the triple dresser is considered 3 pieces because of the marble top that comes separately and the mirror. So the pieces are the bed, 2 nightstands, media chest (like a mans chest), triple dresser (3 pieces).

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2020 :  1:30:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son bought a king sized bed, two night stands,a huge dresser with a mirror and a tv cabinet. The dresser was really too big, but those little guys changed its spot and it fits without a breath to spare. One night stand did not fit. Their room is 20' x 25' so it is big but they have three doors.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2020 :  1:36:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a canopy bed with no canopy made for it but eventually we may get it. Our room is not really high enough to have canopy. I have a triple dresser with mirror, JT has a tall dresser and we have two nightstands with a drawer and two doors. I have my grandmother's cedar chest and cedar closet as well as JT's great grandmother's desk, and a chair that belonged to my grandfather all in our room. We have a walk-in closet which is nice. I never realized how big our room is.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jun 27 2020 1:37:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2020 :  1:38:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The other two bedrooms ate up stairs. One is almost as large as their room. It has a beautiful canopy bed, night stands and a big dresser. The other one has a bed. One night stand fits, and a dresser. Plus tons of crafting stuff. If has a closet which the other two don't have. But don't freak out, because both upstairs rooms have attic spaces...nice and roomy. In fact the one with the canopy bed has two attic spaces. The master has a huge closet as part of the bathroom set up.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2020 :  1:44:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are many houses that don't have closets. Especially if it is an older house. Before the builder came in and redid this place the old part of the house you can tell one of the room's closet was a bathroom. They came in, added a bigger bathroom and made part of the old one a closet for the bedroom. They just put up a wall on the back and put a door where there was a wall. So now each room has a closet. We added three rooms to the back of the house but only the downstairs.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2020 :  1:53:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well the canopy bed was for Bay. So they started with the netting canopy. After a few years she decided to go bohemian. So I helped her Rip fabric strips, cut my lace (yardage)collection up. I sewed all of those strips of stuff to a long piece that went completely around the top of the canopy. We added Velcro to wrap around that top rail and hold her new curtain in place.The things we do as grandma's. I had done a canopy bed set up for a fellow teacher...and Bay tagged along when I was putting it all together.. She was about three...but I guess she remembered. The thing I liked about the bedroom I did for the teacher was the puffy Roman shades I made for her French doors. She chose her decorator fabrics, and I cut and sewed, it was fun.
One more thing...she had a very high ceiling. Their house is 23' from the floor downstairs to the laminated beam. So her ceiling is about 15' high.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Jun 27 2020 1:57:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1276 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1276 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2020 :  6:28:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Closets are the norm here now but in England and other countries wardrobe cabinets or armoires are their closets. Two of the rooms in my house have built in closets but in one room, our bedroom, the closet is an add on in one corner. My dresser is a 1920 buffet and the bed is a 1880s gothic revival. I guess you could say I have eclectic taste. Or maybe flea market style.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2706 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2706 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2020 :  6:38:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have always wanted a canopy bed! I couldn't get Brad talked into one. He wanted to know why you'd want curtains and a top over you at night??? haha

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2020 :  7:31:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie...men!
Judith. I like your style. My iron bed stead is from Grandmas house. It was in her front bedroom. It is chipped white...but I have repainted it over the years. I love it. At one time it had copper balls on each post, but when her kids were little about 1915 one ball was lost. Her solution was to take a hack saw and cut off all four of the all threads so her little ones would not get hurt. It is still a very pretty bed.
My dresser is a covered wagon piece from my first brother in law. ( I have had three for my one sister.) We only had him for 4 years...but we have his little boy cowboy dresser. I also have my grandma's trunk. It still has canvas over part of it and is stamped with a name...not grandma's.
In my back room is my mother's child hood dresser. She remembered putting her gown in it each morning at age 3. I have the mirror frame which has been empty for as long as I can remember. My uncle was a very good wood worker. I have a chest of drawers that he built for my aunt. It is almost 100 years old but better built than any thing I've seen in modern furniture. Bay recently took the small sturdy sofa or library table that he built. She needed a desk to put her lap top and papers on so she can do her class work.
I'm so happy to read that our styles are vintage....i also have a milk cupboard, jelly cabinet, Hoosier cabinet, chiff robe, and dry sink..
All flea market finds. I also have my grandma's buffet and my mother's as well.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2020 :  03:05:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, it is nice when we can have so many pieces around us that belonged to family. I also have my grandmother's rocking chair from when she was a child. The chair from my grandfather and her little rocker are both caned pieces. We have JT's maternal grandfather's trunk. It is in the garage and needs refurbished a little bit. I have my mother's desk and her Singer sewing machine. In our guest room I have my grandparent's bedroom set. The only piece of that I don't have is her vanity. I used to have it in my bedroom when I lived at home but I don't know what my parents did with it when they moved. When we came back from Hawaii we got the set minus the vanity. I have my dad's armoire as well as my mom's hutch and a small antique phone table from my parents. Believe it or not we do have things of our own. Lol. But i love having these things from all our family.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2020 :  04:28:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once while I was teaching we were invited you stop by and see a co-worker's brand new home. It was beautiful...but as we toured there was nothing personal. Every thing was brand new. And there was no extra space left for anything vintage. I felt sad for her.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2020 :  04:58:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did she like her new home Marilyn? Some people do not care for the old. They like to make the new things become their own. We have a mix really. I have a Hoosier JT bought me for our anniversary one year and another time while visiting our Ohio family he took me antiquing with the sole purpose of buying one of those cabinets that have glass all on the front and sides and it is rounded on the sides. It holds all my little curiosities that I have been gifted or collected myself. Some of my mom's curios are in a small glass front curio. It hangs on the wall next to our bookshelves in the library. On the top shelf of that set of shelves are pictures of my paternal grandparents engagement, my parents wedding, my maternal grandmother and great grandmother and my mother's graduation picture. So as you can see I am all about those who came before me. It's not a shrine just a grouping of the women who made our families what they were/are.
I love my family history and the people in it. I am hoping at least one of my children does too.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jun 28 2020 04:59:45 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Jumping into June~2020 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page