Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 June 2019~ In the good ol' summertime
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic June 2019~ In the good ol' summertime Next Topic
Page: of 6

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2019 :  8:15:03 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We love As Time Goes By - and several other British shows, too.

I like liverwurst/brunschweiger sandwiches - is that like liver loaf?

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2019 :  9:30:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My daughter in law said that as a child her mom made them cucumber and grape jelly sandwiches...seems like she buttered one slice of bread and spread grape jelly on the other...Then cucumbers in the middle. I had never heard of it.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2019 :  9:35:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our neighbor has been cutting hay all day long and is still over there...tractor making tractor noise.His place is on a down slope, more than ours. His fields drain into our road and the creek.
Our road now has big holes where the kaliche has been swept away by rushing water. I guess his fields are not standing in water like ours.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2019 :  06:51:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think my favorite sandwiches are a real BLT. Growing up, I remember we would have them when Mom's tomatoes were ripe and bacon was on sale. On WHITE BREAD, of course!! LOL!! You have to eat them when they are just made so that the bacon is warm and crispy. Yum!!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2019 :  07:02:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Linda it's the same thing. When growing up we bought the liver loaf from a little store down the road from us who also sold minnows to fishermen. They cut how many slices we wanted from a loaf. Didn't sell by the lb but by the slice. Outside by the minnow tanks was one of those red Coke iceboxes that held ice. Coldest cokes were always out of one of those iceboxes.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2019 :  11:27:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they ate turning red! Small but smell like a Tomato!!
Connie
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2019 :  2:15:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine are just green. Yours are beautiful!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2019 :  2:26:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, when I arrived at Tarleton State College in Sept. Of 1961 it did not take long to figure out that Dr. Pepper was KING! Of course being only 12 miles from the little bottling plant made it so! Back to my college story...We quickly learned what "MAN IN THE HALL" meant...the Dr. Pepper man was refilling the machine. We drank one almost every day because the machine would slush them. They were devine!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2019 :  09:57:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, I grew up going to a store that cut by the slice too and the same drink box. Ice cold! Ski, Dr. Pepper, coke! Many more. I still remember the hardwood floors and advertising signs hanging from the ceiling and the fans! I have a lesser known one hanging from my kitchen fan. The Coke and Dr. Pepper ones are expensive if you can find one that survived.

Connie
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6074 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6074 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2019 :  11:35:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was a sunset taken on Monday over the ocean.
It was bright and beautiful, We appreciate it when we get these.
Happy Day Ladies.
Love you all
darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2019 :  11:36:49 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Our moon was beautiful, too. Ed took some pictures and posted on FB. I'll try to download and post here.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2019 :  12:35:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, yes anything Dr. Pepper related is expensive. My friends hubby was a basketball coach, until their eldest got to jr. Hi, then he became the high school history teacher, so they could both go to kids games. Anyway he began collecting Dr. Pepper memorabilia at some point. She finally moved his collection upstairs because it was consuming the downstairs. Then he retired and began collecting bricks! He is now diabetic and had to cut way down on his consumption of Dr. P! When those American Picker guys came to this area, they were given a tour of the plant...just like every pre schooler in the county and their teachers. Then they got to go into a building somewhere in Dublin, that is the storage place for all things dr.p related...stashed there years ago by the original man who owned that little plant. So sad what the big drink company did to Dublin and that little plant. But you know what they are still there. The town and Dr. Pepper plant had to reinvent themselves. God is good!

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Jun 19 2019 12:37:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2019 :  1:03:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, I saw that episode of American Pickers! Is that close to you? They bought fan pulls from him. They paid him 50.00 for one! I would love to go there. I watched that show again. I love American Pickers!!!

Darlene!! Breathtaking picture!! Im glad I saw the moon the night before. Cause it was cloudy the night it was full!!

Connie

Edited by - Killarney on Jun 19 2019 1:05:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
871 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2019 :  7:16:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise I am so sorry for the loss of your friend.

Hugs Marlee

Hugs: Heavens Ultimate Good Sign

OCD: Overly Cute Disposition

Farmgirls: Sisters from Different Gardens
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
871 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2019 :  7:18:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn I love friend potatoes with ketchup. Now my mouth is watering. If it wasn't so late. I would fry some. Yum.

Hugs Marlee

Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
871 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2019 :  7:28:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think we are making each other hungry. LOL.

Thank you all for the prayers for my Aunt. Since getting the tube, she hasn't lost any more weight. Which is good.
My Aunt was an adventurous lady. Been around the world. Hiking in Africa just 3 years ago. So with this Als diagnoses we were surprised. She is 76. But I know she would want me to Thank each of you for the prayers. So Thank you all.

Hugs Marlee

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2019 :  04:50:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, she was hiking in Africa at age 73! She is amazing! I never dreamed people were diagnosed with ALS when in their 70s. I guess I thought it was found when they were in their 40s and 50s. She has been blessed with a lot of good years.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2019 :  05:08:21 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We've been to the Dr. P plant, and the museum, in Dublin. Lots of memorabilia. Yes, the original Dr. P cane sugar bottling company in Dublin is there - they are no longer allowed to make it the original way, however, which is sad.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2019 :  06:00:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, I love that vintage Dr. Pepper sign! Growing up, we never had sodas much because my parents said they were bad for our teeth and with a big family, they were expensive to have enough for everyone all the time. However, when I did have a chance to use money from my allowance, I always went for an orange crush. Maybe it was that I also loved orange creamsicles too? Anyone els love orange crush?

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6074 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6074 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2019 :  08:15:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be fun to tour the bottling plant, when I lived in Colorado I went to the Coors plant pretty interesting and huge! The Spring water was really good!

When I came here I moved to a little community across the bay. A tortilla plant opened up there, Bien Padre, those tortillas were so fresh and yummy! They later moved to a bigger place.
They closed their plant last year, They were in business about 40 years. Too much competition, I think. That was neat though.
Hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2019 :  8:56:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie yes I love orange crush! When I was nine and we came home from our fishing trip to find our country home burned down...we had to learn to live in town. By the time I was 12, my little sister and brother and I would go on scavenger hunts around the neighborhood. Pop bottles were the treasure we sought. When we had enough bottles gathered up to get three drinks plus 3 packages of kits, then mother let us walk up the street a couple of blocks to the little neighborhood store for our icy cold rewards.sweet memories!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2019 :  8:59:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wern't we blessed to grow up in a time where kids could play outside for hours, walk to the neighborhood store, walk to church and walk home in the dark. We were never scared! No one ever bothered us. Praise God!

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Jun 20 2019 9:00:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2019 :  05:33:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All the talk on Coke and other sodas got me thinking. I remember walking to the store for a carton of 8oz Cokes. Best Coke ever made was the original 8oz in refundable bottles. A carton was .30 if you had your bottles. Also liked 8oz Grapette and the larger RC.

One thing about those refundable bottles we didn't see our roads littered with throwaway paper cups. If someone did toss a bottle there was someone there to pick it up. I'm always picking up fast food trash in front of my house. Walkers & drivers are guilty of it.

While I'm on my little rant two of my neighbors will walk right pass the shopper in their driveway and not pick it up. They will get around to it after a half dozen or so pile up in their yard. Okay, I'll get down off my soap box and say something nice before I post.

Betty and I are going to an estate this morning.

Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6074 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6074 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2019 :  07:44:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We were very lucky to grow up then we could play by the creek and not worry! Was so nice!
Have a good day everyone!

Hugs
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Edited by - darlenelovesart on Jun 21 2019 07:48:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2019 :  10:44:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back from estate sale and rested up. Found 3 aprons for $1 each. A red, white, & blue ruffled half apron from Hobby Lobby. After it is washed and ironed I will hang it at front door for 4th of July décor.

A brown & fall print reversible half apron. Pockets on each side. A calico bib apron which I will wear.

After the estate sale we ate at Braums and I had their special. Hamburger patty on Hawaiian bun with Bar-B- Q sauce; bacon; pepperjack cheese; L&T - I cut the onion. A very tasty sandwich.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Project Discussions: Previous Topic June 2019~ In the good ol' summertime Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page