Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 June Topic: Finding Balance in Life
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic June Topic: Finding Balance in Life Next Topic  

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2019 :  11:50:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The learning topic this month of June is Finding Balance in our Life. Thank-you Sara for suggesting the topic to me this morning. Sara had been listening to Joyce Meyer reflect on the subject and brought up the fact that we all look for ways to keep an even keel. Let's face it, life can be challenging in the 21st Century!!

Because I am a history lover and was a registered nurse for 34 years, I decided to look up some history of what many of us grew up learning about staying well. To get me started I reviewed this great little book I found in an antique store about 4 years ago titled:Primer of Hygiene. It was first published in 1910 in the United States and it's purpose was to have a text that teachers could use in teaching health to students in the public schools. Keep in mind that these concepts were written by the editor and joint author of the New World Health Series. I also noted to self that these were the same concepts that would have been taught in nursing schools as well. This body of knowledge would have also been the foundation of nursing care for World War I. What is amazing here, is that everything they say still applies.This suggests that the understanding of health has been a topic of importance to be part of everyone's school learning. In 1910, this Primer was to help create a healthier and happier life for everyone.

History also tells us that Leonardo da Vinci was dissecting cadavers to learn about the anatomy of the human body. Ancient cultures in Persia, Egypt and other areas had important medical understandings of health and medical treatment as early as the 700-800s AD. The Chinese had been practicing herbal medicines and acupuncture in the BC eras. Everyone of these practices built the body of knowledge on what to do and how to deal with disease and health. Life balance and healthy living has been on the minds of mankind for centuries.

The first page of the book has a drawing of children dancing around a tree with the quote:"When we have health we find the world a beautiful place in which to live." Who can argue that one?? While there are many sections of discussion and a few basic drawings of the skeleton and internal organs, there are 7 "Great Laws of health and strength".
1. The body must have a proper supply of food.
2. Get plenty of fresh air
3. Get rid of poisonous wastes (I interpret that to be keeping regular bladder and bowel habits)
4.Protect from being either too cold or too hot
5. Keep body free of pain and the mind not disturbed by constant fretting, anxiety, or care.
6. Body needs exercise, rest, and sleep
7. Disease germs must not be allowed to get into the body and poison it. Keep in mind, antibiotics were not available and vaccines had not been developed either. So keeping away from sick children and families during outbreaks and drinking safe water were key in avoiding things like flu, smallpox, measles, polio, typhoid fever, and diphtheria. All killers to many especially children and older people or anyone with a weak immune system.

This book does not address anything about religion, but rather sticks with the most recent understandings of science and medicine. But I cannot argue about the wisdom that the seven precepts put forward. Today, we know so much more about how diseases spread and we have life saving vaccines and medications to help us stay healthy. We have much to help us, including mental health counseling, many Pharmaceuticals, dietary support for diseases such as Kidney failure, Crohns, heart disease, and life saving safe surgery. We have important labeling of foods, prescriptions, and household products that help us make decisions about what to know before we eat something or use in our houses or yards. It is incredible how much extra support we all have in our everyday lives to be healthier.

Today, finding the balance in one's life is a constant learning and trying out process to find what actually works for us as individuals. The use of prayer, meditation, reading, counseling, and good medical supervision can also help us navigate the stormy waters we sometimes find ourselves in. Life gets complicated and we can all be thankful for the communities of friends
and professionals that are able to help us.

In re-reading this little book today, I was reminded that so much of the basics of health are in our own hands and habits. We can choose to make changes if we find we are headed in the wrong direction. We have so many more supports to help us that are easily found on the internet and within our medical and spiritual communities.

For me, I am always pushing back on my inclination to get ahead of myself and pile too much on my plate. It has been a lifelong journey in keeping it simple! I think MaryJane'sFarm has actually been one of the key learning experiences I have had since December 2009. Getting back to the habits that served generations well before me has been a challenge in today's fast paced world. I stand out as very "old fashioned" which I might add is a badge of honor when someone says that!! LOL!!

This topic for June I think adds on to many of the ideas and suggestions we have already discussed this year. But I know many of you have great suggestions and thoughts on the subject too. Let's all share some of our basics and why and how they have made us healthier and more balanced in our lives. We can all learn something new from each other!

Let's get started!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2703 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2703 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2019 :  5:14:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting, Winnie!
I find that the older I get, the more I want to simplify. I see younger people just rushing all of the time, trying to pack in so many activities, dragging their children here and there...I probably seem like an old, boring woman to them...and you know what??? I don't care!!! I love the peaceful, simple life! If I can get up, get some exercise in, take care of what the house needs, fix a couple of healthy meals and enjoy something that I like to do for a bit during the day, maybe spend some time with the family....I call it a full and good day!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2019 :  04:48:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Winnie for posting this topic. Your 7 points will help us live a better and balanced life. I also like how our monthly topics spill over into other topics reminding us and re-enforcing what we know.

Debbie like you I need less to do and more time to do it.

I find I need - crave - quiet time. In the mornings before the TV is turned on and I can hear the birds singing outside my window I am surrounded by peace. Peace for my body and soul is very important to me. I can't function well in my daily life without peace. And to have the peace I want/need my life has to be in balance.

Spending time with the Lord brings peace and balance to all areas of my life. My day goes a lot smoother when He is with me along the way.

Quiet time - Busy time

Sowing - Reaping

Alone time - In company of others

I can't have peace or balance with a lot of clutter around me. A messy kitchen table for a short time as I work on an project is one thing; but if it drags on and on I have to clean the table off and see bare wood for awhile before I mess it up again.

There are other ways I need peace and balance in my life and during the month I hope to write a little on the ones I have noted and may add to them. Looking forward to learning how all of you keep a balanced and peaceful life.

One last thought. Like everything else in our lives having peace and balance is a choice and will require work on our part.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2019 :  12:56:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank-you Debbie and Sara for sharing how you find daily balance. It is true that we all know and value what keeps us feeling positive and at peace. The challenge is making that a priority! Or at least it can be a challenge for me!! LOL!! Debbie, I agree with you that age also brings a discernment as to what is needless "noise" in our lives and we often choose to change our living patterns. It is always a matter of perspective, I think. Age does bring wisdom and strength to say no to things when we need to. This has been one of the huge blessings of retirement for me. Work life and raising a family really had me running, running, running all the time. It wasn't evident to me all those years as clearly as it is now. I enjoy having a more relaxed lifestyle in this phase of my life.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
871 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2019 :  07:28:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone. I definitely need to read about this topic. My life is in total chaos. I am stretching myself thin. Beside my knees killing me with Arthritis which if any of you have advice I would gladly appreciate it. My aunt that has ALS, and know they put a small stomach tube in. And she gets nutritional supplement. She is going down so fast. I try to go see her as often as I can. My hubby is doing ok. So I am happy about that. So I am turning to my sisters on here. So I want to read what everyone else is doing to get a better balance of life.
Luv you all much.

Marlee

Hugs: Heavens Ultimate Good Sign

OCD: Overly Cute Disposition

Farmgirls: Sisters from Different Gardens
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2019 :  07:49:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marlee I am so sorry to hear about what all is going on in your life. Prayers for healing and comfort.

During these times of trials I want you to know Marlee its only natural to feel overwhelmed. Keep in mind this too shall pass and to carve out time for yourself during your busy day. A time to just sit and do nothing or to work on something that brings you joy.

Women sometimes have a hard time being good to ourselves as we are caring for others.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9522 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9522 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2019 :  08:04:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marlee, I am emailing you.

Sara has given good advice.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
871 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2019 :  08:29:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara and Denise thank you....
Hugs Marlee

Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2703 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2703 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2019 :  09:35:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marlee, I'm so sorry! Sometimes it seems like when it rains, it pours...
I have found that I do better if I am able to have a little quiet time to myself each day. It helps me keep my head clear. I like to walk in the morning, either outside or on my treadmill. I usually pray while I'm walking. When I get done, I feel much peace and ready to start my day.
It's hard to take time for ourselves when we are doing so much for others. It's easy to get burned out. You can take better care of others if you can take care of yourself, as well.
Keeping you and your aunt in my prayers!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2019 :  11:24:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marlee, take care of you. Prayers for you and your aunt.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2019 :  1:43:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, Thanks for all this great information! Every year, I can't do what I did the last year. MS related. Being organized and keeping things simple help! I am trying to eat healthier!!!
Marlee, I am going to try the Hemp oil for my knee pains if my Dr. Approves it. I see her June 11th. Many have said it helps. I think Marilyn said she is taking it.

Connie
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2019 :  7:38:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie I was reading today and cannabis oil helps with MS symptoms. It is good for whatever ails a person. Green Roads brand is the best. I'm taking Lazarus Naturals. My son found it for me. He said next to Green Roads, which he takes...it is next best. Getting the dosage right for you is your personal experiment. Some folks only need a few drops. I need a good bit. My son takes less cbc oil than I take but his is a lot stronger. He has no pain in his knees when he takes some in the morning and some before bed time. You will sleep like a baby. It helps with head aches, inflammation etc. Too!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2019 :  10:33:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is interesting to hear and learn about the new effective uses of Cannibus these days! I wonder what sort of herbs and plants were in those elixirs that were so common when the health book, I referred to was written in 1910. People were used to using herbal and plants for various problems and many were so effective, they are the foundation of today's Pharmaceutical drugs.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
871 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2019 :  6:30:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for all the thoughts and prayers.
I have started walking a little at a time. And will look into other herbs and other to help.
I have never been this far down physically and I don't like it. So giving you all hugs.
Hugs Marlee

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2019 :  05:38:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess the most known drug used today that came from an American Indian pain remedy - is the aspirin. Indians chewed willow trigs or made a tea for pain. Aspirin is so commonly used now that I doubt we even think about it as being a 'drug' anymore.

Remember when molasses was taken by itself or with herbs as a spring tonic? Today molasses is labeled unsulfured which means at one time it had sulfur in it. In the 1950s-60s sulfur drugs were widely used. I haven't heard about them in years. Was it the sulfur once in molasses that made it a good tonic?

I remember as a young child putting powdered sulfur on my legs to
keep chiggers off. For me it wasn't necessary because I was in my sixties before chiggers, mosquitoes, or poison ivy bothered me.

In Russia thyme is called the Russian penicillin because many don't have access to penicillin and thyme has antibacterial properties. I make a tea to take on the onset of a cold or sore throat with any combination of thyme, rosemary, Greek oregano, sage, and spearmint.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9522 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9522 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2019 :  06:17:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting information. I took a class in herbology many years back. So many remedies and good health can come from plants and herbs but the need to be careful of purity has arisen due to so much being just a money maker and not so pure. I think much of our health can be kept by keeping our kitchen free of too many processed things. Good old whole food seems to appear to be best.
I would say many of our medicines came from all the plants and herbs and such. Many of them are also synthetic and either way it is good to keep everything in perspective especially if you are under doctors care for anything.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jun 09 2019 06:18:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2019 :  11:46:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, I am fascinated with the Russian Penicillin recipe. It is true that herbs have long been used for various ailments when traditional medicines were not available. I think I am going to try your idea next time I get a respiratory virus that threatens to be a bummer. I love all of those herbs anyway and have them on hand for cooking.

Denise, I agree with you that healthy, wholesome real food is an important foundation to all health. Our bodies microorganisms are suited to digest normal foods. But when we get to additives and improper cooking and storage of foods, we work against our natural assets located in our digestive system.

Yes indeed, always be sure to list all non-prescription supplements that you take when you visit a physician and keep an updated copy of your medication list and all supplements with you at all times and make sure that your physicians have access to everything you put in your mouth. We don't necessarily think vitamins and supplements matter when taking a prescription drug, but they can and they can be a dangerous combination depending on what you take.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic June Topic: Finding Balance in Life Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page