Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Learning Together:July Favorites in this Month
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Learning Together:July Favorites in this Month Next Topic
Page: of 2

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2019 :  12:58:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been thinking about lots of ideas for learning together this month, but nothing was standing out. However, I have been talking with a friend about how we all love things about the Summer, and July seems to be when summer celebrating is in full swing. I decided to make this topic about all the many reasons why July is a very important month of the year. I began making list of what I thought and that list was long and exhaustive!

As a result of a rambling list of favorites, several categories stood out. Here are what came to my mind as important reasons July is such a loved and special month.

1. Fourth of July- This celebration of our national independence from Britain in 1776 was a hard fought war. Americans were adamant that they did not want to live under the rule of a King any longer. They valued freedom of religion, freedom to make their own laws , and give every state an equal voice in the decisions that effected every person. The creation of the Constitution, Bill of Rights, and democratic government was hammered out with great passion and work.

Fourth of July celebrations remind me of splendid fireworks put on by city governments , small town parades, picnics in the backyard, and watermelon. Usually July was a warm month and families didn't always have AC. Backyard gatherings were special and the long days promised time after dinner to churn homemade ice cream.

2. July is often a harvest month for many fruits. Peaches, berries of all sorts, cherries, and vegetable garden produce have had kitchens canning up jars of family favorite pickles, jams, jellies, and vegetables. It is also a time to make those veggies relishes which make sandwiches and grilled burgers Summer perfect!

3. Sometimes July are the times for family reunions when people can gather, camp in tents and trailers in yards, and enjoy time together. In my town, we live down the street from a public park and July often is the site of big family gatherings because they can use a picnic table, the kids can enjoy swings, ball fields, and public swimming pools. It is fun to see everyone wearing the T-shirt created for the event too.

4. Family vacations happen all summer long, but July is when the weather is more predictably nice for those mountain and northern states.

5. Evening Porch Sitting--Today, most people prefer staying inside with AC. But, in times past, evenings were a time when neighbors sat outside and visited each other. Today, even in Florida, I try sitting outside after 7pm and read and watch the birds. Mornings are usually much nicer, but July reminds me of lots of porch sitting opportunities.

July is that month that is truly the period devoted to the pursuit of all things summer ,whatever they might be. The heat and humidity forces us to slow down, change up what we cook to eat, and look for ways to stay cool.

Here are a few ideas that also come to mind as activities for July.

1. Canning your favorites to enjoy all next year and share with others.

2. Reading some fun books or whatever topics you enjoy.

3. Putting up an easy and fun jig-saw puzzle for those hot afternoon hours when you need to be inside. Have you ever tried a murder mystery puzzle? I love those because you get to read the story, follow the clues and finally figure out "who done it"!

4. Experiment with light recipes that take advantage of the abundant fresh produce and don't require much use of the stove.

What is special to you about July? What do you love to do every year during this month? How do you embrace the challenges of heat and humidity? IF you have something special planned this year, share it with us.

One of my favorite recipes right now is a blueberry peach cobbler or crisp. These two fruits are in full season way down here and available at grocers and farm stands. We have been invited to a neighborhood picnic on July 4 and I plan to bring this cobbler for my contribution.

Do you have a favorite July recipe? If so, I would love to hear what it is! Also, share with everyone what July means to you and what do you find yourself doing this year?

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9522 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9522 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2019 :  08:00:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie,
this is a great topic and a wonderful month to celebrate and hear what others do this month.

I don't do too much canning anymore but there are things I like to make. I plan to make some blueberry and peach freezer jam. Blueberries are abundant right now and peaches are starting now.

I love reading and this is an excellent time to do it. I especially enjoy it in the long summer evenings.

Jigsaw puzzles are another love. I have never heard of murder mystery puzzles but as I love cozy mysteries I'm sure it would be fun to do them. Where have you found them?

I have always felt that July is really beginning summer for us as our temps warm up. Seems the lakes are being enjoyed more with swimmers, boaters, and skiers. I used to love to water ski when we were young. My grandparents had a marina and we (my brother and I) loved spending our summers there. School didn't end for us up north until the end of June so July was the start when we went to grandma and grandpa's.
Now, I tend to stay in and work on quilts or handwork. I can't say I embrace the heat and humidity too much. If I am out for very long it tires me and I feel terrible.

Winnie, would you share your peach blueberry cobbler recipe on the recipe thread. Going to get my berries and peaches today and would love to make it.

We haven't been invited out and I haven't invited anyone here. JT and I are just going to get some things done around here since he is home today.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jul 04 2019 08:05:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2019 :  08:27:26 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I love jigsaw puzzles. Unfortunately, I end up staying up til the wee hours of the morning trying to get just one or two more pieces in. LOL! I like sewing in the hot weather because sewing and quilting is an indoor sport. LOL! My guild has a July retreat and I may go to it this year if there is an opening, since I didn't sign up soon enough.

I'd love a peach and blueberry cobbler recipe, Winnie.

Ed and I hope to take the motorhome out for some trips this summer and fall. The MH will be going in for some repairs next week - not sure if they will have it 2 weeks or not.

Tonight being the 4th, we may go to my son's house to set off some locally purchased fireworks and watch what we can see in the sky around us.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6074 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6074 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2019 :  08:42:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would love that recipe to Winnie! Sounds delicious.
Ferndale is having its parade today, it is not long but it usually has quite a few entries! Loleta is always entered into it and has a little float in it advertising our Community picnic the next week, they are decorating it as the Teddy bear picnic. The treasurer has an abundance of teddy bears they put on it.
The mystery puzzle sounds fun Winnie!
Well everyone have a fun day!
Blessings
Love
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2019 :  11:43:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The cobbler recipe is made up and here is how I do it. Depending on how much you wish to make, I cut up fresh peaches, skins and all, or a bag of frozen peaches thawed, add at least a cup of fresh blueberries, 1/3 to 1/2 cup sugar, depending on how sweet the fruit is and how much you are actually making, 1-2 Tablespoons of cornstarch(depending on how much fruit you have), about 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Mix all that together and place it in a greased baking dish. Then I make buttermilk biscuits. Depending on how big your cobbler is going to be, it will be either a full batch or a half batch of biscuits. Then I just spoon the biscuits on top of the fruit, sprinkle the biscuits with a little brown sugar, and bake in a 400 degree over until the biscuits are nice and brown. This takes roughly 20 minutes. Take out of oven, cool and serve warm with ice cream, or just plain is delicious too. If you don't want to make biscuits, you could use store bought canned biscuits or top with a sort bought pie crust. Like I said, this recipe just sort of happened a few weeks ago when I had a small amount of fruit that needed using up. Next I used the frozen peaches to see how it worked, and since peaches are ripe and available now, I am using those.

Thank-you Darlene for the cute e-card this morning!!

Here is a little observance I thought about this morning regarding the celebration of July 4 today. While it has long been a Federal Holiday, it used to be that nobody was open on July 4. Stores all closed so that the workers could spend the time with their families. People then went to a big public space where the city did a fireworks show at 9pm. Since my gym was open, I went there and on the way saw so many store parking lots full of cars. Even here in our town in the 1970s and part of the 80s, most stores closed. Not anymore. Same is true about Thanksgiving too. Now it is a full speed discount shopping day! I feel like we lose a bit of meaning in our holidays when the stores keep up business as usual. Do any of you feel the same way??

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9522 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9522 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2019 :  12:49:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the recipe Winnie!

I do agree about the holidays and how things have changed so much.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2019 :  1:27:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Summer is fun in that we have fruit for dessert, every Sunday...and also on week days. We begin with strawberries, then cantaloupe, now watermelons are avaliable. Some times I melt German Sweet Chocolate to dip the strawberries. Since my son and the kids love them so much...they only happen a couple of times each spring. For a large clear carton of berries or two smaller ones, it takes two bars of German chocolate I usually use one sweet and one dark if I can find it. This is the best chocolate I have ever used for this purpose. Don't use chocolate chips. Julie tried that...it was a disaster...so I decided to try the German cho. It is amazing.
I do cut up fruit and freeze it for winter cobblers, like peaches and blackberries (whole).
I once made tons of jelly until I explained to the mr. How much sugar it takes and since we no longer eat breakfast in the mornings, we don't need jars and jars of jelly.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Jul 04 2019 1:29:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2019 :  1:35:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My husband joined the others to watch the parade this morning. I chose to stay at home this year. Then as I was cooking my fresh black eyed peas for lunch, the Washington DC parade came on. Our local parade is way better.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2019 :  5:34:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie. You covered July well! It's always seemed a busy month to me.The heat keeps me inside. I use this time to sew and try to clean out closets and organized for Fall when I can go outside!
Connie
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2019 :  06:06:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
July and summer is special in Minnesota because we have snow and cold so much of the year. I love to see the green everywhere (this year there is a jungle because of all the rain).The flowers are beautiful and the lakes (all 15,000 of them) reflect the blue of the sky. We can wear shorts and go without a jacket. Summer means watermelon, peaches, cherries and other bounty. It is truly a time to count our blessings.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2703 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2703 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2019 :  08:03:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
July is the start of our grass seed harvest. It's probably the busiest, craziest month on the farm with the cutting and combining, plus driving the seed truck to town several times a day. Our county fair is at the end of the month, so that's always fun to decide if I'm going to enter anything and start any baking, etc. for that.
There is a 4th of July parade in town in the morning and then a VERY small parade just 3 miles from our place in a little, local farming ..community...I guess you could call it. They go down the road a ways and then come back...so you get to see the parade twice! All local neighbors, little kids on bikes and horses, it's fun! My 3 young grandsons decorated and rode their bikes this year. There is a fireworks display in town about 10 pm but we didn't stay up this year. We live just across the river from an Indian reservation and they have a huge fireworks show. I couldn't figure out what that weird sound was outside after I had gone to bed and then remembered their fireworks. They really echo through the river canyon and went on for a LONG time!
I just made 3 batches of raspberry freezer jam, my favorite! I left the jars on the kitchen counter for a day or two just because I thought they looked so pretty!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2019 :  2:53:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am enjoying hearing about July 4th and July month celebrations in all the various states where our Farmgirls live. While many are similar, it is also true that traditions have a lot to do with the agricultural activities that go on. Here in Florida, one favorite activity is to rent big inner tubes and float down the Spring rivers. The water is clear and the temp is always a steady 72 degrees. On a miserable hot and humid day, it is a guarantee that you will be nice and cool as you float down the river!! In the north central part of the state where I live, there are many springs and spring fed rivers.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9522 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9522 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2019 :  3:25:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, that sounds like a great way to relax and stay cool!
I have been doing puzzles and reading to relax and stay cool inside.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6074 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6074 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2019 :  5:17:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They had a lot of picnics,and different towns had fireworks on the 3rd and the 4th.

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2019 :  7:59:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie that parade at the little farm community sounds like my kind of parade! What kind of grass seed do you grow and harvest?

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2019 :  8:09:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My daughter in law has a trip planned. She,and Had are taking her mom home to visit. They are renting a vehicle. Julie says her mom does just fine when she takes her away from home. I'm afraid I don't see that, but it is her choice. Her sister can't keep her.
Anyway Julie loves to go home for...the broiler festival, etc. Her childhood home.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Jul 10 2019 8:11:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9522 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9522 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2019 :  03:28:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the County Fair! Does anyone else have theirs in July? We missed ours this year because it was here and gone before we knew. It was the 30th of June to the 6th of July. They don't normally have it that soon. I always love to go to the 4H building and the Arts and Crafts building. The last few years more people have been entering their items in Arts and Crafts.
Always fun to check out the animals and birds. I enjoy seeing the different breeds of chickens, cows and I love to see the horses.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jul 14 2019 03:33:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2019 :  05:51:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So does each county have a fair...for a week?
We have a live stock show with dairy, pigs (that is what our girls showed), sheep and goats, steers and chickens. The arts and crafts is a 4-H thing. Hadlee always entered several items and got ribbons and $. But we don't have a whole week. Our state fair in Dallas lasts longer than a week...perhaps a month...October. Then in Ft. Worth they have the stock show and rodeo for the month of January! My times may be off a day or so.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2019 :  11:25:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie, I love hearing about life on the farm from Farmgirls. Its so exciting to me and I know very hard work. It's the life I wanted. But was not to be.Both my grandparents grew up on farms.
I love county fairs!! We gave a small one at the Argicenter about
15 miles from me. The fair I grew up going to moved after 100 years in the same place to Mississippi! My Great Aunt Mattie akways entered her quilts and other sewing things.
Ours has always been the end of September growing up. Now it starts labor day weekend.
Denise, that's my favorite part the aets and crafts and Food!
Connie

Edited by - Killarney on Jul 14 2019 11:46:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6074 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6074 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2019 :  12:40:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ferndale has the County Fair usually in August, it has changed a lot and gotten smaller but the keep going. The Horse races are what keeps it going, I like the Exhibit building and see where are the crafts cross stitching and quilting is shown. Such beautiful work. They also have the. Earthquake and Tsunami awareness too

Then the business exhibit building is next,
The food is expensive but they do have some different foods which are always gone when I get there. Like Alligator, have t tasted it yet.

It is neat! I watched a alligator show once, those things scare me. I don’t mind the snake exhibit. Love the floral show, and the chickens,bunnies and cows, ah maybe next year.
Have fun!
Hugs Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2019 :  4:02:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darlene, you fair sounds exciting!
Connie!
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6074 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6074 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2019 :  5:41:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It pretty much is!
Thanks!

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9522 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9522 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2019 :  03:44:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie,
The one I grew up going to is still going strong back home. There are two county fairs here that we like to attend and we are on the edge of our county so close to both of them. The second one is the first week of August so I am marking my calendar for that one!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2019 :  05:09:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like old fashioned fun!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2019 :  12:50:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our large county Fair is usually in November when the weather finally gets cooler. The Youth Fair for all the 4-H and FFA student projects happens in either late February or early March when it is still nice and cool for housing all the animals . My daughter used to show goats every year in High School and I always enjoyed the youth fair . Now we usually attend one in early November over in Clay County where she is the judge for the all the goat show classes. My how things have changed!! We go early so we can see all the projects and animals which is always fun. Because it is Fall, it is also very festive which I love.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2019 :  12:57:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love autumn! Sounds delightful, Winnie!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Learning Together:July Favorites in this Month Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page