Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Learning Together : Healthy Eating for Life
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Learning Together : Healthy Eating for Life Next Topic
Page: of 6

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2019 :  7:45:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So true Sara! So true. If you feel weak...sit and drink a cup of tea or???

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2019 :  02:37:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Making a lite-soup with fresh & dried mushrooms, leeks, garlic, green garlic tops, fresh parsley, and a dash of single malt Irish whiskey. Debating on whether to add one carrot or not.

Menu for today.
Breakfast: Hot tea - 1 hard boil egg 75 cal - 1 c Swiss Chard - 30 cal

Lunch: 1 c Soup - 50-100 (appox) cal - 4 oz glass of Merlot 100 cal

Supper: 1 hard boil egg 75 cal - 1 cup beets -68 cal - glass of Merlot - 100 Cal

Tea during the day - roughly 600 cal for the day

I have problems digesting food so a couple glasses of red wine during the day helps.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9522 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9522 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2019 :  04:49:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carrots are a good diuretic and have fiber. Adding could only be a plus, Sara.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2019 :  04:51:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, I hope your day goes well. I think you can do it.
I think your digestive aid sounds better than mine...candied ginger.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2019 :  05:04:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Denise I didn't know that about carrots. I did add 1 1/2 carrots - Annie got the other 1/2. Soup is in slowcooker and should be ready by lunch.

Marilyn, I drink Merlot for two reasons - one because it's my favorite wine - second it's supposed to be the best wine for health benefits. For years now I haven't drank wine or had caffeine after 5 p.m. Most days I don't have caffeine after I finish morning tea.

My sister puts candied ginger in her hot tea when her tummy is upset.

I am so glad this topic is here when we want or need it. Thanks Winnie for starting it.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2019 :  09:59:42 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Adding Merlot - Hmmmmmmmm sounds wonderful!

Love all these comments. I need to add a few of the helpful hints. I need to lose 20-25 pounds, and Ed need to lose 15. Hopefully together we can help each other - However, Ed LOVES ice cream, and tempts me all the time.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2703 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2703 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2019 :  10:03:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm just sitting down to read the fasting article. I know if I eat less than 1200 calories a day I am cranky and my family doesn't like me very much! Haha. Let us know how your day goes, Sara.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2019 :  10:21:09 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My doctor suggested the 5:2 diet to me a few months ago. It is not easy to stay low on calories those 2 days. I try to eat fewer carbs. And eating more fiber is supposed to help in dieting.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2019 :  10:21:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reporting in. So far so good. Staying on track. Supper to go. I may add a 5.5 oz can of tomato juice around 2 p.m. if I need to.

Been up since 4 a.m. and I have worked on story and did a little wool applique; mopped L.R. & my Bedroom; and washed a load of clothes so I am glad I did the semi-fasting on a good day. Next day may be Thurs. If I am not having a good day on Thurs I may add a couple hundred calories.

Eating smaller portions and stopping when I feel full for the last couple of months has helped me to do the semi-fast. Don't know if I could do it the way I used to eat.

Debbie my sister, Bobbie, said she wanted to read the article on fasting so I copied it for her. If she does it she will do 1000 calories. She has to eat every two hours or she gets weak and feels sick.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2019 :  10:24:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda glad to hear your doctor approves the 5:2 semi-fast.

Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2703 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2703 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2019 :  10:27:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds like fasting has some definite benefits. I am not a big eater in the evening but I am going to start doing the 13 hr fasting from my evening meal to breakfast. Then I will see where it goes.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2019 :  10:30:20 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The 13-hour fast is also the easiest for me. We almost do that now.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2703 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2703 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2019 :  10:32:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So do we. I was glad to read it was a good thing! We've always had our main meal at noon and then something smaller in the evening. Gives you a chance to burn the calories off during the day and you sleep much better.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2019 :  10:38:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie I think you will find the 13 hr fast doable. For years I have eaten an early supper - 3 p.m. - 5 p.m. and a couple of crackers around 7 p.m. if I feel hungry. I do it because my body works better if there are more than two hours between eating and sleeping. Even on nights when I am up and down I don't eat - only iced water or occasional cup of tea.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9522 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9522 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2019 :  10:46:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Enjoying reading all this info you all are sharing. I have trouble fasting but this might be doable for me.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2019 :  4:53:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would add that fasting is certainly not for everyone. Severe restriction of calories can potentially have some unwanted side effects such as lack of energy, light headedness or blood sugar issues( if you are diabetic). Diets that limit calories under 1000 a day are not recommended for any length of time unless a physician has given you instructions on what to do. I think most physicians would recommend MOVING MORE and eating healthy foods with smaller portions as the best and safest way to lose weight. If you think about it, you cannot sustain a diet that restricts normal intake for the rest of your life. Most people eventually give it up as they find it too hard and boring to keep doing. Then they often gain all the weight back. The goal is a life style change and fasting just doesn't appeal for the long haul. If you think about your day, remember that a healthy intake is a balance of at least 5 fruits/vegetable servings, some form of low fat protein such as fish, meat or legumes/beans, high fiber carbs like whole wheat, brown rice, and some sort of dairy or dairy substitute. What you eat should give you energy, satisfy your hunger, and keep your system humming along. Losing weight is easier if you add exercise of some kind into every day . You don't have to do anything radical, just move more as you are able. Stationary bicycle, treadmill, or just walking for 10-15 minutes a day in your neighborhood is helpful. Anything that you add, which you are currently not doing, will help. There are also some good chair exercises that help maintain your range of motion of arms and neck. You can look up some on Google, put on some music on the radio, and do some easy moving while sitting in a chair. If you have been sedentary, you would be surprised how just getting some easy moving routines will help you feel better and shed some pounds.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2019 :  5:41:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess I'm odd but if my tummy is empty I cannot sleep. I usually get a spoon of peanut butter, about a tablespoon. That helps me sleep.
Now let me tell you that I detest Brussels sprouts! I have cooked them in a pan, sister them and roasted them and made a spicy sauce for those little cabbages, but Sunday when I roasted them With new potatoes, and butternut squash... I told my fami!y that I will fix them because they enjoy them...but I just dont. I enjoy cabbage but not the baby ones.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2019 :  7:07:34 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I love brussels sprouts, broccoli, and all that.
Winnie - My doctor suggested the 5:2 diet/fast as a way to lose weight. You only do it 2 days a week and not consecutive days.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2019 :  7:41:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have broth or teas or something to drink throughout the day?
When I had my cancer surgery, I could not have anything after midnight for my 11am surgery, which did not even get started until after 3pm. No iv, nothing because the nurses gave up, piled the stuff on top of my blankets and sent me to surgery, where they were able to insert the iv line so I could have iv fluids.
That taught me that being hungry is triggered, by things other than my tummy growling, and if I prepare mentally, I can go without food for a while...well 15 hours. How did Jesus do it to 40 days???

When I was young I drank chicken bullion. Now I find it too salty.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2019 :  8:14:48 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
you are supposed to keep hydrated - you can drink lots of water, tea, etc.
When I had to eat only jello and clear fluids before my colonoscopy, it was not hard at all. Why can't I do that and just eat a little when dieting? LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2019 :  04:14:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I made it through yesterday but did add the tomato juice mid afternoon and 1 more egg for supper so my total calories was 700. I'm glad I did it because it helped me to re-focus on how I want to eat for the rest of my life.

Planning on doing it again tomorrow. This time I will give more thought to planning menus. Yesterday I just ate what was in the fridge. To make it part of my new life style I'm upping the calories to 600-800. It'll be adjusted to my needs 2:5 diet.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2019 :  06:01:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm glad you made it and your additions are sensible.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2019 :  06:03:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, I totally understand.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2019 :  06:08:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I made some red velvet bread on Saturday. Coconut flour, tapioca flour, cocoa and red beets etc. It is pretty good. My husband is leary and asked if it was chocolate cake...So today I need to make him a chocolate cake, no icing. We shall see if I get it done.
Coconut flour has a strange texture...gritty!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2019 :  06:10:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Marilyn.

Linda I hope you and Ed come up with just the right plan that works for the both of you.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Learning Together : Healthy Eating for Life Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page