Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Learning Together : Healthy Eating for Life
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Learning Together : Healthy Eating for Life Next Topic
Page: of 6

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6074 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6074 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2019 :  12:09:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was very interesting , thank you everyone!

I didn’t know a lot of this.
Have a wonderful Wednesday!

Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2019 :  12:26:12 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good for you, Sara - yesterday I stayed under around 800 calories, which is great for me! LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2019 :  12:55:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good for you Linda!!! I think 800 is a good number we can manage. Like I said before I don't want to take it off too fast and have all my wrinkles run together. lol

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2019 :  06:40:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 2 of 2:5 semi-fast diet. Counted calories and planned today's menus yesterday. Gotta have a plan.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2019 :  07:23:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who has their plan and doing more exercise daily??? Who is making exercise, of whatever you are able to do, as much a focus as calorie counting? Let me add that no weight number will make you healthy if you are not challenging your cardiovascular system daily. If your think of your heart/lungs as a car engine, you need to run it regularly to keep it functioning at high levels. Stationary engines suffer , and so will your cardiovascular system as well. We need to get our heart rates up and our lungs breathing fully while we keep our muscles flexible and strong. More than a number on the scale, a healthy cardiovascular system is your best bet against heart disease with serious events like heart attacks and strokes, or increasing blood pressure and cholesterol numbers. When I visit my Cardiologist yearly, the first question to me is :" Are you exercising daily, and if so, are you getting your heart rate up?" Before anything else, that is what he wants to know. The last thing he says to me is always, keep exercising every day because that is the best thing you can do to keep your heart healthy. Exercise. Cheap, simple, flexible, and of your best tools against the serious problems of aging. Exercise along a healthy diet are your best tools for good health. I am encouraging everyone here to talk about what YOU are doing to make your heart and lungs a priority in your daily plans for healthier eating.

What is my plan today? I have belonged to a gym since my heart surgery and since retirement, I have made getting there one of the first priorities of my day. Getting exercise is my "new work" since I officially retired. Instead of heading out to the office M-F, I get to the gym. Once I started doing that when I retired and focused on a healthy diet, 20 pounds came off over 2 years.

You know that ad that says," What's in your wallet?" I ask, What's in your plan for getting moving today so that you increase your heart rate and breathing? Nothing out of character for you own limitations. Nothing expensive besides a pair of walking shoes. Just a simple plan to devote at least 15 minutes to some sort of action. And when that action becomes too easy, up the routines and increase the time. Make 30 minutes a day your new goal along with that healthy diet for the rest of your life. I ask you again, "What's in your toolbox today for a healthy heart and lungs?"

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015

Edited by - Red Tractor Girl on Mar 14 2019 07:25:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2019 :  10:10:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My granddaughter came to visit last night. She is the younger one, who had the craniopharyngioma brain tumor 5years ago.
Some of the kids who have this tumor become so obese they resemble a ball. Some are so round they can't even walk. One little sweetie had gastric by pass surgery a couple of years ago and has dropped a good bit of weight. Although not thin her smiles show she is more self confident.
Had began that weight gain, because it just happens. But her mom helped her and at that time she saw her doctors every three months...they talked to her every time. She was not always happy, but managed to keep the weight off. She has been giving herself growth hormone shots for 4 plus years. Since she is 18, they are now adult doses. She is taller than me, so she is 5' 8" maybe.I
She takes thyroid medication, and now some female harmones.
She is a very normal sized young lady, a beautiful young lady!I
My point is that by working out two of three evenings each week, listening to her body, & drinking tons of water she has maintained a normal size. She has no thermostat! So she is either too hot or too cold. Her water consumption is related to the tumor. I drink a lot of water, but she drinks more.
After doing the whole 30 diet, she told me that she does not crave sweets, sodas, etc. She does love a homemade chocolate peanut butter shake. I make them for her...once a month! Blue bell Dutch Chocolate icecream (the only kind she can eat), Peanut butter and milk. She said that replaces a meal for her. When they were little and began asking for shakes, I slipped the peanut butter in, trying to cut the sweet and add some protein. It worked!! I admire Had, and Bay too!

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Mar 14 2019 10:16:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2019 :  10:22:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn I had not realized how the tumor had affected her and still does. She has been a brave young girl and now a young lady. I know she is blessed to have you in her life.

Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2703 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2703 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2019 :  10:30:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been thinking about Winnie has said for quite some time. I struggled with my weight for years and tried different diets, eating plans, exercise. I finally found what worked for me and it was a combination of eating right and exercise and keeping my total calorie count for the day within the weight loss range of 2 lb. a week while I was losing weight. I started 6 years ago when I turned 50 and lost 42 lb. that year and have kept it off for 5 years. Once in awhile I feel that 3-5 lb. start creeping back and then I become a little more vigilant with the eating and exercise. It works best for me to keep track of what I eat each day and if I'm really doing it right, log it shortly after I eat it. It's easy for me to forget if I wait for several hours. I use(d) myfitnesspal and it's easy to see where I need to add more protein, cut back on sugar, etc. for the day. You can also track your water consumption. I also wear a fitbit every day. I have it synced to myfitnesspal and it keeps track of extra calories I earn with my steps and exercise.
I try to get 10,000 steps or 1 hour of exercise 5 days a week. I almost always take Sunday off as a day of rest. I am always ready for that day of rest! Sometimes by the end of a long week my body is tired and that last hour of the week on the treadmill seems like it takes forever. BUT...I am also ready to get moving again! When your body gets used to movement, it craves it. My cousin, who is a nurse, struggles with arthritis, and always says..."Motion is Lotion". Even when I sit in the evening to work on knitting or whatever I feel like my muscles get stiffened up after a couple of hours.
I want to stay as active and flexible as I can as I get older. Exercise is funny...you'd think it would make you more tired when you don't have the energy or desire....but it actually has the opposite effect...it energizes you and refreshes your mind and gets you through the rest of the day. My mom does not get any exercise. She thinks she does...haha! But she also cannot figure out why she is so tired all of the time. Her doctor has told her she needs to move everyday. Funny story...she went out for a walk one day and said it DID help...but she is looking for a quick fix and ONE walk is not going to last for weeks! Even 30 minutes a day is great.
I remind myself that there are people out there who would LOVE to be able to get up and move. Never take that for granted!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2703 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2703 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2019 :  10:31:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, your granddaughter is inspiring! I'm glad she's being so proactive with her health. I wish more people did.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2019 :  11:29:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great notes today from Debbie and Marilyn that finding a life style balance of exercise and healthy food is successful and something we all can manage without joining expensive programs or purchasing expensive supplements. Again, the key is what you can do every day and for the years to come. Of course aging and disease will impact what foods agree with us and what sort of exercise is doable. But there are lots of solutions out there that can work and fit within any limitations that we have. Marilyn and Debbie, I think you both have underlined an important word: Proactive. We have to believe in ourselves as agents of positive change for our well being. There are no easy or quick answers. There is just the steady work of staying with what is going to make us healthier and able to live more vibrant lives. People who have been able to lose weight and keep it off are great examples of the tortoise approach to healthy food intake and exercise routines. No jack rabbits here!! LOL!! For me, those jack rabbit days left the station a long time ago!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2019 :  1:38:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My daily trip to the barn to water horses is seldom so simple. Today my son had a rope across the pasture entrance. When he ties a rope the way he does I can't untie it or retie it the way he does. It was tight. So I bent over to go under the rope, then walked to the barn. Today he had the chain up across the entrance, so exercise for my fingers. The calves had been there and spilled horse pellets everywhere. There was poop in the alley. There is a metal scraper blade on a long wooden handle. I use it like a push broom, and the horses all hate the noise, as I scrape it down the cement. It takes about eight runs to get the alley clean. Today after I got the poop scraped off and began watering I discovered the buckets all had to be dumped. Most were about half full but that makes a huge mess so I played in the water. More exercise for my fingers and thumbs as I spray the water. He has a spray nozzle but I take it off...if I didn't I would never finish. Then I picked up five empty hay cube bags and ten horse pellet bags. I save the hay bags but crumple the horse pellet bags, stuffing as many as possible into one,(exercising my back, neck shoulders arms and hands){ so he can burn them. Then I used a house broom to sweep off the ledge. Then I used the broom and my giant dust pan, which is a snow shovel, to pick up the spilled feed. Back down the wet alley I went to give the horses a treat. Then I plugged the blower in and cleaned the entrance mats and alley, then wound up the power cord, neatly. I did remember to get my phone my walking stick and my hay bags. I fed the dogs, turned out the lights, threw the breakers for the water,(mental exercise) put the chain back up, walked up the hill bent over to go under the rope, and drive home, exhausted! This is every day, six of seven days a week. Why? I enjoy it. I get to be outside more, talk to the horses, listen to the music on the barn radio and watch the new babies run and play with their moms. There are three new baby colts now. I noticed lots of tiny baby calves as I drove down to the mail boxes earlier.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2019 :  1:44:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Besides I feel good today. I have had two very painful weeks, but now I'm better!
I hope it lasts. If it does, I will tell you what I have for to feel good again.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2019 :  10:59:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today, I picked up a gym new member handout and I thought I would share the information with you. Much of it is what we have all discusssed, but it is good to have it validated by the fitness center. The hand out is titled: 7 Ways to Lose Body Fat and practical tips to lose weight and keep it of.

1. Stay hydrated. The recommendation focuses on water and gives ideas for flavoring water with things like fruit slices and cucumbers and herbs.

2. Learn to cook at home because you can be in control as to what ingredients and recipes to choose.

3. Listen to your body. Use intuitive eating where nothing is off limits. You're satisfying your nutritional needs with appropriate portions at the times that your body wants them, and then addressing any emotional needs through other means. www.intuitiveeating.org

4. Practice MIndful eating. Be fully present and aware of of food and how it makes your body feel as you eat it.

5. Stock your pantry and Fridge Wisely. We need to avoid eating out of convenience because we can end up not eating enough of the low fat and good things each day.

6. Prioritize Protein with eggs, meat, fish, dairy , nut, seeds and legumes.

7. Only use whole grain carbs. AVoid what is known as "naked carbs”which are the over processed ones. Example; brown rice and not white rice.

8 Bonus: Put Power in your words with substitutions like using don't instead of can't . Example: I don't cook every day instead of I can't cook everyday. Of course don't and can't words are based on individual limitations that truly result in a can't reply. I think you get the idea.

Two flavored water ideas that caught my eye were these: sliced strawberries and sliced lemon, and fresh pineapple slices and fresh basil leaves. Interesting and ones I am going to try.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2019 :  12:53:35 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That's great information, Winnie. Thank you for sharing. We, as well as many others in today's world, eat out too much. Ed and I have started sharing a meal when we eat out - this way we save money, eat less and don't waste food.

Now that the weather is warming up Ed and I are starting to do more around our properties, so therefore we are getting some more exercise. And, we are leaving on Driday morning for our 2-week trip to Arizona and will be doing quite a bit of walking around several National Parks (including the Grand Canyon, Painted Desert, and several others - my girlfriend's son is a Park Ranger at Saguaro National Park and is giving a Photography in the Desert talk that we will be attending). We will also be putting lots of miles on my car.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2019 :  4:27:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, enjoy you trip to the National Parks! It is a perfect time of year to go there because it isn't too hot yet. For sure there is lots of hiking to look forward to as well.

It is a good idea to share a meal when you eat out because they usually give you a huge portion! As we age, we just don't need as many calories, and when we eat big meals at night, our bodies just store those calories as fat because we usually don't do anything strenuous and then go to sleep. When your body can't use the calories, it just stores them for a rainy day. Hmmmmm, apparently, my body has had a bunch of rainy days this past year!! LOL!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9522 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9522 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2019 :  06:25:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been trying to eat a more plant based diet. Not difficult as I am not much of a meat eater but I don't like to give up my eggs. I use almond milk so I'm glad that is considered plant based. Though being careful of added ingredients.
I don't do a regimented exercise plan but I do try to walk more now that the weather is nice and I consider doing chores exercise. My mom always told me if I was faithful to do my housework and such then I would get lots of exercise. We have stairs which I am grateful for, good for the heart.
So glad we did this in such a way we can come back to these topics.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Apr 10 2019 06:26:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2019 :  06:47:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise good to see you posting on this subject. I too like that it's easy to find when we want to either post or read. You have found what works for you and that's a very good thing. I'm still eating smaller portions but am thinking about adding a little bread. Sandwiches have been my mainstay during the hot summer months so now I will have to use a little will power and eat them in moderation.

Every time I say "in moderation" I think of what Julia Childs said "everything in moderation especially moderation." Don't you just love it.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9522 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9522 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2019 :  1:47:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, She is not wrong. Moderation is good in all things. Sometimes not moderating is an issue for me but I am hoping with the warmer weather and more exercise I can get on track. It seems the harder I try the worse I get. My brain tells my body it is being deprived when actually it is not. So I have to retrain my brain to shut up when I'm trying to change my habits into a better lifestyle of eating. I need to learn that I am not here in order to live to eat but that it is that I want to learn how to eat to live. Amazing how little we really need to sustain ourselves in a healthy manner.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2019 :  2:00:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well said Denise.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 17 2019 :  07:42:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This morning on Joyce Myers "Enjoying Everyday Life" her message was about taking care of ourselves. She stressed eating right; drinking water; and daily exercise. One of the things she said was "stop referring to eating healthy as a diet",

We who are on this journey to be healthy need to hear what we already know and may be doing from different people in different ways to help keep us on track.

To do what is good for us takes reinforcing while to do what is bad for us takes no thought at all.

Winnie once again I want you do know how much I like to be able to come back to this subject and for it to be easy to find.

Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2703 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2703 Posts

Posted - May 20 2019 :  11:34:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, I just caught that Joyce Meyer episode yesterday.
Your comment about what is bad for us takes no thought is right on. How many times do we come in to fix a meal or get home from work or shopping and we are tired and it's just "easier" to grab something that isn't healthy? Or grab something on the way home? If I plan my meals ahead a day or 2 in advance, it's so much easier to eat right.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 20 2019 :  11:52:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...and Debbie it doesn't help the grab & eat foods taste soooo good.

I have a theory junk food comes with its own built-in addictive qualities. Can't prove it - just a thought.

Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2703 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2703 Posts

Posted - May 20 2019 :  11:57:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have read that somewhere! Craxy to think but I believe it!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - May 21 2019 :  05:04:11 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I love all these comments and suggestions for better living. I, for one, am happy that chocolate is a vegetable. LOL! Because I do love my chocolate. Ed and I are in New Orleans. We are walking every day quite a bit, getting more exercise than usual. I also count housework exercise. Walking around the city we came across one street we hadn’t seen before and it happened to be an old shopping area. We found a neat antique shop, and Ed bought a unique hand powered drill. Today we are going to be touring a plantation, and that will mean a lot of walking again. When we get home from here, in June we have three different trips planned, and all of them will be including a lot of walking. There’s only one week in June we won’t be out. I have a lot of stuff to get done around the house, but I Love these little vacations.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - May 21 2019 :  12:46:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, the scale at my house reflects what happens when you travel to Italy and eat delicious pasta! OY!! It never fails that the minute I get off my exercise and regular diet, the pounds pile on again. Even with a lot of walking while touring, it is not the same level of intensity as the gym and apparently my body has to have that to keep a steady weight. Plus, long air flights cause a lot of swelling in my legs now and the extra water weight shows on the scale as well. Right now, my plan is to get back into my regular routine and then check the scale in about 2-3 weeks to evaluate the "damage"!

I have read that those addictive foods that we love to eat are the result of higher fat, sugar and salt contents. Those appeal to our tastes and satisfy brain centers. It is true, you can't eat just one potato chip, or favorite cracker, or whatever triggers you. I know that a small dish of ice cream or a handful of Cape Cod potato chips just leaves me craving more. For me, it is always best to not get started on foods that have no nurtritional value like potato chips etc. However, that is so hard to do!! My best way to curtail the temptation is to not have it in the house. Out of sight, out of mind!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Learning Together : Healthy Eating for Life Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page