Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Learning Together May: Memorial Day History
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Learning Together May: Memorial Day History Next Topic  

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2019 :  09:41:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am posting early this month because I am headed to Italy tomorrow morning and returning May 13. May brings us Memorial Day and follows with Flag Day in June and the Fourth of July. Recently, I started a new book, Letters from the Boys, by Carrie Meyer. She researched the letters written home from soldiers in WWI to their families in a small town of Wisconsin. It has been a very interesting read so far and their letters reflect what we know from our own family active service stories.

In 1968, Congress passed a formal The Uniform Monday Act making Memorial Day the last Monday of May, honoring all men and women in the US Military plus Federal employees. By making the day always on a Monday, Federal employees could enjoy a three day weekend. This act officially went into effect in 1971.

Did you know that Memorial Day, however, had been around following the Civil War and was known as Decoration Day ? In the late 1860s, women began organizing informal Spring events to honor the fallen soldiers of the Civil War. On May 5, 1868, General John A. Logan, a Civil War Veteran, called for a national day of remembrance to fallen soldiers and celebrating hence forth every May 30th. It was a time to bring flowers, flags and wreaths to decorate the graves. General Logan referred to the day as Decoration Day.

General Logan first heard about the informally organized women's groups who had been gathering to decorate the Confederate Dead. The recognition grew in popularity to other states who embraced the idea and picked a day. General Logan's declaration was to have everyone celebrating together and thus make a national event in the Nation to honor the fallen soldiers. By 1890, all the states had made Decoration Day an official state holiday.

Following World War I, the decision was made to have Decoration Day to be a day of remembrance for fallen soldiers of all the wars and not just the Civil War.

In 1868, following Logan's proposal, the first Arlington Cemetery service had 5000 people attend and decorated 20,000 Confederate graves. Since then, there remains a service at Arlington Cemetery every Memorial Day.

Today, there are a variety of ways that cities, large and small, honor the fallen soldiers. There are church prayer services, small hometown parades, family gatherings, fireworks, and American flags waving from many home flagpoles. Officially, the tradition is to keep the flag at half mast until noon, and at 3pm there in a moment of National remembrance.

Today, Memorial Day weekend is often celebrated as the official kick-off of Summer. Where weather allows, trips to the pools, beaches and lakes are enjoyed.

The difference between Memorial Day and Veterans Day is that the November 11 celebration was began as the celebration of the Armistice with Germany ending WWI. Today, Veterans Day is a day of remembrance to all living and deceased men and women who served and continue to serve our county.

Fortunately, I do not have any family who died in the various wars that I know of. There may have been some in the Revolutionary War or the Civil War that were not recorded in our family stories passed down.

As I read my new book of the letters home from WWI soldiers to their families and loved ones, I get a very real sense of strength and courage in the unknown and awful circumstances of war. They are proof that we must always reach for peace first and keep negotiating for as long as we can to avoid military conflict.

Let's share what your family traditions are and what stories you have about Decoration Day. Do you have family that died in the Civil War? Did your Grandmother tell you about how they honored the fallen soldiers in their towns ? What do you do today, in 2019, to recognize Memorial Day?

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9521 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9521 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2019 :  10:02:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, I grew up hearing my family referring to Decoration day. We always took flowers to the graves that day. We didn't do picnics back then. Being on a farm we didn't take too many days like that since chores still needed done. Sometimes because we were off school and dad off work after we took flowers we would go fishing and mom always made and took bagged lunches. The way we did the graves the last stop was always up by the lake near my grandparents house. I do wish we lived closer to home so we could still do that but I know the family still there does the flowers.
Here we sometimes have our children/grands here for a picnic. They put flags on the graves here to mark the fallen soldiers.
I think it is so important to teach ourchildren about our history and this is a good time when they ask about why we have these days.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Apr 28 2019 10:03:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2019 :  10:07:10 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That is great about the book, Winnie. Very interesting. I never saw any of my uncle's letters home, and I'm sure things in the letters would have been very interesting.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9521 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9521 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2019 :  10:14:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm on my phone can't write much at a time.

We have letters that JT's grandpa wrote home when he was in WWII. Very interesting some of the things he wrote about. He was at the Battle of the Bulge. He didn't write much about the war itself but many things about their conditions, and what things he missed about being home. Mostly, he wrote to his father. He did tell places they had been and we're going.
Some of them were quite sad. But then there is nothing happy about war.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Apr 28 2019 10:16:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2703 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2703 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2019 :  3:31:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My grandma told me that when she would get letters from my grandpa, serving in WW2, sections might be cut out of the letters. They would be read ahead of time and if anything of national security. etc was mentioned, it was cut from the letter.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9521 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9521 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2019 :  5:26:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mostly, the places grandpa wrote about were when they were still in the states. Like where they were going to until it was time for them to go overseas.wasn't hard to tell where he was due to the return address.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2019 :  05:40:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These are all such interesting comments about family members who served and died in past wars. One point that I found touching was the fact that it was the women who informally set up the meaningful tradition of honoring the fallen men. When you think about the role of women in post Civil War days, they didn't have power to organize formally, vote, or work with local and state government . The fact that they created a tradition that was recognized throughout the rest of the states, speaks volumes to me about how we owe much to these women. Even though they organized informally, which was the only way they could, they managed to capture a nation's attention and inspired then General Logan to step forward and work towards a true formalization of Decoration Day. Women knew the meaning of finding a way to honor their loved ones in a respectable and public way. They are truly the founders of what is now a huge Federal Holiday that has been celebrated by millions over the generations.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2019 :  05:42:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These are all such interesting comments about family members who served and died in past wars. One point that I found touching was the fact that it was the women who informally set up the meaningful tradition of honoring the fallen men. When you think about the role of women in post Civil War days, they didn't have power to organize formally, vote, or work with local and state government . The fact that they created a tradition that was recognized throughout the rest of the states, speaks volumes to me about how we owe much to these women. Even though they organized informally, which was the only way they could, they managed to capture a nation's attention and inspired then General Logan to step forward and work towards a true formalization of Decoration Day. Women knew the meaning of finding a way to honor their loved ones in a respectable and public way. They are truly the founders of what is now a huge Federal Holiday that has been celebrated by millions over the generations.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9521 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9521 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2019 :  06:06:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Being a former military wife I can understand why the women wanted to honor their loved ones and all who gave their lives. Women have such an important role be they in the military themselves or just being at home keeping the home fires burning. It is not an easy job to be the single parent for months to a year at a time. Sadly, not everyone realizes or appreciates what is truly given when it comes to military and war. I am glad that we have special times to honor those men and women and I am grateful for those who came before us that also understood and honored those who fought for our freedoms.
Thank you for choosing this topic Winnie. It is always good to reflect and understand why we do what we do in our celebrations.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Apr 29 2019 06:12:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2019 :  06:38:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I grew up knowing about Decoration Day but never knew how it began. Only knew it was a time old cemeteries were cleaned up and graves decorated with flowers and flags. Dinner on the grounds with prayers and maybe singing.

I decorate my front porch with flags for Memorial Day and for the Fourth of July. Last year I left the flags up from the end of May till pumpkin time. Will do the same this year.

I have a red, white, and blue swag I hang on gate in front of Yellow Rose Cottage.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2019 :  08:28:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds pretty Sara. I need to buy some flags to put in my sap cans that hang on the fence. I bought a new big flag and now I can't find it... .I need to look again.. I love the red, white and blue too!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9521 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9521 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2019 :  08:35:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the look of the buntings. They always have flags hung on the poles up Main Street. It looks so nice and honestly brings out the patriotism in people I think.
We keep our big flag up year round unless the weather is bad. I enjoy seeing all the flags in the cemeteries honoring our soldiers.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2019 :  09:04:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like buntings too! They just look festive and very patriotic. Our town sticks flags out by the curb down town.
Since our town patriarch passed away recently, I hope someone else puts the flags on the soldiers graves around our county. She was big into putting the confederate as well as the American flags out. She would call on people and businesses to buy the little flags.
God One morning I was at a little church in the country keeping a girl in alternative school, when Joyce appeared and asked us to help her put the flags out. It was a great community experience for that kid, and fun for me too!

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Apr 29 2019 09:05:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - May 24 2019 :  07:41:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As we move into Memorial Day weekend, I wanted to post an update from the book I read.

This was a wonderful read full of history of Green County, Wisconsin and the boys who joined the Army for the WWI effort. What I personally found interesting was the transformation these young men underwent. America was adamant that joining the war effort against Germany was not in their national interest. This strong anti-war sentiment was part of what got Woodrow Wilson elected President in 1916. Very rural states like Wisconsin were even more adamant against joining the war effort. Green County was mostly made up of small towns and lots of dairy farmers. Their lives were stable and their communities were tight. However, when President Wilson could no longer ignore the German threats to America, our nation joined the WWI effort in April of 1917. At that time national defense was a low priority so we only had a very small army of about 255, 000 soldiers. Wilson called for a draft and immediately, young men everywhere we anxious to join the effort and get this problem off the national back. Once War ws declared and a call for troops was made, Wisconsin jumped right in to join the effort and young men were voluntarily rushing to sign up and get started. Many even faked their real age, which was supposed to be 18, in order to serve. This book is a collection of many of their letters home that are archived in the local newspapers and Historical Society records from the time.

I was struck by a couple of common traits of the letters. First, they spoke in general terms about life there on the front lines. Because letters were censored to avoid sending top information that might get in the hands of the enemy, the boys instead talked about life, their new friends in combat, the appreciation of a good night's sleep or the rare good meal. They were always reassuring loved ones that they were well and strong. I was also struck by how much they enjoyed getting to know the French people whose farms and meager lives, they willingly shared with American troops. Learning a new language and getting to understand and appreciate a different culture was a source of happiness and fulfillment. Most of these young men had never been away from home, let alone in a foreign country that spoke a totally different language. Yet, there were a few details of the hardships of war like 30 hour work stints, living in foxholes in cold, wet weather, endless itching from lice, long marches in mud and other hardships. The trench warfare was the most challenging as it was confining, dangerous, tedious, and surrounded by death 24 hours a day. Yet, these extraordinary men found new ways to keep their spirits up, support each other, do the difficult jobs being asked of them, and finally win the war. Yet, overwhelmingly, many men said they would not have given up this important year of their life and they were proud and glad they joined up.

The toll of the war resulted in about 120, 000 American deaths and 206,000 wounded. Most of the men arrived between June 2017 and November 2017. It was one long bloody year until the Armistice on November 11, 1918. During this time, families who had loved ones serving would place a star in a window of their homes to honor them being in the war effort. This is a photo of my mother's original house where a star was in the window in honor of Mom's Uncle George who was fighting in France. This photo is very faded but you can see the idea and sort of make out the image.

I wanted to share these photos and a bit of what I learned about one county's experience in America. If you are a history lover or simply want to learn more about part of the earlier war efforts that are remembered in Memorial Day celebrations, you can find this book on Amazon, secondhand, very inexpensive. Here is a photo of the Monticllo, Wisconsin Memorial Day parade in 1919 featuring the returning soldiers marching together. It gives me goose bumps to look at it!

Happy Memorial Day weekend!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9521 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9521 Posts

Posted - May 24 2019 :  07:56:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie,
I posted a link on my Facebook page this morning from military.com pertaining to the difference between Memorial day and Veterans day.
I know it is important to thank those who are living for their service but this upcoming Monday is not about that. Thank you for sharing. It has prompted me to do more looking into this subject. Being an ex military family it is close to our hearts these special days.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on May 24 2019 07:56:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6074 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6074 Posts

Posted - May 24 2019 :  1:14:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are so right!

Happy Memorial weekend everyone

Blessings
Love
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic Learning Together May: Memorial Day History Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page