Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Learning Together : Healthy Eating for Life
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Learning Together : Healthy Eating for Life Next Topic
Page: of 6

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9521 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9521 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2019 :  12:20:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did a light lunch and have stew in the pot for tonight.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2019 :  06:28:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This month of learning together is coming to an end. I'm staying on track and want to thank each of you who inspired me along the way.

I wonder what Winnie has in mind for Feb.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9521 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9521 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2019 :  06:39:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara,
I know that Winnie will post another topic if no one has an idea to post with another one. She was leaving the dates of stopping and starting a topic open depending on the interest of the current one.
We are also welcome to email her with a topic of interest if we prefer to have her post it.
This topic was a great and one that I know has helped me.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2019 :  06:52:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Denise. Maybe Winnie will consider retitling this tread so we can from time to time post on it. It's a great tool to keep us on the right track to reaching our goals. I have noticed the interest in the subject is waning. Less FarmGirls are posting.

The new topic could have it's own title and thread.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2019 :  05:07:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would be fine with giving this thread a name and post the next one differently. What do you think about this idea: Learning together: Healthy eating ideas for Life. The next topic can be : Learning together: my next suggestion for Feb.

Let me know how that sounds or if you have other better ideas. I am still mulling around about what I want to post for February.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2019 :  05:13:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's perfect Winnie. I want to be able to easily revisit "the Healthy eating ideas for Life" when I need to give myself a little boost to keep on track or to post something new.

Looking forward to our next subject.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9521 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9521 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2019 :  05:26:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great idea Winnie. That way we can find the different Learning together threads without getting them all jumbled together by commenting on an old one in the middle of a new subject.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2703 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2703 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2019 :  09:52:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm really glad that we will keep this topic up. I have really enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts and helpful strategies for eating and weight loss/management. There's so much good information here it will be nice to be able to go back and re read.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2019 :  11:15:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Winnie. Easy to find - Easy to use - Hopefully easy to stay on track.

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2019 :  11:31:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love the idea Winnie!
Connie
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2019 :  1:38:12 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds good, Winnie. Ed and I both want to lose weight. Eating sensibly is surely the way to go. Having helpful ideas is always good. And having someone to diet with is also good.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2019 :  10:15:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This morning I canned Christmas Lima dried beans - one of my favorites. I cooked the leftovers from canning and had for lunch. They were so good I could have eaten all two portions. But I reminded myself to only eat until I was full no matter how good it was. How good - standing at the counter eating out of the pot good. We've all done it but to stay on track no more. I enjoy a small portion today and have a small portion of beans I can enjoy tomorrow.

Thanks again Winnie. Posting here helps keep me on track.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2019 :  04:30:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today and for a couple more days I will be undoing what I did yesterday. Pizza, pasta, Betty's from scratch banana pudding (who could pass that up), fried apricot pie, and cheesecake. Figure if I eat a smaller portion here and skip something there I'll be back on track to eating right by Wed evening.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9521 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9521 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2019 :  04:43:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have really been struggling with snacking because instead of eating meals the way I should I tend to be a grazer.I need to make my lunches ahead so I don't just grab anything.I am going to try changing one thing at a time.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2019 :  05:09:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise packing your lunch is a good thing. Since you are a grazer maybe you should embrace it and plan your 'eating' day around grazing. Have on hand easy to snack on protein and good carbs and save the sweet & not-so-good carbs for treats.

I tried grazing and I liked it but after months of eating that way I realized my body didn't function that way. I need at least 3 hours between eating for my body to properly digest my food. Since I am eating smaller portions and stop all food intake by 5p.m. my body is functioning as it should.

Weighed this morning and I'm down 2 more lbs so that's why I am determined to undo yesterday's overeating. When I weigh next Monday morning I will be happy if I have held on to that 2 lb lost.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2019 :  05:09:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These past days, I have been off my game a bit. Just realizing that I am way too full at a meal instead of stopping when I was full. I remind myself that this is a life style path and that I just need to be careful at every meal. The past two weeks have also found me hungry all afternoon that has me looking for a snack. When I was working with the Dietician years ago, she reminded me that I tend to not eat enough protein at meals and that has me getting hungry of and on in the hours later. So, I need to focus on eating more protein at each meal and drinking my water first before I start adding snacks. Actually, I think there is some plain old bad habits trying to sneak in again. I've tend to struggle with the same problems over and over again through the years!! Yep, Farmgirls, we all have bad habits and we usually know what they are. But getting them under control once and for all has proven harder than I ever imagined!! Let's all just keep our attitudes positive and keep doing the good things . Power in all of us sticking together!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2019 :  05:19:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie I have always liked this saying "I got it all together then I forgot where I put it". Bad habits do sneak back in when we aren't looking. I tend to want to eat when MS fatigue drops on me. My mind knows food won't help but my body says feed me and you're feel better.

Yesterday I did not follow the stop when you feel full rule and I kept on shoveling it in. But in my defense I must say even when I do overeat now it's less than what I used to be able to pack away. The thing is if I allow (it is my choice to make) overeat too often it becomes easier to do it everyday.

So glad we have this topic to come back to whenever we need to.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9521 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9521 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2019 :  05:29:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for the encouragement! Nice to be traveling a path with others.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2019 :  04:00:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last night I was looking through my Herb Cookbook and came across a recipe for refrigerator muffins. It gave measurements of other flours to substitute for wheat if gluten was a problem. I don't know why it wouldn't work for other recipes.

1 cup wheat flour equals:

1/4 cup coarse ground cornmeal
1 cup fine cornmeal or corn flour
7/8 cup buckwheat flour
1 1/8 cups rolled oats (whirled in the blender until fine)
7/8 cup barley flour

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2019 :  05:42:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I got a reality check at the doctor's office on Tuesday when I stepped on the scale. UGH! All of those excuses and sneaks of treats have put on several unwanted pounds. These days, losing weight is really hard and it takes forever to get a pound off and keep it off. Pine pollen has bloomed here in Florida and my allergies have been bothering me a lot. I have been taking antihistamines but the pollen gives me a headache so I feel more sluggish . When I feel sluggish, I tend to overeat. My body craves carbs when I am tired or sluggish and it is so easy to overeat . The message from the brain is that it wants energy through carbs and that makes me hungry all the time. So, I am going to have to be more focused and distract myself when I think I want a snack or something. Busy hands helps occupy my brain and the food stays in the box or fridge!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2019 :  06:11:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie I hope you are feeling better this morning.

I keep telling myself I'm on a lifetime path so if I wander off it one day I do my best to get back on track the next day. So far I've been able to do that but I do so miss Old Folk's breakfast sausage and Lay's potato chips. I do eat chips with a burger when eating out but it's not the same as holding a whole package in my hands and pigging out. I can see my progress when I get on the scales so doing without a few favorite foods is a small price to pay.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2019 :  09:14:46 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Losing weight is 10x harder than gaining what you lost back. I agree that eating carbs is what helps us feel better - my allergies have been running rampant, and so I eat! Need to get back on track -- after Valentines Day. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2019 :  4:05:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In MJF latest magazine pg 35-40 there's an article on fasting. I think I will do the 5:2 Fasting Diet to pep up what I have been doing. It's hard to stay on track day in and day out so doing something new maybe what I need to help keep me watching what I eat.

Tomorrow morning will be a good time to start. Why put it off? Daily total of 500-600 calories. I have eggs & swiss chard to cook in the fridge and plenty of teas. The diet calls for 2 days of fasting but they cannot be consecutive. I will see how tomorrow goes and then choose my next day to semi-fast. The article didn't call it semi-fasting but that how I think of it.

Anyone else interested in semi-fasting with me?

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2019 :  5:06:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That calorie count is awfully low, isn't it? I remember when I was 25 and had to drop some fluid build up weight ( medically caused) I chose 700 calories per day. That was tough and I had will power back then.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2019 :  5:15:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not many calories for sure but it's only for one day and you don't do it again until several days later. I'm going to give it a try and see how I do. To borrow a line from Steel Magnolias "what does not kills you strengthens you". maybe not the exact line but that's how I remember it.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Learning Together : Healthy Eating for Life Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page