Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Learning Together : Healthy Eating for Life
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Learning Together : Healthy Eating for Life Next Topic
Page: of 6

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2019 :  06:40:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise snacking has always been a problem for me too. I'm doing better since I don't keep snacks in the house. I also cut off my eating by 4 p.m. Today my time to eat is 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. That's 8 hours so I eat 3 meals with 1 snack. Yesterday my snack was 1/2 cup Jell-O. Today same snack. I made up a small box of strawberry Jell-O and divided into four Styro-foam cups. Covered with Press N/ Seal so when I want a snack it is already measured out for me and a plus is no bowl to wash.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2019 :  05:19:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I weigh in the morning and hope to have lost a little with practicing portion control. One thing I have noticed it takes less to fill me up so it must be working. Now to get my body moving.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9521 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9521 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2019 :  05:31:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara
The jello sounds like a good way to go
It would satisfy my sweet tooth. When I worked I was on my feet and moving a lot and I took my lunch and that was helpful. Maybe I should do that even though I am home. I have a tendency to skip lunch and that is when I start snacking.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2019 :  05:45:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise what a great idea to 'pack' your lunch. It would be handy when you stop what ever you are doing to sit down to eat. All ready and measured out for you. Afternoon snacking is a problem for me too. By that time MS fatigue has dropped on me and I tell myself if a eat something I will feel better. I know better - my mind knows food won't help - but my body screams feed me junk food. It never yells spinach.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9521 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9521 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2019 :  07:05:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ever wonder why it is our bodies never crave a salad but always the junk food? Probably thinks we are starving it. LOL

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2019 :  07:16:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise I think of this thread as a tool that I can use to keep me focus. Sorta like a journal where I write down my thoughts, successes, plans, and problem areas. And I get to read the journals of my SPG sisters which inspire, teach, and guide me. Winnie, Thanks!!!

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2019 :  05:26:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Snacking is tough for all of us! I go to the gym in the mornings and it seems like I get hungry off and on all afternoon even though I eat a healthy lunch. I struggle to stay out of the pantry!! I am trying to make myself drink more water because that is something I neglect. It also helps to drink hot tea or coffee on colder afternoons to keep me from convincing myself that I am starving, which clearly I am NOT11 LOL!!

It is helpful to plan to eat at regular intervals so that hunger doesn't build up and you end up eating empty calories. Packing your lunch is a really good idea, Denise, to get you in the habit of eating on a more regular basis. It might also help you fend off the munchies later in the day. It might also be helpful to combine a lunch break with something you enjoy like time to read a book or listen to a podcast or something . By combining something pleasurable for your mind with eating, the food takes less of a power holder because you are equally enjoying something else.

Great news, Sara, that the smaller portion is showing signs of success!! Yep, time to get moving more. I find that moving more helps me have more energy and more stamina. I was never athletic and because I was born with a congenital heart defect that was unknown until age 47 and , I could never build up much striength. However, I was painfully skinny until my mid teens and the issue was I wasn't hungry and didn’t get enough calories to match the growth. Hehehe, when I was in 8th grade, I had a huge growth spurt with no weight gain and I looked like a scarecrow with long legs, arms, and body!! My Mom had to make me sweaters that were long enough and small enough to fit right as well as make me skirts and other clothes. Maybe that is why I love scarecrows so much!!!!! LOL!!! When I visit my cardiologist every year, one of the first things he asks is, “are you going to the gym and exercising regularly"? Exercise is the best friend of our cardiovascular system which is critical to every other internal system.

I am inspired by all of the ideas and stumbling blocks that have been shared here. By sharing our thoughts and ideas, I am inspired to get busy and proactive what I already have learned and know works. Why is it that we can so easily fall off the wagon and get lazy about doing healthy stuff? Hehehe, my body never screams for spinach’s either!!! LOL!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9521 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9521 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2019 :  07:05:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So today is a new day and I ate breakfast wrote it down and will be getting my lunch ready ahead. That way I don't wait too long get lazy and munch whatever.
Thanks for the pep talks ladies!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2019 :  07:49:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Way to go, Denise!

Weighed this morning and showed a 4 oz drop since last Monday morning. Coming off slow but that's okay with me. Gotta give my wrinkles time to bounce back.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9521 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9521 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2019 :  08:07:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anything on the down go is a good thing Sara. The most important thing for me is to get it ready and write it down ahead. That way I know it's coming and I don't have to be looking around in the pantry. I have supper in the crockpot and already planned out what I will have. I need a good helping of sticktoitiveness!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jan 21 2019 08:09:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2019 :  09:53:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My problem is crackers, any kind, I graze on them to help my nausea from MS, and Meds that I take. Nausea has been one of my main symptoms for the last 20 years. I do try and eat a sting cheese instead or a couple of grapes or handful of walnuts. Crackers work the best! Lily June is here 2 days a week and she loves her crackers too!

Like you said Sara, Because of MS, and My 2 knee surgeries it's hard to exercise. I walk a lot the 2 days Lily June is here, I miss my walks down my street. I use to swim laps 2 days a week, I love the water and miss it. It's a long drive to the YMCA!

Connie

Edited by - Killarney on Jan 25 2019 09:56:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2019 :  04:12:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thurs and yesterday I ate lunch out and enjoyed foods I don't keep at the house so today I am watching what I eat. I'm in for the long haul - a way of life and not a diet so if I spurge one or two days I cut back for a day or two than back to watching my portion size and little snacking. I don't count exact calories but I do have a round number of how many calories I am taking in and do my best not to go over 1800. I aim for 1600 but as long as I don't go over 1800 I consider it a fair day.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9521 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9521 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2019 :  04:27:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We went to supper at the Amish market on Thursday night and then a girrlfried wanted to meet there for lunch yesterday.
I had a salad wrap and only ate half and then for lunch I did a grilled chicken salad and cream of broccoli soup. Skipped supper last night as I wasn't feeling hungry. I'm trying to stick to making better choices and watching my portions. I am glad they have some good choices there for meals. Much of their menu is heavier dishes.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jan 26 2019 04:28:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2019 :  04:39:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise you did good!!!

I got up at 4a.m. today and had my 1 Tbsp of EVOO. Thirty minutes later hot tea with sugar. I make 4 cups at a time with 3 tsp sugar. A little after six I had breakfast. 2 slices un-cured bacon and 1 cup canned asparagus. Don't know why but I prefer canned asparagus to fresh with most veggies it's the other way around.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9521 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9521 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2019 :  04:49:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Asparagus is supposed to be an excellent kidney flush. I love asparagus, steamed. I didn't get my fresh vegetables when I was at the mkt. yesterday but will go today.
It's so close by and I tend to buy just what i need there. Which is better than the grocers for me. Too many choices.
They are open Thursday through Saturday which is handy.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jan 26 2019 04:51:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2019 :  09:40:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yay! Denise! I love Asparagus! Holly and love it saute ( Just a smidge of olive oil)- steamed with a crunch, Rex likes it mushy. I am trying to do the same thing! Lily June loves Pringles chips so I have to try and stay out of them LOL!

I need to lose 50 pounds! I have a hernia near my Tummy no surgery will work, Dr. said, best thing is get some weight off! I love to snack on Celery and String cheese, I gotta watch those crackers!!

Connie
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2019 :  09:54:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie I no longer keep Ritz crackers in the house because I can eat one sleeve at a sitting. I buy saltines and only eat one or two with soup or chili. There's something about the buttery crunch of Ritz crackers that saltines don't have.

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2019 :  6:17:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, Good advice! I too, can eat the whole sleeve at once!!!

Connie
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9521 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9521 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2019 :  6:25:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my I love saltines!

Connie, dr. said that for every 10 pounds lost it takes 50 pounds of pressure off the knees. I need pressure off these knees for sure!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2019 :  9:36:14 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I, too, love asparagus. If it will help, I will eat it. Ed and I both want to lose 20-25 pounds. We are eating smaller portions and more proteins, green veggies, and salads. I am going to try cutting out potatoes, rice, and bread. Ed and I are starting our diets when we get home from Florida. Eating on a cruise ship did not do our physiques any good. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017

Edited by - quiltee on Jan 26 2019 9:37:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2019 :  07:53:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been thinking about calories and this is what I decided. Calories can be divided into three groups.

1. The daily calories to maintain desire weight.

2. The daily calories to lose weight.

3. The daily calories to gain weight.

For me I now know I can lose weight by taking in 1800 calories or less. The calories under 1800 will determine how fast I lose.

To maintain my desire weight the daily calories may be 1800-2000. Will have to reach my desire weight before I know for sure and that is months away.

Daily calories over 2000 will probably lead to weight gain.

For now I will use these numbers to help me manage my new life style.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2019 :  09:00:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gluten incompetence is such a bummer! No bread, no burger bun, no crackers with my homemade mushroom soup, no biscuits or toast for breakfast!
Yesterday I stood in front of the selection of gluten free foods in walmart, wondering if any of it was tasty...not cardboard like the bread I bought two weeks ago! My family came looking for me, I only got a small box of 'graham' crackers.they were $.75, because they must be trying to phase them out. They are good with peanut butter, makes a great 3:30 pm snack.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2019 :  05:02:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weighed this morning and lost two lbs since last Monday. Portion control and no snacking through out the day is the answer for me. I have one snack most days - sometimes two but no more. Lately my snacks have been 1/2 cup Jell-O with sliced bananas. I eat regular Jell-O - no sugar free.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9521 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9521 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2019 :  06:39:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara that is great. Once it becomes habit it is so much easier.
I had a breakfast of toast with almond butter and a banana. I eat a banana most everyday with breakfast. Still need to cut out the snacks as they are not helping me.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2019 :  06:44:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise your breakfast sounds yummy and healthy. Have black beans in crockpot - may have a meatless day.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Learning Together : Healthy Eating for Life Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page