darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6076 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6076 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2019 :  10:07:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie those little fireplace heaters are so nice and do keep your room warm, I love the fire and not the worry about sparks from the fire.
Nice ambience for a room.
Stay
Warm everyone!
Hugs and love!

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2019 :  1:23:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stopped in to the rehab to take Mary some fresh flowers and a few things she needed. The wind was blowing so hard when I came back out I thought it would knock me over before I made it back to the car. The sun is shining but it is oh so cold. Hurried in the house to get some tea and get warmed up by the stove. Brr!

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6076 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6076 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2019 :  2:02:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh that sound so cold! That rotes will warm you!
Take care Denise!

Hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2019 :  7:04:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did y'all read Julie Hofmann's post on another thread???She said their mail service has been canceled along with many other things. Wow!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2019 :  8:16:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ours was cancelled too. ,

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6076 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6076 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2019 :  9:58:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darlenelovesart

Oh that sound so cold! That stove will warm you!
Take care Denise!

Hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2019 :  04:05:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Up early this morning and have finished my morning games on the computer. I play spider solitaire and epic mahjong. I like to play them and two of my doctors told me to play games and work crossword puzzles which also do everyday because they suspected I had a silent stoke. This was twenty years ago and I still do it. "Use it - don't lose it" is what they both told me.

TGF's potato skins on sale so I ordered them with todays food delivery order. Bobbie will come over this afternoon for a snack of potato skins. Also ordered rotisserie chicken which is on sale. It should go good with the potato skins. No cooking - no cleanup - my kind of entertaining. Will have to remember to stop eating at first sign of being full. I like that my new life style allows me to eat what I want - just not all I want.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2019 :  04:56:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been watching the weather up north with the Polar Vortex and it is scary for those 60 million people affected! Bonnie, glad you are OK and I hope Julie and their farm is surviving as well. I was wondering what people do who have beef cattle in fields?? Such dangerous temperatures! I also read on weather.com, that Australia has been having temps as high as 120 and the drought has been terrible as well. Many of the wildlife is dying from the heat and lack of water. It is scary that Julie has temps colder than Antarctica and Australia is burning up!

Sara, I love to play solitaire every day too. I keep trying to remind myself to get a book of crossword puzzles too. My Mom loved both of those games and I think I picked it up from her because we used to do them together when I was growing up.

Hehehe, Sara, you hit the nail on the head! We just can't eat ALL that we want if we wish to keep the lid on the excess pounds!! LOL!! Our neighbor's girls came around with Girl Scout cookies last weekend and I purchased two boxes. It has been the first time in forever that we had cookies around. I have been pretty good but Warren has been having no success at keeping away from them!! This is the perfect example of why we can't be trusted with yummy cookies in the house! LOL!!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2019 :  05:06:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, I haven't kept cookies in my house in years because I can't eat just one or two.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2019 :  05:39:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are about a dozen bluebirds out my kitchen window this cold morning! So pretty. Wish I could have gotten a picture.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2019 :  06:13:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son told me that his wife's sister, who lives in South western Wisconsin sent a photo of a thermometer..-31° yesterday or the day before.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2019 :  07:30:10 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The people we were staying with in Florida the last 5 days come from Indiana. Temps there were -45 degrees. Schools and businesses closed.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2019 :  08:31:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When the cold gets so low, way down in the -#s, does the water freeze up? Our pressure tank is in the old cellar, so I have not worried about our water freezing up...But the coldest we have been in the 27 years we have lived here was 13°. I noticed yesterday when I turned on the water at the horse barn, it gurgled a bit and ran slower until the ice cleared the line and hose. We have been in the middle and upper 20s at nght.
How do the people survive, if the power goes out?

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2019 :  08:47:41 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I came home ftom Florida with allergies or a cold. Of course, the car Ed got when we returned from the cruise for our five days in Florida waws a Mustang convertible - and he HAD to have the top down on Tuesday even though it was only i the 50s. Even with the windows up and the heat blasting, the cold air hit my neck, so now I'm paying for it.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2019 :  1:46:33 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well, now we have a big problem with Ed's US mail delivery. Ed had his mail held while we were gooe - like I did. I always say I will pick it up the next day, but he has his delivered. Yesterday it was supposed to be delivered. When we stopped at his house on the way from the airpoort, there was a small stack of mail in his box, but all but 2 pieces was for his neighbor. The mail didn't arrive today, either, so he went to the PO and talked to the supervisor. Ed had tried calling several times this morning and they were not answering the phone - the supervisor told him that was their fault (but not why). He asked them to look in the back and they said all the mail was out for delivery and not at the PO; they said they are waiting for the mailman to return from his route so they can ask him where he left it!!! That's 3 weeks of mail GONE!!! I told Ed I thought that was mail fraud - if the mail carrier gave it to someone else, and they have not returned it, he should be held accountable. We were expecting several checks, and it is tax season and several tax documents should be coming. It has happened before that this carrier has not put it in the box the day he should have. I want him held accountable. This is not right. I wonder if he knows where he left it? I sure hope so, for his sake.

Sometimes I get a piece of mail or two that aren't mine, but I always take it to the correct address or put it back in the box for them to do so. But not a 3-week pile of mail!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6076 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6076 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2019 :  2:42:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh dear Linda, I hope they find your mail and make the office and carrier be accountable. We have that problem with the main post office in Eureka and Fortuna. Makes it hard for the good offices when that happens.

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2019 :  3:47:19 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Darlene. Yes, this is totally unacceptable. They are a government office and should be held accountable for deliverig ALL the mail. We know a few things that are missing, but there are things we do not know that are in this lost mail.

I get a daily email of what is to be included in my mailbox delivery for that day. I am going to have Ed sign up for this. It is too late now, but in the future, everything that should be delivered will be SHOWN! I like this, especially if I am expecting something.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2019 :  7:55:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, I understand your frustration. The mail service has been so bad for about 14 or 15 months now. Forget the red and white envelopes with two day service...It takes at least six days. You would think that a business that has as many holidays as they get and shorter hours would try! The women workers are not very friendly at our PO. We do have one nice lady.
I think that if the guy who lost Ed's mail cannot recall whose box he put it in, I would ask the post office for a list of everyone on the route, then contact them yourselves
Now our Route is 'owned' by a man. He hires a ditzy woman to run the route each day. She may give us our mail for a couple of weeks then you get none. We have gotten mail for our friends who live 15 miles away. I have complained, I have called him at home so many times. He just offers me her job. Some days the mail arrives at 9am. That is rare! Usually it comes between 10:30 and 11am. But there are days when she just does not get up...Then it is up to the route 'owner' to run our route...on those days it will be at least 2:30 or even as late as 4pm. I remember when getting a job with the post office was very hard, they had to take a civil service exam, etc. Now all they want is to charge us more for lousy service!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2019 :  8:33:09 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I knoW! I like the ladies at our PO, but in Rockwall and Quinlan they are not at all friendly. I try to send all farmgirl mail from OUR local PO.

I do know the PO will not give out naes/addresses. All the privacy issues now. He better know where he left it, AND he'd better get it back. Or the supervisor is going to be in super trouble. Ed is so easy going - he is not as upset as I am. And that frustrates me, too.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2019 :  8:42:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If he put it in the box of an elderly person, they may not be able to get to the post office to turn it in. If he is like our lady..she will not remove anything from our boxes. We must either drive to a drop box of the post office and hand it to someone because the route person will not take it.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2019 :  03:18:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use a little P.O. in a town close by to send my mail out. Ours is a bit bigger and
I prefer the small one. It is the same distance away from us as our own P.O. I don't have a problem with our carrier not taking any mail that is not ours. I put it back in the box and they take it. I also write that has been delivered to the wrong address. I hope somehow you can get it all Linda. I would go over to the post office everyday until they figure out what happened

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Feb 01 2019 03:18:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2019 :  10:00:56 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
UPDATE: Again, the Postmaster was not there - thi is second day in a row. The Supervisor said they had subs delivering mail and they had no idea wherre Ed's mail was and they didn't sound like they wanted to find it. We are missing bills (all are automatic pay, but still ...), tax info - have no idea what is missing, and a couple checks we were expecting. My postmistress said to file a missing mail claim on line at USPS. She said they answer those right away. we did - and reported Ed's postoffice/carrier/etc - so we will see what happpens. My postmistress and On line said he would get a response by phne within 24 hours. The Supervisor told Ed they would "flag his mailbox so it wuldn't happen again". I just wonder what exactly THAT would do? DUH! Nothing, I think.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2019 :  11:16:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The thing that bothers me about the postal system is their attitude.
I remember being laughed at, many years ago when I came home to find no mail box at all, no package from my sister, nothing!!! I was almost in tears and that old smart a-- laughed at me! He said it was my problem. He said the college kids love to rope the mail boxes.
Now we have been here for 23 years and I had replaced our mail box, my sons, my neighbors box and another one at least three times. When I complained they said call the sheriff. But I know this when I moved my complaint on up the good chain...someone finally listened. Did they do anything??? Not really, but I know they talked to and reprimanded the local postal employees. At least they did that much.
Have you checked to see if the checks were cashed?
Last year when my hubby finally got ready to do the taxes, my info from teacher retirement was not in the baggie with the others. I sent a letter with my identifying info and they quickly sent me a new one.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2019 :  12:39:38 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
UPDATE TO THE UPDATE: After I sent off the Missing Mail query to USPS.Com, at the suggestion of my postmistress, Ed went to his house and low and behold, a large bundle of mail was in the box. However, we think a neighbor brought it, because it was there before the mailman did his route. So we got the mail, but as far as we know the post office still doesn't know where they left it. They said it was NOT in the PO this morning, sos at least there is a nice neighbor out there. When they call tomorrow, we will tell the USPS all the details. They need to know what their branches are doing and not doing.

Also, if you put mail in your mailbox - misdirected or stamped, they HAVE to pick it up. And they have to make sure it is postmarked that day. Sometimes on a late route our delivery people have to go all the way to Greenville (15 miles away) if they get back to the branch PO after the truck has come to pick up all the mail. That is the rules. I love our branch PO - they are very courteous and conscientious.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2019 :  1:41:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same thing they tell me. The sub left the mail at the wrong address, they will flag the carrier. It takes a while if it's left in another person's box, if they don't put it back in the mail box promptly. I am not renewing my Country Living magazine. I didn't get Nov. Dec. or January issue!!! I ma going to buy it at Wal-mart. They say the same thing everytime I call, they will flag the carrier. It's a 20 mile trip to the post office , so I have not been in person. I got 6 farmgirl swap cards that took 30 days or more this year to get to me and A package that never got here and after 2 months was returned to Winnie, with no postmarks of any kind on it!!! The only thing that has no worries is anything with a tracking label. We find mail in our box late at night long after the mail carrier ran at 3.p.m It's like oh well, too bad. I agree with the president, make it private business!! I have been here at this address for 32 years, never had a year like this one for missing mail and magazines!

Connie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Project Discussions: Previous Topic January~ 2019 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page