Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Learning Together: Infection Control
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Learning Together: Infection Control Next Topic
Page: of 2

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2019 :  12:42:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since the Winter months are often the times when viruses seem to spread with a vengeance, I thought it might be a good idea to talk about infection control and what can we do to protect ourselves. For over 17 years of my 34 years as a registered nurse, I was responsible for Infection Control as it related to patients. However, infection control is an everyday concern for all patient care and one that we all worry about in our homes. So, what are some important and easy ways to keep ourselves and our families healthier when everyone is getting sick?

First of all, infections are basically spread in 3 main ways: Airborne, Droplet, and Contact. What does this mean?

Airborne: Tuberculosis is a common example. The TB droplets, from an infected person, are spread out in the air in tiny droplets that can remain airborne for several hours. Everyone who is in close contact with a sick and coughing person can also be infected over time by breathing the same air in a closed space like a house. There are some other viruses, in the family of serious respiratory illnesses , that are also circulating around today.

Droplet: Droplet contamination is the most common way we pick up colds and Flu. Although the droplets are in the air if someone is coughing or sneezing close by, droplet contamination does not stay airborne, like the first category discussed, but instead falls all over surfaces like tables, door knobs, and other common surfaces. We then, unknowingly, touch these droplets and bring them to our face by eating something with contaminated hands, rubbing our eyes, or rubbing our noses. The droplets are pushed right into our mucous membranes of our eyes, nose or mouth and the viruses are released into a perfect environment to start multiplying.

Contact: Contact isolation occurs when we directly touch a contaminated source, like contaminated blood, and then unknowingly introduce that bacteria or virus into an open space on our bodies, or directly into a mucous membrane. Here is a very common example. The thing we call the stomach flu is always spread hand to mouth and not in the air. How is this? When a person has vomiting and diarrhea, those particles that are not flushed away or washed off hands, spread all over surfaces that we then touch. Again, we get the germs on our hands and then pick up something to eat, rub our eyes or nose and introduce that illness right into our bodies. Handwashing ,by the patient who is sick, is very important to isolate those germs from everyone else. Handling contaminated blood or other body fluids, most often done by healthcare providers, requires gloves to be worn, to protect them from direct contact.

There are, of course more complicated diseases whereby people get very sick that are caused by things like mosquitoes or other vectors like fleas. But for our discussion this month, I am sticking to those illnesses that we all seem to pick up all the time.

What to do?

HANDWASHING! One of the first nursing skills we are taught in school is hand washing. While it sounds simple, you would be amazed at how often people forget to wash their hands. Here is what proper handwashing looks like. The most effective way to get germs off of your hands is with warm water and soap. Any kind of soap will do. The key is to apply friction as you scrub both the palms and the tops of your hands. I was taught that you scrub for an entire verse of the happy birthday song. So, in your mind as you wash your hands, sing that verse and don't stop scrubbing until you finish. It is only about 15-20 seconds but it takes that long to cover all the surfaces with friction. If you have long nails, always use a nail brush to get underneath. Nails are notorious for harboring germs.

Always wash your hands after using the toilet, before eating, before preparing food, after handling dirty stuff like garbage, putting away groceries , or any other task where you have been out in public places where people may be sick and spreading colds and other viruses on common surfaces.

It is not a good idea to ever share drinking glasses or eating utensils with anyone because you cannot know if someone is coming down with an illness and sharing those germs with you. Many illnesses are most contagious before the person actually shows symptoms. So, Grandmothers, don't eat after the grandchildren or share your drinks with them. Or anyone else for that matter.

Alcohol gels that we can keep in our purses are a good way to help clean hands when we cannot use soap and water, but they are not as effective and not a replacement for handwashing. Isn't it funny how a simple old fashioned practice like washing your hands can be our #1 helper for staying well. If we do nothing else, that practice will be very helpful. Once when I my youngest had to be admitted to the hospital for vomiting and diarrhea, I asked the Pediatrician how he was able to see sick kids all day and stay well. He looked at me, smiled, and said. "Good Handwashing!" I've never forgotten his wise advice.

Other important habits like covering our noses and mouths for coughs and sneezes is also critical for keeping those droplets from being in the direct path of someone else or contaminating our surfaces everywhere. As adults, we know about these important practices but children need reminding and encouragement to make these habits automatic.

Today, it was mentioned about staying out of crowded public places when lost of colds and Flu are circulating. This is also important , especially if you have a chronic diseases that leaves your immune system compromised. However, if you cannot avoid crowded places, remember your handwashing, and be careful what you put into your mouth.

As an infection control nurse, I was always on our Centers for Disease Control website: www.cdc.gov If you have not ever visited this site, I encourage you to check it out. It has all kinds of great information and current tracking of Flu in your area as well as other important information. Currently, there has been an outbreak of Measles in Washington State and a few other places so there was lots of good information about what to do, how it all happens and what it means to people who are at risk. There is also lots of great travel information and just about anything that relates to staying healthy. I love this site because it is full of all kinds of interesting topics and it is easy to navigate about.

All of us have learned various ways to stay well and avoid infections. What are some of your go to habits that work for you? Let's share!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2019 :  12:56:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie you have chosen a good and timely subject. I read it all.

When I was raising my son I added original Clorox bleach to dish water during cold & flu season. I specify Clorox because not all bleaches disinfect. The scented versions of Clorox do not disinfect. Read those labels.

For over twenty-five years now I do not shake hands or hug people during cold and flu season. I explain why and most people are not offended. for the few that are offended all I can say is bless their hearts.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6074 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6074 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2019 :  1:49:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Winnie!

Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2019 :  2:20:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Winnie! A wealth of important information!!!
Connie
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2019 :  2:54:04 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Great Info, Winnie! Thank you!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2703 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2703 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2019 :  3:19:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, this is great information! We just heard on the local news that someone from Washington state, who was in the contagious stage of measles, was visiting here in Central Oregon and went to a local swimming pool and some kind of trampoline house. They were waiting on tests but they just confirmed that they were indeed here during the contagious stage. Scary stuff....makes you want to stay home.
Anymore, everytime I have to grab a shopping cart I wonder who had it before and just how clean their hands were. Hopefully those sanitizing wipes really do help. The first thing I do when I home from town is WASH MY HANDS!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9522 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9522 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2019 :  3:58:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Winnie. This is important information and a good reminder this time of year.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2019 :  9:10:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I made some hand sanitizer with alcohol and also vera gel, because our Wal-Mart either does not have it or not it from me.
I use A sanitizing spray, not Lysol. I spray the air, toilet seats, door knobs, faucet handles, etc. I try to do this weekly, but if anyone is sick...I grab the spray. I know it works because I have not been sick in two years and my husband has been sick several times. While I was the director of that daycare, I made the rounds of every room, after everyone was gone, before I went home, spraying every surface a human might touch. Even after the girls said they had sprayed. People said it smelled like a hospital. We never had a tummy bug that made lots of people sick...NEVER. But within the first six months after I was gone, the day care had to be closed for three days because of a tummy bug. One mommy called me one day and asked if anyone had a tummy bug...because her little one was throwing up. I asked, " Did you take her to Wal-Mart and put her in the buggy? " She said, she did and she remembered me telling all of the parents not to do that. Little ones will put the straps in their mouths of even put their mouths on the handle. Of course they put their little hands on the handle, then rub their eyes of suck their fingers. Yuck!!! Essential oils are great disinfecting cleaners as well as when you diffuse them they help clean the air.
Winnie your article is a very good reminder for us all.
Last year while subbing in February I asked for sanitizing spray. They had none!!! But the custodian must have told someone because she came in while the kids were at pe, and sprayed each kids desk.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Feb 01 2019 9:13:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2019 :  9:17:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that kids change classes at a younger age, in public schools, it is a good idea to send your child or grandchild to school with a package of sanitizing wipes so they can clean their desk top and chair back before sitting down. Hadlee and her whole class learned to do this as fourth graders. And how about those computer keyboards, those big headphones, and the touch screens on the tablets they use!

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Feb 01 2019 9:19:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9522 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9522 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2019 :  07:41:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn,
My grand daughters don't share the headphones in their school. They all each get their own set. As well as tablets and computers. No sharing. I think it is due to viruses and the headphones because of lice. I know my daughter send wipes with them in their lunches and backpacks.

I use wipes on the cart handles no matter where I shop and I also wipe down my steering wheel sometimes. When I get home from shopping I wash my hands first thing. Doorknobs and all the rest get done on a regular basis whether during sickness season or not.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2019 :  11:31:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These are all great comments and suggestions on how to limit our exposure to those common viruses that circulate every Winter! One thing I do want to emphasize that if you cannot use wipes or don't have access to them, just remember not to touch anywhere on your face, pick up something to eat, and share food or glassware with others until you have a chance to do a good handwashing. I also recommend that we help young children learn how to properly wash hands and remind older children not to be in such a hurry that they barely get hands wet or only do the 3 second hand wash. Little ones are more susceptible to everything being passed around and they spread it to their families and older people. Which, is another good reason to vaccinate them for Flu virus. I know adults have a lot of issues in general about vaccines, but unless a doctor recommends not to have one, I would recommend people to have one. As older women, we are hit longer and harder from something like Flu because our age predisposes us to more complications and a harder and longer illness. If you look at the death rates of Flu, it shows up in young children, babies, and older persons because we are all more vulnerable. Flu kills by turning into serious pneumonia. I am not trying to tell anyone what to do here, so please don't misunderstand my information on Flu vaccines. This topic is about us all learning together. What we do with the information is personal and up to us and our doctors whom we turn to when we are ill.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9522 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9522 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2019 :  1:18:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Winnie. Our grandchildren have been taught a song that lasts as long as a verse of old MacDonald so they will do a good hand washing. It's a good idea as we always remember what we are taught early on.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2019 :  7:36:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last winter when I walked the fifth graders to lunch, I always told them to clean their hands before going through the line to pick up their trays. As I watched from outside, several were so hungry they by passed the hand sanitizer device. I opened the door and called them back. After three or four days everyone got a thumbs up. They did not forget any more.
When I finish my barn chores I always use the little bottle of sanitizer in the car on my hands as well as the steering wheel...same goes when I take the trash down the lane to the big blue trash can. Not only do I have to grab the trash bags but must lift the lid of the big can.
My hands are so dry right now, from being in water and being washed so much.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9522 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9522 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2019 :  04:14:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn,
I keep a bottle of hand lotion by the sink so my hands keep from getting too dry.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Feb 03 2019 04:14:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2019 :  06:25:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good idea Denise! Thanks.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2019 :  09:24:27 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I need lots of hand lotion in the winter. My hands get very dry.

I currently have a cold or allergies that came back from Florida with me - the two seem to converge every season change, but it is usually allergies. Of course, riding in the convertible rental car with the top down in 55 degree wewather probably didn't help. That was thanks to my DH. I was taking the WalMart equivalent of DayQUil/NiQuil, now Mucinex DX. And also drink Emergen-C. Any other ideas?

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2019 :  09:44:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda I'm so sorry you are dealing with cold/allergies. Spearmint tea with lemon will help relieve symptoms but it's not a cure. I'm a firm believer in keeping feet warm. Many nerves that affect our bodies end up in our feet so it makes sense to me that some of them may react in a negative way to being cold. A shot of good whiskey in coffee or tea is good but should not be taken with prescription meds or over the counter drugs.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2019 :  12:46:23 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I agree about the good hot toddy drink, Sara. LOL! We are getting ready to have natchos with hot sauce, beans and cheese with the Super Bowl. And NO, we are not watching it for the game, but for the commercials. LOL! We've been watching an entire day of NCIS LA so far. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2019 :  5:13:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LInda, the frustrating thing about bad colds is that they just have to run their course ,which is about 7-10 days. All you can do is just treat the symptoms with what works best for you. I think watching the Super Bowl with nachos and a hot toddy sounds like a perfect cold remedy!! LOL!! We watched parts of the game but also flipped to watch a couple of other things as well. There were some cute new commercials, which I always love to see too.

I enjoyed hearing all of the ways some of you shared what you have been doing in your lives for staying well. It is really a testament that important and simple habits can make a big difference. The Farmgirl Wisdom , on this topic, has been great to share so we can all learn from each other. All of us have been doing different things in our lives and finding simple and effective habits to try and stay well. I wish everyone cared as much and tried to limit their exposure to everyone else when they or their kids are sick. Just staying home and getting past being contagious would help everyone!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2019 :  5:27:56 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We didn't watch the whole game - it was so B-O-R-I-N-G!!! And the half-time show was not good, either. We switched back and forth, too. I feel better today, but know I just need it to time itself out.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2019 :  7:42:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, have a cup of hot Dr. Pepper with a lemon sliced up in it. It is my favorite. When I get a cough I make my whiskey, honey and lemon cough meds. A couple of tablespoons at bed time insure a good sleep. And the cough goes to sleep also.
Sleep, sleel, SLEEP! Sleep all night, take naps during the day...sleep is God's healer.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2019 :  5:30:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, I am gonna try your sleep remedy!
Connie
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2019 :  7:07:50 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
LOL! I tried the hot Dr. Pepper and lemon - not a slice, but a squirt. No Dr.Pepper right now here. I like that sleep medicine, too, Marilyn. This is allergies, and at night, once I get settled in bed, I don't cough all night until I get up in the morning. SO I don't need it as a cough medicine. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2019 :  8:54:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My husband's grandmother taught me to make the cough meds. It does help.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9522 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9522 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2019 :  04:18:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, I take a spoonful of elderberry syrup through the winter months to ward of colds and flu. Hot tea with honey and lemon also. Hope you get over it. I start having trouble with allergies when the weather changes.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2703 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2703 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2019 :  09:18:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, my cousin swears by elderberry syrup. Does it taste ok?
My mom has had the cough going around. She sounds better than she did a few days ago. I'm hoping hers doesn't last the 2-3 weeks that everyone else has had. Thank goodness she has been resting.
Marilyn, I'm going to remember the Dr. Pepper tonic!
I found this recipe last winter and we have been using it since then as a warm drink and for when you're feeling puny.

1 cup water, sprinkling of ginger, a couple of cinnamon sticks, a few star anise and some lemon slices studded with some clove....bring to a boil. Add 2 tea bags and steep 2 minutes. Strain everything out. Pour into a mug and add a splash of lemon juice and a bit of apple cider vinegar and honey to taste. Whiskey can also be added.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Learning Together: Infection Control Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page