YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2019 :  08:59:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today is laundry and a wee bit of housekeeping. I like to use the disinfectant wipes so I make my own. One package unscented baby wipes. I layer the wipes 1/4 at a time in an old Huggies baby wipe container. After each layer I add white or apple cider vinegar. I can have the wipes as wet as I want them.

I ordered my groceries a while ago to be delivered tomorrow morning 10-11a.m. I don't want to have to put it up today. So busy cleaning. lol

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9524 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9524 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2019 :  09:21:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did all my laundry yesterday as today they are tearing out the old and putting in a whole new septic system. I guess it's best to start more than the little things new for the year. I have been busy getting my craft/sewing area put to rights.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2019 :  12:28:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara you should try needle felting. It is fun!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2019 :  12:39:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn I may put it on my list of new things I want to do. I've got all my pieces cut out for the sheep applique. Pretty sure I will sew the wool yarn on in rows.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  06:18:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yesterday I said I ordered groceries to be delivered today. This morning I got an e-mail reminding me of the time and that I could add to the order. I did not know that. Nice to know if I order early I can amend order.

It's 56 as I type and a hi of 58 today. This must be the warmup before cool down this weekend. Maybe I'll get the last of the leaves swept off the back deck while it's warmer. It's a losing battle since the leaves keep on coming down.

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  06:36:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today I get to stay home. You have no idea how excited I am to write that! Between our homeschool group and 4H group, as well as church activities and music lessons... oh and doctor appointments, I seem to do a lot of running. I'm trying to rearrange some things so I can do everything in one trip... for example music lessons are every Tuesday morning from 9:30 until 11:30. But then three Tuesdays of the month we have 4H activities at 4:30, and every week they have shooting sports in the evening... So I'm trying to move our music lessons to 2-4 on Tuesday afternoons so it isn't quite as much running around!!!

So what are my plans for today? Well, my house needs a desperate cleaning and I want to finish up some laundry. We will also obviously be working on school, especially continuing our look at Italy (we have a Geography Fair next weekend that we are preparing for, so we are reviewing Italy) and I want to start going over WWII - probably starting with more of an overview for the next two weeks and then go in depth for a month or so. And then the rest of "normal" school like math and english. As far as "for me" stuff, I'd like to also finish wrapping up my fabric. I have the wooden crates from Joanns stacked up on top of each other to hold my fabric... I then wrap my larger yardage on magazine boards to help keep them neat. I need to finish wrapping some up, as I finally bought more boards.

Yesterday was my Sammi's tenth birthday. Half of my children are now in double digits! Brad and I have decided that we are probably done having children, as my health is so poor. Yesterday we took Will to see the ophthalmologist again - and his eye looks better! We were so thrilled! He still has all the same restrictions, but his drops have changed... God is truly working a miracle!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9524 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9524 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  08:44:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon,
You are a busy woman. I remember what it was like when we were home schooling.
So glad to hear Will's eye is healing!
I have been working on cleaning up my sewing area. Getting things put where they belong. So much more relaxing when it is all done. Clearing out the things I don't/ won't use. I did the same with my fabric putting the larger pieces on the boards. So much easier to organize and find.

They finished up with the septic installation. The health dept. came and did the inspection this morning. They just finished filling it all in . I know it will be a muddy mess out there from now until Spring is over but by next year we should have grass again. Keeping my fingers crossed anyway.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  10:37:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hadn't intended today to be cooking day but that's how it turned out. Have chicken thighs in crock-pot for broth. I won't can it but keep in fridge for cooking. Baby bella mushrooms in dehydrator to be used when to make mushroom broth. Four ground Angus beef patties and a small meatloaf in oven. The beef patties will be flash frozen and put in ziplock bag. Meatloaf for supper today and lunch tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  1:53:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MaryJane is posting Badge Awardees today and our own Shannon has done a great job with many different badges and levels. Way to go Shannon! Proud of you.

I'm not into badges but I do like to read about what others are doing.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  2:16:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations Shannon. You amaze me with all you do!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  2:58:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aw thanks ladies! I work on quite a few during the year, but am HORRIBLE about waiting until the beginning of the new year to submit them, lol. I still haven't submitted quite all of the ones I need to, but I have for most of them. Maybe in the next few days I will get caught up.

I still haven't wrapped up all my fabric. I need to go work on laundry, and I'm dragging my feet, lol.

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6075 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6075 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  3:24:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations Shannon.

Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9524 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9524 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  3:32:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations Shannon!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2019 :  06:27:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today my sister Betty and I are going to two estate sales. I would really like to find a vintage apron and pieces of patchwork I can use for my Jubilee projects.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9524 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9524 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2019 :  06:32:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do hope you find what you are looking for Sara. I've never been to an estate sale.
I am headed to take Tybee to the vet for his check up this morning.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2019 :  06:46:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise I like going to estate sales. I like the idea of having something another woman used and loved. I would like to think she would be happy that her things were being used and looked after. My home is filled with estate sales and garage sales finds. My bed is from the 1800s and it came from an estate sale almost 40 years ago.

Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6075 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6075 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2019 :  07:42:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like going to Estate sales when I can, You never know what you’ll find.
I haven’t been to one in awhile.

Have a good hunt!
Hugs
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2704 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2704 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2019 :  07:45:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, I love going to estate sales for the very same reason! Let us know if you find any treasures!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2019 :  08:50:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have enjoyed going to garage/estate sales off and on for years. Taking the grand daughters made it even more fun, as they reached those teen years. But one day a couple of years ago we entered a house on a pretty dead end street...there sat the adult children of the couple who had lived in the house. They were laughing and visiting among themselves, as we and the other public looked thru the items that remained. As we walked back to the car, Had said she felt creepy in that house. I agreed with her. I have never felt that way before or since...and I have no idea who the people were! It may have been because it was inside the house...not in the yard.
My favorite estate sale had every item on long tables in the yard and everything was a quarter! Of course the appliances and furniture were more...$25 for a washer and $25 for the dryer. Everything else big was a!ready gone.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Jan 18 2019 08:53:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2019 :  09:56:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn - I have a difficult time going to estate sales where the family is HAPPILY selling their ancestors favorite possessions. To me, that seems to lack compassion for the one that has passed - like all they were to the family is a source of money.

Have any of you ever gone to a storage unit auction? You bid on the entire storage unit! We went to one in DE and paid $30. In it, towards the back, was a washer and dryer that were brand new! I think there was a dresser and a few other big things in it, and I don't remember what else. It was a great score for us.... but at the same time, I felt really bad for the original owners... did they just not have the money to continue paying for their storage unit? Were they homeless? Had a death occurred? What was their story?

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2019 :  10:58:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know about other states but here in Texas estates aren't settled until after probate court so there is time between the death and actual sale. I would much rather be at a sale with smiling family than sad. After weeks of sorting through and pricing they are worn out and just want it over with. Some estate sales are held by antique dealers so they have no personal connection to the estate and the family may not even be there.

Marilyn every estate sale I have ever gone to has been in the house. I love going through houses especially if they are old or unusual.

I found a crazy quilt pillow at the first sale for $2.

At the second I got 5 satin padded coat hangers for 50 cents each and a heavy duty plastic garden tote for 50 cents. By the time Betty and I had finished looking it was 12:00 noon and everything except furniture was 1/2 price. So my finds were $1.50.

A good day out for just $3.50.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9524 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9524 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2019 :  3:47:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara,
That is the way I feel about finding things. Using things that someone else loved too.
After going through all that with my dad's passing I am glad we didn't have things to sell. I mean I do have a couple of things. His scooter and the like but nothing else personal. JT kept his tools and I kept his instruments. Since he no longer had the house, he had already sorted through so much when we moved him. I donated all his clothes that no one in the family could use.
Many people have to do things through the estate sales but I think it would be hard for me.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2019 :  09:49:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too have mixed feelings about estate sales. It really depends on why it is happening. If someone is just down sizing, then I am OK. If it is because the person has passed and now the kids are just selling all of the belongings before they put the house on the market, it makes me feel funny. All I can think of is that day might be coming closer than I think for my own kids doing the same thing here at home!!! LOL!! My best finds are at antique malls.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2019 :  05:12:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For you have remembered and asked about Pearl on another thread this is what I can tell you. I worked on Chapter VIII of the Rose Rustlers Murders yesterday morning. It's about victim #2. Last time I saw Pearl she, Major her tag-along protector, and the sheriff were walking to their vehicles after viewing the crime scene.

I'm mulling over a one or two page short story about Pearl's detecting adventures to send to whoever would like to read it. Already have the title 'The Egg Basket Mystery', the victim, and the murder or murders - haven't settled on how many killers. Will let you know when I finish it and if interested you can e-mail me and I will send it to you.

It's cold this morning 24 but feels like 17. I wanted to see the Super Wolf Blood Moon but I guess I missed it. Maybe another chance in the morning. Dawn on MJF keeps us up on what's happening in the skies. FarmGirls have such varied interest and knowledge that I have learned much from them.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9524 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9524 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2019 :  05:36:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara the super moon will be on Monday the 21st so you haven't missed it. I am hoping we have clear skies to see it.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Project Discussions: Previous Topic January~ 2019 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly