violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
871 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2019 :  3:08:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love the mockingbird story :)! Our Hummers will come and find me in the house if their feeder is empty!! The second year we were in our house, April 10th I was out working in the garden, and I had a hummer come right up to my face, as the feeders were not out yet! Now I have them out about a week before the 10th of April. They are always here on the 10th!! Just like clockwork :)! We feed the birds, sunflower seed and suet!! Have one heated birdbath, when it's cold, there is a line waiting for it! Love our feathered friends!!

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2019 :  5:02:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, love your Mocking bird story!! I too love birds and very much enjoy the ones who come to our backyard feeders. I even have a CrowFriend who comes to see me about once a week. He came the other day, sat on the branch he always does, and called me until I came out and sat on the porch. While I was "talking to him" and wishing him a Happy New Year, he did the coolest thing. As I spoke, he began to stretch one leg, then the other, then the wings, and then he nodded his head up and down and did the very soft sort of cooing. This was the first time I have ever gotten such a response from him and have no idea what it means. Maybe it has nothing to do with me? Anyway, it was so fun and I was so excited to be there "in conversation" with him. Then in a flash, he took off! Hehe, I love my Crow Friend!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2019 :  5:06:35 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That's 2 neat stories, Ruth and Winnie.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2019 :  5:13:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ladies I'm so happy that you talk to critters too!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2019 :  5:20:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When a sprinkler is going on the front yard, summer time,it is so funny to watch the birds take a bath and play in the sprinkler, just like kids. Kids don't preen... But birdies certain!y do.
It takes a special person to commune with God's critters. I feel blessed to be in this group! May God bless the Scattered Prarie Farm girl sisters!

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Jan 05 2019 5:26:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2019 :  05:53:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda and Ruth, I didn't know that about Hummingbirds. Didn't know they knew where their food was coming from and they showed up the same time every year.

Winnie, my older sister told me crows are one of the smartest birds. Looks like you have one that wants to visit with you.

Marilyn it would be fun to watch birds playing in the sprinklers. I have watched them take a dirt bath.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6074 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6074 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2019 :  07:53:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These bird stories are so wonderful! I have birds come to my yard and love watching them. All kinds so adorable, the Robins came and went in December and I did see one in the tree the other day. It is right out my front window. The hummingbird are the most fun to watch.

Thank you all for who you are!
I love you all

Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2019 :  06:34:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yesterday, Crow Friend and some pals showed up at the same time and I was able to toss out a hand full of unsalted peanuts in their shells. I sat back on the porch and my CrowFriend bird swooped right down and as soon as the other two saw that their were treats, they came down as well. Everyone got a peanut and flew away to eat. Then a few minutes later, they came again and I threw out the last of my peanut stash. CrowFriend put one in his craw and took a second before flying away and another did the same. Hubby went to the store on his way to the gym for.........yep, another bag of peanuts!! LOL!!! I will let you know if they show up this afternoon for more treats. Hehehe, at the Log Cabin, instead of afternoon tea, we are having afternoon peanuts!! LOL!!!!! Quite fitting for a Cabin don't you think?

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2019 :  06:58:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie love it - just love it. I can see you and Crow Friend sharing the sunshine. BTW Crow Friend is a neat name.

For the last couple of days I have sat on the back deck when it's warm enough. Annie thinks I'm there to play with her. The sideporch and frontporch are too cold to sit because they both are covered and the sideporch is in the shade of two large oak trees. Shade is welcomed in the summer but too cold in winter.

Worked a little on the Rose Rustlers this morning. First time in a long time that the fog of MS has lifted so I can sit at my laptop and write. I would like to finish this chapter while my days are good.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2019 :  07:02:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't remember ever seeing a robin around here, Darlene. We have little fat wrens, crows and cardinals. We used to have bluejays...They are mean!!! Sometimes I hear a woodpecker. We have seen Painted Buntings at least I think that is what they are called. One day we got to see one up close because it was drinking from the dog pan by the old garage. They are strikingly beautiful, so colorful! Then we have humming birds of course. Sometimes on a summer evening we hear mocking birds.

Winnie when I was four we lived near the Texas/New Mexico line. On Saturday morning daddy would drive us into town to get groceries and frozen things from the locker box they had rented. (before home freezers) When we returned home mother would cook lunch and roast peanuts. I still love that smell. Anyway, as soon as the peanuts were ready we were eating them while daddy listened to the Baylor Bears football game on the radio, which he turned up pretty loud so he could hear over his three noisy little kids. His nephew was playing and he delighted in hearing the announcer mention his name!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6074 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6074 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2019 :  5:41:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Robins here seem to only be around for a little bit and then they go off somewhere else.they must be getting a lot of food in the yard and play in any water puddles around, they are fun to watch.

The starlings are around all the time. Kind of a bothersome bunch.

Hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2019 :  6:21:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A mass of birds live in town. They may be starlings. They sit on the power lines along the main drag,near several restaurants. When they move, it looks like a huge black cloud. Once they came here, I was very upset...They are so noisy and poopey. I got in my car and honked and honked the horn, then I got out and screamed at them and waved various things around, more honking, and more...finally they got tired of my noise??? But finally they left! At the time it seemed to take forever but was less than twenty minutes. I hope they never come back.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9524 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9524 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2019 :  08:00:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn,
We have tons of blackbirds here that fly from tree to tree and field to field by the hundreds. They are very noisy and when they are flying it is all dark overhead. Sometimes they land in the front yard and back filling the yard and pasture area. I feel like I am in that movie The Birds when they do that! Someone told me the ones here are called Grackles. But we don't see them during harvest and that is when the Grackles do a lot of damage so I don't really know what they are. Starlings aren't around here to much anymore for some reason but we used to get them in the garage making nests. I need to go put my suet and feed refills out today.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2019 :  09:24:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know what kind those that came were, but I did not enjoy their visit.
At the school where I used to teach, there were small birds that built mud nests all over the entrance to the High School football stadium. What a mess!!!
Well guess what some make nests on the rock walls of my son's house, up high...Then they hatch babies and dive bomb anyone who enters or leaves the front of back door.
I guess my daughter in law gave up. Now some time each winter, on a warm day they hose them down, scrub the white rock...and in a few months the birds are back.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9524 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9524 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2019 :  09:47:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I worked at the little local gift shop we had those that would make those mud nests under the eaves of the porch entrance. It was messy back there but we always enjoyed seeing the babies hatch.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2019 :  11:34:50 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Just FYI I am on vacation and will may not be on much. Have fun farm sisters.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9524 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9524 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2019 :  11:39:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Enjoy your vacation Linda! Soak up all that sunshine!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2019 :  05:12:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw my mystery bird the other evening. I was in my living room and Annie ran to the window and started barking and she was looking up. It was a large black bird with a head and beak like a hawk but larger than other hawks I have seen. I know buzzards and it wasn't one of them. I looked hawks up in my two bird books and on-line but didn't see a black hawk. If there are not black hawks then what could it be? By it's beak I could tell it was a bird of prey.

The other mystery is how did Annie know it was flying around the side yard? She knew before she ran to the window.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9524 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9524 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2019 :  09:05:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know some blackbirds can be quite large but I don't know that any are as big as a hawk. Would be interesting to find out what it is.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2019 :  05:44:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finished bee skep with crow wool applique this week. It's hanging in my pie safe. I have a new wool applique I hope to start sometime this week. Last year on MJF I hosted a give-away on What are you Fermenting thread. Jill 'Jillyd' won it. At the time she said she wanted to share her wool yarn with me when she had enough to send. A couple of weeks ago I received her sweet gift of two skeins of her home-spun yarn. One white - the other green.

I want to do a wool applique with one large sheep on a background of dark blue green like you see in vintage British pictures. I ordered the wool and sheep pattern. The completed piece will be 20 1/2" X 15". The sheep will be 11" X 7". The sheep will be wool with Jill's home-spun yarn. Not sure how I am going to attach the yarn but when I start working on it I should find a way. Any suggestions?

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9524 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9524 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2019 :  06:09:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara,
I still haven't ventured in to wool applique but it is something I would like to learn. Maybe this year once I finish some ufos.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6074 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6074 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2019 :  09:06:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn those sound like those birds are swallows, we have those here once a year on their migration to where they go next. They stop in the same places every year. They are very messy birds.

Hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2019 :  1:40:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara could you needle felt the yarn to the wool background, using the barbed needle felting needles???

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2019 :  1:49:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know, Marilyn. I've never needle felted. There's a FarmGirl on FJF who does and makes the most beautiful animals. I don't recall her name. Will look into it. Thanks.

My only thought has been to cut yarn in yet to be determined lengths and stitch to the wool and let it hang. The length of the yarn would determine how many rows. I've seen vintage pictures of really shaggy sheep. I can do shaggy.

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2019 :  5:36:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Needle felting is fun. I have done people and animals.
We have 5 bird feeders out our bedroom window. Great bird watching. Piles tend woodpeckers, downy woodpeckers, hairy woodpeckers, blue jays, chickadees, sparrows, purple finches an two kinds of nuthatches. Always somebody stopping to eat along with two or three squirrels.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Project Discussions: Previous Topic January~ 2019 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page