Page: of 10

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2019 :  9:43:08 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Wonderful small-space coompost idea, Sara. It would be easy to keep up.
And I love WInnie's small log cabin. Such a good idea.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2019 :  03:39:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks all. I posted on MJF about my container composting last fall when I had my raised beds built. Someone from MJF must have read it and kept it in mind. All of the containers have dropped several inches so something must be going on. Should know how well it works come spring.

Raining here - 40 degrees but it feels like 33. I've already placed my order for home delivery. 10-11a.m. So glad I'm not the one who has to get out in this cold wet weather.

Linda have fun on your cruise. Good time to be in warmer climate.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9524 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9524 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2019 :  06:00:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haven't received my issue yet. Hoping it arrives soon.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2019 :  11:45:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats! to Sara and Winnie! I would like to see more articles in MJF Magazine about what inspires farmgirls! and how they pass that inspiration on to each other!

Marilyn, I still have this From New year's 2017 on my fridge! It's a great reminder!

Connie

Edited by - Killarney on Jan 03 2019 11:46:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2019 :  11:47:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, It's soggy here too! I'm glad it was rain and not snow!

Connie
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6074 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6074 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2019 :  2:01:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Linda! It was a nice New Years Eve for me too, I got to spend it with my granddaughters.
Hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6074 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6074 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2019 :  2:14:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah does any one like to make roasted glazed nuts? I have a post on the barter post with one on it, just letting you know.
Hugs
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2019 :  2:41:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We finally got up to 33°, then 34°...Then the ice bombs began to fall! Quite noisy, scared my most handsome roo! He took off running. We only have 15 trees around our yard so we had ice showers to dodge. Most has fallen now. I am thankful for no loss of power! I'm also thankful that we are not in the dairy business now. We drove to Comanche this afternoon and passed some cows waiting to be milked...muddy ground all around. It certainly brought back memories!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6074 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6074 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2019 :  10:36:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow are the ice bombs when it starts falling from the trees? Wow, poor roosters!
Be careful out there!
Hugs and love everyone,
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2019 :  4:12:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This afternoon, I got busy cleaning out various closets and filling up boxes of clothes, kitchen odds and ends no longer used or needed, and just things that have been accumulating over time (years!) that need to move on. First thing tomorrow I am off to drop off 4 boxes Each Christmas season, I also find things that are no longer necessary and add those to a box to go out. At the same time, it is a chance to throw out old used items that are only worthy of the trash!!! It is so easy to turn a blind eye to clearing out regularly, but I find the Christmas clean up always motivates me to get busy. It also helped to have a couple of large boxes to fill up. Plus, early Spring brings our local Friends of the Library sale so I have been gathering old books and nice magazines from 2018 to drop off as well. Anyone else doing the same clean out? After I am finished, I am so glad to have it all done as things are neater. That is especially true of the kitchen. I don't have a huge amount of cabinet space and each year I end up getting one or two things. Then Presto, everything is cluttered up!! LOL@!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2019 :  4:33:05 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You are motivating me, Winnie. But with cruise quickly approaching I will have to do this after we get back. I still have many boxes from my complete move to this house in the garage. Might just donate since we can’t seem to find time for a garage sale. We need one at Ed’s house, too. I will do this when I get back.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
871 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2019 :  4:45:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, I am thinking about cleaning out, but have yet the get our Christmas stuff in the basement :(! It's ready to go down, but I have not had the time to do it yet! Hopefully after this month of eye surgeries, and Dave's carotid surgery, life will settle down some! We have to drive 2 hours each way for most doctor's appointments, which pretty much eats up a day, and my energy as I am the driver most of the time!
But, you sure are nudging me in that direction :)! I always seem to get in the clean up, throw out (donate) mood right after Christmas every year :)!

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9524 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9524 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2019 :  5:43:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel the same way after Christmas. I keep things in tubs in the basement but this year I'm changing things around and they will be stored upstairs.
When we packed everything away this year I don't know what happened bit I ended up with an extra empty tub. Maybe just getting better at packing it all up but it made me happy to be putting in away in a less amount of storage tubs. I go through every year and downsize but didn't do that this year.
I will be working on more house projects so lots of things will be moving out of here to new homes. Mostly donating. It feels good to have less to take care of and I am looking forward to getting my house in order this year.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jan 04 2019 5:47:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2019 :  6:13:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Darlene, I just call them ice bombs, they were falling fast...and it is noisy!!! I think the ice is so heavy on the tree branches that as it begins to melt, the branch springs back and the movement sends hundreds of ice tubes(bombs) to the ground. We have 15 trees around our yard, some are huge, and three are young trees about 15' tall, so it took several hours. Today Mr. Sunshine came to play, it was so nice!!! Thank you God.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2019 :  05:32:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Birds are singing outside my window - can spring be too far behind? The other night Annie caught a baby bird that was on the ground drinking rain water. Annie opened her mouth and the baby bird flew out unharmed. Didn't even have it's tail feathers but it could fly well enough to make it to a tree. I forget sometimes how much life goes on in the wild even in the cold of winter.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2019 :  06:50:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm glad Annie did not snap down on the baby and hurt it.
I saw about a dozen cardinals gathered on top of the Nankin pen last night. They were talking in birdie language. Most were females. I think they are enjoying the scratch too!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2019 :  07:36:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cardinals are my second favorite bird. Mockingbirds have been my favorite for as long as I can remember.

Marilyn when I had chickens the birds loved to eat their food. When I put out hard boiled eggshells for my chickens the birds would come along behind them and eat too. Never had a chicken to eat their own eggs. I had heard don't give chickens eggshells or they would eat their eggs.

Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6074 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6074 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2019 :  07:40:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boy I bet it is pretty to see that Marilyn!
Sara I bet that little birds heart was really beating hard after that experience!
Denise I have a lot of things I want to clear out too, just have to have energy to do it!
It is going to be a busy year

Well have a good day!
Hugs
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2019 :  07:56:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right now my hens are laying good eggs with good shells, and the shells are going into the raised beds.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2019 :  08:01:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Darlene.

One more bird story. In the house I lived in before moving to Paris I fed mockingbirds cornmeal mixed with peanut butter. I put it on old minnow buckets I had hanging on the carport eave. One mockingbird took a liking to it and was not afraid of me. When he heard me call the cats or dogs in he would come too. Perched on his bucket he would wait for me to go in the house and come back out with his food. Several times he even came to the door looking to be fed.

One day I was up the hill at my neighbor's when a mockingbird flew to a nearby tree. I told her if he was my mockingbird he would follow me home. I told her goodbye and walked home. The mockingbird beat me there and was waiting to be fed. He hung around for a couple of years and than one day he wasn't there anymore.

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2019 :  08:37:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning everyone :) Winnie, I too enjoy getting rid of and cleaning out things when I put way my Christmas decorations. I still have a couple weeks before I will be doing that though, as everything stays up until after the 16th.

Sara I love your bird stories! Especially your last one with the mockingbird <3

Marilyn - my chickens are doing horrible laying, but considering we have a foot of snow on the ground and have been in the negatives, I cant really blame them, hahaha

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9524 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9524 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2019 :  10:18:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, I enjoy your bird stories. I think it's awesome that you had a bird who would come to be fed. He knew how the drill worked and was smart enough to join in.
We give our hens oyster shells with their scratch feed to help with the egg shells. I've never fed mine the eggshells. Just never thought of it. Oyster shells were always what my dad told us to do.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jan 05 2019 10:20:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2019 :  11:56:49 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Birds are interesting - my cousin had humming birds who built a nest in her patio overhang every year. If their feeder was empty, and they could see her in the kitchen, they would come to her kitchen window and hover there until she came out and filled it. Then immediately they would go and feed.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2019 :  12:44:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara I love your mocking bird story!
Linda, what a sweet humming bird story.
I love to watch the birds. When the girls were young we would move our Christmas tree, still in its stand, out side.. ..and decorate it with bird treats. Some years it was there through February, or until my son came to take it to the burn pile. Our birds are well fed now because there is always scratch and crumbles as well as water avaliable.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9524 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9524 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2019 :  12:47:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We used to do that with our tree too Marilyn. But now we keep some many other things out for them. And our tree is a fake one.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Project Discussions: Previous Topic January~ 2019 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly