Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 What are you working on 2018!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic What are you working on 2018! Next Topic
Page: of 6

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2018 :  1:15:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, what a cute dress. I love Winnie the Pooh!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2018 :  9:02:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Carole! I have fallen in love with my sewing machine all over again!

Connie
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2018 :  4:49:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, Lily June's dress is precious!! The fabric is just darling and I bet she will enjoy wearing it too!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2018 :  7:55:24 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
So glad you are sewing again, Connie. To me, sewing is relaxing. Lately I haven't had much sewing time, though. LOL! I have several quilting projects and smaller projects lined up to do.

Ed and I have torn out his old bathroom and now need to redo the plumbing and electrical, we have hired someone to tile-in a walk-in shower and do the floor, and then need to put white beadboard paneling on the ceiling and walls.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2018 :  06:08:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie - LOVE that dress! What pattern is that? I think Emi would enjoy some dresses in that style!

Took Jenni to urgent care yesterday... She has a rash that looked suspiciously like the measles. I'm having a procedure on Friday, so I needed to know what I was dealing with... they say it is a viral rash... they agree it looks like the measles but because it didn't start on her face, it isn't the measles!?!? Whatever it is, it doesn't seem to be bothering her at all!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2018 :  08:22:23 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Nice quilts, Carole.
Great dress, Connie. Love the fabric.
Nice organizational pages, Denise.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Jul 11 2018 08:22:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2018 :  4:09:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got my stitches out today and I am hoping to start some simple embroidery projects and maybe try and finish the shawl that I started in January!! My thumb is very stiff and still painful when I push against it with an object or other finger, but I am sure this will go away as it completes the healing process. I am itching to get some pretty yarn for Fall and start something new!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9527 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9527 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2018 :  06:09:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, So glad your thumb is healing.

I am in the process of gathering supplies for a quilt for the new grandson. Crossing my fingers I get time to finish it before he arrives

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9527 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9527 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2018 :  5:34:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have accomplished quite a bit on the quilt. Top is together and I have it in the frame and have been working on the quilting. Seems to be going along quickly. I am very happy with the way it is coming out.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2018 :  8:19:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am making Bible covers for Alaskan students at a church sponsored school. This month is busy. State fair, canning etc.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2018 :  07:52:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bonnie what a great project.

I've been inspired by Carole's wool/felt applique work so today I ordered a book from Amazon that has full size patterns and instructions. When I'm ready to make something I can also buy the wool/felt on Amazon too.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2018 :  12:21:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonderful Bonnie!
Connie
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2018 :  3:45:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, would love to know what your next project will be. Myself, I’m still working on the Modern Building block quilt. I have a gazillion 6” blocks to piece!

Carole

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Jul 29 2018 05:49:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2018 :  4:07:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, the book should be here on Sunday. In a week's time I should be able to pick out a simple pattern for my first project. Then it's ordering the felt. Colors will be fall colors - will just have to know how much of each color to order,

Looking forward to seeing your new quilt.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9527 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9527 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2018 :  4:49:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, that sounds great, having a book with the patterns included. Powers out just now so no quilting.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2018 :  6:50:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, our Baylee loves Pooh and sunflowers. When she was two I came across some fleece in Pooh's golden yellow color, and looked for a picture to sketch from. Her Pooh pallet ended up being over five feet tall. He was once a rug in front of her youth bed where all of my teddy bears went when they moved in their new home when she was six and Had was three...a very long time ago.Her wedding flowers were sunflowers and roses. And she recently talked about Pooh, saying she has always loved him. I know Lily June loves her new dress and you babe her pockets! Every child loves pockets and little bags to stash their stuff in.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2018 :  6:52:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TexasGran

Connie, our Baylee loves Pooh and sunflowers. When she was two I came across some fleece in Pooh's golden yellow color, and looked for a picture to sketch from. Her Pooh pallet ended up being over five feet tall. He was once a rug in front of her youth bed where all of my teddy bears went when they moved in their new home when she was six and Had was three...a very long time ago.Her wedding flowers were sunflowers and roses. And she recently talked about Pooh, saying she has always loved him. I know Lily June loves her new dress and you gave her pockets! Every child loves pockets and little bags to stash their stuff in.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2018 :  09:04:30 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Everybody is busy. That's great. In between the remodeling at Ed's house, I've been working on some exchange blocks for quilt guild. Since I am out of town a lot I have been making 2-3 of the blocks each month to work ahead. Many are typical block designs and do not need a pattern.

We have an exchange going on - we pick a pattern and color choices and there are 18 of us so we each make one for each other. I chose Broken Sugar Bowl from quilterscache.com and provided the white background fabric and asked for red fabrics. Every month we show the block we made and exchange with someone else. I love the blocks they are making, and one friend is making 3 because I made 3 for her. Can't wait to get the blocks and make the quilt.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2018 :  06:59:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The book arrived yesterday and I have narrowed my choice for first project down to three.

Question for Carole. What about me starting out using felt instead of wool to learn on? I'm thinking about the cost.

Yesterday I ordered the colors of embroidery floss the author suggested and also colors I like - shades of orange and copper reds.

I don't do well with following printed instructions but I find this book easy to follow and the patterns and pictures are great.

"Wool Applique Folk Art" by Rebekah L. Smith

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2018 :  07:12:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, could you tell me what the name of the book is? (E-mail it to me please) I would suggest wool to start with. Once I know/see the project I will be in a better position to offer guidance. Since I haven’t been as productive as my usual self (lots going on) I’ve been racking my brain about blog post subject. I’m thinking perhaps I ought to do a blog post on how I prep for wool projects. Thanks for the inspiration Sara! Xox

Carole

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2018 :  07:34:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Wool Applique Folk Art" by Rebekah L. Smith.

pg 36 blackbird

pg 50 sewing caddy

pg 76 hanging bag for papers

Carole, Prepping wool will be a good subject for you blog.

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2018 :  11:17:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It took a week! but got my quilt hung up. I will take it down every two weeks, get the dust off. I wanted to keep it out so I can see it. No use putting it back in another drawer!! It's been in one for decades! I can see it from my chair where I do all my reading. I remember some of these fabric scraps from aprons and dresses that my Great-Granny and my Granny wore and my Great Aunt Mattie. I so appreciate the work that went into it. I marvel at it every time I see it.

Hugs! Connie
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9527 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9527 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2018 :  11:48:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie,
How big is your quilt? We have one made by JT's great grandma and we use it in our bed. .They were well made. This one has gone through many washing and still looks great! I love using things made by our grandmothers

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jul 29 2018 11:48:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2018 :  11:49:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, such a lovely quilt. Indeed, no need to keep it in a drawer. Quilts are made to be used. There is so much love and memories in quilts! Do make sure it is not in direct sun light.

You can even hang it on the back of a chair as an accent piece. I have a small one on the back of a rocking chair.

The cushion on the chair was hand appliqued by my maternal grandmother. I love that cushion.

I don't take my quilts down often to dust. Actually, I dust them approximately every six (6) months or so. I think the one in the kitchen I did about six months ago and it hadn't been done in years! Oups! It was my intention to change quilts with the season, but for some unknown reasons ... I stopped.

Oh well, in my next house ... This was actually my second hand applique piece. I love hand work!

Catch you all later!

Carole

Edited by - ceridwen on Jul 29 2018 11:51:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2018 :  1:35:39 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
One of my quilt guild members is a teacher/designer of wool felt projects and quilts. She lives just about 25 miles from me. Her name is Trish Stuart.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Project Discussions: Previous Topic What are you working on 2018! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page