Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Sitting by a warm fire with friends - January 2017
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Sitting by a warm fire with friends - January 2017 Next Topic
Page: of 10

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2017 :  07:32:43 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Today we are off to a small former Copper mine town called Jerome. It is now a ghost town with a lot to see. At one time they had a population of 12,000, now it is about 450. Then we are off to Prescott Arizona, on our way to Gilbert Arizona. We will be staying With a high school friend of mine for four days. We are looking forward to the visit. Loving the vacation so far.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2017 :  07:50:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your landscape is very different from the east Texas landscape, is it not!
Can you tell any difference in your joints, or aches? I have been told over the years that people with arthritis fare much better in the dry Arizona and California desert climate. Of course this year is unusual with the rains.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2017 :  07:58:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, Do you think her grandmother was referring to Sunday as the Lord's day, a day of rest? Do you remember Blue Laws? I think, early 1960s era. If they tried to bring them back, people might act like all the other protestors...going a bit nuts, because they would not be able to shop on Sundays.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2017 :  08:11:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, I'm sure it was because the Lord's Day being a day of rest. Growing up in the 40s playing cards or dominoes on Sundays were frown upon. I guess the only blue law left is no beer or wine to be sold before noon and no whiskey on Sundays.

Chick-filet and Hobby Lobby are two large chains which observes Sunday as a day of rest and do not open.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9579 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9579 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2017 :  08:12:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember the Blue Law. In fact, it stayed in place in Virginia until the late 80's. They changed it right before we were moved to our next duty station. It never really seemed to bother people back then that stores weren't open on Sunday.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sweettea59
True Blue Farmgirl

1272 Posts

Sherry
Longview Texas
USA
1272 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2017 :  11:26:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone, I have been doing lots of listening(reading) this month here on the forum. Sara I love the way you put that it is like sitting around the kitchen table and just visiting. There sure has been a lot of things going on.
Linda I hope you are having a wonderful vacation. Sounds like beautiful county out there. New Mexico is as far west as I have been.
Last weekend I did have a wonderful visit with Julie and her husband. We toured a local winery and did lots of visiting and a little shopping. Will see them again on Friday at Canton ( a very large flea market ) before they head home. Wonderful people. It's always fun to meet a farmgirl in person. I have to say I've been lucky to have met 4 so far. And all such wonderful people and my hubby says the same thing when he talks of any of you.
I have been doing a lot of reading on here and I am so sorry for your lose Brenda, you know you are in my thoughts and prayers. Alicia, you too have been on my mind with your grandparents, and Shannon I hope all is getting better with you and your family. Bonnie thinking of you and your hubby, get well soon. I know all of this because it has been hard with losing my dad in November and I think I just needed some time to think about all of it but my family has kept me busy and now taking care of my mothers needs. Some times you just don't get to stop and rest a minute. But I'm trying to take a little time for me. but I have missed you girls a lot so trying to catch up with what is going on here with everyone. I'm still here just sitting back and listening. Take care everyone and know you are always on my mind. Big Hugs

Farmgirl Hugs & May all your Wishes come true.
Sherry
Farmgirl #2215
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

420 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
420 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2017 :  11:39:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for all the prayers and kind words of encourage from each of you. It has been a difficult last 6 months, but things are getting better. I have been thinking of all the things each of are going through. My prayers are still going out for all of you. Even those that don't seem to have anything pressing going on for now. Thank You again!

I remember as a child when my parents wouldn't let us go and play with the neighbor kids on Sundays because it was a day for family. Dinner and rest after church. Afternoon TV movies when the weather was bad or we went to visit family on Sundays. Also, there was the famous Sunday afternoon drive. It was a quiet and peaceful time. Loved it. We did just fine not shopping on Sundays. Still don't shop on Sundays unless something unusual comes up.

Remember when all the TV stations went off the air at midnight at the latest. I miss getting up and turning the dial to another station. It sure was a lot easier to pick something to watch. Now days ugh! I just give up and find something else to do. LOL! I should thank the TV stations for the awful reality shows and constant reruns of shows and movies they broadcast.

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

Each day we add to our legacy-good or bad. Our Daily Bread

Edited by - Lavender Rose on Jan 29 2017 11:45:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2017 :  12:15:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Enjoy your vacation. Linda! It is always fun to explore new places and learn about them. When I was growing up, none of the stores were open on Sunday. It seemed weird when that started to change. Since my Dad played the organ at church, Sunday's were always about going to church and having a non-agenda afternoon. One favorite memory I had was that since we always had our main meal after church, my Mom would often make popcorn for dinner. It was a huge treat for all of us because we didn't have popcorn frequently.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2017 :  1:46:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, I love the sound of a flute!! Do it!! Wow! your a one woman band!! I'm sure You know playing a musical Instrument of any kind is great for the Soul and the Brain! My Neuro, Dr. encouraged me to keep playing the Piano when ever I can, because of the plaques in my Brain from MS. There is also research that playing can ward off Dementia!

Connie
Imagine....#3392

Edited by - Killarney on Jan 29 2017 3:50:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2017 :  1:57:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, I'm not musical but one of my doctors told me to play word games to help keep me sharp. Each day I do crossword puzzles and play Spider Solitaire and Mahjong Epic on the computer. On the days Mahjong is hard for me and I'm slower than usual I know it's a day I need to stay home and not drive.

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2017 :  3:50:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, that's great! I try and do crosswords too and I know what you mean, I pick and choose what I do according to what the MOnster(MS) is doing to me that day!! Big hug!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2017 :  3:59:45 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I got the flute! I will post a picture when I get to my friends house in a couple hours. It sounds so relaxing and soothing. The lower toned ones had holes too large for my fingers so I got an f# and it is good. I may get another if I really like it, but at +\- $200 each one was enuf for now. Lol. I also got some pottery. Pics later.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2017 :  4:17:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So glad you got the flute, Linda.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2017 :  4:18:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's cool Linda.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2017 :  10:55:22 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I love crossword puzzles, word games and the like. I have 20+ Words with Friends games going at any given time.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6089 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6089 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2017 :  12:38:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda
That really keeps your brain busy doesn't. it. Fun too!

I bet your flute is nice!

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9579 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9579 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2017 :  1:07:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's the little things today. Took dad to the eye doctor and all is well there. He goes every 4 months. He mentioned the growth on dad's nose, which we already know is skin cancer. He will go to a dermatologist on the 20th to talk about getting it removed. This is the 4th one on his face in about 20yrs. I thought it was odd that neither his primary nor any of his doctors mentioned it before and now they both do. It has been there for about a year and a half. Everytime I wanted to bring it up dad would say not to worry about it.
But today I am grateful for a good appt. with his eye. He only has sight in one.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2017 :  3:59:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, I'm happy for your dad that his eye appointment was good.

I finished my three mini aprons today and hung them with teeny clothespins between the cinnamon sticks on the top banner. Sometime this week I hope to start the mini tea towels to hang on the bottom banner between more cinnamon sticks. The banners are in my china cabinet.

Tomorrow my sister, Bobbie, and I are going to the new quilt shop to feel the fabric. I also want to check out their classes.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2017 :  4:40:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, what fun you must have with a sister near, who likes to do the same things you do.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2017 :  4:45:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't realize both of you, Sarah and Connie, have MS! They thought I did when I was in my early 20s. I had plaques on my optical nerves and lost vision for a time, had a neurogenic bladder for awhile, and also spent time in a wheelchair due to not being able to move anything below my hips. I actually graduated with my second degree - BS in Biology/PreMed while in the wheelchair, though at that point, I was able to use a walker some. In fact, Brad and my first wedding, I was in a wheelchair! After getting pregnant, I have not had any other issues!!! Not like that anyways! I know they have debated using pregnancy hormones as a treatment. But honestly, I have not had any more issues since then! I do have fibromyalgia though, and I wonder if it might actually be connected. My favorite game right now is sudoku. I've gotten fairly good at playing it on my hone and on the computer. And of course I research stuff to teach the kids all. the. time!

Linda - I am looking forward to seeing your flute! My word they cost a pretty penny, but what a treasure!!!

Denise - I am so thankful your dad had a good visit at the eye doctor today!!! Is his cough better??? Are you and JT fully recovered? Sorry to hear about the skin cancer! My mom has to get checked every six months due to having skin cancer a few years ago. Sadly, she cannot tell me what kind it was, because I would love to be able to add it to my family history, more specifically!!!

Winnie - question for you... What are the side effects of CO poisoning? I am still exhausted and seem forgetful. I fatigue so easily right now!!! It could be emotionally linked with everything going on, but was wondering if you knew. THis is one thing I never dealt with as an RN!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2017 :  5:12:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ladies, my husband recently had a rough spot behind his left ear begin to itch. I kept telling him to go get it removed. After about six months I guess he got worried. He has had skin cancer twice before. He asked me to order a little jar of black stuff. About $50 worth. The roofer who roofs all of the homes our son builds, had given my son a phone number, because he had ordered this stuff and used it on a place on his chest about six years ago. So it came, and he put some on the spot. Next day he asked me to look at it and since he had washed it off, I put more on it. After day four he asked me to call and ask some question. I did and a very nice man carefully explained to me what my husband was asking about. Turns out we had treated four times and you should only treat three times...but the cancer came out, the hole filled in and now you can not even see where the cancer was. It did continue to itch for a couple of weeks, but then after it was all healed up, the itching stopped.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Jan 30 2017 5:21:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9579 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9579 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2017 :  5:21:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara,
Any chance we could see a photo of your mini tea towels. I have done the mini aprons for swaps but need to make some for myself! Never have heard of or seen any tea towels made in minis.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2017 :  5:46:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise I don't post pictures. Haven't gotten the hang of it. I haven't seen or made the mini tea towels. I just thought it up and wanted to give it a try. Thinking I might cut them out of an old flour sack tea towel and embroider simple pattern on them. Could also sew on wee fabric patches. I won't know until I cut the tea towel out and start to decorate them. That's pretty much how I create things.

Measurements will be appox 3" X 5" - will have to cut one out and iron the top, bottom, and side hems to see what size I end up with.

If I do some patches I may put them on calico fabric. A mix of white and print towels may be the way to go.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9579 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9579 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2017 :  6:02:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How cute they sound! Might have to give that a try. Won't they look sweet hanging up? Love the idea of embroidering a little something on them.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2017 :  6:13:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been thinking Denise and if I do embroider a design I will draw the towels on the flour sack and embroider before cutting them out. That makes sense to me. What do you think?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Sitting by a warm fire with friends - January 2017 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page