Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Science: Shake Rattle and Roll
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Science: Shake Rattle and Roll Next Topic  

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2017 :  08:23:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ladies, I don't know if you are interested, but I have been fascinated with earthquakes and volcanos for a long time. Having a cousin near Palm Springs, Calif. as well as Darlene in Loletta, Calif. and friends and relatives there also...well I began to search. With a tablet you can easily access web sites that provide info.
Our crazy weather, along with the nuclear disaster in Japan in 2011, leave us wondering what will happen next.
There is a man in Missouri who does a you tube video each night at 10:01pm CST. Although it does not appear until a couple of hours later. This man is smart and honest. After that really deep 7.3 quake in the south pacific about a month ago...he predicted that certain areas would be hit within 7 days. It did not happen and he was apoplectic, bewildered and he was honest. However within the next two days, sure enough they began popping. He is a great teacher. He believes everyone should be watchful and ready. After all very few states in our US have not had a quake.

dutchsince you tube videos (the man in Missouri)
csem-emsc.org is a site that gives info on quakes in Europe as well as the Mediterranian area.
quakes.globalincidentmap.com gives quake info (live) for north & south America as well as the Pacific.

Caution...the usgs sometimes plays with the numbers...down grading the numbers...So as not to scare people?????

Any way, if you are curious...check these pages out.
Be informed and safe.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Feb 06 2017 08:27:48 AM

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2017 :  08:32:30 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have been through quakes in California (I was on stage at a symphony rehearsal) and in Tokyo, Japan (I was on the 44th floor of the Keio Plaza Hotel and a couple days later in the lower floor eating breakfast). Feels very strange when the floor starts rolling under you.

Thanks for the link, Marilyn.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2017 :  08:41:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my, Linda. I have only had one experience, here at home, in bed, was awakened by shaking from a quake over toward Johnson county.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2017 :  08:54:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can feel quakes from southern OK if they are strong enough. Linda I can't image what it would be like to be in high-rise during a quake even though Japan has strong building codes.

One of our more interesting and dangerous faults is the New Madrid that erupted in 1811-1812. It runs from SE Missouri to NE Ark through W Tenn, N Kent and S Ill. The History Channel ran a special on it and repeats it from time to time. When it happened the Mississippi River ran backwards, left it's bed and formed a new lake. Theory is we are due for another one. If it does hit it will do more damage than the San Andreas fault line in California because of the makeup of the soil and buildings aren't built to withstand earthquakes.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2017 :  08:55:30 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The one in the rehearsal - we were rehearsing The Sorceror's Apprentice, and the earthquake happened during the loudest section when the kettle drums are madly rumbling. Took us a while to realize the stage wasn't shaking because of the drums, it was because of an earthquake. The drums stopped and the stage continued to shake. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2017 :  08:58:58 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Sara. In Japan, this hotel, and most other buildings, are built on springs (or spring-like, anyway) so that in a quake the buildings rock and don't crack like they used to do there.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2017 :  09:17:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We experienced earthquakes in South Carolina, but none were ever major ones. The funniest memory was when our oldest was three or four and woke us up saying someone was shaking her bed. We told her she was just dreaming and go back to bed. It wasn't until later that day that we realized we had experienced an earthquake and she was the only one in our house awoken by it!

In 1989 our family took a cross country trip, from Delaware to California. I was only 10 at the time, but I will always remember all the burnt trees from Mount St Helens up in Washington state... and that was nine years after the eruption!!!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2017 :  09:41:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The guy on dutchsince says we have a lot of volcanos going off frequently and that is good because it relieves some pressure on the plates.
Shannon, I will never forget how huge the Washington state Apples were that year. 5-6" tall and easily 4" across the tops.
When we visited Eureka Springs one year, I thought it looked like a volcano area to me, much like Big Bend Natl. Park.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Feb 06 2017 09:43:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2017 :  4:16:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! Linda! What timing, kettle drums and an earthquake! On the 44th floor of a building is exciting in itself!
Only time I felt a quake here was 1977, it shook the glass on my front door in mid afternoon, I was home alone. Very light, but got your attention! All the neighbors came out saying," did you feel that!!" It is A strange feeling! We sit on The New Madrid Fault and experts say we are gonna have a big one some day!
Reelfoot Lake, about 100 miles from me was formed by an earthquake!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2017 :  4:50:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Connie I couldn't remember the name of the lake or which state it was in.

For history buffs look for these repeats of American disasters on the History Channel. Well done documentaries.

Galveston Hurricane -early 1900s
Black Blizzard - dust bowl era
Texas City Fire - 1940s
San Francisco Earthquake - early 1900s
Johns-town Flood - late 1800s

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6088 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6088 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2017 :  8:51:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first earthquake I ever felt was when I was in high school in Colorado. It was a 1am in the morning. it was 6.1, hard way to wake up. My biggest 3 I felt here was in 1992, on April 25th and 26th. they were 6.8, 6.9, and 7.0, not fun. but not as bad a damage as they have in the Bay area. There are a lot of volcanoes they are watching in Alaska. Bogslova is on orange at the moment. It is interesting to keep track of.

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic Science: Shake Rattle and Roll Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page