Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Sitting by a warm fire with friends - January 2017
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Sitting by a warm fire with friends - January 2017 Next Topic
Page: of 10

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2017 :  5:08:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, thank you for the valuable information. I'll have to speak with Pumpkin's pediatrician when she's due for her physical. The fact that she has never had any of the childhood illness worries me. I am so grateful that she is healthy and rarely ill. Thank you again!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6089 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6089 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2017 :  6:14:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might have her check on an update shot for Tetanus as well, I had mine about 4 years ago at the fair, they were giving them free, so I got one. I had had one since Angelina was tiny and I stepped on a nail. They are only good for about 10years I was told. I had the pneumonia one. I think I have had everything in my lifetime.
It can't hurt to check on it.
Take care Carole.
hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2017 :  8:55:21 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I've had all childhood illnesses, and we had the polio shots and then sugar cubes, too. Now, as a senior, I've had the Pneumonia Shot, and the Shingles shot (if you've had Chicken Pox you need it for sure), and the flu shot. I guess vaccinations never end. LOL!

My mother had never had the mumps, and didn't get them when two of us had them. Then when my other brother got them she asked the doctor about the shot and he said if she hadn't gotten them yet she wouldn't. Well, she did, and it was right at the time of her 50th high school reunion. She was really bummed. Several of her classmates who had to drive through our town to the reunion stopped in to see my mother - swollen neck and all. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017

Edited by - quiltee on Jan 25 2017 8:57:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9579 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9579 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2017 :  06:52:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was sweet of them Linda. So she at least got to see some people from her reunion. I had the mumps, even though I had the shot for it, when I was small and the chicken pox as well. Pretty much nothing else. I had my appendix out right before I started kindergarten. That's it for me. I'm grateful I didn't have to deal with anything besides normal childbirth. Both my girls had to have c sections for some of their babies.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jan 26 2017 06:54:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2017 :  06:59:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, I just got myself all updated on recommended vaccines for those over 60. I got the annual Flu vaccine, a DPT since I had not had one in over 20 years, Shingles vaccine ,and the first of the Pneumonia vaccines, Prevnar 13 for Pneumococcal pneumonia . My two arms were a bit sore for about 24 hours but that was the only side effect I had with all those vaccines at once. According to the CDC Guidelines for people people over 60 there is one more pneumonia vaccine that we get next year (Prevnar 25) and then we are finished except for annual Flu vaccines and a Tetnus booster every 10 years. I got all of mine at the CVS close to my house. The Pharmacists now give the vaccines.

If anyone here wants to know what the recommended vaccines are for all ages, go to the CDC website and click on vaccines per age group and they are all listed for when they are recommended. Most are covered under your insurance or require a small co-pay. It is a simple thing to do to keep yourself free of communicable diseases that can become quite serious as you age. Plus, now CVS Pharmacies offer many of these vaccines and you can stop by anytime and get them without a doctor's order. Many doctor offices have stopped stocking vaccines for adults since it is easier to now go to the Pharmacy in your neighborhood and get what you need. I am sure Walgreens has a similar program and perhaps Walmart?

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2017 :  06:59:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just love you all. It's like we're sitting around our kitchen tables talking over a cup of tea. Wherever the conversation takes us we follow. Sometimes I join in and add my two cents worth. Other times I just sit back and listen (read). It depends on what kind of day I am having. Good conversation among friends - I just love it.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2017 :  07:02:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darlene, thank you for the reminder. Fortunately, since Pumpkin works every summer with various programs that repairs/build homes of less fortunate (Last year she did Amigos for Christ in Nicaragua) her tetanus shot as well as others are up to date. I did have get one myself since it had been well over 20 years! Actually, it might be even longer!

Carole

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2017 :  08:42:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, I feel the same way!! I have learned a lot!!! Just nice to come here!!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9579 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9579 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2017 :  09:24:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, that is great that she gets involved and does those things. Our world has such need.

Dh always had to have a bunch of vaccines when he was in the military and they had them all at once in boot camp. I am not a fan of needles myself.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6089 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6089 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2017 :  11:59:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear that Carole, My youngest went and helped with building on houses when she was in 8th grade with their Church, It was a good experience for her. They went down to Mexico.

take care

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2017 :  4:38:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, I agree with you too.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6089 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6089 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2017 :  7:50:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with that too Sara, it is wonderful here.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2017 :  8:54:12 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Me, too!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2017 :  06:57:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You speak the same thoughts that I have, Sara! I love all of our friends here at SPG and MJF. My life is so much richer and fuller because of all of YOU!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9579 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9579 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2017 :  09:06:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My sentiments too Winnie! I so enjoy the forums.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2017 :  6:40:08 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Okay - please let me know if I am crazy. It is beautiful here in Sedona. Last night we attended a short presentation of a native American Indian flute and drum concert. I loved the soothing and calming sounds and melodies of the wooden Indian flute, and it made me want to check them out at the shops in Sedona. I found one I love, and am thinking of buying it tomorrow. They let you try them out using a piece of tubing for the mouthpiece. What do you think? Am I crazy?

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Jan 27 2017 8:53:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2017 :  7:19:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, if you will use it it will be fine. I love the sound of dulcimers. I know a lady who bought one and learned to play it. It brought much joy to her and her family and friends. I say go get it.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9579 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9579 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2017 :  7:32:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you going to learn to play Linda? That'd great if you are. I learned to play the flute in jr high.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2017 :  8:51:21 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Denise. I would learn to play it. It comes with a book and CD on how to play it. I may be serenading Ed in the car on our way to Gilbert, AZ, on Sunday. It is not an inexpensive souvenir, but something I think will bring a calming feeling when played. It is also something my grandsons could learn to play - and all three love making up melodies on the piano and could do that with this, too. LOL! I never could play the recorder; it always sounded too airy and not pretty. The wooden Native American Indian flute is a lot easier. Once you learn not to blow too hard, it just takes practice. While trying the flute out, I quickly got a very smooth tone out of it. The main practice needed is to learn how to smoothly move the fingers on and off the holes. Since there are only 6 holes, you can't really play written music, but you can play relaxing melodies. As a music education major in college I learned to play every instrument except flute and sax. My main instruments were violin and viola - I learned violin in 3rd grade and switched to viola my sophomore year in high school. In classes at college I had a semester each of cello, string bass, clarinet. oboe/english_horn/bassoon, trumpet, trombone/euphonium/tuba, and percussion. This wasn't enough to be proficient, but enough to knnow how to teach the fundamentals of each to elementary children.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Jan 27 2017 8:55:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2017 :  10:52:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, Linda, I did not know you were a music major. Neither did I know you were a music teacher...although I had wondered what you did in your previous life before you became a MJF Farm girl. That is interesting.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2017 :  06:37:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda - I am so excited for you! What an awesome - and beneficial - souvenir! I have seen and heard their flute before - beautiful instrument and lovely music! But I would have no clue how to go about playing it! What a fascinating array of classes and talents you behold! Perhaps you could record some of your playing on your computer and post it on here so we could hear some? Not sure how that works, honestly! Or if it even would work! Hmmm I'm thinking I might pull out my CD of Native American music today to listen to it :)

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2017 :  07:18:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, I say go for it! Sedona, how wonderful that you have an opportunity to visit! I read that the energy there is amazing! Enjoy!

Carole

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2017 :  08:19:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, I agree with others that you should go for getting the flute! I bet you can easily figure out how to play it too. I used to play violin from age 9- 14. When I got to high school, I felt like I had so many other competing activities for my time and I gave it up. Now I wish I hadn't done that. My family gave me a hammered dulcimer several years ago and I struggle to learn how to keep it tuned and play it. I need to take lessons but there aren't any locally.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2017 :  6:44:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My family went to the Fort Worth Stock Show today. My husband went with them. I stayed here and did the grocery shopping, then baked a Hershey 's Pound Cake for dessert tomorrow. Funny thing, he said they only looked at rabbits, in the way of critters. They saw tractors, four wheelers, sewing machines doing all sorts of fancy things,boots, hats, belts, clothes and of course jewelry. Jewelry just calls those girls to come look every time. They did not stay for the rodeo, because my son wanted to get back to Granbury and eat fried chicken at Babe's. YES!!!That meant I did not need to cook supper.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2017 :  06:15:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, I like the Indian flute - by all means you should have it.

Marilyn your cake sounds yummy.

This afternoon I would like to finish up three mini aprons for my kitchen banner - but - something keeps running through my head. A friend who was raised by her grandmother during the depression always said "what you sew on Sunday you rip out on Monday". Her grandmother told her so it had to be so. Dona never sewed on Sunday.

Why is it we know something isn't true but it gets stuck in our mind and just won't go away. I'm still planning on working on the mini aprons today but...

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Sitting by a warm fire with friends - January 2017 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page