Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 All Things Fall and Thanksgiving!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic All Things Fall and Thanksgiving! Next Topic
Page: of 4

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2016 :  12:37:00 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Connie - is the store still standing? Very nice memories.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
871 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2016 :  2:46:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie what a great site. You know my favorite time of the year is fall. And today it was dreary, cooler and wet. And I am drinking hot chocolate. WHoo Whoo! Just love all the pics and stories. Thank you!

Hugs Marlee

Hugs: Heavens Ultimate Good Sign

OCD: Overly Cute Disposition

Farmgirls: Sisters from Different Gardens
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2016 :  06:50:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you! Linda it is! It's still in great shape! It was made into a house in the 1990's. for a short time.No one lives there now, My Uncle Jimmy lives about 20 miles form there and is trying to find out who owns it and he wants to buy it and restore it back using these pictures! He has pictures of the inside and more views from the outside. One neighbor says they think some of the original glass counters are still in the house. My Aunt Mattie died in the 1990's, her neighbor died a few months ago, she lived to be 100!!
He collects antiques and owns many of my Grandmothers and Aunt Mattie things also. He owns a Plastic manufacturing Company in Dyersburg about 6 miles from the store! We are all excited about it!!

Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6091 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6091 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2016 :  10:10:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those are the best stores, so much fun to go to and feel at home in.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2016 :  1:31:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree Darlene! Turkey from Thanksgiving past!! The pansies came from my Garden that year!

Hugs! Connie
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2016 :  1:39:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, here's a copy of the ad from my Aunt Matties and Uncle Hermans store in Arizona, they got homesick for Tennessee and came back to Dyersburg, Tn and opened the one I grew up in!

Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2016 :  1:49:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, My mom just sent these to me. This the side of the store. Great Aunt Mattie on the right, her only child, Lavada on the left. Lavada worked at the store till she married and moved to Chicago in the late 1950's. I can still remember the glass candy case, you had to ask for what you wanted and they put it in a tiny brown sack!

Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2016 :  2:24:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, I am loving those old photos and stories that you have been sharing!!!! Thanks so much!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2016 :  4:53:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, those pictures are awesome treasures. Thank you.
Penny candy. Little peppermint sticks, no crooks on the end. When my son was tiny we would go to a tiny store near the house we rented. I would give him two pennies. He would look to find his favorites, and pay the man. Much later, teaching school, I discovered that children did not know about change. It was very difficult to teach them the concept of counting money. Then I realized their parents just paid for the groceries and candy all together. Sadly they missed a valuable teaching/learning opportunity.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2016 :  6:28:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Winnie and Marilyn! Love your memories of penny candy! I Sweet childhood memories for me! I would sweep the floor when I was in 3rd grade for my Aunt Mattie. the store had a plank wood floor.

Imagine....#3392

Edited by - Killarney on Nov 11 2016 6:29:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2016 :  6:44:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of course, the wood floors that sometimes creaked when you walked across them. Did you ever find a penny standing between a couple of planks? Connie I am sending you an email. Probably has Robert Godfrey on it instead of my name.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Nov 11 2016 6:50:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2016 :  6:56:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking at the grocery ad...4¢ Salt, now we pay about 75¢.
I grew up spelling ketchup the way it is spelled in the ad:catsup! I remember seeing Spry shortening too. Fun memories.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2016 :  7:01:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I was four we moved to Lubbock Texas. My daddy bought a helpy selfy laundry. It had wringer washers.Most families had one car, husbands would drop off the wife and laundry as they went to work. Then daddy would have to load up the wet laundry and the lady, drive them home and carry her wet laundry to her clothes line.
He only lasted 8 months, the heavy tubs of wet clothes made his back hurt. That was before laundry baskets. I thought it was great fun to play in the laundry. There were little cement Rivers all over the place. Sometimes the water was warm and bubbly, then it would be clear. Soda pop bottle lids made perfect tiny boats to float in the maze of rivers. I could go to see my daddy...unless he was on a delivery.
That is also where the horse drawn cart came clip clopping,jingle, jangling down the street each morning, bringing bottles of milk and cream which he set on the back steps of the house. I refused to drink horse milk! No matter what my parents tried, I would not try that milk. Silly kid!

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Nov 11 2016 7:14:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9581 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9581 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2016 :  04:35:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great topic! Enjoying all your wonderful posts and m3mories. Fall is my most favorite time of year and this one is just beautiful here. We usually get a lot of rain and it makes November cold and dreary but this year has been awesome! Tons of beautiful color everywhere, we just hit peak foliage colors this week. I love seeing all the leaves on the ground. We don't rake because they make great mulch and fertilizer.
It has been sunny, chilly mornings.

Marlee, I have been drinking hot cocoa with pumpkin spice creamer, it is so tasty! I'm not a coffee drinker but love pumpkin spice. Lol.

I would decorate for fall year round if my family let me!

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2016 :  05:12:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, if you find the time could you take some photos and post them, so we Texans can see what fall or Autumn really looks like. I love it too.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2016 :  06:55:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn! you should write a book! You describe things so wonderful, I can see them so clearly in my mind!! what a magical place for a child to play, at the laundry. We would go there sometimes in the winter to dry clothes! We hung all out clothes out on the clotheslines. My Granny would hang some on those wooden racks over the floor furnace to dry.

Denise, so happy for your Beautiful fall!!

Hugs! Connie
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9581 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9581 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2016 :  06:27:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sure will Marilyn!
It's a cozy morning this morning. I woke up at 4:30 and was so wide awake. Decided to get up and have a couple hours to myself. Loved it! It is crisp and cold and the leaves on the ground are gorgeous colors. I think when it warms I will go get some to press and decorate with. Right now I'm warming my toes by the fire! I love everything about Fall this year! Thanks for starting this topic Connie.
I will get some photos when I go out to get my leaves,Marilyn.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9581 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9581 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2016 :  06:51:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here you go Marilyn. You can see that some of the trees are starting to look fairly bare and some still have lots of green. My brother in law went to upstate NY this past weekend and he said the trees are quite bare there now. We are 5 hours south of my hometown in NY. So not far but it can make quite a difference in the weather patterns.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9581 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9581 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2016 :  06:56:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are couple more. One is of my rose bush. It blooms on and off from June to December.

I took a walk out back this morning and took the picture with the bright orange tree. It was so relaxing to walk the property a bit. The air is so fresh and invigorating. Lots of heavy dew on the ground.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2016 :  3:20:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Denise for the tour and the autumn beauty.
We have not had a freeze yet. After looking, it seems like now we are in the window of first frost time. I do remember very cold trick or treating and a snow fall or two for opening of deer season, first Saturday in Nov. Not this year. Some trees are shedding their leaves, but most continue to hold them. The shuemakes had bright red leaves the other day.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Nov 13 2016 3:30:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2016 :  3:52:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have also enjoyed this topic. My alarm is set for 6am. However today I woke up at 5:15, started the coffee maker and sat down to read the overnight emails. At six I put my corn husks in hot water with a plate on top and a Pyrex dish full of water on top to try to hold the husks down. Then I began to make the masa mixture... It was a Tamale kind of day. Some time after six, I became aware of Friday, barking. I was busy, but he would bark four or five times, wait a couple of minutes and bark more. He was in the old garage. He has not been feeling great for a couple of weeks. He had been bathed and doctored... but last night he had trouble getting up. When I got the mountain of masa ready, I washed up and went to check on him. I put my hand on his side and talked to him for a minute. I somehow knew that he knew it was almost time to leave us. I came inside and woke my husband up and told him. He tried to feed him, but Friday did not want chicken breast today. Then another hour passed with the same barking.I called my son's house. The dog belongs to my oldest grand daughter, but she was in Shreport this weekend. Friday passed away about three. He just could not wait for his love any longer. Wade dug a big deep hole under his pecan tree, and there Friday waits for Baylee to come and tell him bye. It has been a long sad day...but the tamales were good. Friday loved his chickens. He was a wonderful guard dog for them. He never tried to kill one. He was a German wire/short haired bird dog.Rest in Peace, sweet Friday.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Nov 13 2016 3:55:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2016 :  4:34:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise beautiful pictures.

Marilyn, sorry for your loss. Friday sounds like a great companion and watch dog.

It's cooling down a little but it was way too hot too long. Three of my MJF garlic spouted so I will cover the beds with several inches of leaves. The leaves are really falling now so having leaves to cover beds and plants won't be a problem. My oak tree never loses all it's leaves. Some will turn brown and fall - the others will stay green. They're small leaves no bigger than my thumb. My sister's three oak trees is a different variety and it's leaves are bigger than my hand.

Today was the first day of frost for my zone but it's way off the mark this year.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2016 :  5:45:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Her trees may be Burr Oaks. I have one that grew from three acorns I planted. Huge leaves and big acorns too.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2016 :  5:47:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have shelled every pecan that was in my house. Yea! Not that many, but it is good to finish.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2016 :  6:01:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn I can no longer eat nuts but when I could I always kept a bowl of nuts and a cracker next to my chair. A bowl of nuts just says fall to me.

Last week my sister and I were in a collectable/junk shop and I wanted a nut cracker bowl so bad but knew not only I didn't need it I have no room for it in my little house and it was only $8. It was a shallow bowl made out of some kind of silver colored pounded metal with raised area in the middle. It came with a toothed mallet out of the same material. I have never seen anything like it before. My guess is you put the nut on the raised area and hit it with the mallet. On second thought it's probably a good thing I didn't get it or I would have wracked up fingers for sure.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Project Discussions: Previous Topic All Things Fall and Thanksgiving! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page