Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 All Things Fall and Thanksgiving!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic All Things Fall and Thanksgiving! Next Topic
Page: of 4

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2016 :  3:23:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's give Thanksgiving and Fall the Spotlight it deserves!! Post your Memories, Recipes, Pictures!
Farmgirl Atc swap 2011.

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2016 :  5:38:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a great idea Connie.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2016 :  7:25:12 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Love this, Connie. Let me think of what I can add.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6091 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6091 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2016 :  10:10:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a nice idea Connie.

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2016 :  04:35:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie great idea and love your title. Got me thinking about why I like and look forward to the fall so much. The obvious reason is the cooling down after a summer of oppressive Texas heat that drains the spirit and wears down the body. But, fall is much more than that.

It's a season of activity ~ a season of getting ready for the winter to come. It's a season of beauty that speaks to our inner child as we walk through the fallen leaves. A season to dream big dreams and to plant bulbs for the coming spring. Fall fills our senses with sweet smells from the kitchen; we see nature adorned with colors of red, orange, and yellow leaves and the sparkle of yellow mums. All that I like, but what I like most is when the north wind blows the cobwebs from my mind and once again I see my little world with a renewed spirit. For me fall is a season of renewal.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2016 :  06:57:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Texas we have summer, then we have Indian Summer, and finally we experience Autumn. Our seasons are rather unpredictable...as to when the changes come about...but I enjoy the teases we get in September and October that lead up to the real thing.
I believe we are really in that wonderful season as I sit here listening to the rain gently falling, yet again this morning. We do massive yard work in autumn. My son has the big boy toys, and we all work with him to take away the spring and summer overgrowth, then some new bulbs can go into the soil.
Autumn brings red leaves on Shumake trees, tiny yellow sunflowers and wild red salvia blooms...It is God's wild bouquet of beauty. On a good year pecans fall, are picked up, shelled and used in pies, stuffed celery and cookies, cakes and candies. There are a few pecans this year, but not a good crop.
Wood is ordered and Jesse and his young helpers deliver it and stack it, so we can stay warm throughout the winter. Peanuts roasting in their shells...Then breaking them open to taste if they are ready. Yum!
Soon the bare legged trees appear...and I love to see the tree shapes when the leaves are gone. There is something almost magical about bare legged trees against a grey Autumn sky. (The grand kids gave trees without leaves the name Bare Legged Trees when they were little. A dead tree on our lane was a landmark to them, until it was removed. They would call and say,"Gran, we are coming...Will you meet us at the bare legged tree.")
Late November is Moon of the Red Grass. The tall grasses that grow beside our lanes and country roads take on a dark red hue. It is tim to gather a dry bouquet for Thanksgiving.
The smells of the Thanksgiving dinner baking in the oven are delightful, Sharing the meal with family, and sometimes friends, and the nap that follows are so nice.
The day after Thanksgiving, we load up to go to a town some thirty miles away. We shop, have lunch, and just enjoy the sights, smells and family time. This is the day we purchase our Christmas trees, bring them home, my husband trims off the bottom, puts them in our stands and the decorating begin. Perhaps I love Autumn because I was born in the season. I love to sit, wrapped up in a blanket, cup of hot tea or cocoa and read, or watch God's critters getting their final preparations made before cold sets in.
God was so wise to give us seasons...the earth as well as humans and critters need times to grow, reproduce, as well as clean up and rest. Thank you GOD!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2016 :  08:38:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love this idea, Connie!!

For me, Fall is most about the sights,colors, smells and feel of this glorious season. There are the obvious harvest items like apples, pumpkins, Indian corn, beautiful fall leaves and more. Then there comes the cooler weather where the air smells cleaner, fresher, and sometimes with a bit of woodsmoke from a nearby chimney. It feels so energizing to be outside, sleep with the windows open under beloved quilts, and enjoy the feel of a warm sweater on a chilly day. All together, Fall brings back cherished childhood memories, memories with my own children and family, and the opportunity each year to seek out more and more ways to understand and enjoy this season. Because our summers are so long, hot, humid and basically miserable, Fall is such a welcomed respite. While we don't often get the level of chill that the states north of us do, we still get a break from the heat and I have learned to cherish every moment that we get such a great few days of fall weather.

Added to the sensual part of Fall, I love Halloween and Thanksgiving holidays the most of all of the holidays. There is a simplicity and ease to both of these days because there are no real rules. You can choose to celebrate. or not, however you wish and nobody thinks anything about it. There are no obligations to do big decorating, gift giving, extravagant meals etc. If you wish to do those things, that is fine, but if you choose simple or just skip the day, that works too. As I have aged, I have learned to appreciate the freedom of the Fall season. You can enjoy it by simply spending more time outside. Or, you can dress it up with holiday plans to suit your family and interests. Fall comes quietly and slowly and invites us to just take moments to reflect, sit, walk, and enjoy something delicious from the harvest. November has been my favorite month lately, to take advantage of the final arrival of Fall down here in Florida. While we still have our share of hot days and some humidity, there are days like today that are dry, cool and breezy. It is just plain glorious!

Here is a photo of an original painting I had made for me by Folk Artist, Heather Sleightholm. It has my Grandmother's big wood stove in the background inside the house, a scarecrow ( I just love scarecrows!!) in the field and a family working on the fall harvest. It just sort of sums up my feelings of this season:, harvest blessings, family, beautiful days, but chilly weather requiring mother to wear a shawl, everyone with long sleeves, and a fire in the kitchen for cooking up something delicious in celebration.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2016 :  11:54:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I loved, Loved!! reading your posts Sara, Marilyn and Winnie!
Sara, I have the MonSter too! Cool weather gives me back some life!!!!!!!! I know exactly what you mean!!! HUG!!

Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2016 :  12:05:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanksgiving tree! Mostly all Farmgirl art and cards!! I look at the back of each ATC and Card and think about that person and say a prayer for them! The atc that says, Happy fall with the acorns was made by SPG Sherry Buck! others made by Beth Jones, Winnie, Maddie, Jill Skane and My Dear Portia! They date back to 2011!

SPG Hugs! Connie
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2016 :  12:07:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, I forget to say , I have several cards you gave me made by Heather! I love her art!!

Connie
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2016 :  1:34:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie your tree is beautiful and full of sweet memories.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2016 :  5:12:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Sara!! Mary Jane Farmgirls and SPG mean a lot to me!! I have had so many happy swaps and emails and cards and letters that have blessed me so!!!

Connie
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2016 :  6:40:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great stories and I love your beautiful tree decorations Connie. You are very talented.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6091 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6091 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2016 :  8:39:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really pretty Connie.

Thanks.

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2016 :  10:24:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy Sunday!!

Farmgirl Hug! Connie
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2016 :  10:38:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Punch boards were big in the 1950-60's in small town grocery store! I remember when I was about 7 years old, punching one at my Great Aunt Mattie's store to win a tiny wind-up crawling Baby doll with a red-polka dot jumpsuit on! I never won, but my Aunt Judy did!
I found this on one of my treasure hunts! I just love it!!
Imagine....#3392 Connie

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2016 :  11:29:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love your Fall tree Connie! It is beautiful and such a fun way to display your ATC cards from past swaps at MJF!!

I never saw a punch board before. How did I miss that one in the 1950s and 1960s??? LOL!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2016 :  11:56:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love, love, love your pumpkin picture with the old cabin. Very pretty...very Autumn.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2016 :  12:07:16 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Connie - love your pictures! They always hit the topic spot-on! And the punch card - I've seen smaller ones, but never one like that! You find the neatest treasures on your jaunts. Can I come visit and go treasure hunting with you? Huh!? Please?

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6091 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6091 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2016 :  6:14:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, your punch board is neat! Thanks for sharing it.

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2016 :  6:23:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, you have the most amazing collection of things.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2016 :  06:48:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! I am like my Granny was, I love old things!! Maybe, growing up spending a lot of time at my Aunt Mattie's grocery made me remember and love old things as well! They had an apt. at the back of the store, where they lived for a while, then bought a house 2 blocks away, so they still walked to work!

Linda, I would love to treasure hunt with you someday!

Thankful! Connie
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2016 :  1:30:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember those little small community grocery stores. They had screen doors with a metal bread advertising sign across the door. The springs were old because the screen doors closed slowly, sweeping you inside, wide eyed, looking for a piece or two of candy or perhaps if you had a nickel you could reach into the cold ice water and get a soda pop out of that big metal box. They were more dimly lit than stores today. They also had ice cream bars with a thin chocolate shell. Yum! Memories!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2016 :  07:33:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, You described her store to a tee!! Those metal advertising push bars are worth a small fortune if you can find one!! Here is a Picture of her Store, early 1950's I think. The metal drink box was inside in front of the right window, I use to love sticking my head in there in hot summer to get cool, I almost fell in several times!!

Connie

Edited by - Killarney on Nov 10 2016 07:35:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2016 :  11:51:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, I loved those stores. About twenty years, or so, ago we were driving through north western Arkansas. There was a tiny town about every five miles...and some little stores. It was magical to me, and caused my heart much delight.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2016 :  11:52:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing the photo Connie. I love it.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Project Discussions: Previous Topic All Things Fall and Thanksgiving! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page