Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 This family must haves for Thanksgiving
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic This family must haves for Thanksgiving Next Topic  

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2016 :  06:33:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This morning I thought about how much fun it would be to hear about the absolute family favorites that make Thanksgiving dinner at your home. When I think about Thanksgiving dinner when I was young, I have many favorites that we all looked forward to . I know all of you have favorites that you enjoy today as well. So let's share these family must haves the next few days.

The two items that stand out in my mind are the following:

1. Mom made a fresh cranberry salad that was mixed with jello. It had fresh cranberries, celery, walnuts, and mom used cherry jello. It was tangy, crunchy, and ever so tasty with turkey.

2. My Mom also made Pumpkin and Mincemeat pies. The mincemeat was made from my Grandmother's green apple recipe and was rich with cinnamon, cloves, nuts, and chopped apples. It was as much a family favorite as pumpkin pie. By the way, our pumpkin pies were always made from the fresh meat of the Halloween pumpkin. On October 31, we would scrape out the insides of the fresh pumpkin and mom would cook and puree it up into batches for pies at Thanksgiving and Christmas. Plus, we always had pumpkin pie for dinner on Halloween! Yum!!

So what would you like so share about your family favorites?

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2016 :  07:54:23 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
There are two things we always had at Thanksgiving, and I fix one of them if I host Thanksgiving, but the other has gone by the wayside due to allergies of DIL.
1. Sweet kraut - cabbage fixed with caraway seeds, vinegar and sugar. The problem with this is that mom's recipe had measurements, but they were mostly estimates, and she would always say it was "to taste" and I have never been able to recreate it exactly as she did every year.
2. Oyster stuffing - Mom would take a small container of oysters and puree it; she used this as the liquid in the stuffing. I don't like oysters, but pureed in the stuffing it wasn't as noticeable and I liked it.

There was a story about the stuffing. My mom hosted Thanksgiving dinner and my aunt hosted Christmas dinner. My aunt always raved about the stuffing at Thanksgiving, and every year she would ask my mother for the recipe. Come Christmas, she would say, "Judy, why doesn't this taste like your dressing?" My mother would say, "Did you put in the oysters?" My aunt would say, "No, we don't like oysters." Well, DUH! This happened every year. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2016 :  4:08:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, that was funny about the Oyster dressing, My dad was from New York, he grew up on Oyster stuffing.
Winnie, I love that you used your Halloween Pumpkin for pie for Thanksgiving!! My 2 are:
My Granny's Cornbread dressing, I am 3rd generation who cooks it every year.

My Aunt Joyce's Carrot Cake! are our 2 must haves. we change the side dishes year to year, Turkey, the dressing and Carrot cake stay!
Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2016 :  4:40:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie cooks the turkey and the pies. I make the cornbread dressing, candied sweet potatoes, "fried" green beans, and the stuffed celery. I love whole berry cranberry sauce cooked from fresh cranberries, but alas everyone else loves jelled from a can...So that is what we have.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Nov 18 2016 4:42:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1229 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1229 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2016 :  6:59:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are a few things that must be on our holiday table. Growing up in a Norwegian family lefsa is a must for all holidays. It is a Scandinavian delicacy of mashed potatoes, cream, butter and a small amount of flour rolled very thin and fried on a 500 degree griddle for just a minute or so per side. After it has cooled it is spread with butter and sprinkled with suger and cinnamon and rolled up tight. My daughter and I make several batches before the holidays usually going through 30 or 40 pounds of potatoes. Tuesday was our first lefsa day of the year. She rolls and I fry. The guys just wIt for the flops. We also have to have fresh cranberries, cooked with orange peel, candied ginger and sugar. It looks so pretty in a crystal bowl on the table. I love it the next day on a turkey sandwich!

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2016 :  7:24:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie, our DIL Julie is from Wisconsin. Her dad was Norwegian. She has her grandmother's Lefsa griddle and a long stick or two for turning. She always makes a couple of batches, packages it and sends it back home to the two sisters and brother who still live there. She has a sister here and they get together and make some for her family too. When her dad was alive she made more. Also all of those cookies. When the grand daughters were younger it was fun to go in on cooking days. Hadlee on a step stool, both in their granny made aprons, covered in flour helping make the goodies.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2016 :  7:26:49 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Lefsa sounds WONderful! Hmmmm! I'll have to look up a recipe.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2016 :  4:05:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie, my husband is pure Norwegian but I never heard of Lefse. They sound absolutely delicious!! It would be fun to join in and see how they are made before trying them alone. I do have hubby's Aunt's KrumKage maker which makes a rich cookie that is like a waffle cone. One year, my Mom was here and she helped. You definitely have to have two people to work the hot iron and get them rolled right away. His Grandmother used to fill them with whipped cream and fruits. One Norwegian cookie I do make are Sandbakkels with his Grandmother's recipe and cookie tins. These are made for Christmas time so we still have weeks before they get made.

I love hearing about all of the wonderful holiday dishes that are family favorites! There are so many traditions and family memories tied up in these once a year Thanksgiving "Must Haves"!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2016 :  6:15:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When Julie ordered an electric double krumkage maker, I ordered one also. Now both girls will have one some day. They are fun to use at school, so little ones can see a different way to make cookies.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6091 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6091 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2016 :  6:17:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those sound tasty Winnie, your krumkage sounds a lot like a pizzel and a cannoli but different shape.

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9581 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9581 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2016 :  09:31:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Growing up we always had mincemeat and pumpkin pies. Mom always made both from scratch. We always do pumpkin but mincemeat like mom made is not always on the menu every year. It is this year however. She also always made stuffing using oysters. A New England tradition maybe? We rarely veer from our traditional dinner except for the pies. Sometimes when don't have mincemeat I will make some other type of custard or pudding pie. I want to make plum pudding this year for Christmas but I'll see how it goes.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2016 :  10:10:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am soooooooooo hungry after reading everyone's comments!
Julie, Lefsa sounds so delicious!!!! Turkey is form Thanksgiving past. I grew the Sage and Pansies!

Connie
Imagine....#3392

Edited by - Killarney on Nov 20 2016 10:10:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2016 :  05:23:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ohhh, this photo is making my mouth water this morning. Delicious looking turkey you have and those pansies just add a perfect Farmgirl touch!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1229 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1229 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2016 :  06:27:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I make a lot of krumkake every year Marilyn, as well as rosettes and sandbuckles.we also love sweet soups. Such a wonderful time of the year for all those goodies.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2016 :  06:54:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When we got our Julie, I gave her my rosette irons. I had purchased them because I was looking for different cookies to take to school. Small school, son in high school, cookies needed for any and every event, y'all know how it goes. His class only had five kids and one mom chose not to cook...So the rest of us were always busy. Julie makes the sandbuckles too. One year I tried to help...I was a failure...to many rules, very slow process.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2016 :  07:16:48 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have a rosette iron but have never used one. It was my mother's. Sounds like a lot of work, and almost impossible for one person? What are krumkake and sandbuckles?

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Nov 21 2016 11:34:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2016 :  07:40:49 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2016 :  08:18:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Krumkakes are little cones that are made flat in an iron that has a pretty design, then quickly rolled around a wooden cone. They are crispy and have a bit of cardamom in them so they are Devine. They can be filled with whipped cream, etc. We just have crispy ones. My electric iron cooks two at a time.
Sandbuckles look like tiny tart shells or pie crusts. They are sweet cookies. The dough is shaped into small balls and pressed into the little mold. The inspector said I did not press mine thin enough. I tried and tried but was a failure. This is my Texas opinion: if you want Norwegian cookies go for the Krumkake. The Rosettes are good, but the flavor comes from the cinnamon sugar or powdered sugar you sprinkle on them. They must be kept in a tin also. Norwegian food is pretty bland compared to Texas mex. When we were there, Julie's parents hosted a family gathering. Bars, bars and more bars were the dessert choices. When we gather there are cakes, pies, cookies and brownies. I did learn that those folks enjoy some spicy foods...because I made a huge seven layer dip and big Mexican salad and when I went through the line my food dishes were empty. I was disappointed because I was hungry for Texas food, but happy that it was eaten and enjoyed by their company.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2016 :  09:07:33 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
If the rosettes are the open flaky ones I have several different designs. We dipped them in powdered sugar.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2016 :  10:59:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This morning when I was at the gym, I was watching this show on Food Network and they made this delicious fresh cranberry salad.

I just made a batch of it and it is really good. You take a bag of fresh cranberries that you have washed and picked over, two rough chopped sticks of celery, I/3 cup walnuts ( but I think any favorite nuts would be good) zest of one orange, juice of one orange, 1/2-3/4 cup sugar. Place all ingredients in the food processor and rough chop. to the consistency you see in my photo. I used just 1/2 cup sugar because I love tart things but you can adjust the sugar to your tastes. They say it gets better after sitting in the fridge a day or more. I must say, it sure was good right out of the processor. It is fresh, crunchy, tart but full of cranberry and orange flavor. What caught my attention about this recipe is that it had all of my Mom's cranberry salad mixture minus the jello. I think it is going to be very good with turkey.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2016 :  11:02:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, you dip the rosette iron in the batter then hold it in the hot oil to cook it. After it is off the iron you dust them with cinnamon sugar or powdered sugar. They are very good. Julie has two helpers to make the lefsa, and the cookies.Her mom used to help with the sandbuckles, but since her mental decline has become so much worse recently, I wonder if she will remember how.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9581 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9581 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2016 :  7:45:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds tasty Winnie. I love cranberries because of their tartness.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2016 :  07:37:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie - I will definitely be trying that recipe for Christmas! I don't have a food processor here yet, so it will have to wait until then. But my oh my does it look yummy! I bet it would be great on bread with leftover turkey sandwiches too!!!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2016 :  08:40:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am hungry for cookies!!
Winnie, I think it looked farmgirl too!! That was what I was trying for. My daughter Holly, when she was about 8 years old said, "Can the Turkey be whole on the table?" My granny and mom carved it before it went to the table, on a platter. Holly wanted it to look like pictures she saw in books! Mostly the Norman Rockwell famous Thanksgiving Painting! So every year since, we carve it at the table after the blessing while everyone is getting their sides dishes.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2016 :  11:17:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I served the bird whole. They are so pretty and brown. My DIL slices the meat and serves it that way.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

420 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
420 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2016 :  4:03:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Ladies,

Seems like I have been gone for a long time. We always have Turkey of course. Also, it isn't Thanksgiving Dinner without winter squash, homemade bread, mashed potatoes and gravy. Can't forget the stuffing and corn either. It's the one time I don't worry about the carbs and such.

I think my grand-daughter could make a whole meal with just squash and corn. She loves them.

Pumpkin pie for dessert. Sometimes we have pecan pie and apple too! Wish everyone liked cranberries. I seem to have to eat them all by myself. LOL! I do like cranberry, apple and orange salad though. Makes my dinner complete.

Mostly it's nice to have everyone together. Because of work schedules we had our dinner this past Saturday. It turned out very nice and we had lots of fun.

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

Each day we add to our legacy-good or bad. Our Daily Bread
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic This family must haves for Thanksgiving Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page