Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Sitting on the porch enjoying an August 2016 day!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Sitting on the porch enjoying an August 2016 day! Next Topic
Page: of 6

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2016 :  7:40:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your growing season is short, but very productive. My son said that as they drove from Wisconsin, up through North Dakota and all the way across Montana, there was wheat growing. He said they drove for eight hours across Montana with wheat on both sides of the highway. He was so amazed...he did not see fences anywhere, some Indians. I asked if they saw sunflowers, yes, in Kansas. So he did not get close to your place.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1229 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1229 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2016 :  8:17:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If he drove I94 he would have driven right by our farm. We are only 4 miles off the interstate. Yes, this is definitely wheat country, with most of that harvest wrapping up now.i make the most of our growing season with starting as many of my seeds indoors as I can and using my little portable greenhouse. It makes a huge difference.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado

Edited by - treelady on Aug 18 2016 8:19:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2016 :  06:24:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have had two rather sad gardening years. Last year my husband had such a pretty garden when we had a devastating hail storm. He replanted some tomatoes, etc. Another hail storm swept through and he gave up. This year we were so happy. The tomatoes were growing nicely, the potatoes and corn were looking good, when the flooding rains came. The potatoes rotted in the ground, the wind took the corn out and the tomatoes were so full of water they were just mush inside and began to ferment very quickly. Crazy...I have never seen anything like it. So I think we need to rethink the way we garden in Texas.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2016 :  06:48:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie, I know they spent the night in Williston, ND, but I do not know how they got there. Her sister lives near Eau Clare, Wisconsin. They stayed in Shelby, Montana the next night, got up and started out again.They stopped at a station to fill up with fuel, before they entered Glacier. Later in the park Wade was talking to a man who asked about the grill on their truck. He asked which way they came in. When Wade told him where they got gas, the man told him white people should never stop there. That was a bit frightening.My oldest grand daughter and her boy friend had talked to some of the young men there. They all had sticks. They said they had to fight every day to protect their belongings. They were all scarred up. It was 7:30 am when they stopped there. These young men were there waiting for beer sales to begin. Now that is a sad way to live...always fighting...always drinking. So sad.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2016 :  08:26:12 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Marilyn - these last few years have been bad for gardens here in east Texas, too. Here for the 3 previous years the grasshoppers ate everything in sight, including bark on some of the trees. Last year the pests were not as thick, but were still around. And the drought was terrible - our nearby lake was down over 14 inches. And as you said, this year the rains drowned everything. The lake came up and over its normal height in less than a month.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2016 :  11:12:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, I forgot about those miserable grass hoppers.
Probably 22years ago, the trees on either side of our lane made a beautiful shady tunnel. Very early one Sunday morning I walked Down the lane to get the newspaper. I was about a third of the way when I felt webs on my skin. I looked up and there were billions of little worms hanging by their webs. I picked up a stick and cleared my way, got the paper and swung that stick all the way back up to the house, 1/4 mile. I told my husband and he went to look. ARMY WORMS!
We called Wade. I had ever seen them, had heard my dad talk of them when I was a child. One of the neighbors had a crop duster come in and spray his property, of course we got some drift, and Wade attacked them with a ground spray. Thankfully they were killed out before they could eat too much. It reminds me of the plagues, mentioned in the Bible. Grasshoppers...Same thing.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6093 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6093 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2016 :  11:30:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boy that is really horrible, I have heard about those worms on Facebook, and the grasshoppers, Wow it does sound like the plaques in the bible. I have read about that but it is hard for me to imagine seeing that. I looked up army worm that was really something and the moth is pretty even though it is a bad moth.
They lay egg masses, that is something.
Well I hope things get better for you all soon.
Take care

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2016 :  2:28:41 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I could not walk out to the car without lots of grasshoppers jumping up with every step I took. It was horrible. And they left brown tracks when they were on the house. Very yucky.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6093 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6093 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2016 :  7:31:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooh that must have been horrible linda, I don't care much for grasshoppers, their feet stick to ya.

Have a good evening

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2016 :  10:40:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the time of year that any and all pests can just plain get out of control. We are fighting Zika virus down in Miami and it is spreading. These tropical patterns are a perfect habitat for any and all breeds of mosquitoes!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2016 :  12:54:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be very careful Winnie. That is scary stuff.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6093 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6093 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2016 :  2:48:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes be careful Winnie, that Zika Virus is scary.

Blessings.

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

sweettea59
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

Sherry
Longview Texas
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2016 :  12:46:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's starting to rain here again. But glad we had a little break with a little sunshine today.

Farmgirl Hugs & May all your Wishes come true.
Sherry
Farmgirl #2215
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6093 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6093 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2016 :  12:58:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you got some rain Sherry,
I was just watching some video's on a Haboob dust storm in Arizona, it was big.
Neat photos though for me to watch, it was bad for town.
I was on a trip with my family once and we were coming home through Kansas and ran into a dust storm, it was hard to see and after the car inside still had grit. I was glad to get out of that. I feel sorry for those in Arizona, it is huge.

Good weather here today, some fog and some sun.
My friend from Colorado just called and reminded me she will be here in Ferndale tomorrow. I hope it is clear.
It was sure good to talk to her.
Well have a good day!

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2016 :  1:19:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Out in the Texas panhandle, there have always been bad dust storms. I remember walking around with a wet wash cloth over my face, as a four year old. School kids would get off the bus and have to hold on to the barbed wire fence to get from the road to the house, because they could not see. It literally sand blasts the paint off of vehicles. It stings your skin, you cannot breathe, and your house is never really clean. My first year of marriage was spent in Midland, Texas. Fences are tile. I was told to get up early, do my wash, and hang it out so it would dry and I could get it in before 9:00am. Sure enough. As I was frantically grabbing things from the line it was there...a brown line growing taller and moving faster and faster. There were days I barely got inside before it hit. They did not come every day but several times a month.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Aug 22 2016 1:21:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2016 :  1:22:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is raining here. Yea! We need this blessing rain. Thank you, GOD.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6093 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6093 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2016 :  1:33:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, that must have been hard. So are you still in an area where they have bad dust storms?

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2016 :  2:09:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, thank goodness. But they still have the frequent dust storms.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6093 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6093 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2016 :  7:11:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not good.

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2016 :  7:18:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This morning Hadlee came to see me. She looked so cute, like a grown up young lady. Black pants, black vee neck tee and her bright and colorful New tennies. She was going with her sister to her mom's work. Then there was the all important driving test at 10:15am.Next she got lunch and then went to school. My son told me she had fun at school. That is awesome. She was also 16 today. We celebrated Sunday. Her sister lined me up for a job interview at her old private kindergarten. They need a helper for a four year old class. So I now have a wee job. No planning this time, just a helper.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2016 :  7:46:51 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Just what you needed, Marilyn. Another job? I thought you had retired - again. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2016 :  7:49:57 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Today I drove with 5 other quilter friends to Antlers, OK, to Betsy's Fabric Shop. We took 2 cars and it is a 2-hour drive. We had a great time, everyone bought some fabric at Betsy's (some more than others), had lunch, went to another fabric shop, bought some fabric, and came home. A great day. Long, though - met and left at 8 am and got home at 4:30 pm. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9588 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9588 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2016 :  03:30:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn,
Sounds like you'll be having fun this year! My granddaughter, Annie, starts school next Monday. She has lots of changes going on with a new baby coming tomorrow and school.

Linda, what better way to spend the day! Fabric shopping and lunch. Sounds like you had a good time with your friends.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2016 :  05:09:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, Annie is going to be busy. I remember going back to college when my son was two, fun but tiring. God bless her.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2016 :  07:49:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning,

Sitting here, enjoying my latte, and catching up! Always such a treat. You all have been busy. As for me, the busy pace of my life keeps me out of trouble. My little Pumpkin left for college on Wednesday! Wow, it went by so quickly! We did enjoy a couple of days together. Took a trip to the Vermont Country Store, had lunch and did a bit of shopping. It is such a nice place to visit.

DH is gone camping for a couple of days, so I have the house to myself. It's his annual time to himself! And of course I get to enjoy time to myself. I've been itching to get back into my quilting. It's been a while. With my power walking/jogging every night, it doesn't leave much time to do anything in the evening. This going to bed early is putting a damper on my quilting life! lol

Julie, Wow! you're always such a busy farmgirl. No wonder you get so much accomplished. You know what they say, "if you want something to get done, give it to a busy person" lol

Shannon, how is the moving going? Have you found a place?

Linda, you road trip sounds marvelous!

Winnie, the zika virus is definitely something to be worried. It is spreading so quickly. Florida with the swamps is an ideal place to breed! Do you have bats in Florida? I hear they love mosquito! We have bats, it is neat to watch them fly around at night.

Marilyn, I can't imagine living in a place where there are dust storms. Goodness ...

Take care everyone! Catch you later!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Sitting on the porch enjoying an August 2016 day! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page