Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Sitting on the porch enjoying an August 2016 day!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Sitting on the porch enjoying an August 2016 day! Next Topic
Page: of 6

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2016 :  10:23:09 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like he likes your son's tractor. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2016 :  08:10:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, after that evening when we had problems learning how to drive it, now he is confident. Driving a tractor is something I never learned to do. A life time of farm living and I never did. I decided that if I learned...It would be added to my jobs list, and subtracted from his.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2016 :  08:45:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,

Bonnie, what a great feeling to finally finish your quilt. Congratulations!

Denise, how is your grand daughter's quilt coming along? Looking forward to seeing finished pictures. With your hand made Christmas gift mission, are you planning on working on a MJF badge?

Winnie, Great apple find! Our apple season starts in September. Looking forward to it! Your Apple swap sounds fun!

Here it has been busy. Pumpkin is back from Boy Scout camp a few days early. Hurry! What a surprise it was to get a text yesterday letting me know she was on her way. It's been a busy summer for her with Nicaragua and working away from home. But, she loved every minute and that, is what's important.

I continue to take my jogging/power walk most evenings and because I walk up to the Canadian border, I often think of Darlene who asked me a while back what it looked like. Well Darlene, this is the end of my street.

Until the interstate was built, the street I reside was the main route in and out of Canada. After the village limit, it changes into Meridian street and is zoned agriculture. Here is a picture of the old US Custom office no longer in use:

This is what I see along my walk - Corn fields on sun set!:

Enjoy your day everyone! Cheers!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Aug 16 2016 08:47:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2016 :  08:54:47 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like I will be babysitting the next week or so for my twin grandsons. They are home schooled, so thinking of ideas to keep them occupied and reinforce their school subjects. I love Marilyn's ideas (from the Weather thread). I've got my thinking cap on now. Since the twins are 9 - will be 10 in 3 months - I need some heavy duty ideas. LOL!

Recipes would teach fractions. So would sewing. I was thinking I could give them squares and triangles and have them design a quilt block with them. Then I could cut out the pieces and they could sew it together. I have several hand crank machines they could use. I also thought about having them sew Christmas presents - a rag quilt, an easy table runner, ornaments for other grandmothers, etc. But then to have them keep a secret as to what the gifts are - well, kids can't always hold on to secrets very long. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2016 :  11:42:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, I didn' t realize you were so close to Canada.I love that you live in your very old home. I love old homes.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Aug 16 2016 11:43:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

420 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
420 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2016 :  12:15:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember custom offices like that one when we went through Canada to go to upper NY state to visit family. We went through Ogensburg. Can't remember the city or town on the other side of the border. Going through Canada cut off quite a few miles for us. Mom and Dad were all for that. Having 5 kids in the car for 12 to 14 hours could be trying. Lol We all loved it though. Miss those days and my family.

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

Each day we add to our legacy-good or bad. Our Daily Bread
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2016 :  3:22:40 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Nice pictures, Carole, and interesting walking scenery.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Aug 16 2016 3:23:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2016 :  10:14:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonderful photos, Carole! Your morning walking path is lovely!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9588 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9588 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2016 :  3:10:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BeautifulI pictures Carole! Getting things done around here so I can enjoy my time when the new baby gets here I have about 2 weeks yet and haven't done much since I got the quilt topfinished. I may have to quilt by machine which I have never done before, but my daughter says it isn't difficult so I guess I'll find out. In order to get it done in time. Hand quilting takes me a long time because I only get bits of time to work on it.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Aug 17 2016 3:39:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6093 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6093 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2016 :  6:59:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice pictures Carole, looks like a great place to walk, not hilly.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2016 :  7:08:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tonight, I was reminded of the most pleasant sound...gentle rain falling on a tin roof. I was feeding the calf and filling water buckets, I wanted to stay. My grandma had a tin roof and I loved the sound when it rained. Most of the custom homes my son builds have metal roofs, but they are so well insulated you can not hear what is happening outside.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2016 :  8:49:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, I thought of the most fun science lesson. This time of year banana spiders make large webs, usually on out buildings, but sometimes on your house. It is fun for children to catch insects to feed the spider. Toss the insect up on the web and watch the spider rush over, inject it with some "sleepy medicine" and roll up her supper to save for later.We usually found a few grasshoppers, Katydids, crickets etc. Be sure to check the next morning to see her trash down below and her web nicely repaired. Eventually she will not eat because it is time to make her sack and lay her eggs in it.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9588 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9588 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2016 :  8:51:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are finally getting some much needed rain. I just hope as hard as it is coming down that I have some garden left when it is through. When it rains it pours! Who ever said that knew what they were talking about!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2016 :  9:02:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rain is such a blessing to our dry, parched land. I hope your grades is ok.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9588 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9588 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2016 :  04:53:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems to be fine Marilyn, thanks. We need the 4ain. We had so much in this spring and then July came and we have only had about 3 times that we have had some since. Happy to get it. We are supposed to be having cooler temps soon too!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2016 :  05:42:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I walked outside early this morning and was amazed at how the plants and weeds look so happy and lively. There is something about rainfall and humidity that gets plants excited, when my well water drinks only keep them alive. This morning, as yesterday, it is almost like a green house (what I imagine the garden of Eden might have been like) out there. God is sooooooo good.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2016 :  10:47:23 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I love the gentle rains we've been getting - sometimes. I think Marilyn has had more rain than we have had here in east Texas. My grass HAD turned to yellow and felt like straw - but it likes the rain and is turning back to green.

Marilyn - We have fed the banana spiders before. Yes, that's a great idea. I have seen several of the sacks hanging around. Have to watch them for webs.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2016 :  11:04:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda - Is Michelle finally getting her surgery??? Praying so!!! What are the kids studying in school? For example, in Science, my kids just finished up Astronomy and we are about to tackle Botany, which I am SUPER excited about!!! I think I am going to add studying herb fairies and flower fairies to it. Anyways, depending on what the boys are or will be studying, you can do something along those lines... For history, my boys especially like living history books, which works great for reading as well. Or you can do the unit study route, where you explore a topic in all different directions, such as if they enjoy dinosaurs you can read about them (reading and history), set up an archealogic dig (science), look where their bones have been found (geography), write a penpal regarding what they have leaned (english, spelling and handwriting), and make a comparison chart of their sizes along with dinosaur cookies (math). If you give us topics, I am sure we can help you come up with lots of ideas :)

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1229 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1229 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2016 :  11:52:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This what I have been up to this week.

Plus I canned 16 pints of green beans, 12 pints of bread and butter pickles and put 2 gallons of broccoli in the freezer. I just came in from the garden again with more of everything so it looks like I will be doing the same thing again for a few days. But it is all a blessing and I don't need to go grocery shopping, which I hate doing. Have a great day everyone.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6093 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6093 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2016 :  1:48:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith your tomatoes look wonderful and yummy. Would be great in my soups.

Lots of work so worth it.

Shannon sounds like your homework gets tough at times but very interesting subjects.

Have a good day everyone.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2016 :  2:30:06 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Shannon -

Unfortunately, Michelle still has not had her surgery. Workman's Compensation finally came to the conclusion that her injury was not work related (despite all of the documentation that said it WAS a result of her volunteer firefighter training) so will not pay for the surgery needed. She is now working through her insurance and trying to get the surgery that way, but she has to do many of the preliminary tests all over again. And this could take a long while again.

Thanks for the suggestions on lessons. I'll try to pull some of those together for them.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9588 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9588 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2016 :  3:22:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie, you have definitely been busy and looks like you will be for awhile. Isn't it great to have your garden goodies put up though. There's just something about the satisfaction from doing it ourselves. They look wonderful by the way. Will be lots of good things cooking at your house this winter!!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2016 :  3:29:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie I am amazed that you have such an abundance of produce. Do you plant your garden in mid June, like some of the folks in Wisconsin? You had better results than we did, by far.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2016 :  3:47:34 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
WOW, Julie! You sure have been busy. I wish I knew how to can.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1229 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1229 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2016 :  5:58:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn I always use the target date of Memorial weekend for my garden plants. The seeds usually go in the ground a week or two earlier and the cool weather crops go in right after the last frost, usually around the first of May. If I waited until mid June I probably wouldn't get much since we can get a frost anytime after Labor Day. This year my garden and the weeds have done very well with all the rain we had in July (over 10") and so far 3" for August. I am still mowing the lawn every 4 days and that hardly ever happens in August. Thanks Denise, your right there is great satisfaction seeing my pantry shelves and freezer fill up.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Sitting on the porch enjoying an August 2016 day! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page