Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Sitting on the porch enjoying an August 2016 day!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Sitting on the porch enjoying an August 2016 day! Next Topic
Page: of 6

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2016 :  04:26:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bonnie you have been and are so busy. I admire all that you younger women are doing. Enjoy this time.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2016 :  06:57:42 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Bonnie -

You seem to be the busy one. I've been traveling as much as I can, which is what I like to do. Trying to plan a cruise now for the fall - thinking of leaving from San Juan, PR, and going to several islands. I am wondering about all the Zika hype in those areas, though.

I wish you could come and help me clean out stuff. When I bought this old house - built in 1902 - I intended to decorate and furnish sparsely. Unfortunately, I kept finding small tables and other items that I thought I needed at thrift/antique shops and estate sales at great prices. Now I want to get rid of some of this eclectic clutter. LOL!

It is supposed to be 102 today, so won't be sitting out on my porch. The landscapers are STILL working on my flagstone and concrete work; they are taking a lot longer than they said it would take. And they are making a mess - that they SAY will ALL be cleaned up before they leave. I'll probably have to stand out there and supervise.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017

Edited by - quiltee on Aug 08 2016 07:00:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2016 :  08:03:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, I hope you are not paying your landscapers by the hour or the day.
My house has also gained too much stuff over the years.
Our location is not a garage sale location. So, I try to come up with ways to use the things in a different place, etc. It does not always work.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2016 :  10:55:13 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Nope - was a price for the entire job. Luckily, I guess. A lot of money. Although they take a lot of breaks - sometimes leaving for lunch and not returning. Stretching it out.

I don't have enough space to reuse - only the house, the separate guest house/craft "studio" (that is mainly storage right now), and the garage. Some of the tables I could probably paint and use outdoors - let it weather. But I will probably post it for sale on Varagesale.com - it is a free site that has many different location groups. May or may not be in your area. I've sold several things there.

I also have 2 old lighting fixtures that I need to sell - ones I've replaced in the house here.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Aug 08 2016 10:56:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9588 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9588 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2016 :  12:38:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Busy here grabbing bits of time to work on the quilt for my granddaughter. Summer is such a busy, busy time for everyone. We have to cram everything into it that we can't do over Winter I guess. I have alot of my Christmas gifts done. I want to have it all done by the first birthday in September. There are 5 of those before the holiday gets here. I figured the sooner I start the sooner I can get done and enjoy baby time when it gets here. 2 1/2 weeks till that happens and about 3 weeks before I head out there to help.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2016 :  2:29:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are super busy! Enjoy helping with and getting to know your new grand baby.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2016 :  9:26:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love being called "young" I am 74. I don't think that is old but I still love the thought. Thanks

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2016 :  04:32:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning all :) It is a lovely morning this morning - rain is in the air, even as drops are still clinging to the edge of the leaves from the storms during the night. The air is thick and the smell is evident that more showers are quickly approaching. Hubby is in the kitchen making himself some eggs before he heads to class. The children are upstairs brushing their teeth, getting ready for the day, and chattering. The dog is lying in the middle of the floor, enjoying the clean floor for the short time period before toys will be strewn everywhere ;) Today is going to be a "routine" day... my walk is going to have to wait until this evening, after the rain clears up. School with the children will hopefully be accomplished. Normal everyday chores need to be done... laundry, dishes, scrubbing the kitchen and bathrooms, sweeping the floors, vacuuming...

Linda - are the landscapers any closer to getting done???

Denise - I love that you are going to go help after your grandbaby is born!!!! Way to go on the Christmas presents! With all we have had going on this year, I don't have any gifts made yet! It is going to be a scramble!!!

Bonnie - yup - you are young :)

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2016 :  05:00:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, I love your description of the rain. We have hopes for some this weekend. We are so dry...and hot.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2016 :  4:50:54 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The landscaping is getting closer to being done, though not complete yet. I have been buying plants now, to replace all those in the beds that I had them remove. I am finding that working with contractors and other people like that is very hard when you live in the country. They seem to be on a different time schedule - their own. AND they don't seem to want to work, even though they need the income to support their families. I just don't understand that.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2016 :  7:59:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am glad they are getting closer to being done.
My family left hot Texas a week ago yesterday. They were leaving Wisconsin Monday, when he asked this question, "Did any of you bring a sweatshirt or a jacket? Do you realize you are going to freeze where we are going?" He knew it would be cold and put in a couple of warm things. He was working right up until they left here, and I guess Julie did not think. So they made a stop and purchased some sweat shirts etc. It was 59 yesterday as they traveled across northern Montana. Today it was cooler in Glacier park. He said the very dense fog seemed to have a bit of sleet in it, as he tried to bring them safely down the mountain. I am glad they are cool for a couple of weeks.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6093 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6093 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2016 :  8:24:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is colder than here,
where is Glacier park? Sounds like a great trip anyway.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2016 :  8:30:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is in Montana.Beautiful.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6093 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6093 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2016 :  7:22:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh I really bet it is beautiful!

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2016 :  7:53:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They all have said it is breath taking, so beautiful. Hadlee got sick today...nerves over an extremely narrow path over a mountain, with a sheer drop off. We got to talk to her tonight. They are out of the park area now, heading south west. Hadlee said they are two hours from Yellow Stone now.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2016 :  05:31:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We were in Asheville, NC all week visiting my daughter and brother. It was cooler up there because we kept having intermittent rain showers, but so much nicer than the horrible tropical hot and humidity of Florida. Such a nice respite!!

And.............look what I found at the farm stand in Asheville

Yep, early apples have arrived. The red ones are early Gala apples and the green ones are Sweet Sunshine (I think I have that name right??) The green ones are more tart like a Granny Smith and are a local apple and not available in the regular stores. I was so excited to find them.

And don't forget that September starts our 2nd Annual Farmgirl Apple Festival at the main Forum. Remember last year's celebration? The culmination ends with Apple Pie Sunday on the last Sunday of September which is September 25. Be sure to mark your calendars and join in the fun over at the main Chatroom. I will be offering an Apple Giveaway with sign up starting soon so that I can mail it at the beginning of the month for the winner to enjoy. Also, I will be hosting an Apple Themed Swap here at our SPG HenHouse. I hope you will join in the fun!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9588 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9588 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2016 :  07:13:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, one of the reasons we dislike having to hire someone for a job.

Winnie, yum! Those apples will be made into something delicious I'm sure! Looking forward to the Apple time of year.
Two more weeks til grandbaby's arrival. Three more till I meet her.
Still have to find a reasonably priced flight.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2016 :  07:44:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, those apples look yum. I am glad it is almost Apple pie time.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2016 :  08:05:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you need a good farm girl laugh? Last night, almost dark, the girl my son hired to feed and water while he was gone, told my husband she needed a big round bale of hay placed near the horse barn. She had fed the one Wade placed there, before they left. It took my husband and the girl on the tractor and me on the phone twice with Wade, who was driving from White Fish to Bozeman, to get the hay moved. The tractor had a bale on both front and back, but none of us had ever driven his tractor with all of the levers and knobs. Question one, first call, how do you pick the back bale up off the ground?? Second call, all on speaker phone, how do you make the tractor go forward??? And all the while I am thinking that since he drives the tractor every day, it is automatic to him...but trying to explain it to us...well that took a few minutes. We three cheered as it moved finally. The hay was moved and a new bale was speared on to the front of the tractor. Wade insisted on that, as I was asking why, for safety, so no one would run into the spears and get hurt. Now that explains why I have seen the forks(spears) turned down in front of the parked tractor...safety. Farm life is never dull.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6093 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6093 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2016 :  11:56:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoa, that makes since. That must have been fun to learn anyway.
hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2016 :  12:04:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie - Oh my those apples look delicious! We may stop on our way out west to pick some apples from our favorite orchard - I'll have to look into it. Of course at this point, we still do not know WHEN we are moving!!! I am so hoping to be able to join your apple swap! I've been wanting to join the Fall swap and still might.... just waiting to see what happens!!!

Denise - so excited about your grandbaby! My niece had her baby a few weeks ago. She lives with her mom (my sister), and I know she has appreciated all the help!

Marilyn - I have never thought about how hard it would e to explain different aspects of farmlife, on the phone! What a great story!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6093 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6093 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2016 :  12:31:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie what pretty apples! They look juicy!

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2016 :  12:35:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, I hope the military does not keep you too long. Snow can fall pretty early or late in the north.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2016 :  5:02:45 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Marilyn - great story! Love it! Ed is looking to buy a used tractor - so far hasn't found the one he wants at a good price. Some have a lot more levers than others. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2016 :  8:07:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, tonight my husband went to the barn, got on that tractor and brought a big round bale, through a gate I had to open and keep the horses away, and successfully dropped it into a hay rack. He was very pleased with himself. Then he went and picked up the safety bale and parked the tractor. Hadlee called this afternoon and said they had been to Yellow Stone and were near Cody. Cell service is iffy at best up there.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Sitting on the porch enjoying an August 2016 day! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page