True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  9:44:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sarah-

I have known a lot of people who swear by WW. I hope the program works really well for you!

Tonight I slipped a little and bought some Ice Cream. But I only gave myself a little and I think we all deserve a treat now and then. Fiance brought home pop earlier this week. I haven't even had one! I was tempted today since I haven't got much sleep the last couple of nights and a sugary caffeine boost sounded pretty good...

I am looking forward to seeing if I have lost any weight by Monday. I need to get on a good walking schedule and stick to it. Perhaps tomorrow I can get all four of us out for a family stroll- Fiance, Me, Nora and the dog Sky. :) Wish me luck!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  10:49:26 AM  Show Profile
It's so helpful to be reading what everyone's doing here - so far I've been cutting down on the bready stuff in my diet. WOW, do I ever LOVE a good bread. It's a hard one for me - even harder than cutting down sugar. This morning I had scrambled farm eggs, fruit and coffee - with all of that goodness, I can hardly believe that I really missed toast. I suppose it's as much a habit as anything else...

The South Beach diet sounds like the food is so good and healthy - thanks for the "how to" part, Judy - I might try that one, but it seems like it takes so much discipline. Can your family eat the same foods that you do? Would it work since I'm cooking for a husband with a large appetite? Luckily, my little boy will eat anything I cook, so I don't worry so much about him...

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  12:50:33 PM  Show Profile
I've lost 100 pounds. (I gained about 10 lbs during pg, then all of it plus two pounds were gone one week after the baby was born-she's 7 months now-I stuck very strictly to my diabetic diet during pg-I'm a diabetic type 1. So it was important I didn't gain much weight and ate very healthy and on the diet plan.). I did healthyexchanges.com and richard simmons. I would like to lose more though. I weigh about the same as you Alee. And would also like to lose like 25 lbs. I'm only 4'7 so by charts I will still be over weight. BUT, I would be happy at that weight.

The first couple of years on my weight loss program I ate ice cream nearly every night. I've had lots of brands, as the brands seem to come and go. (Weight watchers for instance used to have 1/2 gallon sizes that were sugar free with splenda and delish! I loved their moose tracks! Skinny cow too had 1/2 gallons their strawberry cheese cake and peanut butter cookie was the best! Now both these brands no longer make 1/2 gallons). The latest ones I like is Edy's. Their double churned is really good. I really like the american idol yellow cake and frosting flavor! lol And now they have some kind of mix in's style (can't think of the official name they call it). But, I want to try the butterfingers one! (not real high in calories at all!). Then I seen at Super Walmart Bryers has some new ones, one is Mexican Fried ice cream (which I LOVE the real thing, so I want to try it!) and the other is chocolate covered pretzel! None of the latter are advertized as low calorie, or sugar free. However, they are all just as low in calorie as the sugar free and low calorie counter parts of other brands! (around 120-140 cals 1/2 cup). I also love Blue Bunny! All theirs I have tried are delish! But, they don't sell Blue Bunny here in NYC (at least not the low cal versions yet, I just started seeing the regular blue bunny starting here with in the last year, so maybe some day!). I hated the Bryers sugar free ice cream as it had a gritty texture. But, I am hoping the mexican fried ice cream one will taste good as it is not sugar free. But, I seen it at Super Walmart and that was in Pensilvania. It wouldn't have made it home with out melting. So, I will have to look for it locally. lol

Also if you don't want to "buy" ice cream cause you are scared you will eat too much. I have found I love to make smoothies that are real LOW calorie and taste great and almost like ice cream. I make several versions, I think they are South Beach friendly but I can't be for sure. Here's the basic recipe, and I got it from the Mayo Clinic-

1 cup frozen strawberries (keep them frozen so it's like ice cream!)
1 cup milk (I use fat free, and usually hood's calorie countdown, or a 8th continent light version)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
splenda to taste (I like 4 packets, as frozen strawberries with out syrup/sugar seem to be pretty tart).

That taste like a strawberry milk shake!

For different versions I like to use Hood's calorie countdown chocolate milk (2% with splenda, and is only 90 cals a cup) instead of regular milk.

or 3/4 cup milk (vanilla or regular milk) and 1/4 cup of a light oj (like the 10 calorie kinds).

I've tried other methods of getting a chocolate strawberry taste in this smoothie, but the Hood's chocolate milk has had the most success, I've tried cocoa powder, diet hot cocoa mix, and sugar free chocolate syrup and I didn't care for any of those versions.

I've also tried other frozen fruits like blueberries and such, and I never like them as well as the strawberry. Others who I have told this recipe to, and tried it with other berries told me the same, they preferred the strawberries.

Also you must put all these ingredients in the blender at once, if you don't put all the ingredients in before you start to blend, it will be too thick to ever get the splenda and/or vanilla to mix in. It makes a very thick shake. And a VERY large shake. Actually half the recipe would be a good snack. A full recipe is if you are really really hungry! As it fills up a 20 oz glass for me, and is huge. lol I like a lot of food so I never cut the recipe in half but a lot of my friends do. lol

Any way I don't eat so much ice cream now though as I find cereal and milk fills me up more now. lol

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Apr 28 2007 1:04:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  3:14:53 PM  Show Profile
That is one thing I never got on to ....ice cream. We always have it in the freezer as hubby loves it and we are dairy farmers so we have to support our living (LOL!!) It's salty that I have a problem with. I stopped buying chips as I would eat an entire large bag in one sitting. I am eating "bits and bites" low sodium version. they are good and I am not as tempted to eat the whole bag. I am trying to ween myself offof those and on to Crispy mini's (rice cakes but smaller and crispier). I will take a look at the library for the south beach diet book. It does sound good!!!

"learn to watch snails" SARK
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  09:08:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I had to stop buying chips as well. I love sitting down with a bag and then I find I have eaten that whole thing! Yikes! Sweet and salty both appeal to me. I am an equal opportunity snacker! :)

Alee
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  09:20:53 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Libbie, yes, your family can eat the same things that you do on the South Beach diet.
AND I SHOULD MAKE IT CLEAR THAT THE STRICT PART I DESCRIBED IS ONLY THE FIRST TWO WEEKS - NOT FOREVER!!!
If I were cooking for a family, and to keep costs down, I would fix the chicken breasts for myself (leaner) and thighs or the rest of the chicken for the family...so you could have a roast chicken dinner, you would eat the breast meat...you could make potatoes and gravy for them and the veggies and salad...there you have a meal for the family, and you just eat the part you can. Same with a roast or lean pork chops or turkey...I have had a hamburger patty and like I said, make turkey meatballs - then you can have meatballs and spaghetti sauce, with pasta for the family, and you just have more veges and salad, no pasta. But again, this is just for the first two weeks that it is so strict.
Then you add back in some fruits and whole grains. They have a recipe for oatmeal pancakes which aren't half bad. I love oatmeal and you blend it with cottage cheese and egg white I think...and then a berry topping with Splenda instead of syrup.
So the main thing is that you are cutting out white sugar and white flour from your life - for the most part. Replacing it with healthy sweeteners and whole grains. And then if you start to feel that the chocolate is making your pants shrink, you just go back on the strict plan for two weeks and you're good to go!
I would be happy to share any of the recipes I've mentioned, if folks are interested. The crustless quiche is great, the roast vegetables, the ricotta dessert, the cauliflower "mashed potatoes" (even my sister's husband ate them!) and the oatmeal pancakes.
Good luck, all! Judy

The Rooster crows, but the Hen lays the egg. ~ Texas Proverb
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  09:54:43 AM  Show Profile
I don't eat many chips either. There is some soy chips out though that are pretty low in cals. I also tried "skinny chips" they weren't too bad. But more like cheese puff texture then chip texture. I also like these air fried veggies I think they are called that are like chips but all veggie no oil etc. And very low in calories. The red onion ones taste the best! The celery was the WORST! lol The carrot ones are so so, I wouldn't buy them, but they were "ok" with a little odd/weird taste. But, the Red Onion were delish!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  2:19:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Judy-

I would love some of your recipes, especially the crust-less quiche and the ricotta dessert. I have so many eggs in my fridge right now- the quiche would be perfect!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  4:28:51 PM  Show Profile
Hey Judy...I would love some recipes too!!

Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  11:35:29 AM  Show Profile
Ladies, I started a new thread to post our Monday morning weigh-ins. Nothing like a little accountability to keep us on the straight and narrow -- which is what we are aiming for right?? Straight and at least a little narrow-er!!

I've learned that it takes as much time and energy to wish as it does to plan.

Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  1:08:51 PM  Show Profile
Okay - I'll post the recipes as soon as I can - my book is at home and I'm at work :-) Judy

Recipes (and I will say, you can google South Beach Diet and get to their website and join free for 7 days and find out more...but it seems there is some info on the website...but your library should have the book, or just do like I did and just sit and peruse it at the bookstore :-)

Vegetable Quiche Cups To Go
10 ounces frozen chopped spinach
3/4 cup liquid egg substitute
3/4 cup reduced fat shredded cheese
1/4 cup diced green bell peppers
1/4 cup diced onions
3 drops hot pepper sauce
Microwave the spinach for 2-1/2 minutes on high. Drain excess liquid. (I have just poured boiling water over the spinach in a bowl, let it set for about 3 minutes (or until I get back to it) and the put in a strainer.)
Line a 12-cup muffin pan with foil baking cups. Spray the cups with baking spray. (Here again, I did this, but now I use a baking pan, like a sheet cake pan, and just oil it with olive oil.)
Combine all ingredients. Divide evenly among muffin cups or pour into baking pan. Bake at 350F for 20 minute, until knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Quiche can be frozen and reheated in the microwave. Any combination of appropriate vegetables and reduced fat cheese can be used.
SO WHAT I DO: I've used fresh zucchini, fresh mushrooms, fresh broccoli (or frozen) and sundried tomatoes, and any kind of cheese I have on hand. Feta is really good to mix in with mozzarella or what have you. I figure if it is on the Okay To Eat list for Phase I, it is good to go in my quiche!

Oven Roasted Vegetables
1 medium zucchini, cut into bite size pieces
1 medium summer squash, bite size pieces
1 medium red bell pepper, bite size pieces
1 medium yellow bell pepper, bite size pieces
(I say NONSENSE! Green bell peppers are usually much cheaper, so that is what goes into my recipe! Who are they kidding?)
1 pound fresh asparagus, bite size pieces
1 red onion (or yellow or brown or...)
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon salt (I've never put this in and never missed it!)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (this I put in)

Heat oven to 450F. Place all vegetables in a large roasting pan, toss with olive oil, (salt) and pepper and mix to coat. Roast for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are lightly browned and tender.
(My note: this can be frozen in individual portions.)

Surprise South Beach Mashed "Potatoes"
4 cups cauliflower florets
1 ounce I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray
1 ounce Land O'Lakes Gourmet Fat-Free half/half
Pinch salt
Pinch freshly ground black pepper

Steam or microwave cauliflower until soft. Puree in food processor or blender, adding butter spray and half/half to taste. Season with salt & pepper.

Mocha Ricotta Creme Dessert
1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1/2 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 package sugar substitute
Dash espresso powder
5 mini chocolate chips

Mix together all but espresso powder and chocolate chips. Serve chilled with a dusting of espresso powder and chocolate chips.

(WHAT I DO...)
1 tub of part-skim ricotta cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 packages (or to taste) sugar substitute
grated dark chocolate, about 1 ounce

Mix it all up and I add about 1/4 cup chopped walnuts...this is pretty good.

I also like the lime zest ricotta creme, where you use:
1/2 cup ricotta part-skim
1/4 teaspoon grated lime zest
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 package sugar substitute

but I don't always have the patience to grate the lime. Also, I use lemon or lime flavor instead of the vanilla (duh!)

Okay, so here's a sample lunch:
Day 5
Gazpacho (page 149)
Grilled sirloin hamburger steak (no bun)
tossed salad (mixed greens, cucumbers, green peppers, cherry tomatoes)
olive oil and vinegar to taste

So, I have a favorite recipe for gazpacho, so I would have that...the hamburger patty is pretty basic and then the salad. Well, if I don't have cherry tomatoes to hand, I don't have them, cause there is plenty of tomatoes in the gazpacho...I just adapt their menu to what I have but I keep within their guidelines.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions...Judy

Edited by - JudyBlueEyes on Apr 30 2007 9:47:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  9:52:42 PM  Show Profile
Forgot the Oatmeal Pancakes:
1/2 cup old fashioned oatmeal
1/4 cup low-fat cottage cheese (or tofu)
4 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract,
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Process all in a blender until smooth. Spray a nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Add batter and cook over medium heat until both sides are lightly browned.
You can top the pancake with a low-sugar syrup of your choice. Serves One.

That's it for now! Judy

Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - May 01 2007 :  04:51:26 AM  Show Profile
Thanks ssssoooooooo much Judy. That is very nice of you to copy out those recipes for us!!!

Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - May 01 2007 :  07:47:07 AM  Show Profile
You're most welcome, Melanie! And I forgot - Alee mentioned she has a lot of eggs to use up right now and the quiche recipe says egg substitute. In the book, the doctor says if you don't have a problem with cholesterol, then it is okay to eat eggs. So I usually use 4 fresh eggs and a cup of egg substitute, but I have used all eggs in the recipe too. You can tell that I make more than the recipe. These things do freeze well and I cut them up in serving size pieces and wrap them in saran wrap and freeze them. Also in the oatmeal pancakes, I just used an egg... Judy

Edited by - JudyBlueEyes on May 01 2007 07:48:55 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic 25lbs to lose Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page