Page: of 2

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2007 :  4:28:37 PM  Show Profile
We recently bought 33 acres just outside a small town. Someone has been using it as a dump, so we put up a locked gate and began cleaning up. Now someone is just dumping at our gate, blocking our access road with a couch, of all things.

I've reported it, but unless we catch someone in the act, there seems to be little else we can do. No one lives along this bit of road, so it isn't easy to keep an eye on.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Sometimes the good in some people is real hard to spot.

shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2007 :  5:49:57 PM  Show Profile
If you havent already I would put up "NO DUMPING WILL PROCECUTE" signs and include the fine amount if you can find that out. This is a tough one because like you said if you dont catch them in the act it is hard to deal with them. If you find some mail with an address on it you can have the sheriff contact them and make them clean it up and possibly they would fine them also.

Sorry I wasnt more help

Shelle

http://janzenfamilyjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2007 :  6:39:41 PM  Show Profile
I've posted about this in the past, too. Like Shelle said, there isn't much you can do unless you catch them in the act or find something with a name on it. It's been an on and off issue for over 30 years at my in-laws country property. I hate having to be suspicious of all the neighbors - always wondering which guy passing in his pickup truck is the one who thinks it's ok to foul our nest instead of his, you know?

My tech savvy friends suggested going to one of those spy shops and mounting some surveillance cameras. We never looked into it seriously, but it might be a way to catch a license plate number.
Go to Top of Page

2 Red Barns
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Jamie
Bay City Michigan
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2007 :  6:45:50 PM  Show Profile
I think I would take pictures of the messes they are leaving for you...I know that when the time comes it will be handy to have. I knew a lady that had so much dumped on a part of her property she had to have a dumpster brought in for removal...she took pictures first then went to the police...I believe she turned something in also to her homeowners insurance for the cost of dumpster and her time for cleaning up. It's awful you have to go to all of that. I hope it stops for you. Jamie
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2007 :  7:57:37 PM  Show Profile
I second the call for a security camera. You can find cheap discreet ones that could be mounted in a tree. That way you can hopefully get their license plate number, which you can take to the police when you file a report. It may be the only way to get it to stop. And make sure you post your land so there's no dispute that they're leaving stuff on your property when you've made notice it's not allowed.

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

Now Open!: http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2007 :  04:09:36 AM  Show Profile
A trail camera will get pictures of the dumpers. Ours is motion activated. P

Robin
www.outdoorwriter.wordpress.com
www.thymeforewe.com

Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2007 :  10:21:38 AM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies! I looked into some cameras last night, and today I'll have to go to town to get some signs. I really appreciate your ideas. I'll start taking photos. I will continue to expect the best in people. Thanks so much. :)

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2007 :  12:03:25 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
Maybe standing there with a shot gun when they show up! lol

Seriously, my dad had this problem. They dug thru the trash and found papers that had a name on them. People that are too lazy to properly dispose of their trash are more than likely too lazy to take important info out of their trash.

Blessings....
Sarah

"In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations." -From The Great Law Of The Iroquois Confederacy.

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE!!!!

http://mustangsuzie.wordpress.com

Go to Top of Page

Vintage Redhead
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2007 :  12:45:51 PM  Show Profile
It always grinds my butt when the law seems to be on the side of those who will break it instead of those of us who don't!! If it were me, I would:

Take photographs and call the local paper. Tell them about the "lost couch" to report and provide the photographs to back it up:

"Does you recognize this couch? If so, please call 555-5555 so that it may be returned to the proper owner."

See what happens. If you get multiple calls all claiming that it belongs to "Doug Doofus" then I'd say the police would have to pay some pretty serious attention to your report. Just a suggestion.

And I think it is National Geographic that sells a motion-sensitive "Wildlife Camera" that is camo and can be mounted on a tree. ~ K

~ Kaylyn ~ (Living in Suburbia with a FARMGIRL Heart!)

My Cause: http://nickspavilion.blogspot.com/
My Life: http://vintageredhead.blogspot.com

Edited by - Vintage Redhead on Apr 05 2007 12:47:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2007 :  1:03:30 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
This happened to my Uncle's farm and the only thing he could do was get a videotape set up of the area. He camped out, out of sight of the people, and waited and recorded when they drove up. He slept in his camping tent just to catch them. They were depositing baby diapers and broken furniture. He brought the video tape to the police, he had the people and their license plate on film. They tried to deny until court, when the video tape was played. I think they paid a fine and had to do trash clean up along the roads for 1 month. Uncle has not had a problem since.
Go to Top of Page

shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2007 :  3:55:45 PM  Show Profile
Just make sure that your camera is well hidden if you go that route. I can just see them vandalizing it or stealing it. I like the idea of a hunting camera mounted in a tree though.

Shelle

http://janzenfamilyjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2007 :  5:22:25 PM  Show Profile
Um, yep. Got me some signs. Gonna sew an apron with a pistol pocket, pitch a tent, and call National Geographic.

Great advice...hope my joke isn't taken the wrong way.

Actually, there are cougars, so the shotgun is a practical idea in many ways, but what a big apron pocket that would take! I'll go smaller.

We have a lot of cover along the road, which is a bonus for hiding cameras. I really expect the signs, warnings, and getting the word out that the place isn't abandoned and isn't a dump, might do the trick. I've been in touch with the mayor and local police too. So, cross your fingers. I'll take a mug shot of the couch and see if we can identify/embarass the owner into coming "clean".

Thank you so much!

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2007 :  5:54:17 PM  Show Profile
I like it-- an apron with a pistol pocket! Us Washington gals can't be too careful. Still remember when we first moved here and we were renting a cabin on the top of a ridge our new neighbors came up to say hi. They are retired botantists probably in their mid 70's and Phyliss had a small pistol in her back jean's pocket and yes there were cougars in the area. JoAnn

I've always been called a dreamer, but I never listened. I did what others dare not do--lived my dream while they watched. Unknown
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2007 :  7:46:28 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
My Uncle hid is up in a tree and surrounded it with that netting they use for hunting.
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2007 :  8:02:18 PM  Show Profile
Now, that was weird. Went and put up signs today, and someone came and got the cushions off the couch. I think we have an indecisive dumper. Maybe they'll come get the rest of it? Gotta laugh. Crying on the keyboard ruined my last computer.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2007 :  8:04:50 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
Get a sign that says......."Insured by Smith and Wesson"

Blessings....
Sarah

"In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations." -From The Great Law Of The Iroquois Confederacy.

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE!!!!

http://mustangsuzie.wordpress.com

Go to Top of Page

Vintage Redhead
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2007 :  9:24:22 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by MustangSuzie

Get a sign that says......."Insured by Smith and Wesson"

Bwah hah hah hah hah!!!! PIMPL!!!! That's a good one! (I've got the water up my nose to prove it!) ~ K

~ Kaylyn ~ (Living in Suburbia with a FARMGIRL Heart!)

My Cause: http://nickspavilion.blogspot.com/
My Life: http://vintageredhead.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2007 :  9:42:33 PM  Show Profile
Nah, I looked for one of those. I'll have to buy the letters and make one. Hey, new project! I'll make it very farmgirl.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2007 :  9:11:24 PM  Show Profile
Hopefully this will be my last entry in this category...this evening we had phone calls from many people identifying the couch as belonging to the same person. Tomorrow we'll turn over the information. I'll be happy to have this person reclaim the couch and call it good. I hope to get more results with kindness than with prosecution. It is a small town, and we are building a dream there. Some seeds grow, some don't, but you just don't know unless you give it a try.

Again, thank you ladies for your suggestions. I'm still going to set up in case there is a next time.
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2007 :  06:28:02 AM  Show Profile
Great ending (I hope) to your story, Michelle!

Hopefully, this will be a lesson learned for many people, and it sounds like you already have some new "neighbors" who will be looking out for your interests.

Jo

"There are no strangers here, only friends you've yet to meet."
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2007 :  5:59:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Michelle-

Any updates? Did the couch get picked up?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2007 :  10:45:38 AM  Show Profile
Goodness prevails! Yes, Alee. The local officer went and had a chat with the person others identified as the owner of the couch. We drove out to water the orchard and vinyard, and the couch was gone at last. There have been no further "gifts" left for us. I would really like to believe that once people heard our story, they have decided it is best not to dump there. My husband is a volunteer firefighter and EMT, and has touched a lot of lives in this area over decades. I'd like to think that once people heard it was his place, they didn't want to trash our dream. :) I just wish people had that kind of respect for everyone.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2007 :  11:58:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Michelle-

It is really sad that people don't properly dispose of their trash... If they could get it all the way to your house I wonder why they did not take it to the dump?

I am glad that your situation got resolved :) So no cameras from National Geographic needed? ;)

Alee
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2007 :  12:10:32 PM  Show Profile
How about a little public humiliation? Take pictures of the dumped stuff and post it in the local store or deli -- wherever people gather. Write comments on the picture similar to what has been posted above.... "Apparently somebody is a little too lazy to dispose of their trash the RIGHT way and leaves it at our doorstep. If anyone has a clue as to who this may be, please let us know. We would be very grateful."

Or, "take a look at this couch -- no wonder they wanted to dump it, but not at my gate, please. If you are the one dumping, we are asking you - neighbor to neighbor - to please stop. We really don't want to have to involve the authorities."

I've tried to find a suitable exercise video for women my age...but they haven't made one called "Buns of Putty"
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2007 :  09:49:41 AM  Show Profile
Alee, our place is closer than the dump, and free. Some people find cheap and easy irresistable I guess, even when it is 1) hurtful to others and 2) illegal. It seems the tide has turned for us, and a lot of what has been suggested in this post was very helpful. We "caught the fly with honey".

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

elah
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Emily
SW Michigan
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2007 :  2:29:23 PM  Show Profile
I know you are joking about the gun thing but do be careful because that one can "backfire". My parents have always had to deal with the dumping issue on their farm. One time when the whole family was loaded up in the van leaving for weekend camping trip early in the morning my dad saw some guys in a truck tearing up his planted field and then dumping trashing out as they left. My dad was smoking hot. I don't think that I have ever seen him so mad. He chased the two guys and then he finally got them stopped he took the gun out from under the seat and told them that if ever saw them again on his property it would be the last time anyone ever saw them. Well, it scared the two guys so much that not only did they need to change their pants (if you know what I mean) but they also told the cops about it. My dad did get into trouble for threating them with a gun. The judge just told him never to do it again. However, no one EVER drove through his field or dumped on any of his ground again until two years ago (that a 17 year stretch!). After talking to a local county cop my dad started using tire stakes which works great. Not only do they cost the person a new tire or two but it also requires them to get towed usually (costing more money) and it gives the cops time to show up. After two people gave it a try my parents are once again free of dumpers/ mudders.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Ideas needed to stop dumping Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page