Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 How long do "your" small appliances last?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic How long do "your" small appliances last? Next Topic  

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  6:34:42 PM  Show Profile
I knew it just had to happen at some point! After cleaning the windows and curtains, I decided that I would iron the curtains before putting them back up. That's when my General Electric iron broke I don't know why it didn't last long. I just bought it in 1977!!! They don't make them like that anymore. I guess I'll just have to get one of those new fangled irons that shuts itself off this time.

Tina

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
www.kennelcreations.com

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  7:03:14 PM  Show Profile
I have only had two irons in my adult life (I am 48) and the last one only broke (10 years ago) cuz I dropped it about 300 times. I will get one that shuts off by itself next iron I get too. What a smart idea...the WOMAN who invented that was brilliant!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  7:27:42 PM  Show Profile
HAHA! Older things seem to last longer! Your iron is(was) older than me! I was born in 1978. The new one you but will probably only last 2 or 3 years!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  9:01:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
None of my appliances have lasted that long, but none of them have really broken yet either. Have you thought about getting it repaired if you are attached to it?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  9:11:46 PM  Show Profile
When my iron breaks... I really want a gravity feed Yamata. They are not $$ and the thing weighs about 5 lbs. It is a commercial one, so hopefully it would be the last one I would ever need to buy.

E-
BotanicalBath@peoplepc.com
www.Botanical-Bath.com

"I do my housework in the nude. It gives me an incentive to clean the mirrors as quickly as possible."
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  06:56:14 AM  Show Profile
The new iron is here! It looks just like my old one except they made it better. It is made by Black & Decker and it does have an automatic shut-off. It is the same black upper body with chrome bottom but it is still heavy. Oh well, you can't have everything. I hope it lasts a long time though. It was only about $10 more than I paid for the old one.

Tina

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

Michelle Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

Michelle
Many Louisiana
USA
158 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  6:56:23 PM  Show Profile
I always bought wal-mart $5 irons. Simply because I HATE ironing and I only do it when necessary. Last Summer we bought an Orek vacuum and air purifier because of my allergies and we got a free iron......... that is a GREAT iron. You can buy them without buying a vacuum they are pricey but well worth it. I hope it lasts as long as they claim the vacuums to last. I still only iron when necessary!!! hee hee
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  10:35:31 PM  Show Profile
I have an Oster blender that I received as a gift from my DH's coworkers when I was pregnant with my first daughter. It still works just fine - we replaced the cord once. My daughter is 35.
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2007 :  5:55:38 PM  Show Profile
I've had 3 food processors - the first two lasted for about 1 year each - I've had the last one (A Cuisinart) for about 25 years. Still going strong.

As far as irons go, I saw a Rowenta demonstrated that had a detachable container for water... What a great idea! No idea on price, but that's going to be my next iron when this one breaks.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

Edited by - brightmeadow on Jun 03 2007 5:56:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2007 :  6:06:14 PM  Show Profile
mine usually last as long as i want them to .. i just got an electric 'ice tea' maker .. and i LOVE IT!

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  12:50:25 PM  Show Profile
I don't remember what my first iron was. I took one of my mom's to college with me and that was in 1976 and I used it until, I suppose, the early 1990s. Then I bought a fancy-shmancy Rowenta. It leaked, it was always too hot and it always gummed up and needed to be cleaned. I suffered with that thing until I just couldn't take it any more. Being on a much tighter budget, I checked out sites like Epinions.com and was intrigued by the Sunbeam irons. I bought one at Target and I LOVE it!!!! I heats just right, no spitting and it has a non-stick base. AND it only cost me $20.

As for my other stuff, I've been married for 26 years and am on my second toaster, third mixer, 3rd coffee maker,1st coffee grinder and still have the same crock pot and electric knife I got for wedding gifts. I don't own a blender and I've had a mini processor for about 10 years. This isn't a small appliance, but I still have the same fridge (although it has been starting to be tempermental lately by freezing the milk solid).

Jana

Edited by - Jana on Jun 05 2007 12:55:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  3:47:34 PM  Show Profile
Mine usually outlast their welcome!! Meaning they usually go to the thrift store before they wear out.
I did get a new kitchen aid mixer for valentines day and I hope it lasts my lifetime!! I love it!!
2nd place would be my soy milk machine, I would have to get one ASAP if it went on the blink.

~~Bridge's Blog~~

Simply Stitches
Go to Top of Page

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  12:25:14 PM  Show Profile
I absolutely think older stuff lasts longer. I've got a kitchen aid mixer, which is a workhorse, but their blender was awful! I buy blenders at garage sales whenever I see them for no more than $5 dollars, so that solves that problems. Now if someone could sell me a vacuum that can deal with three kids, two grownups, a dog and two cats, I'd be sold.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  12:51:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sarah-

My family has always used the Kirby brand vacuum cleaners. They have amazingly strong suction and come with great attachments. But it seems like you either love them or hate them. They are pretty heavy, but the newer models are self propelled. Anyway, we got out Kirby at a vacuum repair shop for about $75. The new ones cost over $1000 and it was only about 20 yrs old when we got it. I feel like we got a steal! :)

Alee
Go to Top of Page

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  3:23:31 PM  Show Profile
That is EXACTLY the kind of vacuum I'm talking about! Alyssa, you rock! I'll tell the hubby. We know a good repair shop (gee, why?).
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  7:24:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sarah-

You are welcome! Nobody could get me to part with my Kirby! I even had cleaning clients that scoffed at my addiction to Kirby's...that is until their 8lb lightweights broke and they needed me to bring in my "heavy duty, going to last forever" vacuum. My parents still have their's from the 1970's or late 1960's and it still runs! They did buy a newer one and one "retired" to our cabin where it deals with sawdust, sand and all sorts of other tough stuff!

Alee
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic How long do "your" small appliances last? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page