owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  10:26:42 AM  Show Profile
You know, I never thought of reading online. I know they only publish a small portion of the magazine, but this way I could at least sample some new ones. I'm gonna to make a list of the magazines you've listed that I don't know and check them out online. I find that I get most of my information from magazines rather than books or newspapers or tv. At Christmas I always ask for a subscription when asked what I want. I'm going to Barnes and Noble tomorrow while Jim's at the VA clinic. I'm going to sit with the magazines. Do they carry MJ's? I've never seen it there.
Go to Top of Page

Vintage Redhead
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  4:03:58 PM  Show Profile
I get one subscription: Cloth, Paper, Scissors. I've gotten it since I brought the first issue home from the newsstand. I absolutely *LOVE* it and it totally fits my personality and my artistic style.

My mom passes along her Betters Homes & Gardens when she is done with them. Then I pass those forward as well.

And I also collect BHG from the 1930s for the recipes, becaus I am trying to amass simple recipes that use fresh ingredients. (I'm learning that in order to go forward, sometimes I must look to the past.)

We don't have cable or satellite service. So every few months, I'll feel the compulsion to dish on "celeb" news. And once I get my fill, I'll remember why I'm glad we don't have any service any longer. Once my knowledge wears off, I get stupid again and buy another one. But it's still cheaper ($10-$12/year) than cable or satellite ($80/month) and it's easier to hide from the kids.

~ Kaylyn
(Living in Suburbia with a FARMGIRL Heart!)

My Current Cause: http://nickspavilion.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  10:50:55 PM  Show Profile
Oh I forgot about Cottage Living and Midwest Living -- I read those too!!

www.annarosetta.com
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  02:53:52 AM  Show Profile
cook's country
cooks illustrated
MJF when I can find it at Borders
Threads
Creative machine embroidery
Backyard Chicken
Creative Needle
Sew Beautiful
Australian Smocking and Embroidery
Fons and Porter love of quilting

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  07:22:22 AM  Show Profile
Cottage Living is interesting, also! After reading about Country Living (Britain), I looked it up on Google. I looks really good, so I added another subscription to my list! Sheeeesh!
Go to Top of Page

ashcordes
True Blue Farmgirl

197 Posts

Ashley
Roann IN
USA
197 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2007 :  07:11:13 AM  Show Profile
Hey gals! Where do you find the British edition of Country Living, I'd be interested in getting it as well as my "American" edition!
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2007 :  12:06:23 PM  Show Profile
http://www.isubscribe.co.uk/title_info.cfm?prodID=8605 Try this link, Ashley.
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2007 :  12:17:52 PM  Show Profile
AShley, I get mine at Borders and Barnes and Nobel. Then I send it to a Farmgirl friend who also loves it. Maybe someone would do that for you?

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

Farmgirls do it organically!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2007 :  1:38:17 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, I get my copy of Country Living UK at Joseph Beth or Borders, because they don't ship to Kentucky!!!!

That doesn't surprise me, we were only able to get the New York Times delivered this year after 5 years of trying. Kentucky will catch up sometime, though....

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

Vintage Redhead
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2007 :  09:04:33 AM  Show Profile
Okay, Farmgirls.

Color me stupid. I *know* there are tremendous differences between the cultures - I mean besides the obvious difference in our shared language. And I'm even astute enough to know quite a bit about the differences between UK urban life and UK rural life. For me, even thinking about the UK countryside conjures up images of thatched-roof cottages and rolling green hills in a demi-fog. I just didn't realize that there were enough differences to warrant interest in a UK-centered publication on this side of "The Pond."

So *now* I have to ask...! What are the differences between UK Country Living and USA Country Living? And please: tell me in a way that will convince me to go buy it! (Okay, I admit, I'm easily enabled. But still. Convince me so that I can at least tell my husband I tried to resist...and not be lying.) ~ K

~ Kaylyn

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2007 :  11:14:51 AM  Show Profile
For me, it's that there are actual articles about chickens, pigs, etc, yogurts, homemade cheeses, etc....in addition to fabrics, shops, couches and home decorating. We aren't as much of an agrarian society as Britain still is--I realize we have farms, but the american version of Country Living seems like it's more about your house, and how you'd *like* to be in the country, but are stuck somewhere else...That's how I see it, anyway. You read about people who are living the dream that you want, but the UK version seems like it's already addressing people who actually do it both on small or large scale. Actually, the closest I've come lately to the UK version is the Hobby Farms Home magazine--the newest version of Hobby Farms.

Aside from that, (in my opinion) it's a more beautiful magazine all the way around. STUNNING pictures and stories, and the ads are all somewhat placed in one section, not disbursed throughout the magazine--often in our mags here, I don't know if I'm reading an article or an ad.

Can anyone else can share there thoughts?

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2007 :  12:17:38 PM  Show Profile
I currently subscribe to two magazines: Body+Soul and Mother Earth News. Then I'll pick up Yogalife when I find it in the store, and will borrow tons of others from the library, especially Utne, The New Yorker, Atlantic Monthly, NYT Book Review (not really a magazine, I know), and whatever else might catch my eye.
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2007 :  3:33:52 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, you sold me on the C.L. British version. I'm going to have to look that up.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2007 :  10:40:58 AM  Show Profile
My pleasure, Jan--
I haven't "collected" a magazine since Victoria, but I do the Country Living UK version. I always enjoy looking at past issues, whereas with other magazines, I cycle through them and give them away to my mom, or nusing homes.

Go to Top of Page

Vintage Redhead
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2007 :  11:37:07 AM  Show Profile
Jonni:

I'm going to get it. Not because I am already living that lifestyle, but because you have pointed out how *radically* different it is! I think the biggest point that I'm reading in to what you wrote: they aren't trying to sell a lifestyle - they're actually there to educate. That right there is of interest to me. Thanks so much for your response! ~ K

~ Kaylyn

Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2007 :  07:25:16 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Thanks Judy for the website!! I just hope they will ship to a military addy!

Jonni, Thank you for telling us more about the magazine!! I LOVE many british editions of magazines but NEVER see them here and so didnt know what to try and get. With them being more expensive did not want to just buy a few to try though that may be fun!! Anyway thank you so much!

I read/get
Hobby Farms
Country Women
Country
Farm&Ranch
Countryside
Progressive Farmer
Mother Earth News

And I often get, Romantic Homes, Victorian Homes, BHG Kids Rooms But I have not found a magazine that I really like enough to subscribe to for interior design ideas or gardening ideas as of yet...so I hope Country Living British Edition and Country Gardens will fit the bill there! My Favorite was Victoria...but *sniff sniff* its gone now Thank you all for sharing! OHHH and I have to check out GRIT and want the new Hobby Farms Home too!! .... *happily off to shop for more magazines*
Happy Reading!
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Juliekay
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

237 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2007 :  12:54:08 PM  Show Profile
Buttercup, I just got my first edition of Romantic Homes, the Parisian Edition (I am obsessed with all things French) and it is just gorgeous. I also get MJF of course and I like to leaf through diverse things such as Bust (the feminist magazine for girls who have something to get off their chest LOL), country living, mother earth news, Chicago magazine cuz I used to live there. I like to go to Borders and pick up new ones all the time.

Julie
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  03:52:35 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Julie, How neat! I wish I could see one...do you subscribe to it or did you buy it at a store? Please let me know. I will be thrilled to find some interior design type magazines that I can enjoy and love enough to subscribe to them! Thank you ..and thank you all for helping me find some new magazines!
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Juliekay
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

237 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  09:18:23 AM  Show Profile
Buttercup,

I think I didn't make myself clear. It's not actually published in France, it's just an issue focusing on parisian/french style. I got it at Walmart. They had this really cool article about a couple in california that brought home pieces of a broken gothic stone church altar and set them up as sculpture in their garden. It was soo cool looking. I think they are doing a series of issues that focuses on the style of specific countries. I think they had one on english style a few issues back but I'm not sure.
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  8:20:05 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Julie,
Oh how neat! ( and nope I didnt understand, sorry ) Well maybe I should get Romantic homes too! lol The ones I have been able to get I liked but have not seen them here in a while so wasn't sure. I will check their website and see what I can see! Thank you so much!
Hugz!
Talitha

Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2007 :  07:06:09 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Hello all!
In case there are any of you like myself that love magazines but do not have a store that carries what you want.... this is for us!

I wanted Country Living British Edition BADLY after hearing about it and viewing their website but a subscription cost roughly $173 or $14.42/magazine. Not that I can't do it and not that I don't believe in splurging now and then but.... *sigh* Anyway I searched high n low and Books A Million online ( www.booksamillion.com )sells them, current issues for $6.29 or if you are their club member $5.66 plus shipping. Now orders over $25 ship free which I had this time but normal shipping seemed to be $2.99 for first item and .99 for aditional items shipped together which would bring the cost to $9.28 (or $8.65 if a club member) a savings of $5.14 (or $5.77 if you are a club member) per issue Whoooooo hooooooo! So I just wanted to post this before someone jumped off the $173 bridge! I am so excited and I really appriciate all your lists because I found so many new and neat magazines which really helps when far from home and homesick! It is like bringing home to me!
Hugz to All!
Talitha

Edited by - Buttercup on Mar 28 2007 07:08:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2007 :  2:42:17 PM  Show Profile
Talitha, thank you so much for the information!!!! It's the Holy Grail to people like me who love the European magazines!

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

Farmgirls do it organically!
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2007 :  5:51:44 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Patricia,
You are so very welcome! I wasn't sure it would help anyone but am so glad if it did! I love their magazines too! Have a great evening/day!
Hugz!
Talitha

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2007 :  6:18:59 PM  Show Profile
Yes, thank you Talitha! I went searching at the book store and found Country Living UK magazine. It is VERY nice. I really enjoyed it, well I'm still reading and enjoying because it's full of info and articles. I also went online to see about ordering and thought nada... not for THAT price. I'll just look at the bookstore occasionally. This link looks interesting, and cost effective!

Humor is the prelude to faith and Laughter is the beginning of prayer. -- Reinhold Niebuhr

I want to be an "outrageous" old woman who never gets called an old lady. I want to be wiser, resonate love & peace and be earth-colored, till I fade away from pure joy!

http://farmstyle.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2007 :  7:40:45 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Oh goodie Clare! Someone else who has seen it and loves it! I can't wait to get mine in the mail! They said 5-10 days but sometimes it takes longer to get here *sigh* so I will just be waiting!!!! I am so glad it was of help to you too Clare!
Hugz to All!!
Talitha

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Reading Room: Previous Topic What Magazines Do You Read? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page