Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Wine Talk Next Topic
Page: of 2

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  6:52:07 PM  Show Profile
Cindy, I have loved and studied wine for a lot of years now. I finally decided to start a vineyard several years ago. I have 2 acres planted to Catawba, Golden Muscat, Vioneles, and Tramminette varietals, and some Concords for the juice. I live in Central Kansas and with all the sunshine we get here the grapes do very well. Just have to worry about drought ( I irrigate sparingly) and hot dry winds. I plan on putting 4 more acres to some red varietals; Cabernet Franc, Foch, and a new hardier Cabernet Savignion. Long term goal is to make some special Kansas wines. For now I am planning on selling grapes to other established winieries, and experiment with small scale winemaking.
You said you love champagne, well you got a friend here! For a while, back in the 90's I tried many different varieties of champagne. The French still make the best sparkling wine in the world, although some domstic I have sampled rival! For the millenium deal I tried my first taste of Dom Perignon! Oh my gosh, It was heaven! I have tried White Star, it is excellent! Have you ever tried Mumm? It is good too! But, the best, very best I have tried was Cristal! I had a glass ( wanted more) at a party of one of DH's friends. It was so smooth and tasted slightly of fresh baked bread spread with peach preserves. I cannot describe the feeling this wine was on the tongue. I probably sound wierd but I tend to wax poetic when I am talkin' wine. It is a passion isn't it? I do love Mimosas, they are gtreat for a brunch with the girlfriends. I cannot afford French champagne, and feel very fortunate I have been able to sample some great bottles over the years. But whenever I have tasted the champagnes it is a celebration, an event in itself! Having it so rarely makes it so special! Cheaper sparkling can be more affordable. I enjoy Seaview Brut, Chandon Perla or Fresca, Paul Cheneau, Mumm Napa. These are also rare treats, but memorable. WE should exchange champagne tales! My 25th anniversary is the 28th, and I think that deserves some White Star, chilled on ice!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html

Cindy Young
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Cindy
Allendale MI
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2005 :  05:37:25 AM  Show Profile
Dear new wine friend,
You sound as if you know a lot more about one of my favorite subjects than I do!!! My favorite wines are the dry white. Chards top the list. Not as crazy about Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc. My fave Chard so far is Cakebread. So creamy and buttery. But at a minimum of $30 a bottle, it is one I have only had 3-4 times. I also love the Australian Chards...good taste for the price. My fave of those is Lindeman's Bin 65. (Rosemount Diamond Label comes in 2nd.) I have Andrea Immer's 2005 Wine Buying Guide, which I use for reference all the time. Small enough to tuck in your purse for easy peeking at the grocery store, tho usually if I am trying a new wine I will have a list pre-made, of the ones that sound the most interesting. Her guide hasn't failed me yet! I have heard of Seaview Brut, but can't seem to find it here. Andrea says for the price ($8.99) you can't miss! She says that it has fooled many experts into thinking it was French! I try to stay with wine under $10 a bottle. Lately even cheaper than that....we're having some financial difficulties recently. I DO love a good red with beef. Unlike white wine, where I want the most intensely flavored Chard, with reds I prefer a Pinot Noir. (maybe I just like to SAY "Pinot Noir"!!!!) The Cab Sauv is too tanic (is that the right word?) for me.
Let's keep this topic going...if it gets TOO out of control, we can get more personal with regular e-mail!!!
Here's to you,
Cindy

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." 2Timothy 4:7
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2005 :  09:06:09 AM  Show Profile
Hey Cindy, This so cool chatting with a fellow farmgirl about wine! Sounds like you know your stuff! Andrea Immer is a great expert. I used to watch her show on Fine Living until we switched cable providers. I suscribe to Food and Wine magazine. I have read it for 10 years and love it. Excellent info on wines, food pairings, recipes, gardening, food trends and even organics and farming. Rosemount makes a fine Chard! Australia really does the whites up right! Seaview is Australian. I have a girlfriend who lived in Sydney for a spell and she told me about the Shiraz from there. Have you ever sampled Shiraz? It is really good. Not too tanic, smooth, balanced...and Rosemount makes an excellent Shiraz. I am not to enamored with reds, but this one I really enjoy. I do love the buttery richness of Chard, but I tend to lean towards the bone dry, lean and mean Sav Blanc, Pinot Gris, Pouilly Fusee` and anything sparkling. There are some great value wines out there (10 bucks and under) Even French sparkling! Try Boucheron Sparking Chard...ten bucks and fantastic! Varichon et Clerc, made by the champagne method and under ten dollars, and another ten dollar steal, 2002 Chard from Alamos, and Argentine producer. Hope these whet your appetite! I love to eat fresh melons with the whites. Oh and another little tip, I have tried Chambord Raspberry liqouer in some sparkling wine and it is yummy! Heres to ten bucks and under bargains! All the best, Jenny from Kansas

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Young
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Cindy
Allendale MI
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2005 :  10:52:14 AM  Show Profile
Dear new friend Jenny,
Thanks for the $10 and under wine info. Next time I'm in Grand Rapids (about 20-30 min from me) I will look up some of your suggestions. I have tried Shiraz, I can't remember the source, maybe an African wine, and found it very tanic. I am looking forward to trying your suggestion of Rosemount's. I have had very good luck with other Rosemount wines in the past. At a good friends party last year we had a champagne (sparkling wine and the real thing) tasting. It was such fun! We had about 10 bottles...from $40 to $4 a bottle. Oddly enough, the fairly cheaper sparklings got better reviews than the pricier bottles. Not from me, however. Seems I have caviar taste with a fish gut wallet!!!!! Edna Valley Vineyard Chard out of California is a new favorite. My daughter, Gina and her hubby brought some for Christmas, and we deemed it almost as good as our favorite Cakebread. When I'm looking for something super-oakey, I go straight for the Kendall Jackson...provided, of course, that it is on sale. Used to be you could always get KJ for around $10. Now, it has gone far too expensive for me...usually around $15...unless, it's on sale. Then I might pick up a bottle or two. I love the consistency of KJ. You always know exactly what you are getting. One of our favorite wine shops in GR is G.B.Russo's, an Italian grocery/deli/bakery/wine shop. The owners there are terrific. Always ready to offer suggestions based on your $ and your taste. I can go there and tell them what we're having for supper, what I want to spend, and they are always right on the money with their suggestions. The bad part of Russo's is...we can't get out of there w/o spending $100!!!! We go home with fresh crusty loaves of italian bread, stuffed grape leaves, pungent cuts of our favorite cheeses, and several new bottles of wine. Call me a happy camper!!! We can hardly wait to get home, and usually break into the bread before we're out of the parking lot!!! Even tho my husband (of nearly 34 years!!!) is more of a beer guy (he has been brewing his own for about 3 years now...you should see him at church when a new batch is ready to drink...he has it stashed in our trunk, with guys lined up to take some home and give their latest opinions on it!!!), he still enjoys a good bottle of wine, and is more than happy to help me finish off a good bottle. His favorites are the reds...give him a Cabernet Sauvignon any day over the more mellow Pinot Noirs. Although he has never turned those down, now that I think of it!!
Cheers!!!!!
Cindy

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." 2Timothy 4:7
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2005 :  7:44:57 PM  Show Profile
Hi Cindy and fellow wine freak! I would think I died and went to heaven if we had a wine/cheese store like that here in Salina, Kansas USA. Kansas has some of the most repressed and dated alcohol laws in the nation. Fortunately the US Supreme court ruled in favor of free commerce across state lines regarding the flow of wine in to the state and out of the state. That means Kansas wine freaks like myself can order wine off the net and have it shipped here, and wineries in Kansas can ship out their product. Lets here it for free commerce! I'll raise a glass of 2002 Raats Original Chenin Blanc, a sleeper from South Africa $13, balanced with bright, unoaked citrus and melon flavors. Does Michigan have open borders for wine flow? Kansas is progressive on some things, but in the dark ages on others. Cindy I have been racking my brain and have remembered I did try an Edna Valley Chard and a Cakebread! Loved them both... But it is really a BAD winerey that cannot do a Chard. I will tell you one horror story about a Chard that tasted like turpentine...Fat Bastard from France. 7 bucks of pure #**#... What should I have expected with a label of a golden fat wild boar running and a name like Fat Bastard. Have you explored the roses? There are some cheap and interesting roses from Provence in France that sound great for picnics. Are you a Zin fan? I think I drank too much white zin in the 80's. Maybe it has improved in recent years. Well, Cindy here I am rambling on and on...Your mention of your DH liking Cab Sav...Guys just seem to like those big reds...my DH loves Merlot and a big rare steak. I have to ask...Have you seen Sideways the movie? Rent it...you will love it! Have a super weekend! Jenny

Go to Top of Page

Cindy Young
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Cindy
Allendale MI
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2005 :  07:23:22 AM  Show Profile
Dear Jenny,
I have had some Rose, but I think the stuff I had was the sweeter variety. I saw Andrea Immer on TV this weekend, and she was talking about some Rose that is dry...that would be something i would be interested in. Like you, I had my fill of White Zin in the 80's. Now the stuff tastes like a dip in the sugar bowl! One of my new fave's is Cline's Red Zin, oh and a new one that we just had 2 weeks ago, The 7 Deadly Zins!!! What a clever name! But there is a method to their madness....the wine is a combination of 7 red zins. It was absolutely delicious! Normal price on it was like $15, but my grocer had it on sale that week for $10. I only wish I would have stocked up. So yummy with a piece of dark chocolate...one of my favorite desserts. (just a tiny bite...a little dark chocolate goes a long way...and you know what "they" say..."Once on the lips, forever on the hips!!!") I have also had Ravenswood's red zin, and although it was tasty, it didn't measure up to the previous 2. However, it is a bit cheaper, maybe $7 or so. One reason I do like the reds is that they last longer in my glass!!! The Chards go down TOO easy...and I like them icy cold, so my tendency is to down a glass right straight. And then of course, you are on your 2nd glass before you know it, than BLAM...the bottle is nearly empty. However, with the reds, I drink much more slowly. So, on occasion, and with a really nice red like the 7 Deadly Zins, I will slow it way down and actually savor the wine, really taste it going down!!!
You mentioned the new wine laws...well, Michigan has had no internet buying, and now that the new law has passed, each state is on it's own to develop laws regarding over the state line buying. It will be a battle...one of their concerns is that if say, UPS delivers wine and you are not home, that wine could be sitting on your front porch just waiting to pounce on some innocent, young, underage kids!!! And of course, the all-important issue of collecting their "rightful" state sales tax on internet sales. We shall see. We just this past month made it legal to bring your wine left from a dinner at a restaurant, home with you. BUT, it must be re-corked in such a way that you can't get the darn thing out w/o a corkscrew! I can see the reasoning behind that...kind of tough for a cop to give a ticket for "open alcohol in a vehicle" if it weren't properly re-corked. And of course, ultimately they are hoping that this will result in fewer alcohol related accidents, as you won't feel pressured to finish that last glass of wine as to not waste it, if you get to take the leftovers home.
No, I have not seen "Sideways", but will look it up next time we are out to rent a movie.
It's such fun to chat with someone who has the same interests as I do!
Thanks for all the input. Can't wait to try some of your suggestions.
Cheers!
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2005 :  5:48:11 PM  Show Profile
Ok ,you girls are talking right up my alley! I love Merlots and Shiraz. I'll try any wine once and have had some good ones in Wisconsin. We have a nice littel winery in SAndwich, not too far from me. I'll have to go through my saved corks to let you know what we've been drinking. Norm's favorite is a good Cabernet too peppery tasting for me. I have had a Fat Bastard Shiraz, which was fine. I buy a lot of mine at Trader Joes.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2005 :  7:36:41 PM  Show Profile
Hey Kim, Glad you are joinin' in...Kim you liked the Fat Bastard shiraz? I tried the FB chard but it was really bad...like gasoline and lindseed oil combined. Maybe they do a better red. The Fat Bastard I tried was $7. Have you tried any whites? In the hot summer weather I really enjoy a chilled chard or sav blanc, or pinot gris. But sparkling is the very best! Cindy, I am going to try your suggestion of the Seven Deadly Zins. There are some great Italian whites right now, and pretty cheap too! I have also read the Greek wines are quite good. My wheat is harvested and in the elevator so it is harvest party time! We always throw a post harvest bash and smoke a pig or grill. Any suggestions on a good wine with smoked meats?

Go to Top of Page

Cindy Young
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Cindy
Allendale MI
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2005 :  2:03:34 PM  Show Profile
For the smoked meats, I would maybe recommend a Pinot Noir for a red, and for a white, maybe a Riesling or a Pinot Gris. I think I have had a Beringers Founders Estate Pinot Noir...cheap, but very smooth. I don't drink a lot of Pinot Grigio, but one my sister-in-law, who manages "The University Club", which is a private, members only kind of place (and where I am currently working as a waitress for weddings and banquets and such) thinks Ecco Domani is great, but personally I find it falls a little flat. Maybe as a nice, sit by the side of the pool (hey, what pool are we talkin bout...no pool here!!!) kind of wine, but I don't think it holds up to a meal, except maybe cheese curls or potato chips!!! Woodbridge is supposed to have a good Pinot Grigio, but I haven't personally tried it. Hope that helps!!!
Glad to see we have some other "wino's on board!!!!
Blessings,
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2005 :  3:55:57 PM  Show Profile
JennyThanks so much Cindy! Wow you have great suggestions! You and your sis in law probably collaborate over wine. That would be fun! I would love to have the time and the money for the education to become a Master Sommelier. If only I were 25 years younger and had some extra bucks in the ole bank account. Ah well a gal can dream... That is funny you mentioned potato chips and wine together! One of my favorite pairings is potato chips and champagne (or sparkling) I love the Cape Cod brand Russet Style chips and a good brut sparkling like Domaine St.Michele. YUM!!!! I am a simpleton, what can I say? Besides oysters are TOO expensive this far inland. I remeber I went to a fancy schmancy wedding reception and they were serving Veuve Cliquot! I asked the server if there were any potato chips to go with the champagne. If looks could have killed... I have some delicous recipies I will have to post specifically for pairing with wines. I will start another topic for this, so stay tuned! Have a great rest of the week! We are on the downhill slide to Friday! Jenny

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2005 :  4:21:07 PM  Show Profile
I just had to bring up the darker side of my wine love...THE PAST. Early 70's, high school, Boones Farm Strawberry Hill, $1.25, College, Riuniti Rose and Lancers, $3.00... Lots of Porcelin worship on those fine choices. Thank heavens I grew up! ( sort of)

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2005 :  5:46:10 PM  Show Profile
Ruiniti! My MOM brought some of that over a couple of weeks ago! TJ Swan was another one. Tasted like jelly beans (makes me want to gag now!)

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow

Edited by - Kim on Jun 22 2005 5:46:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Young
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Cindy
Allendale MI
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2005 :  10:05:11 AM  Show Profile
AAh yes, the joys of Boonesfarm apple, and strawberry! When we were VERY young, and, might I add, VERY stupid???? Anything to get a buzz, back when I was a mere wisp of a child....17!!!!!! Don't need the buzz anymore, cause we get a high from life, now that we're in our 50's!!!
The weather is so hot here in Michigan right now, that the only thing we have on our minds is water!!! I heard this morning it's hotter here than in Miami!!!! Heat index today of 110. Whew! When it's this hot, I like to get some Cab Sauvignon and make a wine spritzer. I just take some sparkling water, no fat, calories or any other stuff that is bad for you, maybe orange flavored, or lime, and add a couple splashes of the red wine. So refreshing, sitting by my dad's pool!!!
Have a good one!!
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2005 :  10:10:52 AM  Show Profile
Very stupid...Yes! Wine is meant to be savored, to complement, to inspire, not to inibriate! I had to tell ya Cindy, I purchased the Seven Deadly Zins, and a Cakebread Sav Blanc, both on sale! Saving for special dinners. My Dad has a pool too. This week highs are expected around 105, the heat endicies I don't even want to think about. Ahhh, summertime in the midwest!

Go to Top of Page

Kathy A.
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Kathy
Utah
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2005 :  12:41:15 PM  Show Profile
Ah HAHHHHHHHH!! Now the secret of your past Boones Farm days is out and I can feel comfortable jumping in to ask foolish questions! I too was part of "The young and the stupid" Boones farm drinkers once in a while we actually had a bottle of something else, with a cork in it! That faded away and I had'nt thought much about wine for a lot of years, but recently I have met some new friends who enjoy a good bottle of wine with dinner and I thought I would like to learn something. Thanks for all your under $10.00 suggestions. obviously I'm not a big spender, what do you recommend for serving with chicken (thats what I usually fix for company) for say under $20.00 and also is there a cork screw for the -cork screw challenged? and where do you get it. I've always had a difficult time using them. The last time a guest brought a nice bottle of wine I had to hand him my swiss army gardeners pocket knife with the little screw thing and ask him to do it himself, oh my gosh I can't believe I confessed to that one. Anyway this is an interesting thread. Cheers, Kathy
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2005 :  1:32:06 PM  Show Profile
Well, girls, I know very little about wine, but have grown to enjoy it very much over the last two or three years. My favorites are Pinot Grigio and Chardonnay. And I do love to eat potato chips or something salty with a glass of wine in the late afternoon. I never pay much for wine because it seems such an extravagance on my food budget (hubby does not drink it at all and looks at me like I am having a crisis of some kind). So the money I spend is only when we are having guests....otherwise it is the inexpensive stuff, which, to be honest, still tastes good to me! I like Clois Du Bois Chardonnay. When I was in Carmel/Monterey a couple of years ago I did a wine-tasting at the Barghetto Winery. I am now on their mailing list. They have a very good Pinot Grigio. Woodbridge's Pinot Grigio is a little too sour and woody for me.

KAthy - I have found a cork screw that I love. As you twist it down into the cork, the side arms automatically go up. Then all you do is push down the arms when they are fully extended, and out comes the cork. I am also cork screw challenged and I really like this type.
jpbluesky

Heartland girl

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jun 27 2005 1:37:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Young
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Cindy
Allendale MI
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2005 :  1:38:06 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kathy,
Glad you can join us! For chicken I would recommend maybe a Pinot Gris, also known as Pinot Grigio. Or a Sauvignon Blanc. Any of the ones we mentioned, except stay away from the Cakebread Chardonney...very pricey!!1 Or possibly a dry Rose. Typically with chicken you would serve a dry or semi dry white wine. The Rose would be a slight variation on the white wine. Stay away from pretty much any White Zinfandel unless you like a very sweet wine with no character!!!
As for a cork screw, I have several. I guess I would ask at a wine shop which is the easiest. They range anywhere from \$3 to $50 and up. I asked for one for Christmas from one of my daughters...it is called the "Rabbit". I think she paid around $30 from Bed Bath & Beyond. It is my favorite, and it is the easiest to use.
Welcome to the wonderful world of wine!!
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2005 :  2:56:53 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kathy and JP!! Glad you are joining in! Kathy, depending on how you are preparing your chicken, sometimes a light red can be just as good as a white. Cindy has some good choices for whites! The Sav Blanc complements chicken and fish very well. Fried chicken is so good with a dry lean Sav Blanc, or a rose', but make sure it is dry and not too sweet. If you like herbs cooked with the chicken a silky smooth Pinot Noir is excellent. Try the '99 or 2000 RSV Four Vineyards. A Pinot Blanc might be good too, or a Reisling. I bought a bottle of an Italian apertif called Limoncello. It is lemon flavored liqueor served very cold in a small glass. It sounded really good, on hot summer days. Thought I might add it to some fruit juices or seltzer to cut the strength. Italians drink it straight! Experiment and have fun! JP, Clos Du Bois does delicious chards and Pinot Grigio! Good choices. I would love to visit Calif. wine country, but the touristy areas would leave me cold. Santa Barbara area is still somewhat pristine and wild, like the old west.

Edited by - MeadowLark on Jun 27 2005 2:58:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2005 :  3:19:09 PM  Show Profile
Here is a wine quote I just love, I painted it on a old piece of barn wood and it hangs in my kitchen;

"No nation is drunken where wine is cheap."- Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

Cindy Young
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Cindy
Allendale MI
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2005 :  5:39:32 PM  Show Profile
AAAhhhh Jenny!!!
I cannot believe you mentioned Limoncello!!!! I first tasted it when we went to an authentic Italian restaurant a few years ago in downtown Grand Rapids, called Tre Cucini, and the manager was flirting with the only single gal at our table! He ordered a round of drinks for us....(on the house!!!)the guys got some kind of drink to make them h---y, and the gals got a round of Limoncello!!! I have since found a recipe for it, and have made it myself. It is delicious over ice. As an after dinner drink, I don't know if it can be beat. (the exception might be "Frangelico", which is a hazelnut liquor.)(or Mead, which is a whole different story!!) Oh the memories you have brought back.

Thanks for the memories,
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2005 :  5:45:48 PM  Show Profile
Cindy, I saw the movie, "Under the Tuscan Sun" with Diane Lane. She is on a date with this HOT Italian guy and he is explaining Limoncello to her and pushing lemon slices into a bottle. Got me hooked on it right then and there... Yum!!!! By the way Cindy, Care to share that recipe for the limoncello?

Edited by - MeadowLark on Jun 27 2005 5:56:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kathy A.
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Kathy
Utah
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2005 :  07:19:48 AM  Show Profile
JP. Cindy and Jenny, Thank you for your help, I think I'll start with Pinot Grigio everyone seems to agree on that one. JP my husband doesn't drink wine either so I'm on my own for this project but what fun! A Bed Bath and Beyond opened up not far from me so I'll be going there to check out cork screws. Cindy the rabbit might be what Im looking for thanks for the suggestion. Limoncello and seltzer mmmmmmm on a hot summer day sounds delicious. Jenny can you tell us more about your vineyard and winemaking experiments?
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Young
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Cindy
Allendale MI
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2005 :  03:27:06 AM  Show Profile
Jenny, it might take me a few days to look up the recipe. I have just recently started a job and have a lot of hours to put in this week. Finances are extremely tight around here, and I had to go to work to help out. I can only hope it is temporary, as I am not the "work outside the home" kind of gal. And at my age, (I'll be 52 in a few weeks) trying to waitress (which I have NEVER done before) at a private, members only club is a bit of a challenge...both mentally and most certainly, physically!! But my husband's sister is the manager there, and she says I am doing fine. So...recipe to come, just not sure when.
Blessings,
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2005 :  08:21:22 AM  Show Profile
Cindy, Best of luck to you! I know exactly what you mean about money being so tight these days! I may have to take a job outside the home also. We have a daughter in college and although she works hard at a job and pays many of her expenses it is still very tight for us. I filled her gas tank yesterday to return to her college town and it was 50 bucks! These gas prices are insane! We are all in the same boat! Take Care! Jenny

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2005 :  12:29:53 PM  Show Profile
I tasted a little tiny taste of the limoncello. It is pretty strong, but does have a nice lemon flavor. I thought it might be good in real lemonade, just a touch that is. That stuff could curl my straight hair!

Go to Top of Page

Cindy Young
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Cindy
Allendale MI
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2005 :  07:05:46 AM  Show Profile
Jenny,
AAHHH...a quiet moment to myself! I finally had a few minutes to look up the Lemon Liqueor recipe I promised you. I use cheap vodka for something like this.
4 cups vodka
2# lemons (about 8 large)
6 cups water
2 1/2 cups sugar
with veg. peeler or lemon zester, remove zest in thin strips. put zest in 1/2 gal. jar with tight fitting lid. Pour in vodka, cover, let stand, out of direct sunlight, 2-4 days. Shake jar several times a day. (I put mine near the ktchen sink as I am there most often, and it is an easy reminder). When zest is pale and crisp like parchment, you've extracted all the oil. Strain and discard zest. Make sugar syrup by combining water with sugar in saucepan over medium heat till sugar dissolves and mixture is clear. Let cool to room temp. Stir into infused alcohol. The mix will turn cloudy. Pour into clean bottles, straining if you like. Seal with cork or cap. Serve over ice.

I do not find this strong at all. It is a really nice after dinner drink, or you can use it in any sweet martini drink in place of regular vodka. Because you can bottle this in any size bottle you prefer, it is a perfect Christmas gift or hostess gift.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Wine Talk Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page