sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2005 :  11:09:46 AM  Show Profile
My Dad was just telling a lovely story about eating pickled eggs with his Dad when he was younger and well he doesn't have that many good stories about his Dad ( hard man in hard times, ya know) So I listened up. I would just love to surprise him with a package of homemade(of course) pickled eggs. Does anyone have a recipe for jarring pickled eggs? It seems like something I should follow recipe with.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2005 :  12:15:05 PM  Show Profile
Sqrl,
If you know how to hard boil eggs, you are almost there.
I am assuming, and may be wrong about this, but here in PA,
pickled eggs are pickled in pickled beet juice and the eggs turn out pink. Is that what you are looking for?
If so, after the eggs have been hard boiled, peel them while they are still warm and cover with several jars (or store bought cans)of pickled beets until all the eggs are submerged. I put them in a gallon jar. Refridgerate for a day or two, so that they get pink all the way through to the yolk. Also called red beet eggs here.
Hope this helps.
Very, very simple

"If more of us valued good food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2005 :  12:17:13 PM  Show Profile
oh, and as far as I know,
I haven't heard of them being preserved or jarred.
They are a "refridgerator" pickle.

"If more of us valued good food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2005 :  1:33:59 PM  Show Profile
I do them...but they arn't in beet pickle juice and arn't red...I do water bath can them and they last really well..did a batch last year...and won a blue ribbon at the fair with them!
If it isn't the red ones you are looking for (and I will have to try them sometime) let me know and I will get out my recipe..I will start thinking about where it could be..hmmmmm

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2005 :  1:46:19 PM  Show Profile
Aunt Jenny you hit it right on the head. But I do believe my Dads memory is of the red ones. I want to just make regular pickled eggs, he can deal (just kidding). If anything I could always put a little beet juice in the vinegar. So I would love it if you could dig out that recipe.
Susan, my Dad lives in Bucks County, right outside Phila. so you probably know exactly what he's talking about. We're all Philly born and raise in my family.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2005 :  3:21:51 PM  Show Profile
Wow! Jenny,
Well, being up to my neck in eggs most weeks,
I would also love to see that recipe!
Especially a blue ribbon winner.
I never heard of them like that.
Thanks

J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2005 :  4:23:51 PM  Show Profile
Um, what do pickled eggs taste like? I'm never had them, but I've always been curious..

Cat
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2005 :  5:32:19 PM  Show Profile
They taste like boiled eggs with sort of a sweet sour oniony outer part..the pickle juice sort of soaks in over time and they taste best (in my humble opion) sliced on a chef salad or like that..I am not a big egg eater otherwise...so that is my favorite way.
I will dig that recipe out tonight and post it..I first made them when I was swimming in eggs...I do them up in half pint jars and they make a nice little gift. I have banty chickens though, so the eggs are smaller..pints would be more practical for regular big eggs.

Jenny in Utah

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Sep 16 2005 8:58:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2005 :  9:06:15 PM  Show Profile
Found it..here ya go...I hope you like these:

Aunt Jenny's Pickled Eggs
makes 4 cups of brine...can be doubled, tripled or whatever
1 cup white wine vinegar
3 cups water
1 Tbsp pickling spice
1 med. onion minced (I like to use red onion)
hard boiled eggs
at least 5 days before serving, combine the vinegar,water, spice and onion in a saucepan. Bring to a boil,simmer for 2 min. then strain and reserve.
peel the eggs and pack them into sterilized pint jars. Pour the hot brine over them and seal with hot lids and rings.
process in a boiling water bath for 10 min...or keep in fridge if not processed. The processed ones will be a little tougher but will last a good deal longer!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2005 :  11:40:48 PM  Show Profile
Well, Jenny, I lived in PA until I was about 9 and our pickled eggs were always in the beets and juice, but I'm going to give yours a try. Sounds really good for salads! About how many eggs can you get in a pint jar???
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2005 :  12:07:32 AM  Show Profile
probably 6..it has been awhile since I used any eggs but banty eggs and they are alot smaller..I guess about 6 though..unless they are giant size ones!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic pickled eggs Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page