Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2005 :  1:34:00 PM  Show Profile
I got a "new" Ice cream maker at a yard sale on Sunday.
Now I need some good recipes!!

It is a 1.5 quart maker. I was shocked, I had to go online to get the manual and found that it is a $40 item and I got it for $6

I would like a simple recipe that doesn't take whipping cream.
But I am open to all recipes!!

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2005 :  6:07:13 PM  Show Profile
I don't have any that doesn't take whipping cream but I posted these recipes on another ice cream thread...

Chocolate Toffee Crunch Ice Cream

1 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups whipping cream
1 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1/8 tsp. salt
3/4 cup chocolate covered toffee pieces
cubed or crushed ice
rock salt

In canister for ice cream maker combine sugar and cocoa powder. Stir in cream, milk, vanilla, and salt. Whisk thoroughly until sugar is dissolved. Place lid over ice cream container. Place in machine. Layer the ice and rock salt until bucket is full. Turn machine on (or crank) until ice cream becomes very thick. Stir in toffee pieces and serve immediately or place in freezer to harden. Makes about 1 quart.

I also just bought an Amish Cookbook and it has a recipe for Homemade Vanilla Icecream. Since I just bought it I haven't made it yet so if you do let me know how it turns out.

3 cups cream
9 cups milk
7 eggs
3 1/2 cups sugar
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt
ice
rock salt

In the canister of a hand-crank ice cream maker, combine the cream, milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt until smooth. Insert the container into the ice cream maker and fill the outside with 5 parts ice to 1 part rock salt. Crank the ice cream maker and process until the ice cream is thick. Serves 15

You will have to adjust the amount or do your ice cream in batches if you use that last recipe but the chocolate one would work in your machine. The chocolate one is a family favorite and in fact I made a bunch today!!!

Edited by - lonestargal on Sep 12 2005 6:08:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  05:27:53 AM  Show Profile
Hi Bridge
We make Ice Milks iwth powdered milk.Virtually no butterfat and add lecithin to break down chlorestrol. Being as it is harder to whip powdered milk in to a stiff mixture than it is to whip cream we use ice water not cold water but ice water and we chill the beaters and bowl in the fridge for about 15 minutes or we'd be whipping all day without getting anything whipped.
What also helps is to take a rubber spatula and reach carefully into the bowl and stir the thinner outside back into the thicker middle from time to time. Be patient it can take as long as 20 to beat the milk mix into something stiff enough to use.

1 cup maple syrup
4 egg yolks
1/4 cup lecithin granules (i get these at my health food store)
4 egg whites
1 cup instant milk powder
1 cup ice water

Put large mixing bowl and beaters into frig for 15 min. In saucepan I bring the maple syrup to a simmer. Put water in the bottom of the double boiler and heat to a simmer. In the top of the double boiler, off the stove, beat the egg yolk to frothy. Remove the syrup from the heat and very slowly, beating all the while. drip the syrup into the yolks. Put the top of the double boiler over the simmering bottom and cook for 5 minutes stir often.
Add the lecithin granules and continue to cool, still stirring until mix thickens, 10-15min more.Cool this mix by setting the top of the double boiler in cold water. In a large chilled bowl, beat the egg whites until they are half stiff. Add the milk powder and ice water, and beat the until stiff anout 10 minutes stirring. When the maple mix is cooled addit gradually to the whipped milk and whites and beat in well. Scrape into the ice cream freezer and chill in fridge for 3-4 hours. Make in the ice cream freezer for about 45 minutes. Spoon into covered containers and set in your freezer to harden. Makes 1 1/2 quarts besides what you lick off the paddles!
I also have a recipe using noninstant milk powder if you want that? It will double the protein.
1 cup maple syrup
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup lecithin granules
2 egg whites
3/4 cup noninstant milk powder
1 cup walnut chopped(don't add these until the ice cream has worked until it is almost ready to go into the refrigerator's freezer)
makes 1 quart

My other recipes are for fruit ice milks,no eggs which means it takes a little more to whip the milk powder stiff.If you are using fruit in your ice cream makes sure it is either chopped small or that it goes into the mixture late on. If you put chunks of fruit into the mix when it first goes into the machine all the chunks will gather around the paddles and not get evenly mixed.Even small chunks will end up gathering around the paddles.

3/4 cup ice water
3/4 cup noninstant milk powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 quart= 1 1/2 lbs berries
3/4 cup honey
Put a large mixing bowl in fridge for 30 min to chill.
In chilled bowl make up the ice water and milk powder beating until stiff perhaps as much as 20 minutes. When stiff add the vanilla extract. In a blender process together the honey and berries until you thick soup. Taste for more honey. Scape into the beaten milk and beat in well. No chilling period is required if you used frozen fruit. If not freeze for 1/2 hour before putting into ice cream maker. Make for about 3/4 hour or ntil set.This makes about 1/2 gallon.
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  3:44:54 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Guys!!
I can't wait to try those!!
Go to Top of Page

dawndi-bird
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Dawndi

9 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  09:52:51 AM  Show Profile
OOps,
I goofed. Let me try that again.
Place in blender:
5 farm fresh eggs
1 can Eagle Brand milk
1 t. vanilla
pinch salt
1/4 c. flour
2 c. sugar

blend until smooth then add whole milk to fill line in freezer can.

This ice cream is soft, but the left overs that make into your home freezer, freezes very hard.
Dawndi-bird
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Ice Cream Recipe-Needed Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page