Page: of 2

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2005 :  5:46:07 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Ahh! - a wine thread and I missed it for days!

I LOVE wine. I too am guilty of Lancers in college. And Blue Nun. And Liebfraumilch. lol.
After that it was Riesling by Schmitt Sohne (still my husband's favorite, now so sweet to me I cannot drink it!)

Nowadays I love a Shiraz, a pinot gris/pinot grigio... Ravenswood Red Zin - mmmmm.

And a great, cheap bottle that non wine-snob friends seem to enjoy and I find fairly smooth is Beringer's White Zinfandel.

I just tried a cheap bottle of Shiraz Cabernet by Lindemans. Falls flat on its face, IMHO. No great finish or anything.

Edited by - greyghost on Jul 06 2005 5:47:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Young
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Cindy
Allendale MI
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2005 :  04:19:31 AM  Show Profile
Hi greyghost,
I too have had Ravenswood Red Zin, very tasty! I love the fruity flavors of the red zin, yet still dry and not too sweet for my taste. Earlier I mentioned The Seven Deadly Zins, which is my current favorite red zin. I have not had the Lindeman's Shiraz, but I do love their Bin 65 Chardonney. A real bargain, and one of my favorites.
Glad to have you on board.
Cindy

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." 2Timothy 4:7
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2005 :  09:11:51 AM  Show Profile
Hi Greyghost! Glad you are joining in our little wine discussions! I am a pinot gris fan too, and recently tried Cindy's rec. of Seven deadly Zins. WOW, it was excellent. Thanks Cindy! I'll have to check out Ravenswood Zin. Have you tried the Rosemont Shiraz? Pretty good stuff...not too tanic. Thanks for the limoncello recipe Cindy!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  7:29:42 PM  Show Profile
I was looking for the bread thread and what goes bettern with my bread addiction then a little love potion.
Mimosas!!!!
Have you tried lime granites?
I finally got a drip system laid to grow muscadines.
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  11:18:30 AM  Show Profile
Ok, girls, since I have been here in Kansas I have tried the following Merlots: Firefly (australian), Four Sisters (australian) and a Kansas Wine (red). All very good, though I think my favorite at this point is the Four Sisters.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  4:13:58 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I shall have to try this Seven Deadly Zins - sounds interesting!

My favorite wines come from a winery here in N. GA - a bit of a drive (a couple hours) but so worth it! It's called Habersham Winery: http://www.habershamwinery.com/ I've tried most everything and many, many of their wines are so good it's hard to choose one over another.
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  12:55:25 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!!

Well, I a little late in perusing the posts on wine, but I just have to comment on good ole Boone's Farm Apple Wine. Have not thought about it in years!

Boone's Farm Apple was actually my very first Farm Girl experience when I was a Freshman in college in Indiana. I think that it was about 99 cents a bottle, and we could buy it near campus at a convenience store even though we were underage. My friends and I formed a group and called ourselves the "BOONES FARM GANG." I think that there were 5 of us. We even had t-shirts made. I dropped out of my very snooty sorority to become a Boone's Farmer. The Sorority girls could not believe it. One even stopped me in the dorm one day and said "I can't believe that you left us to become a Boone's Farmer!" We took dozens of photos; I will have to see if I can find them in my old albums. Our crowning glory was when we were featured on a fraternity calendar; think that we were "December" However, there were no skimpy clothes for us; we all were wearing our red Boone's Farm t-shirts, bell bottom jeans and had long straight hair parted down the middle!!! Ah, the excesses of youth!!!!!!! Lots of funs!!!

I will have to dig these photos out and show them to my nieces who are students at the University of Texas in Austin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  2:19:42 PM  Show Profile
That is too funny Connie! Alot of us of a certain age have had varied and probably unmentionable experiences with ole Boone's Farm. My fav was the Strawberry Hill! It is not that much more expensive in cost over the last 30 years. I believe now it is a whopping 3 bucks! Would love to see that picture of ya! Have you heard of Night Train? It's along the same line as BF. Pure YUK!!!!

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  6:01:54 PM  Show Profile
Anybody but me like =Ever had Vouvray? any Claret's?

connio the calendar girl! great memory! still in touch with the boone farmers?

Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2005 :  09:52:47 AM  Show Profile
I'm just a few days into the Farmgirl Connection, and just found the wine talk! A little behind, but wanted to jump in...
Y'all know a lot more than I do - I just know what I like and stick with it! Pretty much Bella Serra Pinot Grigio - cheap and tasty! Unwrinkle your noses.
Favorite weekend afternoon meal: Aged Black Diamond white cheddar cheese, soprosatta sausage, baguette, with or without dipping oil, red grapes or pears and Bella.
I'm having a family brunch next Sunday for my Dad's b-day. We'll have scrambled eggs (good, made with cream), roasted asparagus, sour cream coffee cake, fruit and mimosas. Any recommendations for champagne around $10?
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2005 :  10:26:10 AM  Show Profile
KJD--I love Bella Serra Pinot Grigio!!! That stuff is way good. I've been hooked on a local wine here. They have white, blush, red, chardonnay, and they are all wonderful. A little pricier but well worth it.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2005 :  2:27:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi KJD! Your meal and pinot grig sounds wonderful and mighty tasty! I love pinot Grigio and I'll look up the Bella next time I wine shop. Champagne is made in a region called Champagne in France...it is really pricey. The sparkling wines (which are just like Champagne) are just as good and much cheaper. Try Seaview Coastal Brut from Australia around 10 bucks, Paul Cheneau Sparkling Wine from Spain around the same price. Both great, and much more budget minded than the French champagne. Lonestargal, Lucky you for being in Texas! Great wines down there! WE can't get them here in Kansas, unfortunately. I tried some when on vacation there a few years ago!

Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2005 :  2:58:48 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the reminder of Paul Chenau!! I have a friend who throws a great Christmas party and only serves champagne. That's her brand!
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2005 :  3:23:18 PM  Show Profile
Too Funny... I was reading thru these posts thinking "where's the Boone's Farms"
I have drank many, many bottles of Boone's (maybe it's a Indiana thing)
I actually still like a few flavors of Boone's when budget won't allow the pricier wines.
I can't wait to try the lemon recipe. I also have a rose hip schnapp recipe I want to make when the hips are ripe.
We hava a few local winery's that are really great
http://www.frenchlickwinery.com/ this is one of my favorites
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2005 :  3:33:41 PM  Show Profile
Bridge! Thanks for posting the link! Very impressive! Alot of those wines Kansas produces too! Wonder why the name French Lick???? Hmmmm.... I like it! Would like to hear your personal review of some of them!

Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  04:40:28 AM  Show Profile
Bridge
Do you live near the Blue River? I kayaked it and the Driftwood.Got swamped in one rapid and ended up with a Hellbender in my boat! Man those are snotty feeling!
French Lick is the next town over from WestBaden where the winery is. Lots of springs and caves to spelunk in this area.
Look at these photographs off the winery site:go to AmyDrake's Nature Gallery beautiful shots!
http://www.smalltownphotographs.com/

Baack to wine.
Sparkling Vouvray meets my wallet at 11$ and my mouth with loads of tight bubbles. Domaine Gangneux.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  11:08:32 AM  Show Profile
Yummmmy!!!! Tight bubbles is what IT'S all about! Will try this soon! Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  11:46:19 AM  Show Profile
It is the town where the winery is.
Here is the history of the name
How French Lick Got It's Name
Many years ago, this area has a number of mineral springs. Water that contained a lot of minerals bubbled up out of the ground. As the water evaporated from the nearby rocks, mineral deposits were left on the rocks.

During this period of time, before the white man came to this area, there were great herds of buffalo, bison, deer, and other game animals in the area. Food for these animals was plentiful as was drinking water and other necessities for these animals, but most importantly, the animals craved the minerals in the deposits on the rocks. The animals were very plentiful in this area because there were here to lick the rocks in order to get their supply of minerals that they needed for their health.

Various tribes of American Indians came to this area to hunt the animals for food, furs, and hides for clothing. Some Indians came from far away, and spent longer periods of time here before leaving. Because of the animals licking at the rocks for the mineral deposits, the Indians called this immediate area, “Lick Springs”.

The first White men that came to the area were French traders, and they came here to trade with the Indians for the Indians’ furs and hides. Later on, other people started calling the area “French Lick Springs”.

I live 15 minutes from French lick and about 30 from Blue River
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  12:14:16 PM  Show Profile
Kathy - another company that carries a really easy to use cork screw is The Pampered Chef, it goes for $19. It comes with a foil cutter, also. You place the cork screw over the cork, start turning the handle and don't stop until the cork is out - kind of like using a can opener. You can't miss with it. It's worked like a charm everytime I've used it. And if you go to my profile, you'll be able to get one without leaving your house with the click of a mouse.

This has been a very interesting thread to read through. Personally, I'm a cheap wine drinker, preferring it on the sweeter side than dry. I don't know much of anything about wines and food pairings, but see now that if I keep reading all your posts, I will be able to learn as much as I want from everyone. You all are so knowledgeable; that's fantastic! I've thought about taking a class or two at one of the wine shops in town, it just never developed into anything more than a thought. Goodness knows I love having a glass of wine every now and then, it would be even better if I knew a little more about what I'm drinking. And from the looks of it I have a lot to learn, but who better from, than a bunch of friends.

I'm glad you all started sharing about this subject, this will be lots of fun learning and taste testing. Cheers!

In His hands,
Lynda

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
Go to Top of Page

ksuprincess97
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Sara
AL
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  06:21:21 AM  Show Profile  Send ksuprincess97 a Yahoo! Message
Wine, what a great subject!

Meadowlark-your posts made me laugh and brought back memories of drinking way too much Boones and Night Train in college. A friend of mine had Night Train parties every month with cases of the nasty stuff and Mountain Dew to chase it with.

I drink mostly red wines and prefer Syrah/Shiraz and Merlot. My favorite is Fess Parker Syrah, and the inexpensive one I usually keep on hand is Yellow Tail Shiraz. I like Chandon sparkling whites also. The best champagne I've had so far is Perrier-Jouet, it was amazing!
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  11:34:03 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I like Yellow Tail, too.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow

Edited by - Kim on Sep 15 2005 11:34:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  11:41:15 AM  Show Profile
Ahhh memories Sara...I remember the purple passion parties in college. Could not handle that...everclear and grape juice. Night train was consistently ghastly wine! Yellow tail is great...try the Rosemont Shiraz from Australia, very good too.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Wine Talk Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page