Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 I think I am suffering from depression
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic I think I am suffering from depression Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2007 :  10:05:02 AM  Show Profile
Melani,
Just wanted to add (((hugs))) from me too!!!

Ellen in MI
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2007 :  11:12:55 AM  Show Profile
Melanie- Just read. I find that when I have a question or a problem, turning to the scriptures always provides me with an answer. You just have to look for it sometimes. But, here is a place you can look for assurance that you are being watched over and cared for- John 14:27.
((((Big hug))))-

Karin
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2007 :  11:49:09 AM  Show Profile
Melanie - God is already providing! As a new Christian, you (and all of us as Christians) are like the little child who can put their hand in the hand of a parent or trusted adult and know that all will be well. Trusting like a little child is the same kind of trust we need for our faith. Start there, and get a book of daily inspirational scripture readings.

Also, cutting the credit cards.....very smart idea! You are free now! Anyway, hugs still coming your way from me.

Ephesians 1:17
Go to Top of Page

simpler1773
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Ricki
Ashland Wisconsin
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2007 :  11:58:51 AM  Show Profile  Send simpler1773 a Yahoo! Message
Melanie ~ So glad you checked in and that you talked to your husband (((hugs)) It's all a process hon, hang in there!

~Ricki~
You can't pour anything out of an empty vessel, take care of yourself!
Go to Top of Page

EmmJay
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Mary Jane
Amherst Nova Scotia
Canada
352 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  08:30:02 AM  Show Profile
Melanie * So glad you talked with hubby. Remember I am only a short trip or phone call away. As a new (again) Christian, I just thank GOD for coming back into my life, and ask for help in whatever I need at any time. I am not one to ask how to pray, as it is something between myself and GOD, and I truly do not think that he cares about how I pray, I am sure he is happy that I pray, and involve him in my life.
Keep care, and again, I am not far.....Keep Smiling and Praying!
MJ

"Thank GOD I'm a country girl"
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/EmmJay07/
Go to Top of Page

EmmJay
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Mary Jane
Amherst Nova Scotia
Canada
352 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  08:33:57 AM  Show Profile
Melanie * So glad you talked with hubby. Remember I am only a short trip or phone call away. As a new (again) Christian, I just thank GOD for coming back into my life, and ask for help in whatever I need at any time. I am not one to ask how to pray, as it is something between myself and GOD, and I truly do not think that he cares about how I pray, I am sure he is happy that I pray, and involve him in my life.
Keep care, and again, I am not far.....Keep Smiling and Praying!

"Thank GOD I'm a country girl"
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/EmmJay07/
Go to Top of Page

primjillie
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Jill
Antelope CA
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  09:28:38 AM  Show Profile
My mom is suffering from depression and SAD and has had a terrible time this winter. The doctor put her on Zoloft and Wellbutrin, and it is finally helping after 4-5 weeks. She was very disappointed it took so long, but it is a slow process, so don't expect too much too soon. We tried to get her to do things, to go outside, etc. but she refused. It is hard when they are older and especially being my mother. Don't be afraid to take the medications if that is what you need ~ it is important to take care of yourself and get better! It can be a long, tough road, so be patient.
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  12:02:11 PM  Show Profile
Mella,

Hugs to you. As far as friends go, I know it's hard sometimes to make new ones. I went through the same thing when we moved here. All I can say is to do things that you really enjoy and hopefully you will meet some like-minded folks. I'm thinking about you.

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  12:44:39 PM  Show Profile
I am just taking it day by day. I am surrounding myself with things I love........my husband, my animals, peppermint tea, great soothing nature music, hot baths......today I went to town (I seem to be going to town a lot lately) and I only bought a coffee!!!!
thanks so very much ladies for everything

independent consultant with Epicure Selections www.epicureselections.com "Everyday gourmet simply by opening a jar!"
Go to Top of Page

shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  3:12:10 PM  Show Profile
(((Melanie)))

I am so glad you spoke to your husband and that he was understanding. He sounds like he is a good man. Remember we are here for you if you need us too.

Shelle

http://janzenfamilyjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  3:37:18 PM  Show Profile
Melanie-- I'm glad to hear things are working out for you. If you feel you would like more guidance in your Bible study, you should look into getting a Bible with an subject index at the back. It can help you find exactly what you're looking for. And in terms of meeting people in your new place, have you thought of joining any groups pertaining to your interests, perhaps and garden or book club, for example? I feel like it can be hard to make friends as an adult sometimes, but joining a group seems to be one of the easiest ways to do it.

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

Opening in March 2007:
http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

momtoeight
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Laura
Medicine Bow WY
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  8:06:30 PM  Show Profile
Depression can be hard to handle, and it really does feel like you are down inside a tunnel where the world has lost it's color. Here are things that worked for me:

1. Stop the guilt cycle. Guilt feeds on itself and makes depression worse. If you did something, make it right and let it go - don't let it rule you. If you are beating yourself up, that is not good. Guilt is supposed to encourage us to fix problems - if it doesn't do that (if it is just keeping us stopped, or if it is still ruling us after we have corrected something), then it is no longer a helpful thing. Recognize that depression does things to your willpower, and don't use that as an excuse, but do be gentle with yourself.
2. Nutritional deficiencies in Potassium and Magnesium can cause depression. Try bananas, prunes, romaine lettuce, and other healthy sources of those nutrients (I have to have bananas or prunes 2-3 times a day, plus salads).
3. If you use St. John's Wort, try combining it with Borage Oil (just one or two capsules a day). It seems to lightly enhance the SJW, and also does great things for your skin! Watch out with SJW though, you can get VERY sensitive to sunlight and burn easily.
4. One of the hard things about depression is that it makes it hard to ask for help. When you can, let people around you know who can support you, and ask them to check up on you regularly. Sometimes just a phone call can make a huge difference.
5. Simplify your life. Let the non-essential things go, and do NOT allow yourself to feel guilty about it. You'll know when it is time to add them back in again - or perhaps you never will and you'll find you can do without them. Either way is ok.
6. Someone once told me that depression changes the way you see things. Life happens around you, and your eyes and ears take the events in, but before you can react to them, your brain changes them - so what you FEEL is happening, and what IS happening, are two different things. That means that your reactions would be PERFECTLY NORMAL.... IF what you thought was happening really WAS happening. This can make you feel like other people do not like you, like you are a failure, etc. I call this "looking at the world through mud colored glasses". If you can realize when you are feeling discouraged, frustrated over daily hassles, overwhelmed, or incapable, that these feelings are NOT based on what is really happening, but that they are there because the situation has been warped by the depression before it got to you, then you can sometimes step back and reassess and respond in a better way.

Best wishes for healing.

Firelight Web Studio - http://www.firelightwebstudio.com - Small Business Website Services with a Difference - Personal, Flexible, and Friendly
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2007 :  08:56:30 AM  Show Profile
I keep thinking that maybe what might help is to sit down with my journal.....I used to be an avid writer, havne't written in years..... and write down all of the things that are bugging me/making me sad and then try to work them out one by one......I really don't want to go to my Dr right now as I really don't want to take pills. I am on a fertility pill right now and I don't want any other meds to intefere with that.
I went for a walk yesterday with my dogs. The sun has been shinig quite a bit here and I do love the cold.....anyway.thanks so much everyone........your kind words sure are uplifting!!!

"learn to watch snails" SARK
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2007 :  09:06:21 AM  Show Profile
I think journaling is such a wonderful idea Melanie!!!
Hey..could the fertility pills be messing with your mind right now too??
Getting out in the sunshine is such a good idea..and my dogs always have a way of making me feel happy. Hang in there!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2007 :  09:09:22 AM  Show Profile
hey Jenny
Absolutely, those fertility pills could be messing things up. But I was like this before too..........oh, who knows! Aren't dogs great!!

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2007 :  07:37:22 AM  Show Profile
Melanie- I hope you are feeling better soon, but just wanted to join in with the last few comments about the fertility pills. I have a very close friend who went through years of trying to get pregnant by whatever means is out there today. At one point she was so depressed (from meds) she was dramatically not herself. Maybe a dr's visit wouldn't be a bad idea, there are so many options available or maybe it's just as simple as a dosage issue. Don't make yourself crazy feeling bad, it might be something easy to remedy. And by all means cherish yourself and treat yourself to some things you really enjoy (they don't have to be $$$ things). I'm glad you have a kind and supportive husband, that is a blessing. I had a hard time getting and staying pregnant and everyone kept telling me to relax and it would happen. Not easy to accept when I was 33 and so very ready for a family. There were medical reasons but inspite of them I did get pregnant when I least expected it. So... there is hope on that front too! Sending you a big hug and I hope you know from everyone here that you are not alone.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2007 :  08:29:04 AM  Show Profile
I agree with bramble, it's best to go to the doctor to let him know what's going on, just to keep him informed. No one can force you to take more medication. But he sould know what is happening with you.

Journaling would be a great way for you to sort out what you are feeling as well as art. My stepmother went through a period of depession when she was younger and she showed me some of the artwork she did. It helped.

And of course we are always here for you. i am on depression medication, so I can relate to what you are going through.

(((hugs)))

Blessed Be!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
http://chevy49girl.livejournal.com/

http://chevy49girl.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2007 :  08:37:32 AM  Show Profile
Melanie,
You may e-mail me privately if you ever wish to talk or vent or whatever!

Blessed Be!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
http://chevy49girl.livejournal.com/

http://chevy49girl.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  08:51:18 AM  Show Profile
Hi Melanie. I know exactly what you're going through, as I, too, suffer from depression. I do take a prescription, Prozac, for a few years now, but I think it's not as affective anymore. At first, I noticed a big difference and it still does help a little, but not too much. I do hold a full time job and manage to muddle through what I have to do in life, but I don't seem to have energy. I'm always tired and sometimes I just don't feel like leaving my house. I also spend too much money. Today is a really sunny beautiful day, not too cold, and I was thinking it would be nice to go out and do something. I feel so tired that I'm still in bed, even though I'm typing on my pc, and I feel like I want to go back to sleep. I do feel happy at times, and I feel I have a lot to be thankful for, but it's always that funk or black cloud over me. I live alone, and am not married or have children, so at least it's not affecting anyone else. The past posts sound like real good advice and make a lot of sense. You should tell your husband and let him know what you're going through. Acknowledging that you don't feel like yourself and confiding to your husband is a good first step! As for me, I'm going to give myself a kick in the butt and get myself out today! Take care! Judy P.S. I just read the first page of the thread before I wrote this. I'm glad you told your hubby and are taking the right steps! Good for you!

Edited by - junkjunkie on Feb 24 2007 09:01:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  7:53:21 PM  Show Profile
oh girls, you are all so very kind. I went to my Dr the other day. We talked for hours. We both agreed, for now, not to go on any meds as I am taking fertility pills to try and get pregnant (this is my first month on the pills and we/ I feel that they haven't made me more or less depressed) He asked me to keep a week long journal of what I eat, drink, how much I sleep, when I go to sleep , exercise, fresh air intake......just write everything down...it seems like a good idea for now. I am getting out of bed and going to work and for the most part, am fine........I do feel the same as Judy.....I do feel happy, and I also am thankful for a lot of things, but I too, seem to have a wee bit of a black cloud over my head........but I must say that it is soooooo very good to be able to talk to all of you and read all of the wonderful things you have to say. And thanks for those of you that have shared your trials and tribulations as well

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  10:02:19 PM  Show Profile
I think about you all the time Mel..hang in there!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic I think I am suffering from depression Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page